General Washington's Tavern Porter - Yards Brewing Co.

General Washington's Tavern PorterGeneral Washington's Tavern Porter

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Porter |  7.00% ABV

Detailed in a letter from the General to his officers during the war, Washington’s recipe employed molasses to aid fermentation and give rich caramel notes to this robust, roasty ale. The recipe reflected his admiration for Philadelphia-style porters, especially those brewed by Robert Hare (whose original brewery stood just blocks from where ours is now). Our Tavern Porter, inspired by Washington’s, is dark, smooth, and complex with just a hint of dried fruit in the finish.

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 09-30-2003)

Poured into glass. Head was about 2 fingers and the color was dark and rich not quite yet black. Taste was smooth and malty. Overall mouthful, this beer went down really smooth and was no after taste to it. Overall a good beer just the way General Washington intended it to be. Thumbs up and Bottoms Up

4.94/5  rDev +29.3%

Porter is one of my favorite style's. This one is a standout. Perfect porter profile, sweet chocolate and coffee notes. Subtle hop profile. Nice head and great finish TRY THIS BEER!!!! Its a great…nay the best porter in PA. I would put this up against founders and great lakes for the best representation of the style. I am glad I bought this case. I will be savoring it this winter!

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a very dark brown where if you look at the base of the pint in my picture it is actually quite clear with a tan one finger head that remains as a full ring and center cap on top of the beer and leaves a very nice wet lacing pattern on the glass.

The aroma is of molasses, caramel malts, milk chocolate, vanilla, a hint of bread and sweet dark fruit with not much in the way of hops, maybe something piney, but so distant that I can't make it out.

The taste is a very similar profile as it's nose. In fact, just reread what I wrote above and add in a mild bitter finish that balances the beer almost perfectly if not perfect (to keep it from being overly sweet) and leaves you slightly dry and in complete anticipation of the next sip! A slight peppery tastes lingers as well and there is no hint of the high 7% ABV content of this beer.

Mouthfeel is definitely creamy, smooth, slightly sweet and very full in body. The carbonation is just under moderate and refreshing. Mildly dry finish.

Overall, I would like to say that this beer is world class. I think that some may argue with that assessment on the grounds that it may be too sweet with too much molasses or somehow doesn't completely fit with the grain bill. But it seems to me that this is a pretty broad category in beers and allows for such differences. I'm going out on a limb here and calling this 5 out of 5. It's so very complex, sweet yet dry, balanced with the only hint of the ABV being the warming feeling in my stomach. World Class!

4.7/5  rDev +23%

Poured a very deep brown color with reddish highlights. Moderate creamy off-white head that left slight lacing as the glass. emptied. Smell is toasty with very strong notes of dark bitter chocolate. Taste is reminicent of strong black slightly bitter coffee. Some nice ripe dark fruit taste is also present. The alcohol is slightly present, but really compliments the other flavors in the beer. Finish slows a moderate bitterness, mixed with coffee and chocolate and leaves a truly excellent taste in the mouth. Nice and creamy. A perfectly balanced beer. Excellent.

4.65/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: Pours a nice dark amber color. Definitely "porter" colored. Has a nice head.

Smell: Nice rich, roasted, porter smell.

Taste: Complex, rich, roasted. I don't really taste chocolate, but then again I'm not much for chocolate in my beer.

Mouthfeel: Not overly carbonated, but has a smooth feel.

Overall: I'm glad I picked this one. Can't have more than 2 in one night, but that just makes my stock last longer.

4.55/5  rDev +19.1%

Had this beer on tap at the City Tavern in historic Philadelphia. I think the fact that my wife and I sampled this brew in such a significant historic setting may have influenced my review of this beer quite a bit. Still, we both loved this porter.

The bartender at the tavern showed us the original recipe copied from the original book written over 200 years ago. It was very interesting to see how it was described. One could not try to clone this brew from the ancient formula, but it was interesting to see the wort to molasses ratio involved. The molasses had much to do with it's smoothness and sweetness.

Another historic fact about this particular beer is that it's original ABV was 17%!

We spoke with chef/proprietor Walter Staib who told us it took quite a few trials and errors to reduce the ABV down to its present 7% and get the taste right. That, they certainly did! Very good porter!

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

General Washington's Tavern Porter from Yards Brewing Co.