Pynk - Yards Brewing Co.

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

We brew each batch with over 3,000 pounds of fresh raspberries and both sour and sweet cherries. The addition of fruit prior to fermentation makes this crisp ale tart instead of sweet. It’s pink in color of course, light-bodied, and refreshing with delicate, delectable berry aromas. We’ll bet the farm that there’s no better autumn seasonal around.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 10-26-2003)

I love it. It has a great refreshing taste and is for a good cause!

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

4.48/5  rDev +27.3%

4.36/5  rDev +23.9%

4.35/5  rDev +23.6%

This was a good lambic. The beer looked great, but I must say the best thing about the beer was that they did not make this too sweet. This made it very drinkable and less like a fizzy fruit drink and more like the fruit beer it should be. A real treat. This balance in taste made it much more drinkable. I would definitely have this again.

The beer distributor at the bar told me they separate this beer in the brewery so the yeast don't make the other beers sour. This made sense and when you drink it you'll understand. You could definitely taste some of the sourness, which along with the hops moderated the fruit.

4.33/5  rDev +23%

Its clear, reddish-orange body is capped by a short but creamy head of delicate white foam that drops to a razor-thin lid but somehow manages to leaves some thin, lingering lace about the glass. The nose is lightly sweet and delicately tart with a slight Brettanomyces character (barnyard, horse blanket, wet hay, etc.) that's not strong enough to keep the uninitiated away, but strong enough to keep the aficianado's interest. The body is thin and it's gently crisp on the tongue with a fine carbonation. The flavor follows the suggestion of the nose with a mild sweet-tart character laced around delicate fruit (berries and cherry, but not particularily raspberry per se). It finishes short and dry, leaving the palate yearning for another taste as it's been tempted but not satiated. This is an exceptionally drinkable beer! Easily and without a doubt, the most balanced "infected" beer I've ever had. It may not be from Belgium, but it's certainly worth trying!

4.28/5  rDev +21.6%

Very happy to enjoy several small glasses at the Yards Brewery tasting room, Philadelphia-on-Delaware, PA.

Pleasing pale orange/pink slightly cloudy brew with minimal head formation.

The aroma is berries and cherry, with a hint of lambic-type funk. Mouthfeel light a la wit. Flavor of tangy berries and a lemony sourness that is looking towards true lambicville but still plays it safe; however, I applaud this effort wholeheartedly for this is no fruity-sweet soda-pop fruit beer but a true, refreshing hybrid that I would say falls somewhere between true fruit lambic and fruit-wit. Yards is a serious and talented artisanal brewery that deserves accolades for creating well-conceived authentic efforts like Pynk as it serves up hoppy goodness for the American beer masses.

Perfect summer quaffer!! If only it had been a sweltering muggy Philly summer day instead of damp, cool and rainy.

4.28/5  rDev +21.6%

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

This review is for the bottled version, dtd M, 02 Dec 2013. I am not going to touch my original review.

From the bottle: "When we first got into brewing, it was just to make beer for ourselves. Friends liked it, so we made more. As our circle of friends has grown, so has our line of handcrafted ales. We're proud of each and every one we brew. We hope you and your friends enjoy them as much as we do."; "Released from the archives, PYNK is crafted with the freshest raspberries and sour cherries around. ith a subtle berry aroma and touch of sweetness, this light-bodied, tart ale is all-too-drinkable."

I LOVE the recumbent, satiated piggy of the label! I am often referred to as "a drunken pig" or some such and so I identify with him.

I have to admit - little has changed. Once more, it looked like cotton candy for head and I was laughing. The color was much lighter, more like rose wine and the clarity was button-bright. SRM = N/A in this case. The raspberry nose made me want to weep for my grandmother's garden and the resulting pies and preserves from her annual yield. The mouthfeel was slightly thin, but the tartness spoke to truth in advertising. It was not puckeringly tart, but neither was it sweet. This little piggy was licking his lips. Finish was tart and dry and I would have some more of this.

Original on-tap review, dtd 25 Nov 2006 follows:

I just wanted to laugh as I looked at this beer in my glass. The head looked like fresh spun cotton candy and the beer's color was a hazy, dark-pynk, I mean, pink. The nose was rich and sweet with raspberries. It reminded me of my paternal grandmother's (R.I.P.) raspberry patch in her backyard garden when I was a lad. The mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a sweetish raspberry flavor, not unlike jam, on the tongue. The finish was more dry and tart, more like what I expected at the outset. I am giving this high marks for drinkability as this was only its second release in three years, so I recommend getting while you can.

Politically Incorrect Phrasing Alert: If you are easily offended or have an abbreviated sense of humor, please do not read any further.

It's not a guaranteed panty-peeler, but it will go a long way towards achieving the desired result.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

It's not as "tart" as the label promises, which is probably why I like it so much. It's sweet and it's pink and I don't care who sees me drinking it. It's damn good.

4.16/5  rDev +18.2%

4.15/5  rDev +17.9%

I’m very glad I got to try this beer. I think it is supposed to be Yards’ interpretation of a Framboise Lambic and I applaude them for the effort – and for the product. The beer was served in a traditional Belgium chalice and the color alone really made me stop and admire this beer. It was a light ruby red, very clear and was topped with a creamy pink head. There’s a slightly sweet, slightly sour tart aroma. The taste is fine with raspberry juice, cherries, oranges and plums prominent. Tangy sweet, light and refreshing with a dry finish.

This beer reminds of a simple light lager with raspberry juice, but it’s a little more complex than that. Very interesting.

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance and aroma are very similar to a quality Belgian lambic. Doesn't have the appearance of carbonated fruit punch that many American-made lambics take on. Hazy peach colored body with a pinkish hue. Nose is very tart with signature lambic qualities, ie barnyard, mud, wet grass, etc. Fruity cherry aroma is subtle underneath. Not nearly as dry or tart as anything from say, Cantillon, but right up there with Lindeman's. Tart fruity flavor just starts to build before dying to just about nothing save for a little dryness in the finish. I'd prefer a little more tartness in the finish. Needless to say though, it still leaves you wanting more. A very nice American interpretation.

Taste is of strawberry, cherry, raspberry with a bit of sourness that I suspect comes from the raspberries. This one is slightly sweet and has a beer taste on top of the fruit. Very well done as I am glad I bought a six pack.

Sour like a Lambic. You're going to like it or you won't. Not overly sweet or malty.

Pynk from Yards Brewing Co.