Pynk - Yards Brewing Co.

Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 10-26-2003

We brew each batch with over 3,000 pounds of fresh raspberries and both sour and sweet cherries. The addition of fruit prior to fermentation makes this crisp ale tart instead of sweet. It’s pink in color of course, light-bodied, and refreshing with delicate, delectable berry aromas. We’ll bet the farm that there’s no better autumn seasonal around.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.33/5  rDev +17%

This was a good lambic. The beer looked great, but I must say the best thing about the beer was that they did not make this too sweet. This made it very drinkable and less like a fizzy fruit drink and more like the fruit beer it should be. A real treat. This balance in taste made it much more drinkable. I would definitely have this again.

The beer distributor at the bar told me they separate this beer in the brewery so the yeast don't make the other beers sour. This made sense and when you drink it you'll understand. You could definitely taste some of the sourness, which along with the hops moderated the fruit.

4.3/5  rDev +16.2%

Its clear, reddish-orange body is capped by a short but creamy head of delicate white foam that drops to a razor-thin lid but somehow manages to leaves some thin, lingering lace about the glass. The nose is lightly sweet and delicately tart with a slight Brettanomyces character (barnyard, horse blanket, wet hay, etc.) that's not strong enough to keep the uninitiated away, but strong enough to keep the aficianado's interest. The body is thin and it's gently crisp on the tongue with a fine carbonation. The flavor follows the suggestion of the nose with a mild sweet-tart character laced around delicate fruit (berries and cherry, but not particularily raspberry per se). It finishes short and dry, leaving the palate yearning for another taste as it's been tempted but not satiated. This is an exceptionally drinkable beer! Easily and without a doubt, the most balanced "infected" beer I've ever had. It may not be from Belgium, but it's certainly worth trying!

4.27/5  rDev +15.4%

This review is for the bottled version, dtd M, 02 Dec 2013. I am not going to touch my original review.

From the bottle: "When we first got into brewing, it was just to make beer for ourselves. Friends liked it, so we made more. As our circle of friends has grown, so has our line of handcrafted ales. We're proud of each and every one we brew. We hope you and your friends enjoy them as much as we do."; "Released from the archives, PYNK is crafted with the freshest raspberries and sour cherries around. ith a subtle berry aroma and touch of sweetness, this light-bodied, tart ale is all-too-drinkable."

I LOVE the recumbent, satiated piggy of the label! I am often referred to as "a drunken pig" or some such and so I identify with him.

I have to admit - little has changed. Once more, it looked like cotton candy for head and I was laughing. The color was much lighter, more like rose wine and the clarity was button-bright. SRM = N/A in this case. The raspberry nose made me want to weep for my grandmother's garden and the resulting pies and preserves from her annual yield. The mouthfeel was slightly thin, but the tartness spoke to truth in advertising. It was not puckeringly tart, but neither was it sweet. This little piggy was licking his lips. Finish was tart and dry and I would have some more of this.

Original on-tap review, dtd 25 Nov 2006 follows:

I just wanted to laugh as I looked at this beer in my glass. The head looked like fresh spun cotton candy and the beer's color was a hazy, dark-pynk, I mean, pink. The nose was rich and sweet with raspberries. It reminded me of my paternal grandmother's (R.I.P.) raspberry patch in her backyard garden when I was a lad. The mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a sweetish raspberry flavor, not unlike jam, on the tongue. The finish was more dry and tart, more like what I expected at the outset. I am giving this high marks for drinkability as this was only its second release in three years, so I recommend getting while you can.

Politically Incorrect Phrasing Alert: If you are easily offended or have an abbreviated sense of humor, please do not read any further.

It's not a guaranteed panty-peeler, but it will go a long way towards achieving the desired result.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

Very happy to enjoy several small glasses at the Yards Brewery tasting room, Philadelphia-on-Delaware, PA.

Pleasing pale orange/pink slightly cloudy brew with minimal head formation.

The aroma is berries and cherry, with a hint of lambic-type funk. Mouthfeel light a la wit. Flavor of tangy berries and a lemony sourness that is looking towards true lambicville but still plays it safe; however, I applaud this effort wholeheartedly for this is no fruity-sweet soda-pop fruit beer but a true, refreshing hybrid that I would say falls somewhere between true fruit lambic and fruit-wit. Yards is a serious and talented artisanal brewery that deserves accolades for creating well-conceived authentic efforts like Pynk as it serves up hoppy goodness for the American beer masses.

Perfect summer quaffer!! If only it had been a sweltering muggy Philly summer day instead of damp, cool and rainy.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

It's not as "tart" as the label promises, which is probably why I like it so much. It's sweet and it's pink and I don't care who sees me drinking it. It's damn good.

4.16/5  rDev +12.4%

I’m very glad I got to try this beer. I think it is supposed to be Yards’ interpretation of a Framboise Lambic and I applaude them for the effort – and for the product. The beer was served in a traditional Belgium chalice and the color alone really made me stop and admire this beer. It was a light ruby red, very clear and was topped with a creamy pink head. There’s a slightly sweet, slightly sour tart aroma. The taste is fine with raspberry juice, cherries, oranges and plums prominent. Tangy sweet, light and refreshing with a dry finish.

This beer reminds of a simple light lager with raspberry juice, but it’s a little more complex than that. Very interesting.

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance and aroma are very similar to a quality Belgian lambic. Doesn't have the appearance of carbonated fruit punch that many American-made lambics take on. Hazy peach colored body with a pinkish hue. Nose is very tart with signature lambic qualities, ie barnyard, mud, wet grass, etc. Fruity cherry aroma is subtle underneath. Not nearly as dry or tart as anything from say, Cantillon, but right up there with Lindeman's. Tart fruity flavor just starts to build before dying to just about nothing save for a little dryness in the finish. I'd prefer a little more tartness in the finish. Needless to say though, it still leaves you wanting more. A very nice American interpretation.

Taste is of strawberry, cherry, raspberry with a bit of sourness that I suspect comes from the raspberries. This one is slightly sweet and has a beer taste on top of the fruit. Very well done as I am glad I bought a six pack.

Wow, what an interesting beer. It is a light red, from what appears to be the combination of a gold beer base with the red coming from the fruit.

The basic flavor is very crisp. In the aftertaste, there is definitely an intentional sourness from the bacteria lambic style fermentation. The fruit is not heavy handed. It doesn't cover up the sourness, more leads into it. In this way, it is not a Lindemans style lambic. In a way this is rather nice as the super sweet fruit beer is pretty standard now.

All in all an interesting experiment. It won't make most people see god, but damn finely crafted.

It reminds me of a lambic. It's got really good raspberry notes as well as some strawberry. The sourness isn't too harsh, and it results in a nice balance of flavors.

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: The name is spot on: it's Pynk.

Smell: Faint gummy bears. Doesn't really fit the beer.

Taste: Subtle tart sour with also subtle berries. Starts the same as it finishes.

Feel: Thin with a good amount of carbonation.

Overall: A good session beer, Pynk could be a good bridge to Sourtown.

3.96/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a pink-ish ruby red color. Its pink puffy head and lace stuck around pretty well despite showing little carbonation underneath. Rare for a lambic to retain a head this well but this beer was super-fresh and on a fairly pressurized draught.

Smell was very sour with that quintessential lambic presence - the wild off-shoots from the yeast. It did not have the full range or vibrancy of, say, Cantillon lambics but an impressive showing nonetheless. Taste was sour, vinegary, yeasty, and with a little funk - altogether a solid display of lambic goodness. Had a small cherry presence, larger raspberry presence. Juicy and very drinkable, with a bare finish. Great tart flavor. Impressive

This a fantastic session beer, though the draught made it a bit too pressurized, creating a not-so-natural carbonation feeling. Within the spectrum of lambics its between Lindeman’s and Cantillon, tilting much toward the latter. A lot better than any other beer they make save the ESA. By chance I sat next to one of their brewers, Joe, at Dirty Frank's and he confirmed they follow the book on belgian fruit lambics down to everything but the wild results of Brussels’ open air. Bravo. Get it if you're in Philadelphia.

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

i love sour and raspberries but this wasn't as good, to me, as Victory's Kirsch Gose. i know its a different style but it's similar in my mind. enjoyable light sour beer but nothing spectacular. a refreshing beer when you don't want something too malty or bitter

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

It pours a deep pinkish orange that goes dark pink in the right light, and it's nicely carbonated. A finger of very light pink head settles quickly to Peter Max froth on the surface. Lacing lays a toile pattern on the inside of the glass.

The aroma is a mix of light malt, a surprisingly generic cherry/berry character, and a slight lambic funk, but it's a bit thinner than expected and it blurs at the edges.

Upon tasting, there's a quick drip of maltiness that is instantly countermanded by the syrupy essence of raspberry, itself unexpectedly devoid of any real fruit sweetness, though again, it is redolent of the berries regardless. A tangy yeast bite accompanies a tart, lemony lambic-esque earthy edge. A decided bitterness takes over toward the close, crisping an already dry aura, and carrying a bit in the finish. The genuine raspberry presence is the star, with a nice supporting cast.

It's got a peppy, bubbly presence that mates with the fruity tartness to leave a pleasant feel on the palate.

It has as much real raspberry character as any beer I've had, but the surprise came in the lack of ensuing fruit sweetness. And that's not a knock, because the fruit and funkiness combine to make it a very drinkable concoction, and the brisk finish makes it refreshing. The name isn't exactly a stellar choice, but the beer it labels is something I'll order again, in spite of what it's called.

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

App: Very clear cherry red color with light pink foamy head and nice lacing.
Aroma: Some nice fruitiness from light wild fermentation from the raspberries. Nice front raspberry sweet smell. Overall, light tart and crisp with some lemon and wheat characteristics.
Taste: This might use the Yards' "saison" yeast, but not sure. Lemon, wheat and raspberry up front with a tart middle and slightly funky crisp yeast finish. It could use a bit more of this funkiness all around, but I understand that this beer was made for the introductory American beer consumer.
Mouth: Dry, ok carbonation, light and crisp.
Drink: Yeah, definitely a session beer.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

The beer pours out into a Duvel glass a medium pink-tined amber with a 1" head of finely bubbled what foam that slowly settels to a thin layer on the liquid and leaving a ring and patches of leggy foam on the sides of the glass. Sipping creates sheets of foam that quickly slide back down leaving multiple small patches of foam on the sides.

The aroma is definitely fruity with the raspberries mostly in charge but there seems to be a background of cherry as well. There's really not much in the way of malt or hop in the background and the berries are in charge here.

The flavors are a nice mix of raspberries with some tart cherry mingled in. While there is a bit of tartness here there's also some sweetness mixed in. As expected from the nose the malt and hops don't show very much.

The mouth feel is on the light side of medium bodied with a touch of crispness from the light, prickly carbonation. The finish begins about midway through as the tartness from the cherries pushes its way to center stage and then all the flavors gradually fade away with some degree of tartness holding on all the way to the end.

Given that I'm generally a fan of Yard's beers I was a bit surprised to realize that I hadn't tried this one before. I'll certainly be having it again as it can be a very refreshing change of pace and something that would go well on a warm summer's evening. I could easily see having this as one of the main offerings at a backyard BBQ.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

On-tap into a pint glass

A - Served a fairly dark pink color with a half-finger of white head, a little hazy but mostly clear, just a little lacing

S - Overwhelming smell of raspberries; nothing much else to report here; strong and unique, but not particularly complex

T - Strong raspberry flavor hits you up front, tastes like taking a spoonful of raspberry syrup; that mellows into a more bitter finish (fairly unexpected, as I figured the sweetness was going to come along with the other raspberry taste)

M - Solid mouthfeel, medium body, fairly smooth taste

D - Pretty good; although it's not my favorite beer I give it extra points for being so damn weird and original; it's definitely not one I would drink too much, but may as well try it if you have the chance

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a dark pink color with off white head that dissipates very quickly. Smells funky with tart raspberries. The taste is pretty good, I can pick up the raspberries and the cherries. The feel is a little thin, and the tartness, though it is subtle, is somehow still harsh. Overall this is still a good summer beer for kicking back and relaxing.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

A nice summery beer. It's made with over 3000lbs of cherries and berries which you can really taste. I put a 1/6bbl on at my bar and it kicked in less than 48 hours. Only complaint I had was there was no finish to it.

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into stange glass.

Look: they didn't lie; the ale has a curious pink appearance a shade brighter than ruby red. high amount of bubbles and a white white head.

Smell: the berries overwhelm suitably in the smell... not much else you can smell through the tart.

Taste: surprisingly to me, the tartness of the berries is a better balance than something really sweet. I was astonished how good it was. Still not my cup of tea, but it's really well done. Like an Abita Purple Haze, only more tart and on steroids. If I were to put this into the "shandy" category, I'd say it is one of the best... I'm not a huge fan of shandys, but this is more interesting and refreshing than some of the lemon-based ones.

Mouthfeel: smooth feel with a nice malt backbone... Lip-smacking tartness creates a lemonade feel to it, but it still feels like a beer.

All in all, another solid one from the boys at Yards... I'm not biased being from Philadelphia at all, though ;-)

Link to my YouTube review of this beer:

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bought a 6-pack from the brewery because I really wanted to try this beer before it was long gone. Poured into large tulip glass for review. Appears clear cranberry color with large pink head and decent suds clinging to the glass sides. Smells mostly of tart cherries with supportive raspberries. Tastes tart and slightly sour. Fruit sweetness gives nice sharp bite which fades but still lingers in the taste buds. Excellent palate cleanser. Seemingly light bodied. Refreshing. Wish it had a tad drier finish. I like this beer. Hats off to Yards for really switching it up and for donating some of the proceeds to breast cancer research. Am I allowed to write off this beer on my taxes next year?

3.81/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I enjoyed this from a cervoise from the 12oz bottle chilled, shared with Gabriel.

The color is red, clear with light pink head and fine bead with spots of lace clinging. The smell is faint berry and light malt aromatics with subtle sweet aroma with fruity yeast ester and light wheat type malt fragrance. The feel has a tangy presence with medium high carbonation and slight creamy body with gentle tangy berry texture and dry finish.

The taste starts off with tangy fruit with subtle berry flavor and cherry tanginess wih a mild wheat element in the middle and slight yeast and malt breadiness with a lasting tang of raspberry acidity as it finishes. Overall this is a decent fruit beer with taste that is not overwhelming yet tangy enough to make for a refreshing ale to savor

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

8-2-15 Jan's house

Pours, well, pink. Would be weird if it wasn't pink. It's just an ok head with low retention.

The smell is slight sour and tart. Cherry and raspberry smells as well.

The taste is kind of refreshing slight sour bitter cherry taste. Nothing too over the top hense the refreshing part.

The feel is pretty smooth. The bitter builds but not to the point of tongue exhastution.

Good beer. Nothing that I would have thought to buy but it was enjoyable.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Had a pint of this on tap at The Grey Lodge Pub in Philadelphia, PA.

A- Deep hazy pink. Not much head when I was served the beer. A lot of carbonation.

S- Very sweet fruity smell.

T- Tastes very fruity with flavors of raspberry and strawberry. A bit of a citrusy finish like a ruby red grapefruit juice.

M- Highly carbonated and lively. Light bodied.

D- Very interesting. I think it would be very refresing on a summer day. Would appeal to the wine cooler crowd.

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Candies pink/red with little to no head.

S - Suggary candied raspberry scent, but not overwhelming, could have handled a little more!

T - Mid Strength candied raspberry flavor, lemony undertones, finishes with slight bitter zing.

M - Medium bodied and not thick as the appearance, smell and flavor dictate.

D - Very good beer, not in the true lambic style in terms of overpowering fruit concentrate or carbination. Definitely drinkable in quanity without being overpowering but does lose complexity as it sits.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Pynk from Yards Brewing Co.