Pynk - Yards Brewing Co.

Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 10-26-2003

We brew each batch with over 3,000 pounds of fresh raspberries and both sour and sweet cherries. The addition of fruit prior to fermentation makes this crisp ale tart instead of sweet. It’s pink in color of course, light-bodied, and refreshing with delicate, delectable berry aromas. We’ll bet the farm that there’s no better autumn seasonal around.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 227 | Reviews: 43

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

Its clear, reddish-orange body is capped by a short but creamy head of delicate white foam that drops to a razor-thin lid but somehow manages to leaves some thin, lingering lace about the glass. The nose is lightly sweet and delicately tart with a slight Brettanomyces character (barnyard, horse blanket, wet hay, etc.) that's not strong enough to keep the uninitiated away, but strong enough to keep the aficianado's interest. The body is thin and it's gently crisp on the tongue with a fine carbonation. The flavor follows the suggestion of the nose with a mild sweet-tart character laced around delicate fruit (berries and cherry, but not particularily raspberry per se). It finishes short and dry, leaving the palate yearning for another taste as it's been tempted but not satiated. This is an exceptionally drinkable beer! Easily and without a doubt, the most balanced "infected" beer I've ever had. It may not be from Belgium, but it's certainly worth trying!

3.81/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I enjoyed this from a cervoise from the 12oz bottle chilled, shared with Gabriel.

The color is red, clear with light pink head and fine bead with spots of lace clinging. The smell is faint berry and light malt aromatics with subtle sweet aroma with fruity yeast ester and light wheat type malt fragrance. The feel has a tangy presence with medium high carbonation and slight creamy body with gentle tangy berry texture and dry finish.

The taste starts off with tangy fruit with subtle berry flavor and cherry tanginess wih a mild wheat element in the middle and slight yeast and malt breadiness with a lasting tang of raspberry acidity as it finishes. Overall this is a decent fruit beer with taste that is not overwhelming yet tangy enough to make for a refreshing ale to savor

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark pink with a creamy light pink head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of raspberry and cherries. Nice enough but very mild/subtle.

The taste is sweet and tart - not in a musty way - but in a sweettart candy way. The raspberries and cherries taste like the real fruit. It has a sour, but not puckering, finish.

The feel is creamy with ample carbonation. It is smooth and drinkable.

It's above-average for the style. The berry aspect is nicely done.

3.72/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: pours a reddish orange color with a short 1/2" head that falls apart quickly.

Smell: raspberries are all you can pick up from the nose.

Taste: raspberries, some slight tart funk, grainy malt, some lemon zest, and a mild bitterness are the main flavors.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp to start, less crisp and a bit dry at the finish. Long lasting light tartness and berry flavor stick to the tongue.

Overall: a slow sipping fruit forward beer that is mildly refreshing.

4.27/5  rDev +21%

This review is for the bottled version, dtd M, 02 Dec 2013. I am not going to touch my original review.

From the bottle: "When we first got into brewing, it was just to make beer for ourselves. Friends liked it, so we made more. As our circle of friends has grown, so has our line of handcrafted ales. We're proud of each and every one we brew. We hope you and your friends enjoy them as much as we do."; "Released from the archives, PYNK is crafted with the freshest raspberries and sour cherries around. ith a subtle berry aroma and touch of sweetness, this light-bodied, tart ale is all-too-drinkable."

I LOVE the recumbent, satiated piggy of the label! I am often referred to as "a drunken pig" or some such and so I identify with him.

I have to admit - little has changed. Once more, it looked like cotton candy for head and I was laughing. The color was much lighter, more like rose wine and the clarity was button-bright. SRM = N/A in this case. The raspberry nose made me want to weep for my grandmother's garden and the resulting pies and preserves from her annual yield. The mouthfeel was slightly thin, but the tartness spoke to truth in advertising. It was not puckeringly tart, but neither was it sweet. This little piggy was licking his lips. Finish was tart and dry and I would have some more of this.

Original on-tap review, dtd 25 Nov 2006 follows:

I just wanted to laugh as I looked at this beer in my glass. The head looked like fresh spun cotton candy and the beer's color was a hazy, dark-pynk, I mean, pink. The nose was rich and sweet with raspberries. It reminded me of my paternal grandmother's (R.I.P.) raspberry patch in her backyard garden when I was a lad. The mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a sweetish raspberry flavor, not unlike jam, on the tongue. The finish was more dry and tart, more like what I expected at the outset. I am giving this high marks for drinkability as this was only its second release in three years, so I recommend getting while you can.

Politically Incorrect Phrasing Alert: If you are easily offended or have an abbreviated sense of humor, please do not read any further.

It's not a guaranteed panty-peeler, but it will go a long way towards achieving the desired result.

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

3.74/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Never seen this beer before but its been brewed since 2003 I suppose this may be the first year its been bottled.
A - Crazy pink color like the raspberries and cherry's used to brew it but the best part is the head and lacing since it has some great carbonation
S - Smells like a naturally fruit beer with maybe fruit juice added. It actually smells rather sweet like fresh squeezed.
T - Very tart and at times acidic I have to agree with others on this it comes off grainy and sour. Unlike some fruit beers though the sour dryness of the beer is constant not overly sweet but at times I wanted a solid wheat base balancing these flavors,
M - Comes off quite watery kind of like a carbonated cherry soda but much less sweet.

Overall after polishing the entire sixer in one night I have to give the beer its dues. Quite a well crafted fruit based beer that delivers the tartness and berry flavors it advertises. Could use a bit more balance though in future batches (possibly more or sweeter malts?)

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pynk from Yards Brewing Co.