India Pale Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.00% ABV

Standing firmly on the east coast end of American IPAs, our India Pale Ale emphasizes balance. An insistent malt character from traditional floor-malted English barley harmonizes with a generous amount of Chinook and Amarillo hops. Fruity and aromatic, our IPA is perfectly balanced.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of India Pale Ale Alström Bros

4.9/5  rDev +30%

This is an outstanding beer in my opinion.
Pours a light orange almost burnt color with a nice half inch head that sits well.
smell was a great blend of hop and malt. hops were on the flowery, herbal side with hint of citrus.
taste was outstanding. The blend of malt and hop in the english style IPA was perfect. Teh blend allowed all the flavors to meld very well together and not be overly sweet or bitter at all. This one easily rivals my HopDevil for one of the best IPAs I have tried to date.

4.85/5  rDev +28.6%

I first tried this beer on draft at the Tap Room in Bethlehem, PA, and enjoyed it tremendously. I was ecstatic to find it in bottles at the liquor store near my place of employment. This review is my very first review on Beer Advocate, and was done on my second serving from the sixpack of the night.

Appearance - a beautiful amber orange, not a very substantial head

Smell - citrus is the dominant smell.

Taste - like a grapefruit dipped in hops

Mouthfeel - wonderfully acidic.

Drinkability - This is the kind of beer that you ponder, long after finish it, and wonder if it's OK for you to have another.

I've only discovered craft beers in the last 9 months or so, and my favorite is Duvel. I've tried many kinds, including doppelbocks, landbier, several IPAs, german and belgian wheat beers, and have asked employees for their recommendations. This beer is so terrific, I could not resist telling the forum about it. I think you'll agree - this IPA is fantastic!

12oz bottle

App: Chunky 2 finger head. Dark amber. Great joke about how it will "survive the journey from your fridge to you couch"

Smell: Dank fruity hops. Much like the smell of over-ripened fruit. Faint whiffs of alcohol make themselves known.

Taste: A firm but nondescript malt backbone. Next comes the fruity hops reminiscent of delicate summer fruits; over-ripened strawberries come to mind. Finishes with a mild bitterness to which a roasted malt flavor contributes, but it's dominated by the hops.

Full bodied and delicious. I'm so sad this is the last one in the case.

4.65/5  rDev +23.3%

WOW! This was my first cask-condition experience, thus its my first review...I had a six of this on bottle and their is no comparison, the cask is that awesome.

Copper brown body with heavy deep ruby tint. Aromas are much more prominent--they just overload your nose with floral fragerances and smells of citrus and hops. The head just looms on top for what seems like an eternity. I though the bottle was kinda watery tasting in terms of mouthfeel but it is much, much better on cask. Its 'frothy' and has such a delicate balance on your tongue that every sip made you say 'ahhh'. Much more flavor comes out of the cask. Pretty much the same flavors as bottle but they just hit ya 5 times harder. Though it cost me 4.50 a pint it was damn drinkable to the dispair of my wallet. After two it was still interesting me more because it is THAT much different from the bottle.

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

Yards IPA

Appearance- hazy orange with a sticky white head.
Smell- strong floral hops with a hint of cherry.
Taste- floral and citric. slight caramel malt flavor.
Mouthfeel- smooth with very little dryness. No alcohol detected.

Overall- an amazingly easy IPA to gulp down! 1 of the better IPA's I've ever had. Yards hasn't disappointed me yet!

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

pured a clear brilliant copper with a decent but rather thin cream colored head. sweet caramelly bready malty aroma followed by a fruity but grassy resiny hop aroma. they smell to me more like amer. var. of hops or yards just used a ton english var.
smooth malty mouthfeel with excellent carbonation, a very pronounced hop attack that is dry bitter but not overpowering the malt is juicy enough to releif the some of the bitterness. a very excellent example.

I had this at the independance brewpub in the philly airport, that have a few other yards on tap including a flying fish tap and they also have some of the best roast beef sandwhichs that I have ever had, they even will give clarks ale house in syracuse a run for there money.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

India Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.