India Pale Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-02-2001

Standing firmly on the east coast end of American IPAs, our India Pale Ale emphasizes balance. An insistent malt character from traditional floor-malted English barley harmonizes with a generous amount of Chinook and Amarillo hops. Fruity and aromatic, our IPA is perfectly balanced.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours with a moderate caramel colored head over gently carbonated clear amber liquid with glimpses of red/gold seen within. Rich and malty nose with notes of super toasty and somewhat chocolatey maltiness present along with some yeast fruitiness. Some background hoppiness shows up late. The taste is strong and chewy maltiness, biscuity sweet and fruity , then a nicely intergrated hop bitterness intertwines into the proceedings to blend perfectly. Finishes balanced and utterly drinkable. The 8 percent alcohol is barely noticeable...so imbibe with caution! (560 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +5%

Translucent, amber honey-golden hue. Smallish white head with fair retention that produced small webs of lace. Respectable nose, soft tropical fruit mixed with raw citrusy hops and kisses of malt, inviting. Superior palate… fruity yet bitter with citrusy hops… leafy, dry, and raw yet there are peachy undertones. The malt plays a supporting role. The alcohol is scarcely noticeable in the flavor but the high abv makes an appearance in your brain. Complex enough. Meager carbonation, medium-light body, thin yet the mouthfeel is decent. I really enjoyed this IPA… hopefully I’ll quaff it again. (599 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I love this beer! Bright copper with a voluminous tan head. Hop aroma smacks you around from afar, with malt sweetness noticeable from about six inches. All well constructed and inviting. The taste is very hoppy, with a distict sharp resinous note. Possibly single hopped? There's also some malt sweetness pushing through as well. This enjoyable power struggle between malt and hops is endless, yet the beer seems haromnious in its crafting. Huge malt base lends to a smooth mouthfeel. This is very drinkable. I was surprised to learn it was 8% ABV, but the strong maltiness should have been a clue. I did not notice the alcohol at all. Surprisingly drinkable, surprisingly hoppy, surprisingly good. I think I'm a hop-head. (723 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured a deep copper/orange color with medium head that left some decent lacing,smell was pretty balanced nutty malt with a herbal hp note.taste is pretty rough around the edges there is some zesty grapefruit-like hop hit ya first with a nice malty lingering taste.Pretty thick I think for the style,with a few tune ups this could become a really good brew. (357 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

A very 'rough and raw', high abv English IPA. This beer poured a lighter than normal amber/copper colour with a small, foamy, white head on top. The aromas were of medicinal hops, sugars, yeasts, and malts. The taste was very medicinal, hoppy, grassy, and interesting. This beer tasted like orval to me, which is a pretty cool thing. The mouthfeel was very full and lucious and the drinkability was pretty good overall.

Cheers!
-F (434 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%

A few things jump out at me with this beer....#1-The nose is fruity more so than citrusy...bubble gum like with notes of mango and kiwi...#2-The body is very thick and heavy for an IPA...this has some substance as the 8% alcohol would lead you to believe...#3-The 8% alcohol really seems hidden for the most part although there is some spiciness on the finish...

Overall, this is an English style IPA I'm glad I tried but would not seek out again...I don't care for the "bubblegum" nose...and it finishes on a bit of a sour note...to me there is no real hop bite to it that I expect in an IPA...but as I mentioned this is a substnatial brew...maybe it's just not my type....real tart taste and finish...like raspberries...just not my bag of tea...definitely worth one try at least though.. (792 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Recently had a few of these with a nice steak dinner. Bottle conditioned, and really very carbonated. The head was tall, thick, and stable. Mild hop aroma, mixed with grass, resin, and mild fruit smells. Appearance is a cloudy, copper-orange color. Pleasant malt up front that dissipated into a closing dryness….again, the beer has a resin-like quality. Nice bitter and dry finish. Highly carbonated through the glass, the beer has a prickly, spicy character at times. This one hides it’s alcohol very well; I could have had these all night. (543 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -2.3%

-Honey? Are you hungry yet?

-No, I think I'm just gonna read for a while.

("Cool," I think. "One more beer to review.")

This site leads one to try to review a beer according to how it sits in its labelled style. Yards IPA doesn't sit within the range of what I think of as IPA. But it does kick my tastebuds' collective patootie. That's good, right?

Excellent head and lacing. Good standard amber color with the touch of ruby at the top (maybe a little dark for an IPA, but... this is a monster IPA.)

Lack of aroma almost off-putting in an 8% abv ale. I actally ended up sticking my nose right into the head to try to detect any aroma. I guess it's there, but it is so unlike the cacophony of flavors, it's a little spooky. How come I cannot sense what is to come?

On the tongue, big earthy (even peaty) malt character slams into pungent hops with a fleeting sour note. Man-o-man, anyone who's tasted enough IPA's knows we're straying into not-too-many-of-these-before-driving-or-even-talking-to-a-stranger territory. and knows that this is no standard IPA. Somewhat on the heavy side, wisely keeping the drinker from overdoing it. Big beer fans should find it interesting. Red Hook IPA fans might actually dislike it. (1,236 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

WOW! This was my first cask-condition experience, thus its my first review...I had a six of this on bottle and their is no comparison, the cask is that awesome.

Copper brown body with heavy deep ruby tint. Aromas are much more prominent--they just overload your nose with floral fragerances and smells of citrus and hops. The head just looms on top for what seems like an eternity. I though the bottle was kinda watery tasting in terms of mouthfeel but it is much, much better on cask. Its 'frothy' and has such a delicate balance on your tongue that every sip made you say 'ahhh'. Much more flavor comes out of the cask. Pretty much the same flavors as bottle but they just hit ya 5 times harder. Though it cost me 4.50 a pint it was damn drinkable to the dispair of my wallet. After two it was still interesting me more because it is THAT much different from the bottle. (873 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

I like this IPA but not as well as others. The fact that it is so high in alcohol is intriging. The taste is great, but I can't seem to get used to the Yards yeast strain. The beer itself is extremely smooth and very drinkable. In fact, I would never guess the ABV. The hops seem to mellow out and give off a smoky character towards the middle of the beer. There are noticeable fruity hints that come to attention. The beer has a classic IPA dry finish that makes you realize the quality of this brew. (501 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Hops are most evident in the aroma when you pop open the bottle, but not as strong as I would have liked. This same subdued hop character is also present in the flavor. Malts are a little more dominant than I would like as well. Has a nice crisp dryness to the finish. (268 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -11%

The bitterness and aroma of this beer was a bit overwhelming. The aroma was very spicy and pungent. The body seemed light and very dry, although flavorful. It was hard to get a look at this beer from the dark bar I was in, but it looked like a reddish light brown color with a small head that dissolved quickly into nothingness.

I slowly sipped... and sipped... and sipped this one down.
The alcohol hits you later, near the end of the beer.
A very interesting and a bold IPA. (483 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Hazy red amber color, smallish off white head, slightly creamy look to the head, good lace. Nose - Similar to the Yard's ESA, bursting with lively and floral hops. Smells of herbs, spice and hard candy.

Taste is unlike your typical American IPA. It really is quite different. Fruity, spicy, yeasty with an herbal hop bite, but the hops are restrained by a good heavy dose of creamy malt. It's nice to taste an American made IPA that decided to be a bit different and NOT just try to overwhelm with Cascades. Bottle conditioned at 8% abv, it has a nice thick and full mouthfeel. IBU's somewhere in the 80s but you really would think it was less. Extremely balanced for an IPA. Everything works together just right.

My understanding behind Yard's IPA was to create what they feel is a "historically" more accurate interpretation. A taste profile that attempts to come close to the original English style of more then a 100 years ago. Did they hit it?, how the hell am I supposed to know, but it was quite good. (1,016 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -23.2%

Very interesting to say the least, when I cracked the bottle the aroma is what captivated me. I just never smelled anything like this before, it's different. Pours a very nice copper amber tone with an off white nice full head, and it leaves nice even rings of lace down the glass. The aroma is a sharp astringent nut sweetness with a discombobulated hop aroma that has me scratching my head, and there is also a meanstreak of metallic offness. Very unique IPA, not what I was expecting but it's not horrible or amazing, it lies somewhere in the middle of the road. The taste is full of bitterness, but it has a light almond astringency to it. The sweetness comes in a very quick sprint that rapidly turns to a dryness of bitterness on the tongue. I am not loving this bottle, but it is alright. Can't drink this stuff, just to unbalanced between hops, metal?, nut flavors, and malt. (883 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

I thought this was both an interesting and odd interpretation of an IPA. Ruby colored with a very odd hop aroma. Not quite an entirely powerful hop scent, it seemed very metallic as well. Like hops gone wrong. Mild alcohol and sweet fruits in the aroma.

I can only describe the mouthfeel is "spritzy," like drinking soda. Dominated by hop flavor and a strange astringent metallic taste. This isn't a bad IPA, but it's nothing to rave about either. I've had much better American IPA's. I did appreciate the 8% ABV though, it had a nice warming effect. (554 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one sits amber with a small off-white head on top. The aroma has the hops you would expect, but not as much as I would like. There was also a sweet characteristic that lingered around in the nose.

The flavor of this one is a little bit bitter. It has some spicy hops, and an unusual level of sweetness for an IPA. It was pretty crisp on the tongue which made it a pleasure to drink. I would have to say the flavor ratings were dropped because of the low hop level. It had an interesting flavor, but I want more hops. (525 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -10.7%

Acquired via trade. Blurry amber color with a thin off-white head. Very thin lacing. Mostly hops aroma with some malt. Flavor consists of hops, citrus and some malt. Actually there was more malt in the flavor than in any IPA in recent memory. It didn't hurt the flavor at all though, and actually made the finish more subdued than in most IPAs. The jury is out as to whether that makes it more complex or more boring. Maybe both. Either way this was decent. (457 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

No head at all, with a medium-copper color. The aroma is a bit weak, mostly caramel malt and a decent fruity hop boquet. Flavor is big on grainy malt, more caramel sweetness, and a strong bitter finish. Medium-light body. Drinkable, but not especially memorable -- no real outstanding flavor characteristics, and not as smooth as some of the other IPAs. (353 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +9.4%

A very weak head. It's rather unfortunate about that, as it is a rather good beer that follows it up. Fairly clear and red. Wonderful spicy and hoppy aroma. The hops in the flavour are very well balanced by malt sweetness, with a good touch of spice as well. I was shocked to see the 8% abv when I looked at the bottle - this covers better than the equivalent strength belgians (& Unibroue) that I usually rave about in that aspect. Absolutely Fabulous (the beer is, I never cared much for the TV show...) (505 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall a pretty tasty beer, but nothing spectacular. A little light on the hops for my tastes, seeing as this is an IPA. It leaves no lace and forms an insignifigant head. The flavor is thin, but complex with a nice bitter aftertaste. Hard to believe that this is 8.0 ABV. It's a beer that has a lot of potential but just doesn't seem to try very hard. If it were more full bodied, and had a more noticeable hop presence, it could be great. (441 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

This beer poured into the glass a apricot/burnt orange color. The head is a white/vanilla colored that seemed to start foamy and end as a skim. The lace surprised me and lasted quiet long. The aroma was fruit hops, and some yeast and bread malt. The taste started off slightly sweet then the yeast flavor came into the front. Then fruit dominated the rest with hops then ended a little dry and earthy. Some alcohol was present but very little. Not the best for this style, but I would give it another try at another time. (521 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a hazy dark orange with a fluffy off white head that shrinks to a thin layer and leaves a lot of lace. Aroma was fruity hops with a nice bit of yeast and bread like malt smells too. Much more sweetness up front than expected, pears, plum and peach fruitiness with less truly bitter hop flavor than expected. Earthy hop bitterness on a drying finish that doesn't really last long. Good IPA, nicely drinkable without being over the top on hop bitterness as the trend seems to be for American IPAs. This tasted more like an English offering. I would drink more of this but only recomend it if someone was seeking a sweeter, less hopped IPA. (643 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer started out as a nice, strong, flavorful IPA. Big on the dried apricot aroma. Thick mouthfeel to back up high english-style IBUs. Alcohol is there. But the beer's sryupy sweetness became too much towards the end. Still tasty though. (247 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rather coarse head, but nice, white, and fluffy. OK, the first one I had was definately bad. Fruit, hops, mango, still the same from the first time. The main difference was the taste. THis was so much better the second time around. It was bitter and hoppy, like an IPA should be, but not in the disgusting way it was the first time. I'm glad I gave this beer a second chance. I wouldn't call this trinkable in a tradiational sense, however it was appetizing in a hearty way. It had a lot of bitterness, along with toasted grains and a little malt. The dominating flavor, though, is certainly the hops. The only flaw was that I feel it was not as balanced, in maltiness, as an IPA should be. (690 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Nice orange-copper color, but the fluffy white head dissipated almost immediately. The aroma is yeasty, earthy, mineral, fruity, light hop, some malt. The flavor is big fruit with a good mouthfeel, some maltiness, and an intense hoppy bitterness in the finish. Long lasting fruity/malt/bitterness but without being cloying. The alcohol is a bit too evident throughout but a good beer nevertheless. (397 characters)

India Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.