Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce AlePoor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale

good

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.00% ABV

Based on Franklin’s original recipe, which called for barley, molasses, and essence of spruce, our Tavern Spruce is as approachable and engaging as was the man himself. We source blue spruce clippings from a local organic farmer, steeping them in the kettle to create this one-of-a-kind deep amber ale.

(Beer added by: GeoffFromSJ on 11-12-2005)
3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a brownish red with a small foam that doesn't really retain much. No lacing.

Aroma is pine, spices like cinnamon.

Taste is spiced...cinnamon and spruce come through, with a malt backing that goes well with it

Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated, and its highly drinkable. I'd say drinkability is the best feature of this beer.

kshankar, May 06, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

Thanks for a great person sending this to me. I poured this bottle into a small sifter it produced a small white bubbly head that left fast the body was a light brown in color.

The aromas were sweet and malty balanced by some unmistakable spruce note. The flavor was nice as well it was defiantly one of the best spiced beer I have ever had truly enjoyable it had that bitter spruce flavor but a big old molasses base to balance this one out. It felt great in the mouth with good carbonation.

A great beer I could have had another one right after my first which is suprising for a spiced brew. well worth trying and seeking out

joepais, Apr 11, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -2%

Bottle pictured looks blue - mine was brown. Pours clear chestnut brown with a decent head, some layers of lacing made by a beige head that retains a respectable covering over the beer. (Tall pilsner glass.)

Molasses and maple syrup overshadow the subtle fruitiness of the spruce in the aroma, but it's balanced nevertheless.

Fruity with some sappy pine character and citrus. Some raisin, plum. Resiny mouthfeel, which makes up most of the body, otherwise thin. Miderately spicy finish.

Startling at first, but evolves to be sessionable after a few quaffs. A medicinal quality, likely from the spruce, is the only detractor, but it's not overpowering.

Haven't had many spruce ales, besides my own homebrew, but this one beats the hell out of that.

boston2bburg, Apr 02, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a slightly hazy amber color with a tan head that doesn't offer much in the way of retension. It isn't long before the beer is left with only a thin ring of lace along the top of the beer. Nose includes a bit of caramel maltiness along with a bit of a citrus zip that isn't quite hops but is close to it. Taste upfront is an overwelming amount of the "spruce" addition. It is quite spicey and it lingers right on through until the aftertaste. Body of the beer has some maltiness but the spruce really distracts from the other flavors that might be in this beer. It has a medium to light feel and light amount of carbonation. For me, this would be a good festive holiday beer. For some reason the spruce is reminding me of the Christmas holiday season. However, it is not something I would want to drink on a regular basis.

stakem, Mar 14, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

This is an interesting beer. If you can even call it a beer. The label mentions it as a "malted beverage". It's a "beer" that probably has a broad appeal to the masses in the fact that it's very drinkable.

The color was dark red / mahagony. It is a very light body with extremely high carbonation. It poured with virtually no head.

With an average mouth feel. It had a sweet, mild maltiness with hints of juice as it went down. Was trying to get to the spuce and sprigs, but I couldn't distinguish it.

It is appealing - but not my type of beer.

klkatz, Feb 27, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Look: Reddish brown color, small head, light lacing

Smell: Pine, ginger, brown sugar

Taste: Up Front: Malty, pine, slight spiciness. Finish: Dry, sweet and minty

Mouthfeel: Light and tingly (in a non-gay way)

Drinkability: At 5% it could be a session beer if you like spicy, otherwise it could be a one and done.

Overall Impression: This brew reminds me of Christmas ale, so it is a good winter beer. I feel like I just quaffed a brew with our founding fathers. I feel the need to fly a kite in a electrical storm now!

BeerGodz, Feb 25, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Served in a Killian's imperial pint glass.

Pours a cluttered light ruby brown with a small white bubbly head that doesn't really lace much at all. The smell has a lightly syrupy smell, with some subtle piny and floral notes as well. The spruce comes through pretty well in the taste, with some light hoppy bitterness, pine needles, and some subtle molasses as well. The body is nicely moderate, but there's a sharp tinge of carbonation at the end that serves to keep things a little awkward. That aside, this is a nice, solid, drinkable brew.

TMoney2591, Feb 22, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

I found this bottle in the Ales of the Revolution variety case that I purchased at Bryn Mawr Beverage in Bryn Mawr, PA. I poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a cloudy dark brown color. The head is thick, dark eggshell in color, three fingers tall, tiny bubbles, moderate retention and great leggy lacing.
Smell: The aromas are piney, resin, and hints of grapefruit.
Taste: The flavors are toffee, spicy and pine.
Mouthfeel: The body is thick with a crisp mouthfeel.
Drinkability: This is a very good beer.
Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Feb 21, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

a: pint glass, the clear, nutshell brown ale supports a white head that fast recedes to a low layer

s: heavy spruce - which might be described as a cross between pine sap and sassafras root - rides a nutty brown malt body sweetened with dark molasses sugars, bearing considerable resemblance to a certain midwestern spiced crispmus ale, spiced dark breads, pretty nice with the tree addition in good balance

m: carbonation smooth on a body that rides the light-medium line

t: a nutty malt base holds a big spruce presence and raw dark sugars compliments of the molasses addition, the spruce is pretty interesting but creates a root beer flavor on the tongue that may turn some off, molasses, wood, and barley linger with a moderate bitterness, the flavors build in the aftertaste with each sip and wear after a bit

d: reasonable, worth a shot but content with only having a single, I do appreciate the attempt to honor a historical recipe

single from Whole Foods Fair Lakes

blackie, Feb 18, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - A rust/dark amber color with little head of carbonation.

s - Smells strongly of spruce and pine, as well as cinnamon, some spices, and maybe a little bit of malt.

t - Small amounts of spruce and pine, but not as much as I was expecting. Tastes of pepper and spices.

m - Very carbonated and light bodied.

d - This beer was decent, but not my favorite. I didn't think the spices and spruce were very flavorful, and thought the smell and taste were a little lacking. I wouldn't buy this one again.

mdfb79, Feb 18, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Poured a dark copper and had a thin head that didn't last long.
S - Spicy, cinnamon, fig. Probably been said already, but it does smell like a Christmas tree. As it warmed I did pick up some black pepper.
T - Big spruce flavor dominates. Also had flavors of spice and a cinnamon-ish bite in the finish. I couldn't detect any hops. Had supporting malts, and there were some interesting, slight sour notes at times.
M - Light bodied and big carbonation. It was surprisingly easy to drink given the unique flavor.
O - I enjoy it. I remember it being stronger tasting a few years ago. It seems they scaled back the spice and spruce more recently.

longdivision, Feb 06, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +28.9%

Pours an amber body with a dirty sand color head that holds well. Smell has hints of molasses and the dried spruce twigs, a bit of a musty forest smell to it with a pleasing aroma of fresh evergreens over the mustiness. The flavor was a bit complex with earthy tastes of wood fiber, some maltiness, and the citrus like flavor of the spruce. Went down quite easily, not at all like chewing on a Christmas tree. A true interpretation of a Ben Franklin beer recipe. Very enjoyable.

Katahdin, Feb 02, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

A - not much head at all. Fairly clear though. Dark golden brown

S - gruit-spice aroma. sweet, but not like malty wort. no hops. Mild rootbeer-like aroma that may be the spruce

T - tastes like bittered watered-down rootbeer. A real thirst-quenching beer that is obvious in its low gravity. Very watery, but do all our beers have to be huge and malty? Odd choice for beer style -- you think a beer like this would be from its description, something you'd drink by a warm fire, but instead is a beer that would be great for the summer based on its quenchability. I would like to try the beer made from the first runnings of this beer's mash -- if it were to exist.

M - very light body and spritzy carbonation which I think helps give it a little more character.

saccro, Jan 17, 2010

Not bad overall, but not great. It looses the flavor quickly, in my opinion. I mean, I love Yards overall, but this one isn't great. I prefer if I'm drinking a herb beer to have a crazy over the top herb flavor.

The spruce ale is a typical ale but made from an original recipe of ben franklins. he needed to try a bit harder.

NJCraftBeer, Dec 25, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Poured a rustic-amber with a 1 finger frothy, sandstone colored head that displayed a fair amount of retention (2-3min) before lapsing to a patchy covering. Visible carbonation was composed of lazily rising micro-bubbles.

S: The nose was dried molasses and dried caramel being the most prominent mixing well with a sense of dry twigs. The spruce tips are also noticeable giving this a fresh winter scent of evergreen. Overall a light sense making your work to appreciate its scent.

T: The flavor was light with a thin caramelized grain sweetness opening things up. Sweet caramel, hints of warm brown sugar and fresh spruce stand out nicely giving this a fresh burst of greenery. There are fresh citrusy tones lurking in the background adding a wet lemony ice tea twang of the finishing swallow.

M: The mouthful was oily slick with a medium body. A nice touch of carbonation is detected on the swallow. Things finish up with a bright lemony twang combined with a sweet grain lacing on the tongue.

D: A good ole time tavern ale with solid drinkability good for several at a time. A nice change of pace beer, fairly unique flavorwise with a good sense of enjoyment. 6 pack recommend.

beerthulhu, Dec 24, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

I have not had this beer since it came in the pretty blue bottles. I was young in my exploration of different beers and this one always left a bad taste in my mouth seriously. I swore I would not have it again, but in the name of reconciliation, I bought a bottle with a different label, probably from the change in the brewery's location.

Chestnut brown from fallen acorns in the fall. The beer pours out pretty muddy brown and becomes chustnuty when condensed. A nice medium cream colored head stays afloat for a few before taking a powder. Not much in terms of lace, just some stringy lines here and there. Decent looking beer.

The smell consists of a big pile of spruce tips gathered up on a tarp by your landscaping company. It's really large but not as much as I remember. Under that a big amount of caramel sweet malt with some molasses hiding in the corner with a dunce cap on. Spicy and nothing in terms of hops although they must be used, right?

Taste is subdued in terms of the amount of spruce they laced this batch with. I remember the spruce dominating this beer ten fold and tree sap with spruce would stay with you for hours after consuming. Now, this is not so much a problem. Caramel, molasses, grain and some malt take the spruces edge away and I like it.

The feel is medium bodied with a solid build, tavern spruce does not slouch in terms of flavor so that's not a problem as well. A decent amount of carb felt on the tounge which I think fits perfectly for this type of beer. The aftertaste is of spruce but not as much as in the past, making this much more bearable for me.

I would not go around and pick up a six of this as spruce does not do it for me, but im glad I picked this bottle up. Maybe it's the change in location of the brewery or maybe it's the recession that's keeping boatloads of spruce from making it's way into the tanks, but I seem to like where this is going. Hopefully Yards makes more steps in this direction in the future.

BARFLYB, Dec 20, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

I bought this brew quite by surprise as part of the Ales of the Revolution variety pack. Poured from 12 ounce bottle into a fest beer glass. Carmel color and a trace head only on the outside rim of the glass lightly carbonated. Smell is absolutely wonderful a smell of sweet pine and sugary molasses. Outstanding spruce crisp flavor with sweetness like a sugary cookie. No notable hop profile, very moderate mouthfeel. This is a very drinkable brew I could very easily reach for another one.

mtnbikerpa, Dec 11, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +33.1%

I truely enjoyed this beer, it really caught me by surprise. Poured a dark hazy amber with a creamy white head and laced really well. You could smell the molasses and spruce it was an amazing aroma. And the taste did not disappoint. Sweet from the molasses and that spruce tasted better then I thought it would. Finished with a citrusy after-taste. Euell Gibbons would be proud of this one. Makes me want to Drive to Philly and try it on tap at City Tavern. My hat is off to Yards.

bob3701, Dec 06, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

A - One fingers worth of even light tan head with limited retention which gives way to a slight ring of bubbles around the edges of the glass... A medium brown chestnut color... Limited carbonation...

S - The spruce is quite evident in the nose, but not over powering or off putting... Ginger snaps... Toffee... Caramel... A faint nuttiness...

T - Molasses... Ginger... Earthy... Hints of toffee and caramel... Ever so slightly medicinal... I was afraid the spruce would dominate the taste, but its subtle and mixes well with all the other flavor components...

M - Medium bodied... Lightly carbonated... Very smooth... Slightly lush... Just a tad sticky...

D - A unique and quite quaffable offering from Yards... A was a little leery upon opening that the spruce would be off putting, but this was anything but... Solid and a beer I would welcome in my glass at any time in the future...

philbe311, Dec 03, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

Yard's- Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce

A- Light amber brown with a smal light lacing head. Clear and little carbonation.
S- Sweet molasses, brown sugar, and fresh live spruce twigs.
T- Sweet brown sugar and molasses malt with a nice spicy pepper and spruce/ pine bite.
M- Sweet, yet mild. Thick malt with spicy dry spruce body and finish.

Overall- Actually much better than you'd think. The spruce is tasty yet not overpowering.

NJpadreFan, Nov 01, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Moderately chilled and poured into a Duvel glass. A glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: The beer pours out a clear dark mahogany color with a 1 ½" creamy off-white tan head that recedes slowly, leaving foam and lacing on the side of the glass. Initially, sipping leaves patches of foam and delicate lacing on the side of the glass. Later as the head recedes to a small ring and some surface patches sipping still leads to a thin sheet of foam that turns into dense patterns of lacing.

Smell: The aroma clearly contains a soft smell of spruce resin and needles modulated and softened by the sweetness of the molasses. The spruce definitely gives it a mild medicinal character.

Taste: As expected from the aroma, the flavors are dominated by spruce and molasses. Throughout the resinous flavor of the spruce is forward and in charge while the molasses provides a back bone and support, keeping the harshness of the spruce tame and preventing it from becoming unpleasant.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with moderate persistent carbonation and a light silkiness. The finish is moderately long begins with the sweet molasses forward keeping the spruce in the background. It then becomes dryer as the molasses taste fades more quickly than the spruce, leaving a dry almost medicinal finish from the spruce.

Drinkability: I haven't smelled and tasted anything quite like this since I was a kid collecting pinion pine cones and then roasting them to get at the pine nuts and trying to get the pine sap/resin off my hands. I could see having this one again once getting accustomed to these flavors in a beer. It seems a perfect accompaniment to the December holiday season while trimming a Christmas tree. Even now I'd not be unhappy with a few more bottles of this beer for an evening, but this is definitely a beer for slow sipping.

drtth, Sep 09, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Coppery brown in tone with decent head that thins out quickly.

S - Spruce and hints of molasses and brown sugar

T - Spruce and Molasses... not much else going on. The two ingrediants work well together.

M - the ingredients dictacte an abuse to the palate, but the finnish is medium bodied and does not linger

D - With the balanced Spruce and Molasses combo you'll either love it or feel indifferent, not appaled. Would recommend a clean palate for tasting.

rfgetz, Jul 08, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -17.4%

The appearance was hazy,light medium brown with an orange tint that was almost golden. A small head and thin lace.

The aroma of sugar,and spruce.

The taste of spruce is dominant with a sweet, molasses flavor.

The feel was low carbonation and a medium body.

Notes: This was not a bad beer,but I must add that it was not my preferred style. It was cloyingly sweet and while the overall makeup was average I found it hard to finish the whole beer. I mean it was not like when you can't finish a beer because it's awful;it was just too sweet and sprucy for me.

Lexluthor33, Jun 04, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Didn't even notice the cool blue bottle color until after the beer was poured!

HUUUUGE 'ed on this puppy ... filled the glass w/only a few oz. of beer. Body was a deep opaque mahogany, head was a tan color and it left a thick lacing.

Most noticeable smell to me was the sweet, malty molasses and a strange hint of metal. Spruce didn't come thru until it warmed.

Taste was shocking - relative to the look and smell... I was expecting something like a dubbel, and I got a puckering lemon and wit-like flavor. I guess w/ spruce tips, I was also expecting more hoppy-forest qualities, but this one was much more like a sweet-and-sour hard candy.

Found the mouthfeel to be tart, but pretty nice - none of the graininess reported in other reviews.

Drinkability was ok - little sour for my liking, and therefore I would be hard pressed to have more than 2 in one evening.

Appreciate the creativity from Yards, though (even if it IS modeled after a centuries-old recipe!)

BeerImmediately, May 01, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Served from a 12 oz. cobalt blue bottle. (I dig the bottle)

Nice surprise to get a beer I have not tried yet in a variety case of Yards. I did not notice until I arrived home :)
Pours a nice rich, slightly cloudy, brown color; w/ a nice head with a rough pour but it does dissipates fairly quickly.
On the nose, hints of spruce, molasses, and spices.
Nice taste (let warm); molasses, spruce, sweet caramel malt, hints of pine/hops.
The mouth feel oily before swallowing, afterwards however it is rough, sand paper-ish. I am not sure what contributes to this gritty after/mouth feel, but it stays around long after. I like the fact the beer taste lingers but the mouth feel is just annoying. (Will need another variety case to test again, however some other reviews seem to confirm the gritty after after/mouth feel)
We shall see how the Yards beers change (if at all) w/ the Yards/PBC split. I'm excited either way!

WilliamPhilaPa, Mar 08, 2008
Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale from Yards Brewing Co.