Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce AlePoor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale

good

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.00% ABV

Based on Franklin’s original recipe, which called for barley, molasses, and essence of spruce, our Tavern Spruce is as approachable and engaging as was the man himself. We source blue spruce clippings from a local organic farmer, steeping them in the kettle to create this one-of-a-kind deep amber ale.

(Beer added by: GeoffFromSJ on 11-12-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks to BeerBeing for this bottle.

Pours a ruby brown color with a thin head that quickly fades to a ring. Lacing never really appears.

Spruce shows up in the aroma. There is some licorice, molasses, and herbs. The smell reminds me somewhat of homemade root beer. This sorta smells like the 1790 Root Beer Brew from Sam Adams. It is an intriguing smell.

Flavor follows suit. Spruce and root beer. Some sweet molasses is mixed in there, too. This one is better than the SA Root Beer Brew. I know it's a different beer with different ingredients, but they have similar qualities, IMO.

Mouthfeel is thin with little carbonation...just how I imagine it would be in colonial times. I will have no trouble in finishing this off (unlike the Brewer Patriot Collection). Different beer...if you have the chance to try it, go for it.

01-29-2007 17:17:08 | More by Imstillthegman
ithacabaron

4.18/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a ruddy, rich hue, confident and full. Deep and weighty in the glass.

Aroma is slightly flat, with wintergreen, horehide, water and limestone. Not offensive, but not spectacular.

Taste develops into an original and fantastic experience -- a brew apart from many others. The first thing that strikes you is molasses, and not tarry, black, overwhelming molasses, but crisp, bready, gingerbread man (with frosting!) notes. Lovely. The wintergreen note found in the aroma develops as more of a resinous, sap-like undertone to the molasses, with sweet allspice and nutmeg carrying along, barely detectable. A wonderful confection, but never cloying.

Mouthfeel is a little high, and a little sharp, but it's a Yards' bottled product -- this is pretty par for the course. This is the major flaw here. On cask, I bet this would be a pantheon-level beer.

Drinkability, even with the high carbonation, is delightfully high! This is an easy drinker, and I could see myself easily making a session of this. Unlike other brews I've had with non-standard ingredients, this is no novelty. This isn't a good spruce beer -- this is a good beer that has spruce in it. Get it?

I would buy a case (or if I had enough people to drink it, a firkin!) anytime. Three cheers for colonial-style ale!

01-26-2007 02:04:15 | More by ithacabaron
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.9/5  rDev -18.8%

served into a nonic glass from a cool looking colbat blue bottle long neck with crimped cap

Hazy,reddish brown,creamy off white head with good retention and spotty lacing.

Aroma was very sprucey,notes of licorice and molasses,some pine,no hop or malt aromas.A good spicey aroma nice and pleasing.

Very sprucy tastes,tart,licorice no real hop or malt tastes,mostly spruce.Finishes on the dry side,some slightly sharp bitterness with a lingering spruce taste. Reminds me a bit of Anchor Christmas.

Medium mouthfeel,creamy a very light feel to it.
The spruce was a bit much as far as drinkability goes,lacks complexity,won't want to drink another. Not terrible, just nothing to excite.

01-25-2007 05:21:29 | More by jcdiflorio
Duder13

2.1/5  rDev -41.2%

12 oz. bottle, no brew date, concerned about when this was actually made

A - weak in color for a dark ale, no head, very little carbination

S - smokey, the spruce is overbearing

T - harsh and unbalanced

M - thin, watery, flat

would not try again, not a good choice.

01-01-2007 00:29:10 | More by Duder13
unclecrappy

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Gingerbread? Yep.

I picked up a single bottle at 3 Sons in Pittsburgh. I've sampled a spruce/pine beer before, and was expecting the same kind of piney, sharp bitterness. I got something completely unique instead.

Pours a very dark red. Small head, some lacing.

A whiff from my glass was the first clue that this was different: a little sweet, bready, with just a hint of the spruce I was looking for.

The first taste was ... gingerbread. Sweeter than I expected, but it doesn't dominate. The spruce essence does a nice job of providing balance. And as I read on the completely cool blue bottle, the gingerbread comes from molasses used when it's brewed. It's weird ... but it works.

Mouthfeel was nice, almost creamy. Drinkability? More than a couple at a time could become a little cloying, but as an occasional curve ball, this works very well.

12-21-2006 03:13:00 | More by unclecrappy
Beerquester

4.28/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer served on tap after the brewery tour, which by the way was a very good tour and well worth the visit.

These guys really did a good job in pulling this one off!

An unmistakable spruce pervades the aroma which smoothly transitions into a molasses-tasting full-bodied beer. This transition was necessary I believe to offset any lingering spruce which may otherwise have given a mediciney taste to the beer. A pleasantly smooth finish.

I could easily enjoy a few pints of this beer, made with organic spruce trips from a local farm, though of course, I would rank it more in the novelty or historical beer category.

A fine accomplishment on this style of beer. After trying this beer I am convinced of trying to brew one myself.

11-27-2006 02:31:27 | More by Beerquester
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a mirky ruby brown with a thin head that soon becomes a thin wispy patch. It leaves some tracings of lacing.

The smell is of woody spruce and molasses.

Woody spruce is offset by a molasses backbone. The spruce dominates, but just enough molasses holds it in check so that it does not become overwhelming. It has a medium body. It has an herbal, sappy, almost medicinal finish.

The body holds up well. There is a slight rawness to it while keeping a relative smoothness.

It's an interesting brew, and pretty good for what it is. But, one is enough before it becomes too much. A good one to try for a historical replication. It is what it should be. But, still in all, you really have to be in the mood for spruce and molasses (which normally I'm not). It's easier to drink than other historical beers I've had. Worth trying for the experience.

11-05-2006 00:39:12 | More by jwc215
edskirk3

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Back in July I was taking the Yards Brewery tour and our guide said of Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale, "we can't make it fast enough." It must be pretty popular, I thought. I was hoping to buy a case while I was there, but they didn't have any. I really wanted to try it. And last weekend I happened upon a case at my local beer distributor, much to my glee.

This is the beer that Yards was officially commissioned to brew by the City of Philadelphia in honor of Ben Franklin's 300th birthday (this past January 17). It's based, apparently, on Franklin's actual recipe which featured molasses and spruce. The spruce thing intrigued me, as I've never had tasted anything before with any kind of evergreen in it.

The bottles are blue glass, 12 oz each, filled June 15. Pouring into an English faceted pub mug, I see a dark brown (nearly ruby black in low light) beer with a creamy head of sandy beige.Taking a deep whiff, I can confirm the presence of spruce essence. Not as strong as a car air freshener, but it's there. There's also some bready notes.You get a big dose of bread upon the first taste. It's altogether a smooth, creamy ale with a heavy emphasis on malt and molasses. There's a tiny bit of bitterness from the spruce, which is used here instead of hops.

Based on what I've read, this does feel like an authentic Colonial-era ale. It's dark, malty, a little bit sweet, and I can see myself having a glass of it along with some artisan bread for breakfast.

10-09-2006 20:42:34 | More by edskirk3
techdiver

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a deep clear mahogany out of a blue bottle. Faint herbal smell along with hint of evergreen. Unusual taste that is hard to compare to anything else I've tasted. Edgy finish rolls over to a smooth and balanced end. A novel brew, but don't think I'd consider it a session brew.

10-04-2006 03:50:47 | More by techdiver
kenito799

4.28/5  rDev +19.9%

Served from cask from the beer engine at Dawson's, an outstanding small beer bar in the far reaches of Roxborough/Wissahickon, Philadelphia-on-Schuylkill, PA.

I had tasted this at the Yard's brewery the day before from a keg, and found a pleasing spruce aroma upfront, but it backed off in the mouth, leaving a really nice balanced ale.

A full pint from the beer engine produced a dark dark amber brew with a huge creamy head. Mouthfeel amazingly creamy, casks really augment the Yards brews (and maybe all beers). The spruce aroma was barely detectable at first but came across on tasting as a well-integrated and very enjoyable component to a very balanced and drinkable ale, surprisingly so. Rather than overwhelming, the spruce finish felt like I was standing in a forest or at least in my grandmother's living room with the heat from huge 1950s electric lights releasing vapors from the Christmas tree into the air (threatening to burst into flames). Highly enjoyable and worth several pints.

Serving type: cask

09-26-2006 02:27:37 | More by kenito799
DarkerTheBetter

4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

This beer pours a dark but clear cola color that takes on a cherry glow when held to the light. The head consists of an irregular film and a narrow collar.

Smells of oatmeal and sweet cornbread with a huge, sweet and smooth smelling pine (spruce?) with a bit of lime.

Tastes predominantly of a blend of the sweet spruce and lime rind bitterness with a slight, watered down molasses behind it.

The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with an easy mini-carbonation.

This is a really tasty beer, but it’s so sweet and flavorful, I’m not sure I could drink too many of these. I’d say two’s my limit.

09-25-2006 16:30:29 | More by DarkerTheBetter
guinness33

4.47/5  rDev +25.2%

I wasn't expected much as I was a bit underwhelmed by the original Yards Ales of the Revolution when I sampled them a few years back, but I really dug this brew.

It pours a nice murky ruby colour with a medium sized head that leaves its fair share of residue on the glass.

The aroma is sweet, with hints of molasses and spruce for sure. There's a definite forest-like aspect to the aroma of this one. It's simple but very nice and effective overall.

The taste is more of the same, but better. It's woody and sweet and brings out both the molasses and spruce even moreso that the aroma and balances them quite nicely overall. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit oily and chewy at times.

Again, this is a very nice beer. Not only is it the best of the series from Yards, it probably the best of the "Historical" brews that have been popping up here and there from various breweries in recent years. Definitely worth picking up a bottle or more if you see it.

09-24-2006 01:57:37 | More by guinness33
GCBrewingCo

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

The beer poured into the glass very slightly hazy medium amber with a tannish low head which lasted well enough to lace the glass.

The aroma was malty with a spicy cinnamon character when it first hits the nasal passages. After a few seconds of inhaling the aroma become more of a spruce with a strong menthol presentation. Coupled with that was a caramel with a notable bready aromatic.

The flavor was bready with a lightly toasty character. A caramel maltiness was present and a spruce tip flavor that still came across with a strong menthol impression. The menthol was even a bit harsh on the palate. The light cinnamon spice that was present in the aroma was also around in the flavor.

The finish was dry with a somewhat harsh and then fading spruce and menthol into the aftertaste. The body was medium and the carbonation was on the low side. An interesting beer, but not one I would want to have again.

12 ounce blue bottle. Thanks BeerBeing!

09-02-2006 01:09:27 | More by GCBrewingCo
Metalmonk

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

The anticipation is high for this. A friend in Philadelphia talked it up favorably, though he didn't realize it was being bottled. He'd only had it at Yards'. Since visiting Yards wasn't possible at the time, we were super-surprised and glad to find this at the Foodery (Philly beer store), in a bottle. A blue bottle, no less. Here goes...

Pours an off-white soapy head that doesn't last long, but remains a skim over top the entire session. The color is beautiful, a glistening ruby-brown, reminds of how many barley wines are colored.

Aroma is earthy evergreen and completely natural-smelling. Spruce is in there but well balanced against a more syrupy aroma. A fresh, organic, of-the-soil sort of scent.

Like the aroma, you get plenty of spruce in the flavor, taking the form of a tangy hops--earthy and piney and bitter (but not overly so). Molasses adds a sweet malt-type balance, and hints of cinnamon and nutmeg are present. The finish is a little odd though. Understandable considering this isn't made with your typical ingredients, but it would've been that much better without the sticky, grassy aftertaste.

Really good, quite different, very enjoyable, a must for anyone looking for unique and unusual beers of high quality.

07-09-2006 21:29:06 | More by Metalmonk
BCMan

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

I was really looking forward to this beer when it was selected for my beer club. The Advocate that selected it fully expected to not like it but is a sucker for limited release brews especially one from the local brewery.

I hadn't noticed the blue glass bottle until I cracked open this evening. Definetly raises the fun factor to the presentation. I don't know the significance of the blue but I like it. The label frames the grand pimp of Philadelphia, Ben Franklin.

The grew poored up a murky brown color with a hint of ruby when it hits the light. Not real active out of the bottle which surprised me for some reason. A thin layer of foam lingered throughout the duration of the glass. The nose is spicy and is an introduction to the spicy flavor. Most of the flavor builds with the after taste which I think made it better.

I'm glad I weas able to try this beer and am surprised how much I liked it. I must admit I was on my friends side thinking it would be bad. I couldn't drink several of these but might have one or two in a sitting.

Worth a try.

06-08-2006 23:52:50 | More by BCMan
Phatz

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

This was a very unique beer and I am glad for the opportunity to have tried it but it is a little too intense for me. Maybe the on-tap version is not so wild but I had this in the bottle yesterday and I can still taste the tree bark. WOW!

Presentation: A very unique blue glass bottle with Franklin on it. I should have snatched up the bottle to get a picture of it. I have never seen a bottle quite like it.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color but partly translucent. Decent tan head.

Smell: Overwhelmingly spicy spruce. This isn't called "Spruce Ale" for not.

Taste: I enjoy tasting something this crazy wild but I have a hard time rating it. What to compare it to boggles me. It reminds me of when my uncle used to take me and my cousins on walks through the woods. He would pull off pieces of various tree bark and say smell that or break of a twig and say chew on that it is... I always thought he was crazy chewing on tree. (Birch is pretty good) This was like chewing on a spruce tree and getting a mouthful of needles. It was not a bad taste but I don't know that I would drink it very often.

Mouthfeel: For as big as the aroma and taste were I was expecting a bigger body. It was a bit thin and light weight but creamy and decent.

Drinkability: What to say, what to say. I enjoyed the little bit I had but even one 12oz may be a bit cloyingly spruce, but what style is this to compare it too? I recommend you give it a shot yourself and see what you think. Be prepared, it is unique.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

06-02-2006 05:40:49 | More by Phatz
stingo

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A unique beer, made from a recipe known to Benjamin Franklin. Pours a nice brownish-ruby red with a pale white-tan head. The head dissipates to a dusting in the pint, with some lacing. There seems to be very little nose on it, though - so I may have to revisit this later after living with the beer for a while. Taste and mouthfeel are truly delightful - nice roasty,well rounded malt flavor - hints of chocolate, spruce and a delicate bitterness rounding the finish. The beer has a nice 4.5% abv so could easily become a favored session brew for me. (Yes, you get the flavor of a good spiced beer, but a lot less of the guilt/abv - can you say winner?) I have to admit that I was skeptical at first, but I think Yards has produced a real winner with this brew - well worth seeking out and tasting. I'll definitely be having this the next time I'm at the City Tavern. As a side note, Yards' other Ales of the Revolution (Thomas Jefferson Ale, George Washington Porter) are quite tasty too, so drink a bit of history today!

04-23-2006 18:46:23 | More by stingo
HugoGrim

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Served on tap in a goblet at the City Tavern in Philadelphia. Color is a dark ruby/black with a bit of light peeking through. No head by the time it reached me, but some decent lacing.

Aroma is predominantly spicy and woody with hints of leather. Also some fruits.

Deep, rich, spicy flavor. Very Earthy and woody. Rustic. Elements of dark fruits. Smokey finish.

03-28-2006 02:32:09 | More by HugoGrim
whartontallboy

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Comes in a deep brown, almost black pint with a good-sized tan head that held pretty well and left some lace.

Aroma is spruce and pine, a sticky-sweet maltiness, and a bit of bitterness.

Flavor is not quite like anything else I've ever tasted. Spruce needles, dark chocolate, cherries, sweet malts, licorice, and a bit of phenolic flavors blend together to make it really interesting. Mouthfeel is fairly creamy and medium-bodied.

Overall: A very unique taste, and not something you'd want more than one pint of. But for what it is, it's quite interesting and worth a try.

02-08-2006 15:18:49 | More by whartontallboy
dawg

4.28/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass with little head. Light could peek through the deep amber body.

The aroma was a tight balance of spruce, spices, and hops.

Mouthfeel was alright but nothing to write home about. The lack of head was a drag and I couldn't get anything special from the feel.

Tasted awesome. Like the scent there was a good balance between the needles, hops, malts, and I was stunned by a subtle citrus orange zest poking through with the finish.

Liked it enough to have a second. Probably could have had more.

01-24-2006 23:38:26 | More by dawg
ggaughan

On tap at the Grey Lodge. The beer pours a very deep, dark brown color with a nice thick white head.

The aroma of the beer is very complex with definite tones of the spruce in it and spicy notes.

The taste is a nice roasted malt base with definite taste from the spruce. it is an odd ingredient to have but I really enjoyed it and would like to try it again. The beer is pretty drinkable but I think I could only have a few in a night. Maybe get a bottle or 2 to keep for awhile. Thanks to Ben Franklin.

01-23-2006 01:32:02 | More by ggaughan
BitterBrian

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

Obtained from the brewery, served from a blue bottle with a Yard's Sticker on it.

Pour - a deep garnet/brown with an off-white head about 1 inch thick. Head disappears into a frothy ring within minutes.

Smell - Smells like a brown sugar and nutmeg. when you really stick your nose into it you can pick out the pine but it is heavily masked by the molasses.

Taste - I'll start by saying I doubted that I'd like this beer. I was right. It's a great historical reference (based on Ben's recipe), but not something I would drink today. Tastes like a badly made herbed Christmas ale, probably because it lacks the malt backend.

Finish - It feels like I just sprayed pine-sol into my mouth. I need to keep drinking it so I don't taste the finish.

If I was alive 250 years ago, I would undoubtebly enjoy this. As I drink it, I can definitely see myself getting used to the taste.

Kudos to Yard's for bringing this beer back to life from Ben's Recipe and for giving me the chance to taste the past.

01-22-2006 21:17:00 | More by BitterBrian
brentk56

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a cloudy dark amber body, small head and no lacing

Smell: Herbal aroma from the spruce and molasses

Taste: Overwhelming herbacious taste; somewhat medicinal

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Interesting brew, but not my cup of tea; just a little too over the edge; I much prefered the Poor Richard's from Olde Hickory in North Carolina

01-20-2006 04:49:22 | More by brentk56
Foxman

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

It came to me a deep ruby, close to brown through the center, with a finger of off-white head that soon settled to patches of froth. Bubbly lacing graced the inside of the glass.

The aroma wafted rapidly dispersed drafts of berry fruit and mulling spice, along with the merest hint of evergreen.

Upon tasting, there was a push of well-toasted malt: earthy, sweet, and bragging of a forest of berries. Nutmeg and cinnamon punctuated an autumnal spice character, and the sweet nature was enhanced by the grounded presence of molasses. The finish dried promptly to a mildly herbaceous tingle. It was very interesting, and it was suprisingly pleasantly blended.

Pretty much light bodied, it leaves an herbal and sweet legacy for a comfy spell.

I was intrigued, and happy to try it, even though my only exposure to real coniferous infusion has been OSA, but I like that a lot, so I had to give it a go. I was pleased, as it had a well-blended, rounded set of elements, as opposed to any one that jumps out and kicks you in the shins. Its toasty, roasty, piney and fine. The aroma thinned out a lot more rapidly than I expected, but that really was the onnly thing that I felt came up remotely short. It's a sassy style, and this one is just that as well. It goes down easily, especially with a chill in the air. I see a re-visit in the near future.

12-01-2005 16:58:12 | More by Foxman
blitheringidiot

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured a garnet hue into a generous wine glass topped with a frothy skirt of settled broken scattered head cap. Lace scattered bubbles form.

Aroma: Slight raspberry berries and bundt cake. [inside the City Tavern the whole place smells like cinamon anywho.]

FS: Voracious frisky spicy toasted malts. Nutmeg. Dry slight red wine vinous finish. Slight root beer middle. Earthy minerally with some leafy herbal notes of sage and cranberry.

Feel is a rather thin body, despte the dark appearance.

Drinkability: Well...curiosity slaked! Vindi, vici....A spicy brown yeah! No ABV detection.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

11-26-2005 07:38:52 | More by blitheringidiot
Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale from Yards Brewing Co.