Love Stout - Yards Brewing Co.

Love StoutLove Stout

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 05-16-2002

Our brewers have poured their hearts and roasted malted into this rich, slightly sweet stout. Luscious notes of coffee and chocolate accent the smooth, creamy, mouth feel. We will not apologize for any amorous affairs resulting from the consumption of this beverage.
2.18/5  rDev -42.2%

I open the beer and the head rushes to the top, I have to sip some to hold it back. It pours a deep brown/light black color but the tan head is huge, so I have to wait a bit. Smell is weak but I get some sweet chocolate and maybe some roasted coffee flavors. The taste begins with a nice semi-sweet chocolate flavor but in the middle I pick up on a saltiness. There's a salty/sour mix that is really throwing me off. I can't even finish this beer b/c of this flavor. It seriously almost reminds me of seaweed or the ocean, but not in a good way. Really weird and really not my thing. (583 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown with generous crimson highlights. I'm always a little leery if a stout isn't opaque. This one is nowhere close when backlit with strong sunlight. The beige cap is large, firm and pitting. It falls slowly and unevenly, leaving a small amount of lace behind.

Love Stout doesn't really smell like a stout. On second thought, it smells like what I imagine a 'Belgian stout' would smell like since it has that phenolic funkiness that I typically associate with Belgian yeast. There's a faint roasted maltiness in there, but none of the other usual stout-like aromas.

The Belgian character is evident on the palate as well. Thanks to the appearance of a weak chocolate maltiness, LS is now more recognizable as an English stout. It tastes like someone took an average quality stout and added a few ounces of Orval to it. Not good. The finish is roasty, funky and sour. The mouthfeel is light-medium and is porter-like.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but Yards Love Stout is not a beer that I found to be enjoyable. Maybe it was the oysters, but something did not agree with my taste buds at all. (1,102 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -29.4%

Bought this on a whim in a mixed-six. I never knew Yard's made this brew and was immediately reeled in by the labeling and intrigued by the description.

I do consider myself a solid stout fan, but this is a tough beer to drink.

It has a unique aroma that first reminded me of a smoked sausage. Definitely has the roasted coffee-like finish typical to most stouts.

All-in-all, I'd say that this is the Carmen Electra of beers...nice look, questionable taste. (461 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -29.2%

eyes...
2 fingers of thick tan head, settles down nicely and is sticky as a movie theater floor, black and quite opaque like obsidian, your pretty standard looking stout.

nose...
smoky with a nice roast background, coffee with hints of chocolate, maybe not the most complex thing but it very nice.

taste etc...
way too light, this drinks like water, the roast flavor is there but is also thin. the body on this is awful, this is not much to write about, the flavor is not terrible but the mouthfeel is so distracting.

verdict?
no love for this one. I love this about as much as I love root canal. (609 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -28.1%

Appearance:

Pitch black w/ huge light tan head.

Smell:

Difficult to discern, there is almost a void of smell here, and thus it is uninviting.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Completely lacks character. If I were to drink this blindfolded I'd be hard pressed to lable this a stout. Unremarkable and disappointing. (314 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

It had a distinct hop smell and light maltyness character to the nose. Taste was of mild roasted malt, quickly washed away with crisp hops. It reminds me of a couple black ipas I've had. A one time beer only for me. (217 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

Got this bottle in a holiday self mixed case. I had a Love Stout years back and remembered that it was brewed with oysters. I checked the website and that is not the case anymore. Wonder what type of impact that has on the flavor and character of a stout? (I’ll take that question to the forums.)

Anyway… The Love Stout pours a very dark brown color; approaching black. No real head to speak of, just some cloudy tan wisps on the top of the beer, and even that is all gone before I’m halfway through the tasting. There is almost no lacing.

Really the first thing to jump out at me about this beer is that it tastes eerily similar to an ESB. It has similar notes in the nose (roasted malts was all I was able to get,) is smooth on the front of the palate, and has a slightly bitter finish. The difference that jumps out is that there is very little carbonation that creates a silky mouthfeel. Nothing striking about the flavor.

I thought the Love Stout was a decent brew, but there are many other stouts that I would choose before getting to this one. (1,056 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -22.5%

Appearance: A dark brown pour with a mahogony tent when put up to the light, and a one finger tan head

Smell: A lot of musty dark fruit and very subtle roasted malt, the slightest hint of chocolate if you search for it

Taste: Same as the nose, but somehow even worse; stale dark fruits and stale light roasted malt

Mouthfeel; Light body, and way too light and drinkable for a stout. Slight bitter finish

Overall: This was worse than i imagined. It reminds me of Guinness Extra, which is far from a compliment. Everything about it screams weak, musty, and watery. A six pack runs $10 around me. A bomber is the same price. Thats a freakin joke! Im surprised by some of the high ratings. Glad i only got a single. Everything iv had from this brewery is average at best. Pass this one up in all seriousness. (809 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -21.8%

I don't know what the "love" in here is, but I'm not a fan. It's looks nice enough with a pitch black body. And it smells fine with big roasted grains. Then in the flavor something goes wrong. Again, there's the big, black grains along with a distinctly English yeast milk or cream-like flavor. But there's an awful astringency that throws it all off and makes me frown and put my glass down. I didn't finish this one. (418 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -21.5%

A 12 ounce bottle purchased to-go from the Craft Ale House for around $2. Poured into my nonic Imperial pint glass. Appears a dark brown color akin to cola with a fizzy, quickly dissipating head to match. The nose is greeted with notes of sweet molasses, chocolate, and medium roasted grains. Aroma is the best thing this stout has going for it. Tastes of watered down mildly roasted grains, bitter cocoa, maybe some very watery weak coffee. Has a seltzer water aftertaste. A bit thin bodied with medium to moderate carbonation. (528 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -20.2%

Beautiful pour from 12 oz bottle. Deep brown/black color w/two finger brown head.

Smell was sweet and nutty... like a peanut chew candy bar. Hint of roasted coffee, too.

Taste was odd - what's up with the citrus? Did maintain some nuttiness, with an ever-so-slight hint of black licorice and coffee.

Did not enjoy the watery and tangy mouthfeel - did not feel this represented a stout too well... but maybe I'm just too used to American and RIS styles.

Wasn't bad, but relative to other stouts, this one ranked low on the drinkability meter for me. I had this one on draught the other week, and it seemed much different - richer, more stout-like... was not in a position to review though. (696 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -18.6%

A very dark brown stout. Actually pretty much black , because the only time brown is visable is when held up to the light. Has a big brown head. The aroma is coffee and chocolate with a slight hint of vanilla back in there somewhere. The flavor starts out with a nice bittersweet chocolate character but is washed away by the watery mouthfeel. Then as some sort of delayed reaction there is a strange bitterness that appears at the back of your throat. (452 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This beer reminds me of the snow laden streets of philadelphia. Had some good times around it. Pretty standard stout, mid to heavy body, mid thickness in mouth feel, chocolaty notes with roasted malts. Middle of the road, but still pretty tasty (245 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

Got this on cast at Standard Tap in Philly a little while ago.

A: Pours a black body with a frothy, tan head with ok retention and lacing until the finish.

S: Kind of a sweet, malt smell with some roasted notes. Decent smelling beer overall.

T: A roasted, malt taste with a slightly roasted barley taste. Nice roasted notes was pretty nice.

M: A fairly smooth and light mouthfeel that was pretty typical of an American stout. Ok overall, but nothing overly impressive.

D: An ok mouthfeel and taste combination overall, but nothing overly impressive. Pretty good beer overall, but did not really blow me out of the water. (625 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours out black with a small brown head that faded pretty quickly and left no lace.

Smell is smoke, roasted malts, a light coffee bitterness, and maybe something faintly salty.

Flavor is sweet and roasty, with a light chocolate/coffee flavor. Hoppiness is light, but there's a slightly bitter/salty ring on the back end. The saltiness really hurt it for me; it tempered the chocolate and gave it a soy-sauce kick. It's still not bad, but not as good as I was hoping for.

Overall: A decent brew, but not a killer one. The saltiness was its undoing for me, but I couldn't tell if it was intentional or not. (616 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -14.9%

A - Pours 2 fingers of thick tan head that has great retention and leaves a little bit of clinging lace. The beer is an opaque black.

S - Has a big sweet malt aroma, as well as coffee and some chocolate.

M - A light-medium bodied beer with a pretty high amount of carbonation for a stout.

T - The sweet malts hit first but then are overpowered by a sour astringent taste. The sour taste then fades to a slightly bitter chocolate.

Very different for a stout, although I thought the sour taste was a little overpowering and overshadowed a lot of the other flavors in this beer. (579 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -14.9%

The beer is nearly black. Some deep scarlet red streaks can be seen against light. The head is light brown and creamy. Decent size and retention as well. Dusty grain, cocoa powder and a little vanilla mix in on the nose. Lacing is more than adequate. The taste leaves something to be desired. Sour, light vinegar notes are a bit off putting. Behind that, there's some decent roasted barley and chocolate, but it's hard to get at. The mouthfeel is a little too carbonated for a stout, but not overly so. Pretty average stuff here. (529 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -13.5%

A-Dark. Thick white head.

S - chocolates, saltwater?

T - chocolate bitters. Is my brain telling me I taste a slight undertone of oyster or ocean Ot have I been duped? Not sure. there is something unique and nice in the middle of the experience.

Mf - standard for a stout.

O - good. I think the oysters really do add something nice. (339 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -12.7%

Served on nitro at Lucky Lab Tavern into a standard pint glass.

A: Deep black, completely opaque with some dark brown hues around the edges. A very creamy, milky and silky slightly off-white head sticks around for the entire drink. Sticky, thick patches of lace coat the glass all the way to the bottom. Nitro just absolutely kills in appearance, this thing is great looking.

S: Roasted malts, chocolate, caramel, salt, slight nuttiness and some toasted grains. It's not really impressive in it's smell but reading that oysters were added to the kettle, I think that's where this astringent saltiness is coming from. Odd, but not detracting though not really aromatic at all.

T: Faint roast from the malts and grains, touches of bitter dark chocolate, grounded coffee beans, salt and a touch of seaweed. The dark malt profile certainly does overtake the flavor profile (thank goodness) but there's still this very tangent flavor coming through. I don't know, it's good and drinkable but not something that's out of this world.

M: Creamy, silky and smooth, thank you nitro-tap. It does feel a bit watery for such a low (or no) carbonation level, dropping it a bit in my opinion.

This was okay, it wasn't anything special but went down extremely easy and I enjoyed it. I'm not too sure if it's anything I'd really ever order again though. Not bad, not great, pretty standard. Thanks for the pint, Yards. (1,406 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured a typical dark black stout color with 2 finger tan head. Head hangs tough for about 3-4 minutes and fades into a thin film. Nose exploded with coffee and cream, roasted barley and chocolate. Very full and nice aroma, probably the beers best quality.

Taste was sharp coffee bitterness at the start with smooth milky sweetness following. Slightly slick bittersweet chocolate flavor backs everything up. The mouthfeel is oily, but rather light. Not very much weight from the mouthfeel perspective, rather thin. Finishes bittersweet and quick. Overall a descent stout. The body could be better. Complexity could be a bit better as well. The aroma of this beer is what really shines, everything else is just above average. (727 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a nice dark and rich brown resulting in a big foamy head. Many bubbles rising from the bottom. Aroma is that of a stout, but not as strong as you may find with a Guiness. Taste is a bit chocolately and sweet at first, but finishes off with a pleasant bitter sensation on the back of the tongue. The mouthfeel isn't as heavy as I expected from a stout, but it coats the mouth nicely. Aftertaste is definitely smooth and enjoyable.

Overall, I really liked this local brew and would love to have another! (510 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

poured from a 12oz long neck brown bottle with crimped-on cap into a nonic glass.Saved this one to review on Valentines Day with the name of the beer,thought I seen at one time on the label that this beer was brewed with oysters. Not on this label.

Opaque,coal black with a 1" tan head,decent retention,not much lacing.

Very roasty aroma,burnt smell,carmelly. Woody and earthy with subtle fruit notes.

Very roasty taste,burnt tastes,woody/earthy with some dark fruit tastes, a bit of tartness to the finish.

Light mouthfeel,smooth,slightly watery. Good drinkability with the lighter body.
Nothing exciting a good, tasty, stout could drink a few of these. (667 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance – Opaque brown/black with faint crimson edges when held up to the light. A small creamy tan head tops the beer for most of my drinking, slowly sinking to a hazy covering. Lacing is a solid coating around most of the glass, impressive.

Smell – Strong roast barley smell along with some coffee. There is also some sweetness in the aroma, a departure from the typical Irish dry stout. No evidence of hops at this point.

Taste – Roast barley all the way through. There is some bitterness from the malts on the back of the tongue. Definitely chocolate and coffee flavors, but they are pretty mild compared to most current American Stouts, but it is close to the English stout profile. It’s a decent stout flavor, but nothing outstanding that makes me crave the next sip. This was my first oyster stout, and I didn’t even realize it until I was about half-way through. I cannot really taste the oysters or notice any effect they have on the beer.

Mouthfeel – Certainly light for a stout, even a little watery. There is only a small amount of carbonation.

Drinkability – It goes down pretty quick for a stout because of the light mouthfeel, but nothing makes Love Stout stand out for me to get more. (1,223 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured a deep black color with a very nice, foamy tan head that remained throughout the beer.

The scent was of roasted chocolate malt.

The taste was of roasted malt, chocolate, and notes of burnt coffee.

Medium body, very creamy and smooth, low carbonation.

This was a decent beer, though I thought there could have been a bit more flavor. (346 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had this twice now in the past 6 weeks and, I gotta say, while the taste is pretty nice, about what I expect from an oyster stout, there's something a little off-putting about the look of this beer and, to an extent, the mouthfeel perhaps.

The ABV of this particular batch floating around is apparently around 7% as well, according to folks at the brewery.

Anyway, the color is just about jet black, with maybe some tinges of brown on the outer reaches. The head is disturbing - and, mind you, I had this last night at a bar in Philly after having it 6 or so weeks ago AT the brewery (and it may have been on draft...) - the look and overall everything was just about identical.... To me, the "head" reminds me of soap bubbles - large individual bubbles for beer, let alone on cask - a couple dozen soap bubbles left behind after a poor rinse of a glass - kind of similar to soda bubbles. I've had plenty of cask beer here and abroad and I can't quite recall finding, instead of an average looking head, simply 20-25 ogreish looking bubbles in small patches clinging listlessly to the rim of the glass. Understand, this is an observation foremost, sounds a bit like a complaint and certainly may be construed as one - surely the brewers are aware of this "issue". I don't know the causes or what-have-you surrounding this appearance - if it's intentional, unavoidable, or what.

Luckily, the beer has a fairly attractive smell and flavor, full of sweet molasses, extremely subtle roasted/bitter notes, and that smoothness courtesy of the oyster shells. It drinks perhaps a tad watery - really no carbonation - but the taste beckons you to drink more and be happy. If it's in fact around 7%, the alcohol doesn't show. In comparing it to imperial stouts and/or Irish drys I often come across (and drink), yes, the flavors do exhibit English qualities. So they're on in that aspect.

Who knows? Maybe both times I've had it it wasn't exactly "ready" yet. Like I said, I've had quite a few cask ales - but I'm hardly an expert. I've learned to recognize certain qualities in cask ales (which I love) that definitely set them apart from force carbonated beers. I'm also aware of the concept that cask ales continue to mature or develop in the cask over the short life of the beer. In both of these instances, I think the vessels were just tapped that day...

I love Yards' beers and I'll surely try this again in hopes that I'm missing something here or that whatever I believe is off IS really off and it gets worked out. Hopefully, I can get to try it from a bottle while it's around this season. (2,600 characters)

Love Stout from Yards Brewing Co.