2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Love Stout - Yards Brewing Co.

Love StoutLove Stout

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Stout |  5.00% ABV

Our brewers have poured their hearts and roasted malted into this rich, slightly sweet stout. Luscious notes of coffee and chocolate accent the smooth, creamy, mouth feel. We will not apologize for any amorous affairs resulting from the consumption of this beverage.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 05-16-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 296 | Reviews: 144 | Show All Ratings:
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

black, with a huge cream colored head, that took a long while to settle down. Lace made the glass opaque, this was definatly fresh! Smell was of rosted malts with a hint of coffee. The taste was great. Roasted coffee and malts, very nice, slight hop is the back, and the taste lingered, deep dark chocolate with, a bit of caramel, very nicely done. The mouthfeel was almost perfect for a stout. Thick, nicely carbonated, smooth delivery

11-14-2011 23:40:35 | More by mikesgroove
reinheitsgebot83

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz. bottle from the Craft Beer Outlet, NE Philadelphia; as I'm typing.

A: Looks like a dark coffee in the glass and when held to a light a reddish tint is visible. The caramel colored head dissipates quickly and results in a thin lace during consumption.

S: More than anything the malt is evident adding some coffee notes and the hops are very light, barely noticeable.

T: Flavor leaning towards the dark malts with a taste reminiscent of baking chocolate but not as painfully bitter.

M: Thick feel with light carbonation provides a smooth feel that coats your mouth and throat and won't let you forget it.

D: Putting all the elements together this brew from Yards goes down great and asks that you have another. Definitely something to give a try.

07-27-2009 23:59:40 | More by reinheitsgebot83
jmalex

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

I'm impressed more and more with Yards with each beer I have from them. This is a new one for me though, so hopefully it lives up to my opinion of the brewery's quality.

APPEARANCE: Pours into an English-style nonic almost completely black with a healthy, light brown head on top that is one-finger high. It gradually shrinks down to a nearly full cap of foam. Abstract lacing patterns mark my progress down the glass.

SMELL: Full of a thick roast character that borders on burnt char. That in combination with a slightly buttery and fruity element from the yeast gives this the feel of a robust porter (which makes sense since the styles are very similar). Rich, deep caramel are highlighted much more than any chocolate component and give the beer a slight sweetness to balance out any acridity of the black malt.

TASTE: Really similar to the aroma with the heavy roast character being at the forefront. Any substantial sweetness of the malt can't quite measure up to the drying bitterness this beer carries. The fermentation is obviously English, again as in the smell. It has some buttery notes adding another dimension though it seems slightly overdone.

MOUTHFEEL: Low carbonation and a medium body seem spot on for the style.

DRINKABILITY: Drinkability is something that English-style beers definitely have going for them, and Love Stout is no different. 5% ABV is reasonable, and several bottles of this brew are just as reasonable.

Not too shabby. Even if you don't like the beer, you can't argue that this isn't true to style. As for me, I'll be enjoying the one I have and perhaps seeking out a few more to enjoy down the line. The bottom line is that Yards makes good, exciting beer.

06-05-2009 20:11:32 | More by jmalex
ClockworkOrange

2.9/5  rDev -23.9%

A 12 ounce bottle purchased to-go from the Craft Ale House for around $2. Poured into my nonic Imperial pint glass. Appears a dark brown color akin to cola with a fizzy, quickly dissipating head to match. The nose is greeted with notes of sweet molasses, chocolate, and medium roasted grains. Aroma is the best thing this stout has going for it. Tastes of watered down mildly roasted grains, bitter cocoa, maybe some very watery weak coffee. Has a seltzer water aftertaste. A bit thin bodied with medium to moderate carbonation.

05-07-2009 03:15:14 | More by ClockworkOrange
MusicaleMike

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

I first tried Yards Love Stout years ago on my first visit to Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia. I think I ordered the beer because it was cheap and local. The bartender poured the beer and then put the bottle down in front of me. I read on the label, to my amazement, that this was brewed with oysters! I had never heard of such a crazy thing before, and I was really pleased with the beer too. (I swear I thought I could taste something different about the beer...something fishy) There was really something about that beer which got me hooked, and I came back for more. Then, all of a sudden, it was gone. Until about a year ago, that is. I was pretty happy to see it back on the shelf, and I instantly bought a case. However, I find out that it is not brewed with oysters anymore. When I tasted it this time, I found it to be a standard, decent stout, but lacking its original pizazz. After going through the better part of a case, I am over the whole recipe change. This holds up pretty well.

Poured into a pint glass. No freshness date on the bottle. The bottle reads: "Straight from the heart of the City of Brotherly Love comes a dark and chocolatey seductive little stout dominated by roasted malt flavor. This is one Philly favorite that won't break your heart and will always love you back. Alc. 4.5% by Vol."

A: It pours with a medium sized tan head that crackles away slowly but surely, leaving nothing after about a half a glass. The black body looks fine with brown edges, yet this is at best a standard look for this style. The head needed to be thicker and more compact. There was little to no lacing on the glass.

S: A fantastic smell! Burnt grains, charcoal and a molasses sweetness are all dominant. There is no hop aroma as far as I can detect. What is there in the background is subtle fruit notes. I first get the smell of dates and figs. Then as the beer warms up, banana chips.

T: Acrid roasted flavor stands out most, supported by a juicy, fruity malt sweetness. There is sweetness up front, and in my opinion, more sweetness than the style calls for. Light burnt toast flavor on the exhale. Surprisingly, and to the beer's credit, there is not much that I would characterize as coffee-ish. Maybe some milk chocolate flavor, but that is stretching. Mostly this beer is dominated by deeply roasted grains.

M: Medium to light bodied, which is on target here. The carbonation is fine, and adds some prickliness where I don't think there should be any. It is not English stout smooth.

D: A strong point of this beer. Good drinkability, low alcohol, good for cooking with. I went through a case with ease, despite my disappointment about the lack of oysters. Yards! Bring the oyster stout back! I would think that trying this beer on cask would be excellent, and I am going to seek that out.

03-29-2009 09:37:31 | More by MusicaleMike
boralyl

Oregon

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

A - Pours 2 fingers of thick tan head that has great retention and leaves a little bit of clinging lace. The beer is an opaque black.

S - Has a big sweet malt aroma, as well as coffee and some chocolate.

M - A light-medium bodied beer with a pretty high amount of carbonation for a stout.

T - The sweet malts hit first but then are overpowered by a sour astringent taste. The sour taste then fades to a slightly bitter chocolate.

Very different for a stout, although I thought the sour taste was a little overpowering and overshadowed a lot of the other flavors in this beer.

09-18-2008 01:35:37 | More by boralyl
BeerImmediately

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Beautiful pour from 12 oz bottle. Deep brown/black color w/two finger brown head.

Smell was sweet and nutty... like a peanut chew candy bar. Hint of roasted coffee, too.

Taste was odd - what's up with the citrus? Did maintain some nuttiness, with an ever-so-slight hint of black licorice and coffee.

Did not enjoy the watery and tangy mouthfeel - did not feel this represented a stout too well... but maybe I'm just too used to American and RIS styles.

Wasn't bad, but relative to other stouts, this one ranked low on the drinkability meter for me. I had this one on draught the other week, and it seemed much different - richer, more stout-like... was not in a position to review though.

05-01-2008 01:38:18 | More by BeerImmediately
BeerB4Water

2.63/5  rDev -31%

Bought this on a whim in a mixed-six. I never knew Yard's made this brew and was immediately reeled in by the labeling and intrigued by the description.

I do consider myself a solid stout fan, but this is a tough beer to drink.

It has a unique aroma that first reminded me of a smoked sausage. Definitely has the roasted coffee-like finish typical to most stouts.

All-in-all, I'd say that this is the Carmen Electra of beers...nice look, questionable taste.

03-12-2008 01:06:49 | More by BeerB4Water
Slatetank

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

I had this bottle in commemoration of Valentine's, picked up at Quick 6 in York.
Decanted cool into my Corsendonk christmas glass.

A - An ebony body is a dark foundation for this rich stout, a full 2 fingers about the shade of honey maple for a head w/ a tight bead. The lace is moderate w/ minimal clinging.

S - A sweet dry aroma, there is a hint of cocoa and mineral note in the yeasty fragrance of this beer. Gentle notes of nutmeg and cinnamon w/ subtle woody odors of the hops.

M - A lilght drying feel w/ a moderately high carbonation and a powdery cocoa note.

T - Dry and nutty spiced notes mix w/ creamy and cocoa flavors that have piney hop tastes nestled in the mineral qualities - crisp and slightly more spice combines w/ a vanilla bean and coffee-like astringency. More herbal taste elements as the yeast gives a sort of english dry stout quality. Toasted and biscuit -like malt flavors are evident underneath the rich creamy flavors.

D - Rich and roasty though I truly loved the version w/ oyters in the boil - it had a better feel I would say. This is a good session strength stout that went well w/ my Ancho honey bourbon glazed chicken.

02-19-2008 20:07:57 | More by Slatetank
Deuane

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

Opened a bottle for St. Valentine's Day.

A-Deep brown with tawny highlights with a tan head. Left some find lacing.

S-Not particularly strong. Light roast with some hints of coffee...also a bit of sourness.

T-Roasted malts with some coffee and a bit of chocolate lingering. Some astringency with a bit of sourness.

M-Quite smooth but a bit thin. YOu can make a 5% stout with more body than this...a bit disappointing.

D-Sessionable for sure. Not a bad effort just not something that I would crave to drink multiples of.

02-15-2008 12:16:56 | More by Deuane
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Deep brown, almost black, with reddish tinges around the edges, not quite opaque. Two finger tan head with decent retention and thick lacing.
S: Roasted coffee and malt aroma that finishes with a slightly sweeter smell and a little spiciness.
T: Interesting for a stout. Immediately reminds me of an esb or english brown. Same flavors detected in smell of roasted coffee and malt, slight dark chocolate. Finish is dry and slightly bitter, can taste a little hops. Nothing overwhelming, an easy drinking stout with some traits from other styles.
M: Thicker side of medium, light carbonation, a little creamy, a little bitterness on the palate.
D: Not really comparable to other bigger stouts, but a very enjoyable, sessionable darker, stout like beer. I've had some issues with consistency in these recently, but still recommended for something easier drinking.

02-08-2008 01:29:53 | More by yourefragile
CrazyMacHarris99

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a dark black with a one to two finger tan head. Smells of roasted malts with a hint of smoke and coffee. The taste is a little less amazing compared to the expectations coming from the smell and appearance. Theres definitely a roasted malt taste as well as smoke and coffee with a hint of lactose. The taste fell off fast and for lack of a better word became almost tasteless. The mouthfeel is smooth and velvety which makes the drinkability better. I could definitely drink a few of these at the bar but nothing to write home about.

02-06-2008 04:07:21 | More by CrazyMacHarris99
tempest

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

I don't know what the "love" in here is, but I'm not a fan. It's looks nice enough with a pitch black body. And it smells fine with big roasted grains. Then in the flavor something goes wrong. Again, there's the big, black grains along with a distinctly English yeast milk or cream-like flavor. But there's an awful astringency that throws it all off and makes me frown and put my glass down. I didn't finish this one.

01-20-2008 05:03:43 | More by tempest
johanvond

Wisconsin

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Almost Black with tan two finged head off a gernorus pour in to an imperial pint. Through the roasted darkness you can see tons of bubbles tring to support a near guinness like head. Theres tones of carbonation and a supprising hop presance with a bit of a light body. Love also leaves a nice lace along with a coffie bitterness. Id try this one again esspically if i could find it on draft.

01-12-2008 22:28:04 | More by johanvond
letsgopens

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

This English Stout pours mostly black with some thin ruby highlights. The sizable tan head holds very well and leaves some impressive, thick walls of lace. I certainly hope it's as nice to drink as it is to look at.

Good and roasty with a decent amount of coffee and some bitter cocoa. The aroma then fades in to some sweet molasses and milk chocolate. A dash of leafy hops provide balance and a hint of additional bitterness. Just a hint of a metallic quality arises in the nostrils as well.

Again roasty, pleasant but not pungent. Characteristic of an English style I suppose. Notes of coffee and some sound smoke. Mildly acidic with hints of cocoa and nutty toffee; again reminiscent of an English brew. Some dark Belgian chocolate comes out in the finish. Not a roast bomb so don't expect that, just a well balanced, easy drinking and moderately flavorful stout. As my glass disappears, the flavor begins to remind me of toasted marshmallows. I'm not sure why; you be the judge. I like it.

The mouthfeel is again English in character, full-bodied but not super thick or syrupy. A distinct creaminess gives way to a lighter finish and moderate carbonation. Semidry with just a faint hint of warmth (booze is detectable). Well done. Tasty and very palatable. A lower abv for a stout and easy drinking nature makes for an excellent session brew.

01-11-2008 19:32:17 | More by letsgopens
sjohansen

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

Got this bottle in a holiday self mixed case. I had a Love Stout years back and remembered that it was brewed with oysters. I checked the website and that is not the case anymore. Wonder what type of impact that has on the flavor and character of a stout? (I’ll take that question to the forums.)

Anyway… The Love Stout pours a very dark brown color; approaching black. No real head to speak of, just some cloudy tan wisps on the top of the beer, and even that is all gone before I’m halfway through the tasting. There is almost no lacing.

Really the first thing to jump out at me about this beer is that it tastes eerily similar to an ESB. It has similar notes in the nose (roasted malts was all I was able to get,) is smooth on the front of the palate, and has a slightly bitter finish. The difference that jumps out is that there is very little carbonation that creates a silky mouthfeel. Nothing striking about the flavor.

I thought the Love Stout was a decent brew, but there are many other stouts that I would choose before getting to this one.

01-04-2008 01:19:51 | More by sjohansen
RblWthACoz

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours very dark with a small amount of light coming through. Very minimal tan head. Nose is very mild roasted beans. Flavor is not very interesting. A bitter hit comes at you first and there is a decent thick malty tone that gives very minor hints of molasses and roasted beans. Feels kind of thickly syrup like on the tongue. Seems odd to me. This is an easy to drink stout. Fairly smooth, but doesn’t bring any wild or interesting character to the table.

01-01-2008 06:35:58 | More by RblWthACoz
orangedive

Maryland

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Midnight black. 1/2 inch of cream-colored head. 100% opaque.

S - Major dark chocolate & some coffee notes. Hints of roasted malt.

T - More coffee than dark choc but still a substantial amount of dark choc. Hint of hops. Nice balance--nicely bitter. Tons of flavor in this one.

M - Great. Semi-soft. Fills the mouth pleasantly.

D - One of the most easy-drinking stouts I've ever had. One of the most flavorful non-imperial stouts I've ever had. Would have several more of these. Great stuff.

11-28-2007 03:46:56 | More by orangedive
templar316

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

A true oyster stout one of the few available on the market. This is a bottle aged almost two years in my beer cellar and the flavors have combined beutifully for a soft easily drinkable stout. The oysters are barely noticable except as something different about this stout, a slightly different scent and flavor then the usual malt, chocolate, roasty flovors your expecting from a stout. But even knowing it's oysters (clearly labeled on the bottle) it's not what I'd expect. The biggest drawback in my mind is the overabundance of carbonation, which gives it an acidic finish. Certainly a beer you must drink from a glass.

08-15-2007 04:04:23 | More by templar316
maek228

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Black with a tan head. Left some nice tan webbing down the glass as I drank it. Very pleasing to the eye

Smell: The scent isn't particularly strong. It smells roasted, slightly malty, and some hints of dark chocolate.

Taste: A bit watery, but otherwise an excellent stout. Roasted malts make up the bulk of the flavor, with some expresso/cooking lingering in there somewhere. Great lingering aftertaste

Mouthfeel: smooth but thin

Drinkability: This is a highly sessionable stout. Lately, as far as stouts are concerned, ive been drinking stronger imperials. this is a great change of pace

02-26-2007 01:49:05 | More by maek228
scottbrew4u

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Beer poured hard gave a thick light tan head. Aroma of roasted and burnt malt with slight coffee essence start off and stay a good bit into the finish. Not much hop bouquet coming through but the roasted grains smell gets the saliva flowing. Appearance is opaque black but not too thick seeming. Burnt malt flavor is quickly turned into a bitter coffee taste that is pleasing and desirable for this style. A hint of bakers chocolate rounds out the flavor. This beer is medium to full bodied and has moderate to low carbonation. Enjoyable beer with my salted cashews and dark chocolate. Could see how this combination could get the love flowing. Excited to try this on tap next!

02-22-2007 02:54:31 | More by scottbrew4u
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

poured from a 12oz long neck brown bottle with crimped-on cap into a nonic glass.Saved this one to review on Valentines Day with the name of the beer,thought I seen at one time on the label that this beer was brewed with oysters. Not on this label.

Opaque,coal black with a 1" tan head,decent retention,not much lacing.

Very roasty aroma,burnt smell,carmelly. Woody and earthy with subtle fruit notes.

Very roasty taste,burnt tastes,woody/earthy with some dark fruit tastes, a bit of tartness to the finish.

Light mouthfeel,smooth,slightly watery. Good drinkability with the lighter body.
Nothing exciting a good, tasty, stout could drink a few of these.

02-15-2007 04:23:22 | More by jcdiflorio
weeare138

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Unsure of the age of this bottle. I'm guessing it's from '05...
Appears black with a 1 finger, dark tan head that slowly fades into a film and collar. Streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of roasty oats, cream, cocoa, dark fruit, and mineral water with a touch of florally hops.
Taste is of cocoa with light coffee notes, cream, and gentle hopping, along with a touch of roasted coffee grounds.
Mouthfeel is sweet, bitter, sugary, & creamed coffee dosed with cocoa. Medium-full bodied with a bitter, slightly dry finish, along with vanilla and cocoa powder standing out, especially in the finish.
Enjoyable treat for sipping after dinner or with a cigar.

02-02-2007 15:22:41 | More by weeare138
tgbljb

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured a virtually back color with absolutely massive tannish head. Good retention with porfound lacing.
Smell is a nice mixture of roasted malt, cooffee, and dark fruits.
Smell follows through with nice coffee, chocolate, and fruit notes. A bit sweeter that I expected. but very enjoyable.
Easy drinking. Full and creamy in the mouth.
A very nice refreshing beer. Very middle of the road.

12-24-2006 21:05:44 | More by tgbljb
Phatz

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Pours Black with a light brown head and moderate lacing.

Smell: The aroma is a bit on the small side but still suitable for a stout and certainly pleasant. It has suggestions of black licorice molasses, dark malt, cocoa and a hint of berry.

Taste: Rich dark burnt malts, chocolate molasses a surprising nip of raspberry tanginess that I wasn't expecting and a hop presence, especially on the back end. Finishes with a lively but gentle lip smacking pucker inducing bite.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and quite crisp. More carbonated than many stouts but that added to the liveliness of the beer. The tart berry attribute the hint of hops and the carbonation create a very lively feel on the taste buds.

Drinkability: I really enjoyed this beer but is not one I personally would session. One went done nicely.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

11-29-2006 02:32:48 | More by Phatz
Love Stout from Yards Brewing Co.