Love Stout - Yards Brewing Co.

Love StoutLove Stout

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 05-16-2002

Our brewers have poured their hearts and roasted malted into this rich, slightly sweet stout. Luscious notes of coffee and chocolate accent the smooth, creamy, mouth feel. We will not apologize for any amorous affairs resulting from the consumption of this beverage.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 424 | Reviews: 162
4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

First had: on tap at Yards Brewing Co., Philly, PA

There was no written indication that this was on nitro-tap, but judging by the appearance, I believe it was. Poured an opaque black, with the milkiest, creamiest head I've ever seen on a beer: foamy white with tan shadowing, and it retained to the last drop, and laced nicely. Nice roasty aroma, with notes of coffee. Roasted malts and coffee in the taste, milk chocolate, with light briny notes in the background, giving an interesting blend of flavors. Not too thick in the body, but still very creamy, which I attributed mostly to the ubiquitous head. Very nice, and very drinkable. This was my first oyster stout, and although I was a bit squeamish about the style at first, I know it won't be my last.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Black, with a thin tan head that recedes a little quick, but leaves good lacing.

The aroma's a little weak, but this stout has a nice roasted malt character that even has hints of chocolate, and some earthy hops in the finish. After reading the description of this beer, I was thinking it would be almost an "oyster bomb" of a beer, but I can only detect them slightly in the finish. Medium to full body, nice low carbonation level, velvety smooth across the palate, finishes dry. I'd get this again.

3.76/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On nitro tap at East End Ale House in Harleysville, PA.

A- Beautiful on nitro with a great creamy head and cascades of cream. Leaves a solid lace all the way down!!!

S- Light, simple, roasty, and kind of fishy. I didn;t know the oysters would be so literal in the aroma.

T- Kind of acidic and briney... kind of reminds me of eating a v***. Light cholocate and roasty notes. Very unique and a little bit of an aphrodisiac in a weird kind of way.

M- On Nitro this is perfect. Could use a tad bit more body and feel.

D- The oysters get a tad bit overwhelming... however very palatable and would pair well with greasy apps. Sessionable ABV,

3.54/5  rDev -6.8%

A pint off the nitro line at memphis taproom.

A- great nitro cascade that gives two fingers of super creamy coffee and lots of cream colored head that holds for a bit then settles to leave a cm of dense cream on top. Black as night in color.

S- light nose that brings a bit of roast and dark bread.

T- dark roasted malts and a light milk chocolate sweetness. Its not a roast bomb by any means just well roasted. A bit of sharpness towards the finish with a mild tart briney hit.

M- on the lighter side of body with a super light nitro carb.

D- real easy going on this one. Nothing to write home about thou. A nice and simple stout. I will toss some oysters at it some time soon and see how it pairs.

4.46/5  rDev +17.4%

This beer is opaque. Waiting for the copious head to subside you are treated to malty chocolate aromas. At first taste is very clean and smooth like unsweetened whipped cream. A slight stouty bitterness devolopes as you get into it. Drinkability is excellent. An occaisional briny hint with good smooth mouthfeel and little astringency. Highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

On-tap at Chris' Jazz Cafe.

Dense charcoal color with a finger of clean, milky head. Carbonation is lively, but hard to see through that impenetrable body.

Chocolately aroma, with some Dry Stout bitterness and an instant coffee roasted bite. A mild licorice lingers in the background.

Smooth and creamy liquid. Milk chocolate flavor mingles effortlessly with a certain bitterness provided by the roasted malts and a touch of coffee. Despite its ABV, there's a pleasant hint of booze on the back of the tongue, just to remind you that you're not having a milkshake.

The mouth is extraordinarily silky and I imagine that the oysters involved in the brewing process are responsible for this. A nice bite in the conclusion successfully varies the flavors (sweet to bitter), making for a unique and tasty stout.

The 2010-2011 edition of this Winter seasonal may be the best Yards has ever brewed and having it on nitro is a really nice cold weather treat.

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%

Tasted at Yards Brewery on 12/23/10.

A - Black body with a creamy tan head from the nitro-pour.

S - Smelled of roasted malts.

T - Delicious! The tastes of the chocolate, black, and roasted malts were present.

M - Light to Medium. Easy drinking stout.

D - One of the best stouts I have had in a while. The taste and flavors were comparable of a Guinness but this was much better. Hoping to buy some bottles of this one next time I am at Yards.

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%

Went to Yards to get my beloved Love Stout. When I arrived at the chalk broad I noticed Love Stout said "Not Available". Getting ready to leave I noticed that they had just tapped a Cask of Love Stout! My friend mentioned that I had wanted some and Kevin was so kind to pour my friends and I five free samples. Large samples at that. It was exceptionally fresh and smooth. Dark with small tan head. Aroma is chocolate and roasted malt. Sweet, Smooth and flavorful. The oysters really add a nice compliment to the roasted malt flavor. I came back the next day and had another pint, it was again exceptional but had lost just a touch of its freshness. Kevin again hooked each of us up with a pint for nothing. What a great guy and group of guys there at Yards.

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this on nitro at Yards.Served in a lovely Love Stout glass in which I had to buy. Opague black with super smooth light brown colored head. Left lacing globs all around the glass.

Smell was heavy with roasted malt. A coffee aroma is how I'd say it settled out as that is all that I was getting out of the nose.

Taste again very roasted malty feel hits the tastebuds. A subtle chocolate taste takes over into a coffee bean finish.

Mouth was fuller bodied with a slight charred character in the mouth. It was velvety smooth and went down very easily.

I have been waiting a while to try this one and I must say one of the very best stouts from PA I've had. Very sessionable brew.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Nitro-tap at Jose Pistolas in Philadelphia.

Pours black with a 1.5-finger light brown head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of medium roasted malts with slight amounts of mineral aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells, but more robust. Smooth roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by hints of semi-sweet chocolate. Midway through the sip the flavors dry out just a bit and carry through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without any problems and could have another.

Overall this was a solid beer - I'd like to try it on-tap as opposed to nitro as I bet the smell would be sufficiently enhanced to make this beer better overall. Still, it's worth a shot in whatever serving method you find.

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a deep, dark near black with only faint highlights of brown around the edges... firm cap of brown head from the hand pump and good retention and lacing. Scent is earthy with notes of dark roasted grains, bitter chocolate char, smoke and a touch of coffee. Taste is a nice combination of the above notes from scent along with some creamy sweetness, nothing too bold or overpowering but solid. Fuller side of medium bodied, wonderfull on cask with the appropriate carbonation. The newly revisted cask/nitro version with the oysters blows the prior bottle and tap version from 2-3 years ago out of the water. Highly drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

On cask at The Grey Lodge in Northeast Philadelphia. I had this on cask 10 years ago at The old Yards Brewery and kinda liked it, revisited a bottle about a year ago and hated it, and trying it again, this time with the Oysters included again.

Love stout is black, black and dismal with a nice dark tan head thats bubbly and milkshakey. A nice smear of bubbles on the glass remain. Smell is English in that the ingredients are not bold. There is some chocolate, cocco, roast, smoke and salt from da Oysters. I don't like Oysters in general, to slimy for me feel wise, but they do impart a distinct salty vibe with some other taste I cant quite describe. Besides that this taste is a light mix of everything I just said above in the smell category. The chocolates are not very rich and/or potent. A bit of char/smoke as well. Body is thin and 'kinda' watery but it holds it's own, a nice light feel that makes for a smooth ride. Carb is low. I still kinda like this stout, it's not mindblowing and I don't have the urge to have a whole pint. But on occasion, the oysters included love stout is good for a small gander.

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

On Nitro at Local 44.

Yards' Love Stout was charcoal black with a very fine, firm, mocha head. Served on nitrogen, it looked very much like Guinness Drraught with the cascading waterfall of tiny bubbles. The smell was faintly chalky with dusty roasted grain. The taste was chocolately and had acidic roast at first that progressed to a pronounced milk caramel candy and flowery finish. The beer was silky smooth, with tiny soft bubbles.

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

A special one to polish off a nice sampling session at Yards Brewing's Taproom, a 10-12 oz. pour from the nitro-tap (branded stemware of uncertain size).

5% ABV; $5/pour.

A more-or-less traditional Oyster Stout brewed with shells only rather than with meat included.

A: Jet black with a solid delineation of dusty cream, about a finger high. Good lace sticks in broken strata, fades to smaller tidbits.

S: Surprisingly potent aroma (I've had several English stouts, especial on nitro, that have been nearly devoid): dry minerals and intermingled smoke, ash, soot. Dark chocolate and a subtle but marked brininess. Alluring.

T: Much of what was in the aroma is here: chocolate, smoke and spice. Again, the additives appear as a secluded hint, exuding an underlying mineral saltiness, before yielding a sweeter maltiness. Lasting finish is some char and a lurking dryness.

M: Creamy and smooth (as it should be), thanks to the nitrogen; on the thinner side body-wise, a little viscous/slick. Bittering hangs for several minutes on the tongue.

D: Tasty version of a good style, one that can be a little bit of a turn-off for the bivalve-averse...or a turn-ON for the amorous wishing to experience the oysters supposed aphrodisiac traits (I just got the 'Love' Stout double entendre as I typed this review). Glad to have had a chance at this one, certainly it's worth a try.

3.44/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had this twice now in the past 6 weeks and, I gotta say, while the taste is pretty nice, about what I expect from an oyster stout, there's something a little off-putting about the look of this beer and, to an extent, the mouthfeel perhaps.

The ABV of this particular batch floating around is apparently around 7% as well, according to folks at the brewery.

Anyway, the color is just about jet black, with maybe some tinges of brown on the outer reaches. The head is disturbing - and, mind you, I had this last night at a bar in Philly after having it 6 or so weeks ago AT the brewery (and it may have been on draft...) - the look and overall everything was just about identical.... To me, the "head" reminds me of soap bubbles - large individual bubbles for beer, let alone on cask - a couple dozen soap bubbles left behind after a poor rinse of a glass - kind of similar to soda bubbles. I've had plenty of cask beer here and abroad and I can't quite recall finding, instead of an average looking head, simply 20-25 ogreish looking bubbles in small patches clinging listlessly to the rim of the glass. Understand, this is an observation foremost, sounds a bit like a complaint and certainly may be construed as one - surely the brewers are aware of this "issue". I don't know the causes or what-have-you surrounding this appearance - if it's intentional, unavoidable, or what.

Luckily, the beer has a fairly attractive smell and flavor, full of sweet molasses, extremely subtle roasted/bitter notes, and that smoothness courtesy of the oyster shells. It drinks perhaps a tad watery - really no carbonation - but the taste beckons you to drink more and be happy. If it's in fact around 7%, the alcohol doesn't show. In comparing it to imperial stouts and/or Irish drys I often come across (and drink), yes, the flavors do exhibit English qualities. So they're on in that aspect.

Who knows? Maybe both times I've had it it wasn't exactly "ready" yet. Like I said, I've had quite a few cask ales - but I'm hardly an expert. I've learned to recognize certain qualities in cask ales (which I love) that definitely set them apart from force carbonated beers. I'm also aware of the concept that cask ales continue to mature or develop in the cask over the short life of the beer. In both of these instances, I think the vessels were just tapped that day...

I love Yards' beers and I'll surely try this again in hopes that I'm missing something here or that whatever I believe is off IS really off and it gets worked out. Hopefully, I can get to try it from a bottle while it's around this season.

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz. bottle from the Craft Beer Outlet, NE Philadelphia; as I'm typing.

A: Looks like a dark coffee in the glass and when held to a light a reddish tint is visible. The caramel colored head dissipates quickly and results in a thin lace during consumption.

S: More than anything the malt is evident adding some coffee notes and the hops are very light, barely noticeable.

T: Flavor leaning towards the dark malts with a taste reminiscent of baking chocolate but not as painfully bitter.

M: Thick feel with light carbonation provides a smooth feel that coats your mouth and throat and won't let you forget it.

D: Putting all the elements together this brew from Yards goes down great and asks that you have another. Definitely something to give a try.

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

Got this on cast at Standard Tap in Philly a little while ago.

A: Pours a black body with a frothy, tan head with ok retention and lacing until the finish.

S: Kind of a sweet, malt smell with some roasted notes. Decent smelling beer overall.

T: A roasted, malt taste with a slightly roasted barley taste. Nice roasted notes was pretty nice.

M: A fairly smooth and light mouthfeel that was pretty typical of an American stout. Ok overall, but nothing overly impressive.

D: An ok mouthfeel and taste combination overall, but nothing overly impressive. Pretty good beer overall, but did not really blow me out of the water.

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%

I'm impressed more and more with Yards with each beer I have from them. This is a new one for me though, so hopefully it lives up to my opinion of the brewery's quality.

APPEARANCE: Pours into an English-style nonic almost completely black with a healthy, light brown head on top that is one-finger high. It gradually shrinks down to a nearly full cap of foam. Abstract lacing patterns mark my progress down the glass.

SMELL: Full of a thick roast character that borders on burnt char. That in combination with a slightly buttery and fruity element from the yeast gives this the feel of a robust porter (which makes sense since the styles are very similar). Rich, deep caramel are highlighted much more than any chocolate component and give the beer a slight sweetness to balance out any acridity of the black malt.

TASTE: Really similar to the aroma with the heavy roast character being at the forefront. Any substantial sweetness of the malt can't quite measure up to the drying bitterness this beer carries. The fermentation is obviously English, again as in the smell. It has some buttery notes adding another dimension though it seems slightly overdone.

MOUTHFEEL: Low carbonation and a medium body seem spot on for the style.

DRINKABILITY: Drinkability is something that English-style beers definitely have going for them, and Love Stout is no different. 5% ABV is reasonable, and several bottles of this brew are just as reasonable.

Not too shabby. Even if you don't like the beer, you can't argue that this isn't true to style. As for me, I'll be enjoying the one I have and perhaps seeking out a few more to enjoy down the line. The bottom line is that Yards makes good, exciting beer.

2.96/5  rDev -22.1%

A 12 ounce bottle purchased to-go from the Craft Ale House for around $2. Poured into my nonic Imperial pint glass. Appears a dark brown color akin to cola with a fizzy, quickly dissipating head to match. The nose is greeted with notes of sweet molasses, chocolate, and medium roasted grains. Aroma is the best thing this stout has going for it. Tastes of watered down mildly roasted grains, bitter cocoa, maybe some very watery weak coffee. Has a seltzer water aftertaste. A bit thin bodied with medium to moderate carbonation.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

I first tried Yards Love Stout years ago on my first visit to Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia. I think I ordered the beer because it was cheap and local. The bartender poured the beer and then put the bottle down in front of me. I read on the label, to my amazement, that this was brewed with oysters! I had never heard of such a crazy thing before, and I was really pleased with the beer too. (I swear I thought I could taste something different about the beer...something fishy) There was really something about that beer which got me hooked, and I came back for more. Then, all of a sudden, it was gone. Until about a year ago, that is. I was pretty happy to see it back on the shelf, and I instantly bought a case. However, I find out that it is not brewed with oysters anymore. When I tasted it this time, I found it to be a standard, decent stout, but lacking its original pizazz. After going through the better part of a case, I am over the whole recipe change. This holds up pretty well.

Poured into a pint glass. No freshness date on the bottle. The bottle reads: "Straight from the heart of the City of Brotherly Love comes a dark and chocolatey seductive little stout dominated by roasted malt flavor. This is one Philly favorite that won't break your heart and will always love you back. Alc. 4.5% by Vol."

A: It pours with a medium sized tan head that crackles away slowly but surely, leaving nothing after about a half a glass. The black body looks fine with brown edges, yet this is at best a standard look for this style. The head needed to be thicker and more compact. There was little to no lacing on the glass.

S: A fantastic smell! Burnt grains, charcoal and a molasses sweetness are all dominant. There is no hop aroma as far as I can detect. What is there in the background is subtle fruit notes. I first get the smell of dates and figs. Then as the beer warms up, banana chips.

T: Acrid roasted flavor stands out most, supported by a juicy, fruity malt sweetness. There is sweetness up front, and in my opinion, more sweetness than the style calls for. Light burnt toast flavor on the exhale. Surprisingly, and to the beer's credit, there is not much that I would characterize as coffee-ish. Maybe some milk chocolate flavor, but that is stretching. Mostly this beer is dominated by deeply roasted grains.

M: Medium to light bodied, which is on target here. The carbonation is fine, and adds some prickliness where I don't think there should be any. It is not English stout smooth.

D: A strong point of this beer. Good drinkability, low alcohol, good for cooking with. I went through a case with ease, despite my disappointment about the lack of oysters. Yards! Bring the oyster stout back! I would think that trying this beer on cask would be excellent, and I am going to seek that out.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

On cask at Johnny Brenda's on 3/7/09 during Philly Beer Week.

A - Oily black body with deep garnet highlights and one-finger creamy cap of smooth head that settled into a quarter inch of retention and a good deal of sticky lacing.

S - Dark roasted malt with hints of chocolate, some coffee and subtle vanilla notes. A mild nutty astringency and alcohol waft appears in the back.

T - Sweet lactose with chocolate and vanilla notes up front, followed by dark roast and subtle coffee in the middle. Finishes with a hint of earthy hop bitterness.

M - Medium body with a nice smooth and creamy cask mouthfeel and soft texture. Bittersweet finish on the palate.

D - Best Yards offering I've had to date. This is an excellent example of how a stout can really come to life with cask conditioning. Very nicely done and one of my stand-outs from Philly Beer Week.

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I don't hand out these numbers freely. This batch is higher alcohol than before, so I'm told by the brewer.
No complaints here.
Pours black. Aromas of smooth roasted malts, slight chocolate. Very even and mellow. Flavor begins with malts. Mellow. Simple. Some hints of chocolate. Slightly sweet. Molasas in the background. No alcohol presence. End is slightly dry with little to no bitterness. Smooth in the mouth. Medium body brew. Drinkability? I had 4 over 4 hours. Its a wonderful easy drinking stout with a mellow array of flavors that say "Yes, I'll have another" Great cask beer.

3.21/5  rDev -15.5%

A - Pours 2 fingers of thick tan head that has great retention and leaves a little bit of clinging lace. The beer is an opaque black.

S - Has a big sweet malt aroma, as well as coffee and some chocolate.

M - A light-medium bodied beer with a pretty high amount of carbonation for a stout.

T - The sweet malts hit first but then are overpowered by a sour astringent taste. The sour taste then fades to a slightly bitter chocolate.

Very different for a stout, although I thought the sour taste was a little overpowering and overshadowed a lot of the other flavors in this beer.

3.01/5  rDev -20.8%

Beautiful pour from 12 oz bottle. Deep brown/black color w/two finger brown head.

Smell was sweet and nutty... like a peanut chew candy bar. Hint of roasted coffee, too.

Taste was odd - what's up with the citrus? Did maintain some nuttiness, with an ever-so-slight hint of black licorice and coffee.

Did not enjoy the watery and tangy mouthfeel - did not feel this represented a stout too well... but maybe I'm just too used to American and RIS styles.

Wasn't bad, but relative to other stouts, this one ranked low on the drinkability meter for me. I had this one on draught the other week, and it seemed much different - richer, more stout-like... was not in a position to review though.

2.66/5  rDev -30%

Bought this on a whim in a mixed-six. I never knew Yard's made this brew and was immediately reeled in by the labeling and intrigued by the description.

I do consider myself a solid stout fan, but this is a tough beer to drink.

It has a unique aroma that first reminded me of a smoked sausage. Definitely has the roasted coffee-like finish typical to most stouts.

All-in-all, I'd say that this is the Carmen Electra of beers...nice look, questionable taste.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Love Stout from Yards Brewing Co.