Love Stout - Yards Brewing Co.

Love StoutLove Stout

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Stout |  5.00% ABV

Our brewers have poured their hearts and roasted malted into this rich, slightly sweet stout. Luscious notes of coffee and chocolate accent the smooth, creamy, mouth feel. We will not apologize for any amorous affairs resulting from the consumption of this beverage.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 05-16-2002)
3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a black color with a very thin tan colored head. The head did not last long at all. The aroma is of roasted malt and some mild chocolate tones. The flavor follows the aroma as roasted malt, light chocolate, and some coffee tones are easily detectable. Very little bitterness with this.

The mouthfeel is somewhat thin for a stout and is dry on the tongue. The roasted tones and dryness last on the tongue after swallowing. Drinkable, but there are some more flavorful and thicker stouts out there.

Gavage, Mar 10, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours dark with a small head that hangs around to lace the glass. Smells of toasted grains. Has a kind of bite, but I like it, along with the yeast and dryness. Some hop flavor, but more smokey with the smallest hint of saltiness, maybe from the oysters. Overall a pleasant brew. I drink it regularly, and will continue to do so.

thefireman, Mar 10, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color was a very dark brown, with a filmy white head. The smell was a drier malt. The taste was quite dry, with the oysters almost adding a lactose bitterness to it. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, could have quite a few of these.

A good stout offering from Yards, a brewery which may be the most underrated in PA. A treat for those who like the dry stout character, and certainly one that I would have again!

beergeek279, Mar 04, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -5%

poured a deep dark black with few brownish ruby highlights observable when held to the light. creamy tan head the lasted the whole glass...superb retention. full aroma of dry dark roasted barley. over-carbonation yields a slightly thinnish mouthfeel, too spritzy for stout. dry roasted flavor, slightly acidic and yeasty. hops are there for balance and not a whole lot more. i found this brew more appetizing to look at and smell than to actually drink. still, not a bad stab at the dry stout style and definitely worth a shot.

pheurton, Feb 11, 2004

I pour this chilled brew into a pint glass. Intensely dark brew! No light coming through at all. Tan frothy, head foams up to about 1 cm and fades quickly.
Aroma has rich chocolate and also mild coffee scents. Closing my eyes and sniffing almost makes me think it is cold hot chocolate. No hop presence on the nose.
Very smooth mouthfeel, mild carbonation and fairly good thickness. The beer is slightly chocolately sweet up front, similar middle, and finishes roasty malt mixed with coffee bitter.
After the swallow I feel like I may have drank weak coffee instead of a tasty beer.
Overall this is a very nice stout. Not very complex but drinkable and a good mix of the nice flavors that are present.

sulldaddy, Jan 04, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one pours a very dark brown, with a reddish tint to it. Thick tan head that went down pretty quickly. Fairly decent chocolate and coffe aroma, with some malt sweetness also. Medium bodied, and fairly smooth taste. Chocolate and coffe flavors, with some roastiness. A hint of bitterness in the aftertaste. Maybe the oysters add calcium, but I'm sure glad I didn't taste any in there. Just what we don't need: fishy beer. Good, but nothing special.

Boto, Dec 11, 2003
3.78/5  rDev -1%

The last of my BIF 4.0 beers. Storm King and Flying Fish Dubbel being the others. I assume that this is called Love Stout because of the oysters that are used in brewing this. If I'm wrong, will someone please correct me. I'll tell ya, I've been enticed by this brew for a while. Was lookin' for a good day to have it. Winter storm raging outside, ok, not a New England winter storm, but still, seems like a good day for a stout.

This pours a dark brown, almost black, with a tan head. Decent lacing. Almost opaque. It was rather difficult getting any light through it to see the actual shade. Smells wonderful. Nice roasted aroma. Some seem to peek out. Definately some chocolate. I think I'm gonna love this. Oh man, I'm not even sure how to describe this. Odd flavors going on here. Not bad, just a wierd mix. A light hops bite right at the front, mixing with what I assume are the oysters. Not quite what I was expecting, but they make a bold statement. Fading from that into a bitter chocolate and espresso roasted malt. Interesting aftertaste. Not as good as it smells, but not bad either. Full bodied but dry. Cloying even. Viscous. Clings to everything, leaving you wanting another drink. I don't think I'll be seeking this out with fervor, like I'm going to be doing with one particular BIF brew I got, but if this is ever available in my area, I would probably pick up a sixer every now and then. Not a bad brew, just not an every day brew. It smells so good, I could just sit here and smell the rest of it.

Nytemare, Dec 10, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Love Stout pours jet black, but not entirely opaque. It has a thin whitish head that remains over the beer over time. Smell is a bit like chestnut or other roasted smell, and rather faint. Start is smooth, clean, heavy. The brew is full-bodied with slight caramel, and heavy chocolate and coffee flavors. Finish is also very smooth and rich, almost like a creme.Overall this stout feels very dry, smooth, and heavy on the tongue, throat, and stomach. Love Stout leaves the mouth parched and seeking more liquid (not a bad way to sell more beer, I must admit). A good stout, to be sure, and definately one I'll be looking for in the future.

theozag, Nov 23, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

I mentioned in a previous review that I feel that Seirra Nevada's Pale Ale is the standard to measure other PA's by. Not amazing, not wrestched, just something that I feel is good irregardsless, and I use for a measuring stick. Well Yards love is my stout version of that.

Pours that thick brown almost black color, some head for a good bit of show, and it lasts a while. Nice lacings after the head retention.

Smells like a mix of chocolate and hints of coffee

When you 1st taste it the roasted barley shines through, and stays the way throught the drink. it has a nice mocca undertones that complements the roasted flavor. When I have it in my mouth, it feels like a stout should, but light enough to keep going the distance.

I know some peaople have issues with conscistency of this brew, but to me it is always a delight

PSUDREW, Nov 15, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I cheated a bit before trying this one in that it was talked about in our local paper. Yard's is in the process of brewing this year's batch. The beer is almost black so much so that light doesn't go through it. The head is a rich brown with really lasting lacing as with most stouts.

There is an off aroma to the beer. The predominant smell is coffee but the off aroma is strong. I discovered that this beer is brewed with some whole raw oysters added to the kettle. I think that is the smell I'm getting but it could be that the knowledge planted the smell.

The taste is less than some Imperial Stouts or Oatmeal Stouts. It is really heavy coffee with some caramel and that off-taste that I think is the oysters. By the way, I love raw oysters.

It feels great in the mouth. Very thick, very strong, almost a meal. The overall experience is less than I had wished because I was really pumped to try it after reading about it. It is a good beer but not a great one.

rdrummer, Oct 18, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

The beer is a deep, opaque black, unfiltered looking, topped with a thin misting of beige head. The head diminishes quickly, leaving a thick ring that maintains through the rest of the pint.
The aroma is very roasty, with some coffee, and just a hint of chocolate. Some fig and raisin, with a suggestion of cherry. Some yeast, and an odd aroma that I can't place. sweetish and wierd, with a kind of nutty, earthy aroma. Not a hops earthiness, but earthy in a way that evokes an image of the dry, sandy kind of earth, with patchy, rough grass you find near coniferous growths of trees. I can't explain it.
The flavor starts with light roasted barley and some coffee, with a slight chocolatey taste towards the middle. Some chalkiness at first. A bit of raisin and fig in the middle, with a mocha coffee flavor. The finish is dry and somewhat sour, with an odd sandy sort of flavor. The roasted coffee flavor lingers through, with some light piney, herbal hopping way in the back. Some sweet malt, with a hint of caramel at the very end, with a lingering dark roasty coffee flavor in the aftertaste. Some of that strange flavor lingers, as well. It's not a bad flavor, just odd and unfamiliar.
A very pleasant stout, with excellent maltiness. The flavor seems a little weak at first, but gains speed quickly, finishing rich and complex.

UnionMade, Oct 08, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Thick syrupy pour wiht an extremely creamy beige head. The aroma is heavily smoky with hints of chocolate malt. The flavors build on the aroma with a predominant smoked malty flavor paired with a bit of chocolate and toffee notes. A heavier bitterness flows throughout the brew. A harsh carbonation takes away from the whole of the experience, but overall a boldly flavorful ale.

beernut7, Sep 28, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured a dark color with chestnut edges. It had quite a mocha colored head, with big pocky foam falling to a slender but attractive sheen. Also had little quick lacing and some random staining. Nose was very roasty, of dark wood, chestnuts, but with a strange turn to it. Not that appealing.

Taste was black malt bitter, a dark earthy bitter, held up by some deeply dark malt behind it all. Had moderate but present roast flavors, strong fruity notes as well, with a surprising brightness and assertiveness to it; but they were only quick notes. Long finish was lightly dry but with quiet espresso-like bitter fruits, but of course less powerful than actual espresso. Good complexity to it for a regular not imperial stout. A bit watery mouthfeel this beer was good but uneven, and though complex it was not inviting. Regardless, if its on tap this fall I'll order it.

nomad, Aug 21, 2003

It looks exactly what I whought it would look like, black in color with a tan head. Everything else was a complete surprise to me. The aroma is roasted chocolate with a hint of cardimom seed. I sensed some alcohol in the aroma as well which seems a bit odd since this wasn't really a big beer. The taste is roasty and chocolately with some coffee taste. Not very sweet at all. I was expecting a beer called love stout as being sweet and it's listed under milk stout on this site. Not a bad thing, just not what I expected. This seems to have the characteristics of an imperial stout, but with a lower alchohol content.

dmarch, Jul 03, 2003
3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Real nice pour,a ink black color with nice big,sticky,rocky head.The aroma is slightly medicinal and chocolaty.Taste is like milk chocolate and creamy,with some slight burnt notes.A real nice brew Iam glad I got it.I wanna try this on tap sometime,will look for it next winter.

oberon, Jun 30, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer poured a very dark brown, almost black color. The large head was a creamy tan. There is faint hints of roasted malt, chocolate/cocoa and fermented fruits. The flavor is similar with an added pumpernickel breadiness to it. Flavors enhance as the beer warms up. Finishes very dry and peppery. There's a detectable alcohol presence. Also - there is something unique to this stout – maybe it’s the fact that oysters are added directly to the boil. I don't know what it is, but this beer has a distinct and unique flavor.

pezoids, Jun 09, 2003
3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

Right away this beer pissed me off by giving me too much head.....pouring 2/3 head and 1/3 beer...it took me 2-or-3 minutes to get her to just back off on the head and just lay there nicely.......Once I got her into the tasting vessel she sat nicely with a perfect light brown mane of about a 1/4 inch resting atop a magnificent black beer....not a real strong smell....some cocoa and that's about it.....

A nice body on this one....not a real petite little thing by any means (which is usually my type)...This one is a full figured dynamo I'm not sure I can handle....As I taste her I am slightly let down....but only for an instance....I realize this isn't that airbrushed beauty on the Guiness poster...instead this is a real, live stout....no airbrushing to hide the imperfections....Yes it has a nice burnt malt flavor and is very creamy but wasn't this supposed to be a Sweet Stout....Doesn't seem to match up to that Mackesons I saw in the centerfold...But maybe I am holding this one up to too high of standards...maybe I should except her for who she is ....a very nice looking and tasting stout that would be a nice stout to take out again(drinkability) and even bring home to mom....Still, she is not one of the hottest Stout's I've seen.....Not a bad first date though....we almost made a "Love" connection....

ZAP, May 27, 2003
3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

This is an interesting brew. The first impression from the nose leads you to believe that you have stumbled upon a sweet stout. However, the taste is very complex. There are sweet notes, but also very rich and dry tastes that impart a dry or imperial stout. The hops are hard to pinpoint. There is so much dark malt that the hops do not really shine through. This beer is brewed with oysters in the brewkettle to add a mineral component. That seems to be what balances out the sweet, milk stout characteristics. This stout is by far, the most unique stout I have ever had the opportunity to taste. As you move towards the middle of the beer you are almost certain that you are drinking an imperial stout with a very balanced and deep, rich flavor. At 5% alcohol, this is an impressive stout in today's culture of high octane imperials. By the end of the beer the sweetness is all but gone. I will definately check this out again.

Maestro, Apr 15, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a dark black color with a toffee colored edging. There is virtually no head. The aroma is caramalized sugar that is just a bit burnt, a bit of bourbonesque alcohol notes, and some roasted malt sweetness. A hint of chocolate slides in as well. The taste is sweet roasted malt, dark chocolate, and a bit of espresso on the finish. Just enough bitterness is present to clean up the sweetness between drinks. The mouthfeel is smooth, but a bit lacking in the carbonation. Drinkability is excellent, as this beer goes down way too easy. I'll definitely pick up some more of these in the future.

aaronh, Apr 02, 2003
3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

A very good stout, Yard's is producing some very fine beers of late. The brew taps out a very deep, rich black. The smell is amazing with hints of roasted malt. The texture is smooth and sumptuous, but not heavy and viscous. This is a stout to try, if you can find it.

Prost!

goindownsouth, Mar 30, 2003
3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured a typical dark black stout color with 2 finger tan head. Head hangs tough for about 3-4 minutes and fades into a thin film. Nose exploded with coffee and cream, roasted barley and chocolate. Very full and nice aroma, probably the beers best quality.

Taste was sharp coffee bitterness at the start with smooth milky sweetness following. Slightly slick bittersweet chocolate flavor backs everything up. The mouthfeel is oily, but rather light. Not very much weight from the mouthfeel perspective, rather thin. Finishes bittersweet and quick. Overall a descent stout. The body could be better. Complexity could be a bit better as well. The aroma of this beer is what really shines, everything else is just above average.

bmills1608, Feb 25, 2003
3.63/5  rDev -5%

She looks good out of the bottle with a black body and a pretty big topping of tan foam. The aroma is interesting, but it is a little toned down for me. It has a burst of cappuccino, kind of like a frappuccino. There is a nice roasty character of malts, and there is also chocolate in the nose.

The body of this is a bit thin. It is nice and smooth, and has a creamy feel to it. Cappuccino leads the way in the flavor category. The chocolate is there, but not in a large amount. The dark roasted malts are great, and they come in really nice as this one slides back, providing a good aftertaste.

Well, I did not love this one. It was a decent stout, but it was thin and didn't have enough flavor for me. I have heard that this will make a person cry on cask, so I will have to pay a few buddies a visit in Philly.

ElGuapo, Feb 19, 2003
3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

Black in color with a thick, dark tan head. Aroma is lightly roasty, somewhat salty with a bitter chocolate undertone. First impression I got was of the beer’s being a bit thin. Malt-dominated, with a fairly nice roasty character and a decently bitter finish, and some prune-like fruit notes developing mid-palate. Aftertaste is quite nice, but still the flavor profile is a bit one-dimensional. Drinkable, but not very memorable.

mzwolinski, Feb 12, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

My girlfriend has become a big fan of this stout since i brought a case back to school. Has a bittersweet chocolate taste. Light carbonation and thinner than expected body. Aroma is that of coffee and chocolates. I liked this brew but for the same style I think sam adams cream stout is a little better.

allboutbierge, Jan 14, 2003
3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

I had no idea what to expect from an oyster stout. Luckily there isn't any noticeable seafood flavour...

Pours out black with brownish edges and a very thin dark tan head. Nose is coffee, a little chocolate. The flavours here are dominated by the coffee characteristics and a quite strong bitterness. What I found curious (and a little offputting) was a slight sour note towards the end of the mouthful. Finishes again with the bitterness. Smooth over the tongue, carbonation is quite low (this is bottle conditioned), and kind of a thin or light feel also shows itself. Good, but that sour note (must be the oysters...?) makes me think that it's not for constant quaffing.

the42ndtourist, Jan 12, 2003
Love Stout from Yards Brewing Co.