Philadelphia Pale Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale

good

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

Not to be boastful, but we honestly believe all others pale in comparison to this one. Crisp and hoppy, Philadelphia Pale Ale is brewed with Pilsner malt and American hops, which impart a surprising citrus aroma.
1.9/5  rDev -48.4%

I have had this beer before and enjoyed it, but there must have been something wrong with the cask this time. It must not have conditioned properly. There was hardly any carbonation or head and it tasted stale and bitter. It could have been old. I know casks don't last long once they're tapped.
Yards is one of my favorite brewers, but something went wrong here. I will have to give this one a second chance. (411 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -48.1%

This beer was not impressive to me. I enjoy other beers from Yards but am left in the dark as to why this beer continues to be propagated. This straw colored pale ale has an aroma that reminds me of the most horrible lagers served in plastic cups during my freshmen year of college. The head is thin and the overall appearance is cloudy. The taste is quite sour with a lot of yeast presence. There is also a faint cidery taste as you make your way through the beer. The carbonation is light and the taste is that of a bitter lager. I bought this in an otherwise great variety case with three other great beers. Now I have a six pack of this crap to deal with. Not again. (670 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -47.8%

Tried this during a recent (and first-time) trip to Philly. It was drinkable, but barely. The smell was so stale. It smelled like a brew pub after the weekend.. very funky and musty. I'm so used to "fresh" APA's that I just could not stomach this one. I would not recommend this to anyone, nor would I try it again. (315 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -47.3%

Had this one on tap at the Standard Tap in Philly. Pours a hazy light yellow with a thin head. A tiny bit of lacing. Disturbing fruity cat urine scent, with just a hint of circus peanut and pine. Nightmarish bready watery flavor. Non-descript mouthfeel and long finish. (269 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -45.9%

Smells like pine, yellow- orange small head and generally very little lacing. Tastes like pine, pine and hops not much else. I theres much better yards out there, and much better `` summer beers`` for that matter. I wouldn`t consider the drinkability high. However if youve ever wanted to drink a pine tree, this is it. (319 characters)

Not sure how old this bottle is, its been sitting on the shelves at my job for a while now. Pours a brilliant gold color with really good clarity and a monstrous clingy head. Initially smelt some skunk and then very subtle hints of oily hops. Nothing impressive on the nose.

Some tropical fruit tastes are the star of the show even though their subtle. Has a pleasant sweetness on the tip of the tongue. Finishes with a mild floral hop presense that goes pairs well with the fruit flavors in the beer. Tastes are all very mild though.

The drinkability is quite amazing. Super smooth, super clean, good carbonation and light in body. Would be good as a mild summer session beer.

Well balanced and flavor beer but nothing spectacular. (736 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -42.4%

A - Pours a a pale yellow or straw color. Thin head, decent lacing, lots of carbonation. Tons of suspended sediment. I'm guessing it's yeast. I would like to think that I roused up some yeast from the bottom of a bottle conditioned bottle, but I have serious doubts.

S - Slightest bit of lemon but otherwise not much aroma.

T - Very watery and bitter. I wouldn't label it a hoppy beer, but the lack of hop flavor and/or malt flavor just leaves it bitter. Bitterness leads to a very astringent flavor.

M - Thin

D - This isn't my favorite nor would I seek again. Possibly a bad bottle and the significant number of "floaties" leads me to believe this is so. (659 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -38.6%

Slightly hazy amber liquid is topped by a moderate but rather long-lasting head of off white foam. The aroma is nothing special, with just a typical "beer" smell. No hops at all in the nose. The taste is rather bitter up front with basically nothing behind it at all. Very clean finish, but there is no malt body to speak of, no sweetness, just strong piney bitterness. I actually find it hard to drink because it's just not that enjoyable. This beer is like drining a macro with a bunch of hops dumped in early in the boil and a slightly restrained carbonation. I'd take a Rolling Rock over this any day. Yard's is sort of hit or miss in my experience. This one's like bombing your own troops. (694 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -38%

Another bottle-conditioned nightmare. I don't know whether to hold the brewery or the liquor store at fault, but common sense points to improper warm-storage at the package store. This one was a gusher with a hazy golden pour once the head settles off. The aroma is yeasty with notes of ginger-ale and lightly sweet. The flavors of licorice and ginger poke through a heavy bitterness. The body is fairly smooth for such a gushing head. The yeast comes through in a bisuity finish. I'll have to travel down to the brewery to get some fresh brew and give it another try. (568 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -36.7%

Nice thick creamy head, which was the high spot for this beer. Citrus taste and aftertaste I didn't enjoy. Color was decent. smell was a little off, but not overpowering. I will not buy this beer again. Even in the summer, not really refreshing to me. I was done after one , didn't want a second one. (300 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: cloudy, almost murky, golden yellow with a think white head with staying power. Lots of cold haze - I can see suspended particles throughout.

Smell: The bottle claims heavy citrus aromas and that is definitely not a stretch. This beer has one of the strongest citrus aromas I've experienced.

Taste: Again, the citrus overwhelms. In fact, there isn't much else here. Front, middle and finish scream citrusy American hops. It left a somewhat unpleasant bittery taste that lasts. If the carbonation were removed, this could probably be compared to lemon water. Wow...never experienced a beer with this taste.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat thin, good carbonation.

Drinkability: There's no way I could have more than one of these at a sitting.

I was not expecting this much of a citrusy/bittery wallop. I enjoy stretching my taste comfort zone, but this is just a bit too much for me. I think if there weren't such a strong bitter aftertaste, my thoughts would be much different. There needs to be more overall balance in my opinion.

UPDATE: I just read most of the other reviews. I have to wonder if the bottle I had was contaminated. Such a different experience than everyone else. (1,245 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -29.1%

Appears slightly hazed copper with a mountainous frothy head, all I can say is welcom to Starbucks sir. Broad rings of thick lacing line the pint glass throughout the pour. Aroma has delicate floral hops with some mild fruit tones gracing my senses all under a mellow malt sweetness. Taste is a bit mild all of the flavors are tame except for the hops they came through creating unbalanced harshness there is some residual caramel tones in the malt profile. Mouthfeel has some syrup like textures but still a bit thin especially for a cask. Low carbonation very smooth making drinkability effortless not bad just not as good as I was hoping. (641 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -28%

The beer poured a honey color with a tall white head. The smell was of citrus and floral notes. A little bit sweet smelling. The taste is mostly grainy with an astringent citrus flavor. Something lingers in the finish that I just don't like. Just an off taste in my opinion. Too much carbonation also. Not horrible at all, but there is just something I can't quite explain going on that turns me off from wanting another. (421 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -27.4%

On-tap in a pint glass, have not had this one in years, let's see what's what.

A- A straw yellow color maybe just a shade darker than your average american macro. A good standing white cap stayed on top leaving good looking lace.

S- Well, not much going on here except for a bunch of pale malts. Some bitter hops in here as well plus a off stale grassy smell which is unpleasent.

T- Follows the nose with malts overtaking the hops but all in all a good balance, too bad the flavors don't meld well together. A big grassy flavor is coming through as well as a small skunky flavor.

M- Philly pale is a light bodied brew that would be more refreshing if the taste was better. A lot of carbonation in this one with a fizzy feel in the mouth.

D- Maybe it was a good move taking a break from this one for a while. Odd, I used to really enjoy this years ago, maybe my taste have matured or this is just a result of yards moving their brewing facilities. (951 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

Bright hazy yellow with a full pillowy white head when poured very slowly from the get-go (I've learned my lesson with Yards' troubled bottles). Very active overcarbonation evident. Strong/intense flowery, strong perfumey, and light citrusy hop aroma and signs of infection/oxidation but more bearable than the other Yards' brews I've tried. Tastes much like it smells but not as intense. No malt character to speak of. Light airy overly carbonated body/mouthfeel.

As in true Yards fashion, taste fresh ... I can't seem to get it fast enough.

Best Before: '04/25/06' lasered on neck
Tasted: 03/28/05

($1.43 / 12 oz.) (626 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

This beer poured a dark yellow color. The head was minimal, and was gone almost immediately. There was Zero lacing. Minimal aroma. What was there was a faint maltiness and citrus hops. The taste was OK, if a bit bland. Some bitterness, with even less malts. Boring! (265 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had picked up a six pack real quick for a get together.

A. Nice dark gold with a small off white head. Lacing was nice.

S. Smell was slightly yeasty with some hints of citrus. Nothing was too strong, almost nonexistent just about.

T. Taste was also pretty bland. Again like the aroma, the taste was yeast with a kick of citrus. The yeast was more prominent. The citrus flavor was minimal and bit your taste buds late.

M. The feel was not too full, on the lighter side of things. The lack of fullness did not coat the palate.

O. Overall the beer is not bad. I maybe would get it again, but I will
need to be I a jam to do that (635 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -20.9%

This brew pours a golden honey yellow color with a 1.5 finger head and no lacing. Medium carbonation.

The smell is of floral hops, orange a little bit of grass and a little bit of sweet malt.

The taste was as expected, orange and floral hops combined with sweet malts.

The mouthfeel was creamy, clean and crisp.

Overall I was not impressed by this brew. It is a standard American Pale Ale but not a memorable one; there are better examples of this style out there. On the plus side this brew will go down easy on a hot summer day. (534 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz bottle from Trader’s Joe. Pour pale straw with a long lasting white head. Aroma is of perfume hops, citrus fruit and biscuit malt with some hints of pairs. Body is medium and crisp. Piney, earthy hops, followed by biscuit malt on the palate, some sourness is present. The finish is medium and dry. This brew needs some caramel malt for color and flavor. (361 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -19.3%

12 ounce bottle poured into a "tulip" shaped Samuel Smith Imperial pint glass.

A - Extremely pale tranpsarent yellow color with a tiny white head. Looks more like a blonde ale or even a macro lager.

S - Subdued hop aromas with tiny malt smells.

T - Extremely clean, basically lacking any real distinct flavor.

M - Thin and light in body. Good for a session brew perhaps.

D - Could be good for a six pack on a hot day but no really great characteristics that make it an exremely drinkable beer. (508 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19%

A: Straw color with a big head that disappears slowly. Head sticks the sides of the glass. I like that.
S: Citrus smell followed by pine.
T: Very grapefruit and refreshing.
M: Somewhat hoppy feel, stays with you for a while.
D: Better summertime beer, drank this in March. Very clean.

Not a grapefruit eater, so the beer did not appeal to me. But could see many followers of the beer. (385 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19%

a- bottle poured into a pint, one finger head that vanished quickly leaving a nice layer of lacing a mix of large and small bubbles, lace sticks around a long while, load of carbonation, pale yellow color.

s- bitter grapefruit, lemon, very floral, sweet, not sure i've ever smelled an apa like this.

t- odd for an apa, very crisp, crackers, biscuit, no real malt profile that i could pick up, tangy hops, finishes very dry, not very balanced for an apa.

m- little on the thin side, good bit of carbonation, lingering bitterness.

d- for me it's just ok, when i grab an apa i want a nice balance between malt and hops and this didn't deliver, in all fairness on the label they call this a 'non traditional style', this just didn't hit the spot for me unfortunately. (767 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19%

On tap at the philly airport between terminal B&C

A-This bubbly head, golden light color, hazy, decent retention a little lace

S-Big hoppy green and floral kind of medicinal floral like a stargazer lilly aroma but there is also BO scent there (no really...BO)

T-Big hoppy pine, green and lots of floral . Some malt is quickly pushed back by the floral hops

M-Ligth and fizzy nt a lot there

D-I could only have one of these

Overall-I don't know if this keg was bad or what, but it was quite odd, not like any APA I'v had. (538 characters)

This beer pours a slightly dark yellow color with a huge fluffy white head. There are copious amounts of yeast/sediment in the bottom; I had to leave about an inch left in the bottle to keep my pint clean. It smells of light hops and oddly (for a PA) of yeast. I think they could have left off with the bottle conditioning, and the CO2 level is too high anyway with the large and annoying head. Taste is very dissapointing. Thin and smooth with a strange phenolic bite and minimal hopping. Even the malt seems to be missing. Thin mouth, not tasty enough to have a high drinkability. Very uncharacteristic beer from this otherwise good brewery. (643 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -17.9%

Had this one on tap, it pours an orange-yellow with a small white head.
It smells of citrus and hops with a little bit of pine and floral scent snuck in there as well.
Things take a downturn when the beer hits your mouth. The citrus flavors, particularly grapefruit and lemon, are almost overwhelming, although gradually some grassy tastes come through as well. Somewhat sweet and hoppy with a bitter finish, more like an IPA.
The mouthfeel is thin and very clean; I think this could be refreshing on a hot day.
Drinkability: I've tried this one three times at various bars, and each time, I have only wanted one pint before remembering I don't really dig it and moving on to something else. There are some nice notes in it, but the flavor leaves me desiring a little less grapefruit and a little more of something, anything, else. (838 characters)

Philadelphia Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.