Philadelphia Pale Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale

good

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.30% ABV

Not to be boastful, but we honestly believe all others pale in comparison to this one. Crisp and hoppy, Philadelphia Pale Ale is brewed with Pilsner malt and American hops, which impart a surprising citrus aroma.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

1.75/5  rDev -52.6%

01-18-2013 17:37:21 | More by theaceofspaeder
pezoids

1.9/5  rDev -48.5%

I have had this beer before and enjoyed it, but there must have been something wrong with the cask this time. It must not have conditioned properly. There was hardly any carbonation or head and it tasted stale and bitter. It could have been old. I know casks don't last long once they're tapped.
Yards is one of my favorite brewers, but something went wrong here. I will have to give this one a second chance.

Serving type: cask

02-22-2003 12:37:10 | More by pezoids
Maestro

1.93/5  rDev -47.7%

This beer was not impressive to me. I enjoy other beers from Yards but am left in the dark as to why this beer continues to be propagated. This straw colored pale ale has an aroma that reminds me of the most horrible lagers served in plastic cups during my freshmen year of college. The head is thin and the overall appearance is cloudy. The taste is quite sour with a lot of yeast presence. There is also a faint cidery taste as you make your way through the beer. The carbonation is light and the taste is that of a bitter lager. I bought this in an otherwise great variety case with three other great beers. Now I have a six pack of this crap to deal with. Not again.

04-15-2003 19:59:41 | More by Maestro
callmeclemens

1.95/5  rDev -47.2%

Smells like pine, yellow- orange small head and generally very little lacing. Tastes like pine, pine and hops not much else. I theres much better yards out there, and much better `` summer beers`` for that matter. I wouldn`t consider the drinkability high. However if youve ever wanted to drink a pine tree, this is it.

08-24-2010 22:35:25 | More by callmeclemens
Beertarded

1.95/5  rDev -47.2%

Had this one on tap at the Standard Tap in Philly. Pours a hazy light yellow with a thin head. A tiny bit of lacing. Disturbing fruity cat urine scent, with just a hint of circus peanut and pine. Nightmarish bready watery flavor. Non-descript mouthfeel and long finish.

08-09-2011 18:18:35 | More by Beertarded
alysmith4

District of Columbia

1.95/5  rDev -47.2%

Tried this during a recent (and first-time) trip to Philly. It was drinkable, but barely. The smell was so stale. It smelled like a brew pub after the weekend.. very funky and musty. I'm so used to "fresh" APA's that I just could not stomach this one. I would not recommend this to anyone, nor would I try it again.

04-07-2008 04:09:43 | More by alysmith4
jtierney89

Not sure how old this bottle is, its been sitting on the shelves at my job for a while now. Pours a brilliant gold color with really good clarity and a monstrous clingy head. Initially smelt some skunk and then very subtle hints of oily hops. Nothing impressive on the nose.

Some tropical fruit tastes are the star of the show even though their subtle. Has a pleasant sweetness on the tip of the tongue. Finishes with a mild floral hop presense that goes pairs well with the fruit flavors in the beer. Tastes are all very mild though.

The drinkability is quite amazing. Super smooth, super clean, good carbonation and light in body. Would be good as a mild summer session beer.

Well balanced and flavor beer but nothing spectacular.

11-09-2011 01:20:40 | More by jtierney89
Cbrazbox

12-08-2012 01:25:23 | More by Cbrazbox
tmars13

08-21-2012 04:18:16 | More by tmars13
PeterLemonjello

Alabama

2.1/5  rDev -43.1%

A - Pours a a pale yellow or straw color. Thin head, decent lacing, lots of carbonation. Tons of suspended sediment. I'm guessing it's yeast. I would like to think that I roused up some yeast from the bottom of a bottle conditioned bottle, but I have serious doubts.

S - Slightest bit of lemon but otherwise not much aroma.

T - Very watery and bitter. I wouldn't label it a hoppy beer, but the lack of hop flavor and/or malt flavor just leaves it bitter. Bitterness leads to a very astringent flavor.

M - Thin

D - This isn't my favorite nor would I seek again. Possibly a bad bottle and the significant number of "floaties" leads me to believe this is so.

01-05-2010 02:31:47 | More by PeterLemonjello
bundy462

2.15/5  rDev -41.7%

A: Pale yellow with a medium head, very average.

S: Grainy up front with some heavy floral hops, grapefruit, lemon, and orange. Almost ammonia-like smell that was a turn off. Very much like cat piss.

T: Heavy grapefruit and lemon taste, very floral hops. I was expecting more bite than was present. This isn't really my type of pale ale, too fruity for me. Strange aftertaste that tasted like cat piss smells.

M: Average.

O: Not very high marks here for me personally because I just couldn't get past the smell and taste.

I really thought that I got a bad batch of this beer because I know that Yards has a good reputation, but there were others at the bar drinking off of the same tap and loving it. Piss guzzlers.

05-28-2010 02:20:27 | More by bundy462
aaronh

2.23/5  rDev -39.6%

Slightly hazy amber liquid is topped by a moderate but rather long-lasting head of off white foam. The aroma is nothing special, with just a typical "beer" smell. No hops at all in the nose. The taste is rather bitter up front with basically nothing behind it at all. Very clean finish, but there is no malt body to speak of, no sweetness, just strong piney bitterness. I actually find it hard to drink because it's just not that enjoyable. This beer is like drining a macro with a bunch of hops dumped in early in the boil and a slightly restrained carbonation. I'd take a Rolling Rock over this any day. Yard's is sort of hit or miss in my experience. This one's like bombing your own troops.

07-28-2003 04:03:18 | More by aaronh
JLapadura

2.25/5  rDev -39%

08-08-2012 13:01:03 | More by JLapadura
beernut7

2.28/5  rDev -38.2%

Another bottle-conditioned nightmare. I don't know whether to hold the brewery or the liquor store at fault, but common sense points to improper warm-storage at the package store. This one was a gusher with a hazy golden pour once the head settles off. The aroma is yeasty with notes of ginger-ale and lightly sweet. The flavors of licorice and ginger poke through a heavy bitterness. The body is fairly smooth for such a gushing head. The yeast comes through in a bisuity finish. I'll have to travel down to the brewery to get some fresh brew and give it another try.

09-28-2003 16:26:46 | More by beernut7
jesster64

2.28/5  rDev -38.2%

Nice thick creamy head, which was the high spot for this beer. Citrus taste and aftertaste I didn't enjoy. Color was decent. smell was a little off, but not overpowering. I will not buy this beer again. Even in the summer, not really refreshing to me. I was done after one , didn't want a second one.

09-04-2013 13:49:31 | More by jesster64
psinderson

2.33/5  rDev -36.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: cloudy, almost murky, golden yellow with a think white head with staying power. Lots of cold haze - I can see suspended particles throughout.

Smell: The bottle claims heavy citrus aromas and that is definitely not a stretch. This beer has one of the strongest citrus aromas I've experienced.

Taste: Again, the citrus overwhelms. In fact, there isn't much else here. Front, middle and finish scream citrusy American hops. It left a somewhat unpleasant bittery taste that lasts. If the carbonation were removed, this could probably be compared to lemon water. Wow...never experienced a beer with this taste.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat thin, good carbonation.

Drinkability: There's no way I could have more than one of these at a sitting.

I was not expecting this much of a citrusy/bittery wallop. I enjoy stretching my taste comfort zone, but this is just a bit too much for me. I think if there weren't such a strong bitter aftertaste, my thoughts would be much different. There needs to be more overall balance in my opinion.

UPDATE: I just read most of the other reviews. I have to wonder if the bottle I had was contaminated. Such a different experience than everyone else.

08-24-2006 00:06:05 | More by psinderson

kjb32812

01-08-2012 02:26:28 | More by kjb32812
Tombomb

06-23-2014 01:01:49 | More by Tombomb
Philadelphia Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.