Philadelphia Pale Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale

good

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.30% ABV

Not to be boastful, but we honestly believe all others pale in comparison to this one. Crisp and hoppy, Philadelphia Pale Ale is brewed with Pilsner malt and American hops, which impart a surprising citrus aroma.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002)

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.1/5  rDev -16%

After moving out to Philadelphia (or what I tell everyone, since I'm right outside) I decided to scout some of the local beers. I came upon a twelve pack sampler from Yards, and decided I would blindly go into it. I had never heard of Yards, but it looked fairly distinguished from the other local brews. The sampler had four of their "signature ales", and I decided to go with the light, easy drinking Philadelphia Pale Ale. Here's my breakdown:

Served from bottle into tumbler pint

A - Light gold, crystal clear, with a light yellow-white bubbly head right off of pour. Slowly fizzles down to a creamier 1/4" head after a few minutes. Retention lasts through the entirety of consumption with little lacing left behind

S - Light, sweet aroma, with a dull hint of some citrus

T - Like the smell; a lightly sweet taste, with citrus notes to add a tangy finish

M - Very light-bodied, clean feel. Very smooth and drinkable

O - I think this is a good beer. Nothing that really jumps out at you, but something that would cater well on a hot summer day. I can see myself getting some of these for a nice barbeque outside, where I don't have to worry about them filling me up. The low ABV (4.6%) will allow for more consumption, too, which is always a plus!

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.45/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up as part of a mix a six, enjoyed chilled from a willybecker.

The color is light golden with amber hues and the cap is thick pale cream with tight bead. The smell is nice with some mild citrus zest and slight herbal hop aromas but light in the malt, The hops smell kind of grassy in a good way. The feel is light bodied for the style but crisp and moderately low in bitterness and semi-dry in the finish with no alcohol influence on the palate.

The flavor is gentle at first with some light cracker-like malt which I understand since I read the neck label is a pilsner based pale. The hops have a light citrus tinge with mild bitter herbal flavor, the finish is slightly peppery and dry. Overall I like this and it is good but doesn't really stand out as far as the style goes, but is refreshing and quaffable for a good summer pale and I enjoyed the low abv.

2.25/5  rDev -39%

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

Philadelphia Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.