Philadelphia Pale Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale

good

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.30% ABV

Not to be boastful, but we honestly believe all others pale in comparison to this one. Crisp and hoppy, Philadelphia Pale Ale is brewed with Pilsner malt and American hops, which impart a surprising citrus aroma.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002)

4.5/5  rDev +22%

*New version*. Bright pale golden orange with the fluffiest white head of foam. Consistently good carbonation creates nice lacing. Aromas are all amarillo and simcoe hop goodness, with a bready, biscuity malt base to back up the show. The taste is a fresh hop explosion laced with the flavor of fresh baked rolls. The mouthfeel is creamy, and almost cask-like from the tap, and the drinkability is very very good. An awesome pale ale!

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Note: realized I put this review under the wrong category (Yards IPA) a few months ago. Just moving the review to the proper place...

Reviewed on: 01-05-2012 05:31:27

Got to say it: I loved this beer.

Had this on tap at Irish Pub on Walnut during a trip to Philadelphia yesterday.

A fingers worth of head sits on top of a light, slightly hazy, honey colored body. The lacing on this brew is wonderful - I love it when the circular residue follows your sips all the way down like the notches on a tree. It smells great - grassy, candied citrus. Taste follows the nose with a little hop but not that much. It's fruity and even kind of creamy. Leaves a great taste behind.

I've never heard of this beer and it was delicious. I'm sure it was a fresh batch on tap, but maybe this beer is also underrated.

Give it a shot!

Reviewed on: 01-05-2012 05:31:27

I love this beer.

Well balanced hops and malts. Depending on what I'm eating, or my mood, I find myself noticing one or the other more prominently at different times. I think this speaks to beer's balance.

Hands down the most reliable, best valued beer in Philadelphia. Yards always works with quality ingredients to produce fine quality products like this original PPA.

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Pours a light golden color with decent head. Aromas of citrus and pine, really nice. Tastes much like it smells. Crisp and refreshing with a pleasant bitter finish, nice balance. Nice carbonation and light on the mouthfeel. Honestly this is my go to beer any time of the year. I could probably live on this stuff. Not overly complex, but definitely interesting and I like that. I'm still surprised every time I drink this beer how much I love it.

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Enjoyed yard's Pale Ale from the Tap and then a case the next day!

Man PA is wonderful for the out-of-towner!

The Appearance is lovely on this IPA nice light colored tan/brown look on this summer looking ale. The smell is golden heaven, hoppiness taking over with floral, tropical citrus notes, my favorite...Taste is nice, not too carbonated, just right, feels great on the palate. Overall i pushed this on everyone i interacted with up in PA, it was my favorite..

Had a few other brews from Yards, and we stormed through a mixed case as well so i must hype this brewery. Enjoy!

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not your typical pale ale. First off, the color is "off". Expecting your average or traditional coppery amber color, you're instead presented with a solid gold, sort of sunny yellow hue. Looks like an overly carbonated adjunct lager, and I'm sure this effects the taste perception for some. I happen to like it for what it is and the head is almost always very thick and cottony from the pour with ample, sparkly lacing. Aside from some specks of yeast floating around, it has a clean, filtered appearance.

I've seen some people describe the aroma and subsequently the flavor as "cat pissy". On rare occasions, I sense something like that, too, but I find, by and large, it offers a firm, uniformly appealing hop character - nothing offensive. I'd describe the hop aroma as floral/perfumy, herbal, grapefruity (to a small degree), and piney more than anything else. Little bit of a zesty yeast thing wafting around as well.

This is brewed with pilsner malt and, knowing that, the beer does look and drink like a spicier, hoppier Pilsner Urquell. It's a mindfuck - calling this a pale ale when it's very pilsner/export like. It has some grainy attributes in flavor and feel to go along with a quite herby, almost rosemary, hop essence. Hardly thin and watery either, which I think would turn me off. Enough substance to satisfy, quench, and accompany/wash down summer grill foods and salads very nicely.

Hey, it's probably the weaning - or purely regional - but this is a fantastic beer, preferably on tap. Worth a shot if you come across it and it's reasonably fresh. Most assuredly sessionable. Brush aside expectations, close your eyes and drink it. You'll love it or hate it. I don't care, I'll drink it all the same.

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

Had on tap at Citizens Bank Park.

A - Pours yellow/orange. A thick head of foam on top.

S - Smells strong of grapefruit. Perhaps the strongest I can recall.

T - Incredible taste of citrus. About the most refreshing pale ale I can recall.

M - Enjoyable, and perfect for a hot day.

O - Glad to have tried this one. For those who like citrus flavored ales, this is a must.

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured from a bottle into lightly chilled mug.

Appearance: Light gold clear color with thick fluffy white head that persists and leaves light lacing on sides of glass.

Smell: Nice bright Simcoe hop smell with pleasant citrus balanced by light sweet malt.

Taste: The flavor is well balanced and complex with mild citrus hop bite with no real harshness at all. The hop is followed by pale sweet malt flavor. The overall flavor sneaks up on you rather than clubs you over the head.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light bodied feel with medium length crisp finish and no trace of harshness.

Drinkability: Each one of these leaves you disappointed that it is finished and wanting more. A beer that is too drinkable for my own good. Clearly moving the brewery to its new location has done this beer no harm.

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours a clear fluffy-headed ginger color, plenty up top, and active carbonation down low. Sparkling and remarkably pale.

Aroma is an epiphany of what Pale Ale should smell like -- this beer's smell is the closest thing I know to sticking your head inside a bag of hop leaves and freshly cracked grain right before a brew day, a perfect communication of hop and malt, pure and simple.

Taste is a bit less clear, but retains the note of graininess that makes me like this beer so much. There is a refreshing element of untouched water, clear broth, inside the swallow. Never overly bitter, nor overly floral, nor gloppy and muddy, there is a delightful balance in this glass.

Mouthfeel is quite active and frothy, which reminds me of Sparkling Ales of old. It's never sharp, however, which is nice. One of those beers that profits from an active mouthfeel and being served juuussst a little cold, the bottle is better than the tap, which is better than the cask. Odd, but true.

Drinkability is nice -- you could have a few, but I rarely do anymore, with any beer. Still, an easy sessioner, and perfect for a baseball game. A no-brainer choice when you go to see the World Champion Phillies play in person.

All in all, a great, idiosyncratic beer -- why don't more breweries make their pale ale like this?

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%

Absolutely the best smelling beer on the planet. The citrus and evergreen smell is incredible. The flavor is very balanced, not overly bitter which makes it an incredible session beer. Always have to have a case on hand. I have found that many people who don't care for hoppy beers still like this beer. But then again, I have talked to many people who don't care for the beer at all. I guess its one of those love'em or hate'em beers and I definitely love it. My favorite every day beer.

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

Yards- Philly Pale Ale

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA

Appearance- Light orange/ yellow with very little head. Heavy carbonation.
Smell- Light grapefruit not much else.
Taste- Big sweet grapefruit with a touch of apricot?! Nice malt balance as well. Hops are big and bold!!
Mouthfeel- Sweet up front but finishing off with a big flavor and a mild bitterness.

Overall- A delicious Pale Ale! Fresh tasting, and it must be cause I was here a few days ago and they didn't have it!!

***edited on 3/5/09***

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

12oz bottle. Brewed in late march.

App: Slightly chunky 1.5 finger head. True gold with a slight haze. Loads of bubbles.

Smell: Fruity/floral hops with a noticeable bitterness. I'm not a fan of smelling the bitterness beforehand.

Taste: Light malt taste upfront followed by a strong citrus flavor. Low bitterness and a slight mineral taste. The best APA I've had in terms of flavor. This is what I think an APA should be, not the hop-bomb stuff the west coast puts out. Could perhaps use a bit more in the malt zone, but at 4.6% a low malt profile is to be expected.

Wonderfully light in body with a slight film that is rather pleasant. I could have another, and that's saying alot since APA's are not my usual brew.

Philadelphia Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.