Philadelphia Pale Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

Not to be boastful, but we honestly believe all others pale in comparison to this one. Crisp and hoppy, Philadelphia Pale Ale is brewed with Pilsner malt and American hops, which impart a surprising citrus aroma.
4.44/5  rDev +20.7%

Absolutely the best smelling beer on the planet. The citrus and evergreen smell is incredible. The flavor is very balanced, not overly bitter which makes it an incredible session beer. Always have to have a case on hand. I have found that many people who don't care for hoppy beers still like this beer. But then again, I have talked to many people who don't care for the beer at all. I guess its one of those love'em or hate'em beers and I definitely love it. My favorite every day beer.

2.98/5  rDev -19%

A: Straw color with a big head that disappears slowly. Head sticks the sides of the glass. I like that.
S: Citrus smell followed by pine.
T: Very grapefruit and refreshing.
M: Somewhat hoppy feel, stays with you for a while.
D: Better summertime beer, drank this in March. Very clean.

Not a grapefruit eater, so the beer did not appeal to me. But could see many followers of the beer.

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Ap. Nice golden color, slightly cloudy with a respectable head.
Sm. Sweet, clear, crisp with a strong citris aroma.
Ta. Starts with a light citris note that introduces you to the big white grapefruit flavor of the hops...remains tart and bitter through the finish.
Mf. Good carbonation and body for a lighter beer.
Dr. Pretty good, but I'm out of sync with hoppy APA/IPA beers right now.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Nice cloudy gold color with a great foamy head.
S: Nice and bitter aroma with some citrusy/piney notes.
T: Slightly bitter and fruity notes. Crisp and refreshing with some good light maltiness.
D/M: Crisp and drinkable beer. Does not overwhelm the palate and really easy to drink

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

I love this beer.

Well balanced hops and malts. Depending on what I'm eating, or my mood, I find myself noticing one or the other more prominently at different times. I think this speaks to beer's balance.

Hands down the most reliable, best valued beer in Philadelphia. Yards always works with quality ingredients to produce fine quality products like this original PPA.

4.63/5  rDev +25.8%

I've been keeping this in my kegerator for the last year. Hands down one of my favorite all-around beers and always a crowd pleaser. The pilsner nose can be strong so I usually serve it in a pilsner glass. A great crisp pale ale with a touch of grapefruit/citrus.

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

on tap at new wave in philly. served in a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazed golden orange with a thick layer of filmy whit head. Fades slowly with spotty rings of lacing and nice retention.

Scents of citrus hops with pineapple and biscuit malt followed by sweetness and hops.

A dash of bitter hops up front with citrus and orange. Slight tones of rind and lemon peel followed by more hop bitterness. Malt backbone sweetness is super light and understated. Dry hops with more fruit and bitterness towards the finish.

Lighter medium body, dry finish, and some touches of fruit. Drinks quick, not really the best Yards beer but not the worst either.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from bottle into glass...

A: Light golden color with a head that lasted long into the enjoyment of this beer.

S: Pleasant almost floral like aroma - very pleasing

T: Seems to be just the right amount of hops and citrus like flavor.

F: Slight bitterness but not too overpowering

D: Goes down nice and easy - recommended as a good beer to start the evening with.

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours a light golden color with decent head. Aromas of citrus and pine, really nice. Tastes much like it smells. Crisp and refreshing with a pleasant bitter finish, nice balance. Nice carbonation and light on the mouthfeel. Honestly this is my go to beer any time of the year. I could probably live on this stuff. Not overly complex, but definitely interesting and I like that. I'm still surprised every time I drink this beer how much I love it.

4.32/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yards Philly Pale Ale is a really special ale. It pours a rich brown color, yet a tad lighter than an ale you'd find brewed in England.

It's taste is exceptional. Just the right amount of hops, with a slight citrus smell and taste. If you like IPA's but find there often a bit too much, give this ale a try.

Washes down very smooth and you'll be begging for more. Its relatively low ABV allows for a few... Enjoy.

3.41/5  rDev -7.3%

Acquired from TheManiacalOne so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
Consumed 11/8 poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a light copper color with a one finger of white head that hangs on a bit. Big spots of lacing are left on the glass.

S: Nose is overpoweringly floral hops. Just a bed of botanical hop notes. Minor biscuity notes are present, but the hop rules on this one.

T: Taste starts a grapefruit and floral hop bite. Compared to the nose, floral presence is a bit muted wihch is a good thing. Middle is filled with a breadiness that calms the hop bite. Finish has a light caramel malt presence with a bit more of floral hop bitterness.

M: Lighter side of medium body, medium carbonation, starts off quite crisp before getting a bit of sticky-chewyness to it.

D: Goes down relatively easy, somewhat tasty, mild kick, ok representation of style.

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%

I drank this beer out of a tall Pilsner glass.

A- Clear light copper pour, nice colored body with a large white head reducing to light spots of lacing.

S- Light malt which quickly leads to good hops with a boat load of grapefruit and pine, it has a trace scent of pineapple in here also.

T- Light malt takes the charge, with a lot of hops following. Pineapple and grapefruit and a hint of orange. The pine is faint in the taste.

M- light to less medium bodied... Average level of carbonation.

D- Easy to drink if you enjoy hops, I could enjoy this brew on a summer day after mowing the lawn sitting on my deck relaxing.

This is a qulaity Pale Ale. I love Pale Ales and I would deifinitely purchase this one again. I would prefer it more in the warmj weather months because that is to my liking drinking a fine Pale Ale.a But it would take little to tweist my arm to drink this fine brew!!

3.3/5  rDev -10.3%

This is a good beer to start the night out with. It has a good hop aroma and is quite tasty. Nothing fancy - just a solid plae ale. We actually keep a case of yards here at the brewery most of the time since we aren't yet bottling and like a nice local beer after we're done brewing.

3.89/5  rDev +5.7%

I'm trying to play up some similarity between the city of Philadelphia and the beer's appearance but it looks so bright and sunny, yellow like a summer daffodil, and I've only ever visited Philadelphia in the dead of winter! Honestly, the glare is so bright it radiates even despite a filminess that makes the glass look dusty as an old antique.

Allow me to play Carnac the Magnificent here: a flower shop, a tropical beach, the produce section of the grocery store... what is the smell of Yards' Philadelphia Pale Ale? This bouquet is particularly strong suited in pineapple and grapefruit and wafts with a delightful floral effervescence. It pleasantly reeks to begin with and swirling only makes it reek more.

The flavour, while not quite as ripping as the aroma, still tastes of the same 'pink grapefruit and flowers' brand of hoppiness. And specially for the tongue a 'toasted bread' kind of maltiness is dished out and together they combine to make a taste that resembles some kind of candied citrus topped lemon sponge cake. Mmm, maybe I'll try making that!?

Philadelphia Pale Ale may be American by birth and in name, but it reminds me of a classic British cask offering: the hoppiness is lively and refreshingly acidic, the maltiness firm but not thick and the carbonation is casually laid back. Not to mention, it's the kind of beer you could keep on drinking all night - screw dogs, beers like this are man's best friend.

They say it's always sunny in Philadelphia and its namesake beer proves it. The golden shine, bright, buzzing bouquet and zestful, tropical flavours give this beer the same character (and appeal) as an all-inclusive beach resort getaway. And the thought of some nice weather - or any weather, really - and a six pack of this is simply mouthwatering.

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a light golden color. Definitely fairly light. Good white head, though. Nose brings some citrus and a bit of pine. Fairly faint. Taste is citrus, pine, and a bit of caramel doughiness. Feel is light with good carbonation and some bitterness. Drinks quite well. A step down from their IPA but still good.

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.
A: Golden Straw colored beer with a thin head and nice amount of lacing left on the glass.
S: Smell is like your average pale ale. Mostly earthy malt with a very light yeast aroma.
T: Very crisp and citrusy. American hops dominate the palate.
M: Crisp light body. Excellent for a warm summer day or a cool fall evening
D: Very easy drinking beer. Low in alcohol but high in flavor. The beer is very refreshing and seems to get better with every sip.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Got this from Mikereaser in the Blind Bombers BIF. This beer was reviewed completely blind-- with no knowledge of the beer, brewer, or even style.
Reviewed from notes. Served in snifter.

Bright, clear, golden in color... The beer is practically yellow. Lots of active carbonation... So yellow and fizzy? Did Mike try to sneak something by me here? The head is thick and sticky-- 2 fingers of bone white froth. The head doesn't look like anything I've seen on a lager before!

Very faint nose-- slight hops... but hard to really pinpoint what they are doing other than just a little floral note. Very little malt on nose... but not smelling any adjuncts, so the head and nose point to something other than BMC-- which is good!

I take a sip and... a VERY crisp and clean finish has me immediately thinking this is a lager. Perhaps this is a Pilsener? A light floral and spice hop note fits too. Very little malt. There is a bit of lemony citrus flavor towards the finish which is throwing me off! Now it is all I can think about and it is growing stronger.

Agh! Once I THINK about a style, my brain shuts off the parts that aren't related to THAT style! I need to start fresh on this one.

Ok-- a glass of water and a few of my sons' crackers and I'm back on this one!

Hmmm... maybe it was too cold before, because now it seems to have opened up a bit more! Now that I'm letting my brain allow my sense to REALLY scan this beer I'm noticing a lot more in the nose: there is a light malt-- like bread or even toast- it isn't very sweet. The hops are coming in with floral and lemony notes.
Lots of carbonation-- lighter than medium body, but possibly due to the bubbly feel associated with this much carbonation.

Very drinkable-- although I'm still not sure what it is! I still hold on to the idea that this could be a lager of some sort-- though it must be the hoppiest lager I've ever come across! Equally as likely, this could be a semi-faded IPA or a gently hopped APA.

---Rips open envelope---

It's Yard's Philadelphia Pale Ale. this beer has been on my wants list for a white now! I actually tried this once before when I got it as an extra-- I was too lazy to review it then though-- so this was a fun little adventure. Now knowing it is an APA, the numbers are as follows: 4/3.5/4/3/4

4.02/5  rDev +9.2%

12 oz. bottle from a mixed sixer, picked up hours earlier at Yards. No bottle date, but I'm guessing it's about as fresh as a bottle can get...

A: Bright golden, extra clear and full of small carbonation. Capped with a meringue-like dollop of white cream, stacked a thumb high before falling to thin, dimpled lid. Pretty lace, glistening bands of foam.

S: Vibrant smell, strong and lemony, verbena(?). Honeyed malt and spiced bread. I enjoyed this from the taps, and am glad the aroma is just as wonderful from the bottle.

T: Spiced bread malt base (Pilsner), covered in citrus (lemon/pink grapefruit) zest (Simcoe hops) and astringent pine. Hoppy enough, although malt-forward flavors eventually skew this Pale more toward an English version. And I'm OK with that.

M: Crisp feel at first, mellows gradually before eventually becoming a little sticky/gummy. Light-medium body.

D: On the day when I first (finally!) tried ANYthing from this venerable mid-Atlantic brewery, I've gotta say I'm impressed. Bright, flavorful and brilliantly scented, the Philly Pale Ale was one of several Yards brews (more reviews to follow) that I'd be glad to return to.

3.9/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: This is quite a pale ale, clear gold with a light one-finger head that fades to a collar.

S: The nose is grapefruity American hops, and plenty of them.

T: The light malt is the first to shine, but the citrus of the hops becomes apparent even before the center, by which point there are notes of pine and perhaps the famous "juicy fruit" flavor. When cold, the finish is quite bitter, but is very pleasant as the beer warms slightly.

M: About what you'd expect from an APA. I'd love to try it on cask.

D: This is a true session beer: low ABV, but with lots of taste and character.

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not your typical pale ale. First off, the color is "off". Expecting your average or traditional coppery amber color, you're instead presented with a solid gold, sort of sunny yellow hue. Looks like an overly carbonated adjunct lager, and I'm sure this effects the taste perception for some. I happen to like it for what it is and the head is almost always very thick and cottony from the pour with ample, sparkly lacing. Aside from some specks of yeast floating around, it has a clean, filtered appearance.

I've seen some people describe the aroma and subsequently the flavor as "cat pissy". On rare occasions, I sense something like that, too, but I find, by and large, it offers a firm, uniformly appealing hop character - nothing offensive. I'd describe the hop aroma as floral/perfumy, herbal, grapefruity (to a small degree), and piney more than anything else. Little bit of a zesty yeast thing wafting around as well.

This is brewed with pilsner malt and, knowing that, the beer does look and drink like a spicier, hoppier Pilsner Urquell. It's a mindfuck - calling this a pale ale when it's very pilsner/export like. It has some grainy attributes in flavor and feel to go along with a quite herby, almost rosemary, hop essence. Hardly thin and watery either, which I think would turn me off. Enough substance to satisfy, quench, and accompany/wash down summer grill foods and salads very nicely.

Hey, it's probably the weaning - or purely regional - but this is a fantastic beer, preferably on tap. Worth a shot if you come across it and it's reasonably fresh. Most assuredly sessionable. Brush aside expectations, close your eyes and drink it. You'll love it or hate it. I don't care, I'll drink it all the same.

1.99/5  rDev -45.9%

Smells like pine, yellow- orange small head and generally very little lacing. Tastes like pine, pine and hops not much else. I theres much better yards out there, and much better `` summer beers`` for that matter. I wouldn`t consider the drinkability high. However if youve ever wanted to drink a pine tree, this is it.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

poured from 12oz bottle, a bright golden color, clear, with a thin white head. much lighter than some other pale ales, but I suppose within the range for the style. aromas detected are straw, grain, but mostly piney hops. taste is dominated by a crisp hop bite with a clean finish. higher carbonation with light body. it's quite easy to throw back, a good summer beer.

4.12/5  rDev +12%

There is a sufficient head that subsides, but yet sticks around with minimal lacing. The nose is this beer's best quality it is a mix between citrus and floral hops. Citrus dominates the palette. At first it has a bite then it quickly fades and there is a definite hop filled taste. Overall a drinkable beer that could compliment a wide variety of food.

4.02/5  rDev +9.2%

The carbonation on this beer is off the hook. Be sure to pour it very slowly. We get a gold body with a massive, frothy, white head. Big grapefruit blast to the nose, along with tropical fruit notes (citrus mostly, some melons). Taste is grapefruit and pineapple up front. The carbonation becomes a liability to the weight and texture, which go up in bubbles before I can get a bead on them. Overall a very interesting beer that's a lot of fun to drink. Some of my fellow BAs have been unnecessarily critical of the unique carbonation level rather than seeing it for what it is.

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Decided to crack this one open with the kids playing in the yard as the sun went down tonight. Poured cold and into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 07/01/2010.

Decent pour with a very light and very clear pale golden yellow. Nice head of white then rises up around this forming a two inch head that quickly and completely fades leaving behind a broken crown that had some decent lacing around the sides.

Aroma is quick again and clean. Light hops are totally balanced against a nice malty bill. Nice bread and grain notes, hints of lemon and pine and a clean refeshing taste. Light touch of corn like flavor in the finish before a quick dash of hops dries it out and gets in the last word.

Overall nice and solid. I could see this selling alot in the summer.

Philadelphia Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.