Philadelphia Pale Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale

good

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.30% ABV

Not to be boastful, but we honestly believe all others pale in comparison to this one. Crisp and hoppy, Philadelphia Pale Ale is brewed with Pilsner malt and American hops, which impart a surprising citrus aroma.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002)

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

My second review from my mixed case of Yards.Poured into a Yards/Standard Tap glass.

One finger,bubbley head that looks like it will leave some lacing.The body is a murky yellow,likes like mountain dew.

I smell some grapefruit and orange but the smell isnt as pungent as it was last week.

Taste is sweet malts and bittering hops towards the end of the sip.

The mouthfull seems a bit watery but that may be just me.

The drinkability is good on this one.I cant put it down for long before I want another sip.Im glad we have a pale ale like this in philly.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

Very big citrus smell. smell also comes with hints of amalt, as it where

Pours a darker golden, very fizzy, some white head, not much, but some. The citrus hop taste is very very prevelent in this beer, which could be good. Honestly, this tastes less then a beer, and, IMO almost like VO whiskey. I dunno, but for some reason, that is how it feels. Nice, rather drinkable, but I am not overly impressed, nor am I dissapointed

3.58/5  rDev -3%

not very pale in appearance for a pale ale, but that's not all that big of a deal to me. The floating chunks are quite a surprise though. The head was almost nonexistent, albeit my glass came from the dishwasher unfortunately. The flavor is straight up hops, zingy, crispy, floral. The flavor makes for one heluva session brew. It's crisp mainly; just plain and simply hoppy and that's all it needs to be to make me happy.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

Paid $27.99 for a mixed case...

The beer pours a fizzy golden colored base with a huge active white head, so active that I could only pour 10 oz. of the bottle into a pint glass without it overflowing the cup! Nice head retention and specks of lace throughout the beer's sessions. The aroma is very lemony smelling with a backdrop of hop.

The taste is a nice balance of citrus and hop notes, the carbonation as experienced from pour was a very annoying while the beer settled in the mouth. However, still drinkable and light being a 4.3%abv, I would only have one more and move on to greater things, the carbonation is a problem that needs to be fixed...

Final Thought: I'll take a Goose Island Honker's Ale if I want a light pale ale, thank you!

3.1/5  rDev -16%

After moving out to Philadelphia (or what I tell everyone, since I'm right outside) I decided to scout some of the local beers. I came upon a twelve pack sampler from Yards, and decided I would blindly go into it. I had never heard of Yards, but it looked fairly distinguished from the other local brews. The sampler had four of their "signature ales", and I decided to go with the light, easy drinking Philadelphia Pale Ale. Here's my breakdown:

Served from bottle into tumbler pint

A - Light gold, crystal clear, with a light yellow-white bubbly head right off of pour. Slowly fizzles down to a creamier 1/4" head after a few minutes. Retention lasts through the entirety of consumption with little lacing left behind

S - Light, sweet aroma, with a dull hint of some citrus

T - Like the smell; a lightly sweet taste, with citrus notes to add a tangy finish

M - Very light-bodied, clean feel. Very smooth and drinkable

O - I think this is a good beer. Nothing that really jumps out at you, but something that would cater well on a hot summer day. I can see myself getting some of these for a nice barbeque outside, where I don't have to worry about them filling me up. The low ABV (4.6%) will allow for more consumption, too, which is always a plus!

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Philadelphia Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.