Brawler Pugilist Style Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

Brawler Pugilist Style AleBrawler Pugilist Style Ale

good

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  4.20% ABV

The most approachable of our ales, Brawler is malt forward and delicately hopped for a knockout flavor. Its smooth character, hints of caramel and toast, and remarkable drinkability define this ruby colored brew as a true session ale. Perfect when you want to go more than a few rounds.

(Beer added by: garcia2a on 12-10-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brawler Pugilist Style Ale Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is toasted malts.Taste is bread,butter and various malts.Overall a decent beer that is thin and relatively smooth.Seems like a beer best for the warmer months.I would recommend to try at least once.I'd probably buy again.

matty, Jul 19, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

Picked this up as a "take-out" at Fireworks Pizza in Washington D.C. Poured into a stange glass.

Pours with three fingers of off-white head that quickly falls but retains a good layer for quite some time. Body is clear and is a enticing shade of smoked ruby-copper.

Smells of toasted complex malts, mostly on the lighter side of the spectrum but with a little representation on the darker areas. The hops are mild but complex, and smell to be English or simillar.

Hmm... the flavor is somewhat masked by a very high level of carbonation. However what I taste is slight notes of burnt sugar, toasty pale malts, chocolate malts, and some light airy hops.

The mouthfeel is much more carbonated than I would prefer or what I would expect. I know this style is usually low on carbonation if it is trying to mimic the traditional style in which this beer would have been served in England. Otherwise it is light and a little thin.

Concluison: I had high hopes for this beer as I have never tried a sample of this style, however I have brewed ales that I consider to be English Mild ales (or as close as I can guess) and I love the overall idea of a session ale. My hopes were not met, and I will continue to search for more examples of this style.

allforbetterbeer, Jul 11, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Picked this up last week at the Buy Rite in Jersey City, along with the other Yards beers that I tried. I had never had an English Dark Mild Ale before and obviously, don't get a chance to try one every day. Sure enough, this was the textbook definition of the style and had I bought more than one bottle of this, I certainly would have had it last night as well!

Nice pour to this with a brilliant brown hue that was ruby red around the edges. The head was quite frothy and long-lasting but the lacing wasn't really visible at all as I made my way through my session. The taste was quite roasted and it almost reminded me of a lighter version of a Brown Ale. There was caramel, bread, and a strong malt presence and even though there was little carbonation to be seen in the glass, it could be detected as I swished this around in my mouth. No spice to be detected here and no stickiness either, just a solid beer that went down pretty easily.

Alcohol? If you're looking for it, move along. You won't taste it and you'd probably have to down a six-pack of this to feel it. This is about as easygoing as a style gets without feeling watered-down or mass-marketed. On a cool summer night like the ones we've had lately, it would be tough to find a better beer to enjoy with the windows open. Since this isn't complex by any means, just about any lover of suds owes it to him or herself to give this a shot. This can appeal to quite a large audience!

JerzDevl2000, Jul 05, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Pours a reddish mahogany color with Decent head and minimal white lacing.

S: Hints of sweet malts, honey and caramel...somewhat unique in a way I can't describe.

T: Caramel and brown sugar with more sweetness than expected.

M: No bitterness at all, very low carbonation and thin.

O: A decent low ABV beer that I can see myself drinking again for the right occasion.

UconnHusky, Jul 02, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Brown almost brandy in color with mild amber highlights and a white one-finger head that quickly dissipates into a white wispy lace.

S: Toasted malt aromas fill the nostrils. Hints of caramel and fruitiness in the background.

T: Taste is a little sweet with caramel, toffee, and lighter milk chocolate. Easy on the palate – nice and blended and not too strong.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I love a English dark that is put together right. This is a nice session beer @ 4.20%

ckollias, Jun 27, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

A- More or less medium brown, with some reddish highlights. The head has just a bit of color to it. Retention is decent, and it leaves a couple notes of lacing.
S- Smell is a bit sweet, with some honey and caramel coming through. Just a bit of a toasted bread aroma.
T- Caramel is the dominant flavor, with just a bit of toasted malty notes coming through as well. At times there are flashes of like a nutty character. A bit of mineral character in the finish.
M- Decently full bodied. Carbonation is low and it's a bit sticky.
O- An enjoyable easy drinking beer. Would love to see more breweries brew a simple, drinkable, flavorful ale at abvs this low. But alas, that is not the custom of the times.

jsprain1, Jun 14, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

on tap at the ark in point

Pours a clear amber color with some darker hues with reddish tones. Decent white head retains for a moment, some spotty lacing on the glass.

Fairly muted nose, some sweeter malts with caramel and dark fruit, faint hops as well. Not too much going on.

Mostly malt right up front with some bready and caramel tones. Light fruits punch through with candied tones. Faint hops towards the finish, which is quick.

Medium body and carbonation, bubbly and sticky on the tongue. Drinks okay, alright in a bar where there isn't many options, but not really my favorite offering from Yards.

xnicknj, Jun 14, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Pours a clear brown in color, with heavy ruby highlights when held up to the light. Nice one finger off-white head with average retention. Some spotty lacing, but not a huge amount.

S - Some muted sweet maltiness. Not a lot going on here.

T & M - The flavor kicks the aromas arse, even for a mild style. Sweet caramel malt with a rather bready or biscuit like character. There also seems to be a mild fruit component lingering around in the background...seems like apples to me, yes, I'm fairly certain that's apples I'm tasting. Thin bodied and crisp. I certainly wouldn't expect an English mild to have a full bodied mouthfeel.

D - the drinkability factor on this one is through the roof! This is a session beer all day long. If it was carried in this area I would always have a sixer of this in my fridge for daily quaffing. A good session brew.

drizzam, Jun 13, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a deep brownish red with a very light tan head. dissipates with no lacing quite quickly. Sweet malty smell, not much else going on in the nose. Nice sweet malty flavor, perhaps some hickory smoke in there and some brown sugar. Almost has a hickory smoked bacon quality to it. A pinch of bitter rounds it off nicely with the sweet flavors. This is my first beer from Yard's and its not too shabby at all.

bamojr, Jun 13, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +3%

A quick pour yields a translucently mahogany-colored body with about a finger of tawny, large bubbled cap. That dark malt really gives the appearance of body and braun on this fighter.

Smells of baking chocolate, a grassy tobacco and a roundish bready cracker. Pretty straight, pretty true. Doesn't arc or evolve but is subtly satisfying. This carries directly onto the tongue. Dry through and through, with a slight crackle sensation for the carbonation. Sometimes ashen, other times a brighter shade of malty tobacco and shortbread. Again, the experience doesn't exactly 'arc' or evolve from the front of the mouth to the back, but it doesn't need to. This is a sessionable quaffer.

There's a terrific amount of body considering the low ABV. And the carbonation does it's job well to keep the beer moving quickly and refreshing at all times. Overall this is a very easy drinking beer - the kind of beer that is easy to enjoy without much thought or effort, but is still rewarding with a variety of simple flavors.

Philabeerphia, Jun 10, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Reviewed from notes: Had on tap at 2 stones.

appearance: dark brown with a orangish red hue and a 1 finger head

smell: malts, caramel,

taste; sweet, malts, caramel

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: not a bad beer. easy to drink. and glad I finally got to sample something from Yards.

Cheers,
the CPJ

THECPJ, Jun 03, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

A&S: Pours translucent brown with a reddish tint and a healthy amount of tan colored head that diminishes rather quickly. Smell is primarily of roasted malts.

T&M: Taste is light malts with a little bit of sweetness and hops. Very mild in taste, but good and drinkable. Mouthfeel has a bit of carbonation and goes down dry.

O: Very drinkable, pretty low ABV, nothing very special about it but there is nothing bad about it. I could see myself getting another six pack sometime and enjoying them as a session beer.

Tartarus, Jun 01, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured a dark brown with tan head that fades quickly.

The smell is faint but of a slight roast and a very little scent of hops.

The taste is subtle but on the on the roasty malty side of things. There is a nice little hop kick but nothing over the top.

There's not much special about this beer but that's what makes it so damn great. There are not enough solid session beers here in the U.S. so a brew like this is a true gem!

Eriktheipaman, May 30, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Had on tap at the Pickled Pig Pub. Yards has come to Delaware!

A: Beer was served in a pint glass and was a medium brown color, almost a thin brown, with a small tan head that had decent retention and left little lacing. Small carbonation bubbles released from the bottom.

S: Caramelized malt, light hops, a little honey, and some fruits, I actually got some strawberries on the aroma.

T: Sweeter than expected with some honey and fruit, the strawberry returned, but it was not very strong. A sizeable amount of caramel and brown sugar came through on the back end with a slightly sweet finish.

M: Medium bodied, but lighter than I thought it would be with nice carbonation.

O: Very good, a nice low ABV beer that I could drink in pretty much any season. Glad that I can now pick it up at my local stores.

mdaschaf, May 29, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12 fl oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a dark amber body with a thin head that recedes quickly.

Smell: The aroma hit me mid-pour. Strong roasted malt aroma of chocolate and burnt coffee straight out of the gate.

Taste: Roasted malt flavor almost bordering on a stout. The flavor comes off a little too thin, however, and does not last long on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Too thin and watery for my taste. I guess that's what you get with such a light/low ABV offering.

Overall: I could see this as a sessionable thirst quencher for people who prefer dark beers, but overall, I'm not very impressed.

JednoPivoProsim, May 22, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

On tap at the green parrot in newton.
A good looking amber hued beer. It was lightly carbonated, clear and with minimal head formation.

Aroma was lite and had a nice malt backbone slightly toasted. Hop aroma was very sutle and almost non existent.

A smooth malty brew sweet and clean. Some nuttiness and or bread notes. Not much in way of hops which is typical for this style.
A good, easy drinking beer in my opinion.

micromaniac129, May 22, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle - No best by date visible.

A: Poured from bottle into pint glass,clear light amber with one and a half finger head that quickly dissipated into a thin lace, not much carbonation.

S: light malts with light hop hints.

T: Light malts with slight hop hints, small fruit tastes as well.

O: Overall a very easy to drink beer with a light body, almost carbonation free,decent taste with a dry aftertaste.

InebriatedJoker, May 15, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

A: Pours a dark reddish brown color with a small off white foam head. No real lacing.

S: Not much hitting the nose, some mild caramel, bread and coffee.

T: Starts and finishes the same. Some mild hints of sweet caramel and bread are prevalent but it is a little weak. It never gets more potent.

M: A light bodied beer that is almost a little too watery.

O: The beer has potential, just needs some more flavor. I like what is there already, just give it more malt and this would be really tasty.

IronCitySteve, May 13, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

A co-worker suggested this one to me recently. It was a slow day in the office, and one can only check Facebook so many times every hour, so we began chatting. I mentioned that I was taking my first tentative steps into the dark catacombs of the beer world, and I wasn't really enjoying the outrageously hoppy beers my girlfriend kept foisting on me. Being the decent person he is, he only busted my balls for about ten minutes, then rattled off a few bottles that he thought I might enjoy. He was exactly right about this Yards Brawler.

We began with a 12 oz. bottle, poured into the only proper glassware I had on hand, a 20 oz. mug. Not as imposing looking as I'd hoped, but 'tis enough,'twill serve. Poured a stunning ruby red color. I was careful to pour gently, as I tend to have the SPED kid strength from time to time; resulted in a half-finger head that dissipated fairly quickly, leaving a rather tenacious if light lacing.

The huge headspace meant plenty of room to jam my beak into the glass, at least. My palate's not terribly trained, but I got a wonderful smell of honey, apricots, and freshly-baked bread, with a touch of pear in there, too. My brother walked into the kitchen at this point and insulted me for a couple minutes, saying I looked like a retarded dog trying to drink out of a vase. I love my life sometimes.

First sip was caramel and those apricots again. Sweet without being cloying, with just a hint of bitterness attempting to balance things out. Carbonation was fairly high, which I'm usually not crazy about, but I think it works here. This beer is definitely on the thinner side. A small burp came up, tasting faintly of Bazooka bubble gum. I have no idea. Must be some kind of cross-contamination.

After I finished my notes, I took another Brawler out to the hammock, and then looked at how filthy the hammock was and decided to sit on the back porch instead. Highly sessionable, great for a cookout, a poker game, or watching the Flyers or Eagles dash your hopes against the pavement once again. Overall, a refreshing and insanely drinkable beer, accessible to newbies, but with enough flavor to keep veterans interested. I have no idea how typical this beer is of its style, but it's fast becoming a favorite of mine on its own merits.

ForkAndSpoonOp, May 07, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Deep ruby color with a small white head and some lacing. Smells of burnt wood or coffee maybe and dark roasted malts with some chocolate undertones.

Very light body, but on the creamy side of things, and the taste packs less of a wallop than the smell indicated it would. Almost a little watery. The dark roasted malts that come through on the nose are almost missing and are instead replaced by some lighter, sweeter malts. Too light for what I was expecting from a very solid nose. Very light and drinkable, however, if that's what one is looking for. I probably wouldn't try this one again though.

Probably would benefit from some more hops to balance it all out and maybe a bit more alcohol to give it more character.

chodinheaven, May 07, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

Overall the taste of this particular beer from the other brands of Yards beer I found to be the smoothest tasting beer.

Looking at the dark caramel tones you think this beer is heavy but it actually is quite refreshing.

From a food pairing stand point, I recommend this beer with any kinds of foods. I've had it with with sandwiches and it didn't downgrade the taste at all.

mummbearsfan, May 07, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Brown in color with some golden hues. White head.

Some caramel and vanilla in the nose. Bready aromas.

Taste is biscuity/bready. Light caramel notes with some british yeast esters that are a bit on the fruity side. Apple and pear come to mind. Less attenuation and some buttery notes. Hops are subtle but add a nice balance and earthy note.

This bridges the gap of brown ale to mild. Tasty but nothing really stands out. Nice to see an American example.

stewart124, May 02, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -42%

Pours a hazy amber to brown in color, with an off white head. In the aroma, a small roast and hint of coffee. In the taste, a hint of coffee and roast, a caramel sweetness, and a bit watery. A small bite and lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry caramle in the aftertaste. Good flavors, just a mild though, hence it being thin.

OWSLEY069, Apr 30, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -21%

The bar keep at Tulunes in Johnstown recommended that I try Yards Brawler Ale....which to me was a clone of Bass Pale Ale. There is nothing exciting about this beer. The color was amber with zero head. There was no scent. The taste was as mentioned above...alot like Bass Pale Ale. This beer is certainly better than budlite!!! The mouthfeel is fine could certainly Session. COmpared to other beers it just doesnt have enough going on to keep me coming back.

WoodBrew, Apr 29, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured it straight from the bottle into a pint glass.

A- Medium brown, bit of a reddish tint. Not cloudy at all, and lots of visible bubbles from the carbonation. A tiny bit of head after the first pour, which was a creamy color, dissipated almost immediately, and left no lacing behind on the glass.

S- Malty, not very strong. Would like a little more "smell" to it, if you know what I mean. Still, the grainy and sweet notes were nice, and reminiscent of what you'd smell with more intensity in a stout.

T- Malty and grainy, with some sweetness and a slight caramel taste. The taste is mild, but pleasant. No hops bitterness detected.

M- I enjoyed how it fizzed over my tongue, but at the same time think that ales like this should be a little less carbonated. The beer has a lighter body and is an easy drinker for sure. Smooth finish.

Overall: I'd say this is an interesting ale that's something a stout lover like myself would reach for on a summer day. The malts are pleasant, and I could see this being a session beer. I'm not disappointed with my purchase (and I'm not just saying that because I'm from Philly). Again, could take the carbonation down a notch, but a nice drink.

stephadelphia, Apr 28, 2011
Brawler Pugilist Style Ale from Yards Brewing Co.