Brawler Pugilist Style Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

Brawler Pugilist Style AleBrawler Pugilist Style Ale

good

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: garcia2a on 12-10-2008

The most approachable of our ales, Brawler is malt forward and delicately hopped for a knockout flavor. Its smooth character, hints of caramel and toast, and remarkable drinkability define this ruby colored brew as a true session ale. Perfect when you want to go more than a few rounds.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brawler Pugilist Style Ale Alström Bros
3.87/5  rDev +5.4%

This review goes out to all the people who have never properly experienced a Brawler. This beer is a gem, and I will tell you why.

First things first, this is a session beer. It isn't meant to get you wasted.

This is a very important quality in a micro, because for the most part you get "extreme" brewers (a term I find offensive but which most seem to adhere to), and you're generally stuck with beers that are over 5% ABV. Brawler is 4.2% and we're lucky to have such a flavorful beer that clocks in so low. I know there are several others out there and blah blah blah Stone Levitation blah blah blah. Brawler is made to showcase the malt character that is so lacking in American beers, and does so in a subtle and beautiful manner. It's a beer that allows you to sit back and take punch after punch without sacrificing your sophisticated palate.

BEFORE I GO ANY FURTHER. Hopheads, please stop hating on this beer. I get it, you like more hops. I love a variety of different hops in a ton of different beers, but this is NOT A HOPPY BEER. So if you're going to discard it because it lacks in the Cascade department, well, please drink something else. Don't rate it super low because it's not for you.

Now for the ASTMO review.

A:
It pours a bright (bright means crystal clear for you novices), deep ruby. I can't say much more about how pretty the glass I have sitting in front of me is. I'm halfway through, and because I washed this glass myself I have significant lacing. Brawler doesn't do much by way of head retention, but that ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT be a factor in reviewing this beer. It is crafted in the style of the real ales of old, and I challenge you, oh beer advocate, to find many malty old English mild browns that impart serious heads. Nonetheless I'm lacing like crazy. The beer is so bright I could read through this glass if I so chose, and not only that, the color is reminiscent of certain slippers that if I click three times will take me back home. No need for a cab. Actually if you drink Brawler all night you probably won't need a cab anyway.

S:
When I dip my nose in to a Brawler I get Biscuit type malts, maybe Victory, a nutty/bready character. It isn't intensely aromatic, because there isn't much of a hop character. It's a MALT FORWARD beer folks. Ultimately very pleasant though.

T:
The Brawler, taste-wise, imparts the same nut/bread/biscuit character from the aroma profile. It is balanced by a very small amount of English noble hops, which are earthy and maybe a bit woody. For a malt forward beer, thankfully, the Brawler doesn't impart any bitterness from protein tannins, which can taste like cardboard at their most subtle, and like chlorine at their most intense. There isn't any seriously perceivable sweetness to it, it's just all malt. There are slight roasted bits that come through in the middle, but for the most part you can expect intense biscuit flavors.

M:
This beer ebbs just light of creaminess. It isn't very carbonated, but it does have a lightness to it that passes very freely from tongue to throat to belly. I gave the mouthfeel that extra .5 only because on the back of my tongue, right before the aftertaste it finally gives up what most people (including non craft beer fans re:millerlite) are looking for, that carbonated alcohol feeling.

O:
Overall this is one of my favorite six pack purchases. You can drink all six and feel just fine and dandy. It's an excellent primer for craft beer palate development, especially for people who aren't quite ready for serious brown ales, porters and stouts. It breaks down the barrier between light (re:massproduced) american lagers, and more complex craft beer offerings. When you start to allow your taste buds to wrap themselves around the malt character of this beer, you will start to notice that when you drink darker and heavier beers that you can pick out the roasted, biscuit, and pale malt flavors much more readily. Top 10 for me, and especially because you can buy and kill a case with two friends and still have enough of your wits about you to beat their asses at texas hold'em.

So gorgeous in my glass, and only 1/4 left. Sigh.

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours brown with a dark orange hue. There is less than a finger of head and there is no retention. The nose is a bit tangy and sour. There is some light malty sweetness upfront, but the flavor is thin throughout. There is a dry aftertaste that is also sort of sour, but frankly hard to place exactly. Let's just say that it is not very pleasant.

If you are looking for a low-alcohol craft beer, this ain't it. Try Stone Levitation, as it is far superior.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Consumed 12/31 at Philly Intl Airport
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a deep copper color with some reddish hues to it. A one finger of off white, khaki head that recedes quickly. Minimal lacing left on the glass.

S: Nose is big caramel malts, roast and toast notes, and a hint of nuttiness.

T: Taste starts with a predominant sweet caramel malt flavoring. Bready, yeast notes come through and fill out the middle. Finish has a nutty, toasty note and the sweet caramel and candied notes come in.

M: Lighter bodied, medium carbonation, light and crisp feel.

O: Goes down ok, somewhat tasty, not filling, not much of a kick, ok representation of style. Not a beer that I would seek out, however a decent beer to sit with for a while.

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked up this bottle to work on reviewing every style on BA. I normally don't go toward any style with "mild" in the name due to coming up in the Stone legacy. But, this was a pretty good mild beer.

I used a pint glass for the Brawler. The beer is dark brown with a light head.

It smells like a clean english ale. There is even a decent amount f malt.

The flavor has more of the malt and some pretty decent nuttiness.

The Brawler is nice & light; very easy to drink.

I would say that this is a good example of a sessionable beer.

Brawler Pugilist Style Ale from Yards Brewing Co.