Brawler Pugilist Style Ale - Yards Brewing Co.

Brawler Pugilist Style AleBrawler Pugilist Style Ale

good

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  4.20% ABV

The most approachable of our ales, Brawler is malt forward and delicately hopped for a knockout flavor. Its smooth character, hints of caramel and toast, and remarkable drinkability define this ruby colored brew as a true session ale. Perfect when you want to go more than a few rounds.

(Beer added by: garcia2a on 12-10-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brawler Pugilist Style Ale Alström Bros
IronCitySteve

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

A: Pours a dark reddish brown color with a small off white foam head. No real lacing.

S: Not much hitting the nose, some mild caramel, bread and coffee.

T: Starts and finishes the same. Some mild hints of sweet caramel and bread are prevalent but it is a little weak. It never gets more potent.

M: A light bodied beer that is almost a little too watery.

O: The beer has potential, just needs some more flavor. I like what is there already, just give it more malt and this would be really tasty.

05-13-2011 18:00:55 | More by IronCitySteve
ForkAndSpoonOp

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

A co-worker suggested this one to me recently. It was a slow day in the office, and one can only check Facebook so many times every hour, so we began chatting. I mentioned that I was taking my first tentative steps into the dark catacombs of the beer world, and I wasn't really enjoying the outrageously hoppy beers my girlfriend kept foisting on me. Being the decent person he is, he only busted my balls for about ten minutes, then rattled off a few bottles that he thought I might enjoy. He was exactly right about this Yards Brawler.

We began with a 12 oz. bottle, poured into the only proper glassware I had on hand, a 20 oz. mug. Not as imposing looking as I'd hoped, but 'tis enough,'twill serve. Poured a stunning ruby red color. I was careful to pour gently, as I tend to have the SPED kid strength from time to time; resulted in a half-finger head that dissipated fairly quickly, leaving a rather tenacious if light lacing.

The huge headspace meant plenty of room to jam my beak into the glass, at least. My palate's not terribly trained, but I got a wonderful smell of honey, apricots, and freshly-baked bread, with a touch of pear in there, too. My brother walked into the kitchen at this point and insulted me for a couple minutes, saying I looked like a retarded dog trying to drink out of a vase. I love my life sometimes.

First sip was caramel and those apricots again. Sweet without being cloying, with just a hint of bitterness attempting to balance things out. Carbonation was fairly high, which I'm usually not crazy about, but I think it works here. This beer is definitely on the thinner side. A small burp came up, tasting faintly of Bazooka bubble gum. I have no idea. Must be some kind of cross-contamination.

After I finished my notes, I took another Brawler out to the hammock, and then looked at how filthy the hammock was and decided to sit on the back porch instead. Highly sessionable, great for a cookout, a poker game, or watching the Flyers or Eagles dash your hopes against the pavement once again. Overall, a refreshing and insanely drinkable beer, accessible to newbies, but with enough flavor to keep veterans interested. I have no idea how typical this beer is of its style, but it's fast becoming a favorite of mine on its own merits.

05-07-2011 14:15:18 | More by ForkAndSpoonOp
chodinheaven

Maryland

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Deep ruby color with a small white head and some lacing. Smells of burnt wood or coffee maybe and dark roasted malts with some chocolate undertones.

Very light body, but on the creamy side of things, and the taste packs less of a wallop than the smell indicated it would. Almost a little watery. The dark roasted malts that come through on the nose are almost missing and are instead replaced by some lighter, sweeter malts. Too light for what I was expecting from a very solid nose. Very light and drinkable, however, if that's what one is looking for. I probably wouldn't try this one again though.

Probably would benefit from some more hops to balance it all out and maybe a bit more alcohol to give it more character.

05-07-2011 04:35:42 | More by chodinheaven
mummbearsfan

4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

Overall the taste of this particular beer from the other brands of Yards beer I found to be the smoothest tasting beer.

Looking at the dark caramel tones you think this beer is heavy but it actually is quite refreshing.

From a food pairing stand point, I recommend this beer with any kinds of foods. I've had it with with sandwiches and it didn't downgrade the taste at all.

05-07-2011 00:10:33 | More by mummbearsfan
stewart124

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Brown in color with some golden hues. White head.

Some caramel and vanilla in the nose. Bready aromas.

Taste is biscuity/bready. Light caramel notes with some british yeast esters that are a bit on the fruity side. Apple and pear come to mind. Less attenuation and some buttery notes. Hops are subtle but add a nice balance and earthy note.

This bridges the gap of brown ale to mild. Tasty but nothing really stands out. Nice to see an American example.

05-02-2011 02:05:05 | More by stewart124
OWSLEY069

2.13/5  rDev -42%

Pours a hazy amber to brown in color, with an off white head. In the aroma, a small roast and hint of coffee. In the taste, a hint of coffee and roast, a caramel sweetness, and a bit watery. A small bite and lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry caramle in the aftertaste. Good flavors, just a mild though, hence it being thin.

04-30-2011 12:17:05 | More by OWSLEY069
WoodBrew

2.9/5  rDev -21%

The bar keep at Tulunes in Johnstown recommended that I try Yards Brawler Ale....which to me was a clone of Bass Pale Ale. There is nothing exciting about this beer. The color was amber with zero head. There was no scent. The taste was as mentioned above...alot like Bass Pale Ale. This beer is certainly better than budlite!!! The mouthfeel is fine could certainly Session. COmpared to other beers it just doesnt have enough going on to keep me coming back.

04-29-2011 00:48:12 | More by WoodBrew
stephadelphia

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured it straight from the bottle into a pint glass.

A- Medium brown, bit of a reddish tint. Not cloudy at all, and lots of visible bubbles from the carbonation. A tiny bit of head after the first pour, which was a creamy color, dissipated almost immediately, and left no lacing behind on the glass.

S- Malty, not very strong. Would like a little more "smell" to it, if you know what I mean. Still, the grainy and sweet notes were nice, and reminiscent of what you'd smell with more intensity in a stout.

T- Malty and grainy, with some sweetness and a slight caramel taste. The taste is mild, but pleasant. No hops bitterness detected.

M- I enjoyed how it fizzed over my tongue, but at the same time think that ales like this should be a little less carbonated. The beer has a lighter body and is an easy drinker for sure. Smooth finish.

Overall: I'd say this is an interesting ale that's something a stout lover like myself would reach for on a summer day. The malts are pleasant, and I could see this being a session beer. I'm not disappointed with my purchase (and I'm not just saying that because I'm from Philly). Again, could take the carbonation down a notch, but a nice drink.

04-28-2011 00:12:09 | More by stephadelphia
dtivp

3.45/5  rDev -6%

Pours a clear medium orange- brown with a thin light tan ring and light lacing.

Aroma of sweet malts and bread.

Taste of grain, malt, barley with a slight caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light leaning medium body with moderate carbonation and crisp.

Overall it is a drinkable dark ale, properly titled a mild dark ale.

04-27-2011 21:40:08 | More by dtivp
wampahoofus

Ok, before I start, I can't think of a better name for a brew from Philly than "Brawler", at least among hockey fans! :-)

Nice dark brown color with creamy head. About 2 inches of head which fades quickly leaving behind a good deal of lacing.

Sweet aroma with lots of brown sugar and bit of fruit.

Lots of sweet malts to the taste. A bit a bitter hops lurking in the backgroud.

A nice balanced level of carbonation, giving the beer a bit of crispness.

This is a really nice English pub-style ale. Very enjoyable. Where are my fish and chips? Nice job, yards. Now behave yourself at the sporting events!

04-23-2011 17:47:18 | More by wampahoofus
oline73

Maryland

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy ruby tinted amber color with three fingers of super foamy off white head. The head recedes quickly and leaves just a layer.

Smell: Sweet and malty, there are some bready notes as well as some caramel. I'm also picking up a mild fruity note along with the sweetness, like sherry perhaps.

Taste: The sweetness is there, but not as strong as in the smell. Malt dominates with no hop bitterness being found. Bread and caramel. The fruity notes from the nose are barely there. The flavor is mild, as advertised.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a dry finish. The carbonation is way too much, kind of like a cheap champagne. Really distracting.

Overall: This beer would be above average if it wasn't so over carbonated. Otherwise, it's a nice mild ale.

04-23-2011 03:09:56 | More by oline73
BeerForMuscle

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

A - A ruby brown body with minimal head ontop.

S - Aromas of mild malts and brown grains. Some dark swweetness and nutty/bready notes present.

T - Some lightly roasted malt and semi dry grains. A bit of toffee and some nutty notes around too.

M - Drinkable. Nothing radical going on there.

O - Certainly a mild ale. And its dark too. Hence the name. I wasnt too impressed here but this one is an easy drinker for sure.

04-23-2011 00:50:56 | More by BeerForMuscle
devinoconnor

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

The Yard's Pale Ale is quite possibly my favorite PA, so when I came across this English version, I figured it had to be a safe bet. But, I was very disappointed.

Pours a brown, ruby color.

Smell is malt and barley. No hops.

Completely dominated by malt. It's not real complicated. A one-taste and you've got it figured out sort of beer.

Overall, not recommended. Grab the yellow Pale Ale instead.

04-18-2011 21:33:38 | More by devinoconnor
Samp01

2.68/5  rDev -27%

Pours a clear amber, with a quickly dissipating offwhite head. Nose is malty some light grassy notes, light hops. Taste is same as aroma. Palate is medium body, light carbonation, has a watery mouth feel. Finish is sweet malt and bready, light grassiness with some light hops ending. Overall not to remarkable. an average brew

04-17-2011 13:19:49 | More by Samp01
Knapp85

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

The brawler was interesting. I found this to be something different than the normal stuff that most breweries are putting out these days. This beer poured out as a really nice dark brown color, looked like burnt caramel. blended with a stout. The aromas were mostly roasted malts, some hops too in the mix and some sweetness. The flavors were kind of on the light side. I don't know why but I felt like this should have had a much stronger flavor it. I'll give this one a try again one day.

04-10-2011 05:35:41 | More by Knapp85
pburland23

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass.

Beer pours a light orange amber color with a thick finger and a half of off-white head. The head retention is outstanding and it leads to some significant lacing.

Smell is sweet and malty, a touch grassy even. I've never had this style before so I can't compare other Milds I've had. However, the taste is quite nice. It is sweet and mild. The label says it's a very malt forward beer, but it's certainly not a malt bomb. The sweetness is tempered and very pleasing.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and very smooth. The carbonation is also quite good.

All in all, Brawler is a very tasty and extremely drinkable session beer. A nice effort from Yards. Look forward to drinking it again in the future.

04-09-2011 23:47:25 | More by pburland23
sholland119

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

A-Pours a clear copper with hints of chestnut brown. A nice frothy tan head has great retention.

S-Nutty with sweet malt, some floral hops and a wisp of brown sugar.

T-Dark malt, some roastiness, nicely sweet caramel and a mildly bitter hop finish.

M-Light side of medium, crisp.

O-A great session beer. Always popular at our parties with non-beer geek friends, it's a well made beer that I am happy to drink this anytime.

HV

03-26-2011 01:03:55 | More by sholland119
JunkYardJake

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

12oz bottle to pint glass.
This is my first english mild so I cannot really judge this brew against it's peers. I can, however, say that this is a very tasty and enjoyable beer. It's quite malty and flavorful, yet only 4.2%. An ideal session beer. There is a good amount of visual appeal, too. Dark brown body that is highlighted with crimson hues. Full fluffy head with mild lacing. And the mouthfeel is probably it's best aspect. Full bodied and silky feel on the tongue with just enough carbonation to give it a little life. This is a great effort from Yards and one I look forward to having again.

03-20-2011 16:28:34 | More by JunkYardJake
deaconoflove

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

Ap. Not much head and gone quickly. That said, the color is a beautiful clear ruby red...almost like a light wine.
Sm. I get a little spice, a little lemon zest? and something else that is pungent. Others have said strong malt, even the brewer, but either I don't smell it or I don't recognize it.
Ta. Light tart, mild spice over hops and a faint caramel hidden in there. A lightly bitter and brief finish.
Dr. Not my favorite flavor, but good and very easy to drink.

03-06-2011 22:38:54 | More by deaconoflove
maxwellboh

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Amber and brown colors come together. Nice thick head in the beginning but leaves quickly.
S: Molasses, nutty and maple syrup smell. Somewhat sweet and malty, probably brown sugar.
T: Toffee with a smooth finish.
M: Carbonation with a dry finish. Goes away fast.
D: Very drinkable, maybe just two rounds though.

03-05-2011 05:00:42 | More by maxwellboh
HattedClassic

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: Beautiful amber red when poured. Decent lacing. Poured a nice head before quickly dissipating. A nice ring on top is left afterwards.

Smell: The smell was slightly altered by the smell of the glass, which tainted it with a buttery smell. Otherwise, I recognized yeasty smell with a little bit of spice. The smell seems to remind me of cold chamomile tea.

Taste: Likewise, the taste reminded me of cold chamomile tea but with a malty and a cold chamomile finish. I also detected some yeast flavor but very light. Addendum: Apparently the yeast flavor is stronger when colder with a chamomile background.

Mouthfeel:Light carbonation, which made it fairly crisp on the tongue.

Drinkability: Totally drinkable especially for lunch. I paired it with a burger and fries from Elevation burger. While the beer did nothing for the fries, the burger and the Ale were wonderful together.

Notes: The burger had two slices of real cheddar cheese and two organically grown patties with pickles, tomatoes, and lettuce with their special sauce.

The first glass contaminated the entire beer by adding a disgustingly buttery smell and taste. The beer was poured into a separate tumbler for review.

03-01-2011 19:03:49 | More by HattedClassic
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

A: Good brownish amber color with a really decent head that sticks to the glass.
S: Nice and roasted malt aroma with some fruity notes.
T: Light crisp flavor of malt with some hoppy finish. The beer really has a good toasted nutty flavor at the finish.
D/M: VERY light and drinkable. Fits as a very good session beer that you can drink all day. It has enough weight to it to pair with food.

02-28-2011 23:31:18 | More by pzrhsau
jwhancher

3.78/5  rDev +3%

Picked up a variety case of yards last week. Have had this one before.

A: Pours a ruby colored half brown, half amber. Nice constant carbonation.

S: Malty & bread-like aroma. Some toffee, caramel, maybe some brown sugar. Nice display of melanoidins.

T: Crusty bread & dark malt flavor. No real hop character. A slight aftertaste at the back end - a bit like corn sugar.

M: A light, dry tasting beer.

D: Great session beer. Much, much better than any mass produced session beers (i.e. lite beers) on the market. I dig the malty flavor.

Maybe I'm still new to the "mild" style, but I just wish it had a tad more character. This beer has grown on me over the past couple of years, and I could see myself liking it even more with the next one.

02-14-2011 23:04:27 | More by jwhancher
CuriousMonk

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours clear reddish brown with a small slightly rocky tan head. Head slowly fades, but leaves a small amount of lace. On the nose, aromas of dark fruit, apple, wood, and burnt notes. The flavour is malt-forward, moderately sweet throughout with a slight sour component. There is a hint of hops, but they're definitely secondary. Burnt coffee notes enter towards the finish, along with sour apple. On the palate, it is light-medium in body with a smooth, watery texture and slight carbonation. Overall, this is a decent, sweetish mild. It is quite flavourful with a nice complement of fruity and roasty notes.

02-14-2011 18:37:08 | More by CuriousMonk
mikeg67

2.38/5  rDev -35.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours redish-brown with a foamy off-white head, no carbonation. Aroma is of bready malt with some hints of grassy hops. Light, smooth body. Flavors are light of toasted malt and some brown sugar. A lot of astringency. Finish is short. I could not finish the bottle.

01-31-2011 16:32:07 | More by mikeg67
Brawler Pugilist Style Ale from Yards Brewing Co.