Yards Rye - Yards Brewing Co.

Yards RyeYards Rye

Yards Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

This beautifully complex, boldly hopped, amber-colored IPA uses rye malt to give the beer a subtle spiciness. It’s bittered with Bravo and Nugget hops before heading to the hop back packed with whole flower Chinook. Finally, we bomb it with Centennial, Citra, Simcoe, and Columbus, creating a pungent ale with intense notes of citrus and pine.

(Beer added by: BARFLYB on 06-04-2012)

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.69/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Nice bright copper. Clear. Okay carbonation, but didn't get much head out of it.

S: A little malt. Light spice. Bright floral hops.

T: Mild to medium caramel and grain flavor here which gives way to a spiciness of caraway and fennel seed. Big bright juicy hops profile takes over. Interesting mix of hops. High in acids but low in dry bittering. The hops are not what I'm used to, instead of huge green chlorophyll and fresh grass notes the flavors are more subdued and floral like cherry blossom and fescue.

M: Good body, not too thin not too light. Could have gone for a touch more carbonation to really drive home and finish on the pallet.

O: This is why I like sampling the local beers when I travel. Being from Oregon, I usually only find one type of pale, and this one is totally different. Clearly attributed to the brewer using different hops then the same three varieties you find out west. Overall, not phenomenal, but I'm apply to branch out and try something new.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This brew pours a brown/copper color with some amber highlights when held up to the light. There is a 1.5 finger off white fluffy head and good carbonation.

The smell is strong with rye citrus and floral hops; no one smell really dominates.

The taste is not as good as the smell. There is the presence of Rye but without the light peppery taste that other rye beers have and the hop tastes all run together in order to produce a bitter brew lacking in subtlety.

The mouthfeel is bready and chewy with little hop oil left on the tongue after swallowing but there is a bitter hop aftertaste.

Overall this is the first beer from Yards that I don't like. This experiment in Rye appears over-hopped, which causes the flavors of the hops to run together destroying the ability to pick out individual hop tastes and smells. Yards needs to go back to the drawing board and clean this up a bit.

3.09/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

a: Clear golden amber; poured with a medium sized, sticky head.

s: Pretty subdued; some tea like potpourri, sweet toffee, and spicy rye grains.

t: Again, this is fairly subdued. Hint of rye and some short bread, plus a little tea flavored hop tickle. Pretty formidable hop bill on the label. Couldn't taste it though.

m: Watery and thin.

o: Bland and disappointing.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

3.64/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle into a craft pint.

A- Amber, burnt orange. Off white head, stays dense at a one finger level. Nice lacing.

S- Resin, earth, brown sugar, and a bit of orange zest.

T- Very faint grain/straw flavor. Earthy hop character comes out.

M- Medium light body. Long, subtle spicy finish.

O- I feel like the hop character took away from what the rye could have brought out.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured out a medium-light clear-ish amber with about a finger of creamy white head. The head has good retention and nice lacing. The aroma is fantastic, with a strong floral and citrus hops blend balanced against a hint of rye spice. I wish the taste was just as good. But for me, it's just a little bit less complex and delicious in taste as the aroma made me think. It's certainly not bad, don't get me wrong. But it's not as good as the aroma. The mouthfeel is a little thinner and there's a noticeable bite on the finish. But all in all, this is a very good beer and one I'd have again.

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

Picked this up in Totowa last week, having never had this before. I've had so many Pale Ales and IPA's that I didn't think that this would stand out amongst them and even though it didn't, this was still an enjoyable beer that was enhanced by the Rye and the easy drinkability that it had, from start to finish. There was just a bit too much going on here but never did I feel that this was too complex or over the top when it came to its attributes.

This had a great pour to it as the light apricot hue, plentiful bubbles and enduring head all combined for a pleasing appearance once I emptied out the bottle into my pint glass. The thick head lasted well into my session and there were lots of thick, sea-foam rings down the side of my pint glass as I worked my way through this. Not a strong of an aroma as I would have liked but the rye and strong floral notes were there. Thankfully, that was reinforced by a smooth and slightly oily mouthfeel, full of orange, pine, and metallic notes that faded into a wetness and hint of lemon zest in the back. A bit of peppery spice was here too but never did this feel too potent or strong. It was a bit busy for my taste buds but I enjoyed this and it went down well, to the point where it felt more like a Pale Ale than an IPA.

Was this a session beer? No. Would I drink this like it was one? Absolutely. I only bought one bottle since I ended up grabbing a few other individuals to try out but had I bought more, I would have given them a go in the not-too-distant future. While not as potent, strong, or sharp as more popular examples of this style, hopheads and fans of Yards would be well-advices to give this a go and see how the Rye and vast infusion of various hops combine to make a brew well worth savoring. This is about as easygoing and enjoyable as an IPA gets.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Yards Rye from Yards Brewing Co.