Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Moat Square Tail Stout | Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co.
New Hampshire, United States | website

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

A Foreign-style stout. Invitingly smooth, clean and full –bodied, excellent to enjoy anytime of year. Roasted malt in mouth finishes with coffee and chocolate notes.

Added by BillyBrew on 10-06-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 85
4.24/5  rDev +6.8%

A.. Beautiful dark brown/black. Some decent lace

S.. A good hearty malt awaiting you

T.. Great stout. A little hop and a good abundance of maltiness. Smoke flavors are tasty!

M.. As with any good stout this has a dry finish. Not a session stout but close with the low ABV.

O.. I really love this stout. Bought a growler too and me and the misses polished it off in an hour. It's that good.

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

20oz. pour on tap at the Smoke House.

Wish I remembered to bring my growler. I would've filled one up.

Deep dark chocolate color, with a small head. They pour these ice cold, and right to the top of the glass, which is hard to complain about, but I would have rather had it slightly warmer, and with a little more head. Very small tan head, not much lace. I tried to let this one warm up, but ultimately poured it down my gullet fast. Very smooth and creamy, ultimately drinkable. Chocolately and slightly bitter. Very dry, which I enjoy. If I wasn't on a N. Conway shopping excursion, I would've guzzled a couple more. Great stout, nothing over the top.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%

Sampled at the 2003 Vermont Brewers Festival.

Pours with a deep, deep black body with a thin tan head. The aroma is quite pleasant, with some nice coffee and nutty notes. Taste was quite good and smooth, rolling over the tongue with nice smooth maltiness, but it came off as a bit weak on the finish. But very drinkable, and rather pleasant.

Served: Sampler from cask available from New England BrewFest.

A: Poured nearly black with a thin, tan head.

S: For the first 30 seconds I tried this brew I had a tough time placing where exactly I had the smell of this beer before. Then it came to me. It smelled just like Chocolate and/or Toffee Taffy. There was a bitterness to the chocolate smell that could not only be described as chocolaty.

T: See above for general taste as well. More bitter that typical stouts I've tried. I don't know if that made a difference between cask and typical tap.

M: Full bodied. Very dry finish that seemed to evaporate from the tongue.

D: After one glass, I was finished with this and ready for a different drink. I didn't give this a bad grade because I was trying several beres at a festival and, also, aren't most stouts a bit filling.

Overall I would definitely give this another try if Moat Mountain was more readily available in my area.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Moat Square Tail Stout from Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co.