Moat Square Tail Stout - Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co.

Moat Square Tail Stout
No picture uploaded.

Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co. visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BillyBrew on 10-06-2002

A Foreign-style stout. Invitingly smooth, clean and full –bodied, excellent to enjoy anytime of year. Roasted malt in mouth finishes with coffee and chocolate notes.
4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a dark brown/black, topped with a two finger dark khaki head. Leaves thick wide webs of lacing behind.
Roasty, earthy aroma, chocolate and burnt coffee beans.
Earthy - 'dirty' taste (I mean that in a good way), herbs on top of a chocolaty malt base, a touch of licorice and a lot of coffee. A bit acrid.
Medium-full bodied, creamy

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

had this after a fun day out in the sun on vacation! Definitely curious how they would define a foreign export stout:

A - nice rich black color with a solid dark tan head
S - Mild roasty grains / coffee notes dominate the aroma.
T - roasted grains, coffee notes, mild dark malts
M - not quite medium bodied, nicely carbonated with a medium dry light roasty finish.
D - paired very well with their brisket. Definitely a house friendly beer

I'd love to try this on a nitro pour. I always think of foreign export stouts as defined by guinness. This is definitely not guinness but is quite tasty in it's interpretation of the style.

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

Had this on tap at the Blue Mermaid in Portsmouth, NH.

This was an extremely pleasant surprise. This beer had a nice nice dark appearance with a half inch head that was a light brown color. The smell hinted at some roasted malts and had a bit of coffee smell, which was welcome. The taste was great. This had the strong taste of the roasted malts blended perfectly with the slightly bitter undertone. Overall, one of the better tasting beers I have ever had in my life. The mouthfeel was perfect for the beer. There was not a lot of carbonation to take away from the creamy texture of the brew. Drinkability was also outstanding. Usually, I can only have a couple stouts before the flavor becomes too much. This was not the case with this beer as I didn't get sick of it at any point.

Overall, this is one of my favorites and something I would get at any bar if it were available.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Had on tap at the Barleypub in Dover. I also enjoyed this with a slice of rich chocolate cake, courtesy of fellow BA's PurpleHops and Purplehats, so that made it even better. I normally don't go for stouts, but was intrigued as I'd never even heard of this brewery. Well, they do a good stout, that I can say. My full pint pour was opaque and dark, with some slight ruby highlights. It came topped with a small filmy latte colored head. Aroma was more subtle than expected, my notes tell me that there was some faint cocoa powder. Medium body, fresh tasting, smooth and roasted characteristics were the predominant flavors. I would be interested in trying more from this brewery.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Couldn’t figure out a way to cross it with this one on 6/4/2005. 16-oz. shaker pour at the Blue Mermaid in Portsmouth, NH.

About an 1/8-inch of foam starts, but settles like America’s Greatest Hero when he was learning to fly. Pitch black hue, but I can go on further to describe it as somehow faking, in a way. Corpuscular oats and washed, acid roasted malt, with a touch of burnt caramel on the nose. Crank of notty frangal, shot of smoke, and a nice chocolate underflow play on the mouth.

I found this to be very smooth, though an attenuating smoke hits the roof of the mouth, and leaves a trace of chalky character lying around. On the whole though, it stand up well. I found this pour to be more subtle, in some ways, than the one I had previously.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap in a sample glass.

Appearance: Black, with a thin beige head.

Smell: Coffee, maybe some chocolate. Some roasted malts in the backround.

Mouthfeel/Taste: I would say a medium to full bodied beer, but smooth. Tasted mostly of coffee.

Overall: One of the better Stouts I have tried, as I am not big into Stouts in the first place, but I would drink this one again for sure.

3.58/5  rDev -8%

Had on tap at the Blue Mermaid. The beer pours a deep brown-to-black with almost red edges. There is a thin tan/white head that sits on top of the brew.

The smell is roasted malts and coffee. The coffee smell is a bit acrid, beyond that there is a hint of chocolate and dark fruits.

The taste is over-roasted malt and almost burnt coffee. There is some dark chocolate and also a cherry-like-sweetness. The finish carries a weird flavor. Not exactly bad, but it just doesn't seem to belong.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for a stout, but it's well carbonated and it's pretty drinkable. I would like to revisit this one, but I am not in a hurry.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Excellent stout. Dark, well roasted, carmel taste. Went down smooth with a pleasant bitter taste. I enjoyed this beer very much. Not over filling either, did not leave me with that sometimes "bloated" feeling as experienced with other stouts. A gem.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Growler filled at Moat Mountain Brewery last night and poured this afternoon.

Fully opaque black with a full fluffy tan head and sticky, well retained lace.

Scent is roasty coffee and soft bittersweet chocolate. A hint of smoke perhaps.

Soft chocolate flavors, roasty notes, roasted coffee and a very subtle citrus hop note in the background. Not a particularly sweet stout, in fact there actually seems to be the tiniest hint of sourness when rolled to the sides of the tongue. The roasty qualities are perhaps a bit understated for an export stout, though they are certainly present. There's a nice bitterness that lingers on the tongue while you contemplate the next sip.

Oily and slick medium mouthfeel, little carbonation.

Very easy to drink. Each sip left me wanting another and when the pint emptied I refilled it immediately.

This is a delicious stout and I'd happily drink it again.

Moat Square Tail Stout from Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co.