Arcadia Starboard Stout - Arcadia Brewing Company

good

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  5.60% ABV

1058 OG; 29 IBU

(Beer added by: SheepNutz on 08-07-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Starboard Stout Alström Bros
2.8/5  rDev -18.6%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter glass

A: Pours a fairly standard looking stout style, inky black. Virtually no head whatsoever, but leaves a bit of swirling, creamy foam as the beer dwindles.

S: Nice aroma of roasted oats and bitter but sweet coffee flavors.

T: Decent sweet roasted oats to begin, but the flavoring simply disappears too quickly. It leaves me wanting more, or least more fuller flavoring, the beer simply doesn't offer enough. This is a rather bland beer.

M: Very thin-bodied beer, I was really hoping it'd be a solid bready mouthfeel, but this is entirely lacking chewiness. It's almost watery.

D: It'd be easy enough to session with this beer, but quite frankly it's not exciting enough to drink more than 1 or 2.

markgugs, Feb 19, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours very dark, a deep brown, almost black, chocolate color with some burnt amber highlights at the edges. Thick rocky dark tan head. Nice color and appearance always endears me more toward stouts that I try -- the darker it is, the more impressed I am. Pity that the nose is not nearly as impressive, with acrid grain funk aromas predominating and a bit of coffee-chocolate roastiness underneath. The taste is somewhat of an improvement over the aroma, with a dark roasted grain husk character showing most strongly, bringing a long with it some modest coffee and ever-so-slight butterscotch flavors. Full body and overall substantial palate; not exceptionally silky, or even all that smooth, but this goes down pretty well, all things considered. Glad to have sampled this, but with one of the best Oatmeal Stouts in the world usually available just a short drive away at select LCBOs, I'll probably pass on this one next time I see it.

orfeu, Jan 31, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured about a little over half finger worth of dark tan head. Dark, dark, dark brown, but i found little lacing to be present.

Smells nice and roasty, with a bit of coffee/chocolate/carmel on the back end.

Taste is good, not as complex as it could be. Lots of coffee and cocoa, and I'm pretty sure the only hops I'm tasting are the residuals from the glass of IPA I just drank ;) It's a good stout, but seems lacking.

Not too heavily carbonated, but a bit heavy and oily.. I don't know if I'd return to this offering of Arcadia Starboard Stout until I see it on tap.

While it's definitely worth a try, I won't necessarily go out of my way for it.

SaucyA, Jan 16, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A simple black hue, roasty tan head with some bubbly carbonation. Caramel, light roasted coffee beans are lightly detectable on the nose. Creamy malts are in full affect; coffee and a bit of dry hops linger on the palate. Turns a bit astringent with kisses of oats and chocolate. The body is medium-full, the finish is oily. Simple enough for an oatmeal stout.

GeoffRizzo, Jan 01, 2007
3.65/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured a deep oily brown hue with a half finger dark tan head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured solid chocolate and coffee aromas with a healthy dose of caramel.

The taste was upfront burnt grain that soon blended into a smooth sweet caramel malt. Nice coffee finish.

The mouthfeel was full with a lingering sweetness.

Overall a good oatmeal stout. Maybe a bit too much caramel though. Very drinkable nonetheless.

plaid75, Dec 15, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a very dark brown with a dark sandy head. Tartish candy cherry and bubblegum (?) sail over roasted malt and milk chocolate. Weird but not off-putting. Metallic toasted bitterness up front. Slight cardboard malt, light chocolate, and peat bog. Very little sweetness, and it's cola-sweetness at that. Dull coffee finish. Moderate body is a bit thin. Reminds me of some mediocre Utah stouts I've had. Okay, but can't hold a candle to, say, Kalamazoo Stout.

alexgash, Nov 30, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Notes from August:

Really dark brown in hue, if not black, with ruby highlight; for some reason I wasn’t expecting such a dark beer. Excellent surprise. Beige foam, at the apex there was only a half finger of head and the bubbles quickly faded to a soapy collar. There was no subsequent lacing. It has an attractive appearance even with the head flaws.

The nose is softly roasty with a well-rounded, mildly chocolate, oat-like backdrop. Astringent coffee notes in the background. Moderate potency, not too complex but inviting nevertheless. The oat aspects are fairly subdued. The nose is simple but I like it.

The palate is astringent with plenty of coffee notes and hints of cocoa. Not much oat influent. Warm alcohol residue. I don’t like stouts that are so one-dimensional. No sign of hops. Hints of dark fruit; it is fairly straightforward. Overall, it is decent but forgettable.

Medium in body, low carbonation, slick mouthfeel with an empty finish. Warm, astringent aftertaste. The mouthfeel is weak.

Drinkable? I can finish the bottle. Maybe I’d try it again. I wonder if this would be lovely on cask. Overall, it was okay but I am happy I got to try it. Thanks RedHaze.

bditty187, Oct 10, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours very dark black, with a good amount of tan foam. Had a near bottle explosion, but it poured fine, although the bubbles are really effervescent.

Some nice chocolate notes in the nose, but there is an underlying funkiness to it. Almost that Belgian farminess smell.

A bit tart, very little sweetness up front. The tartness becomes more pronounced at the sides of the tongue. There is some definite contamination, and I know it is definitely off, but you know what? I kinda like it. Ends with a sharp bitter roast.

Very low body, almost watery. Not a bad offering, but not the best oatmeal stout, nor Arcadia's best effort.

nortmand, Oct 09, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -13.4%

Very, very nice looking beer-pitch black with a huge cocoa tan head on top. Nice slight head lingers on down the glass. Metallic/medicianl aroma to it. Not unpleasant but surely unexpected. Slight roasted taste-somewhat chocolatey. Still has that metallic "ring" in the flavor. Good enough mouthfeel I would like a little more body. Doesnt have the velvety creaminess of a lot of oatmeal stouts. An enjoyable enough beer though fairly average overall. I wonder if this was fresher how it would be though there is no indication of age on the bottle.

lackenhauser, Sep 02, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz. bottle thanks to the effervescent beermanbrian

Pours onyx black with a thick brown head that thins. Mior lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very rich and roasty with some dark espresso and cocoa tones.

Taste is very roasty upfront with a slight astringency from the roasted malts. Some nice chocolate and espresso flavors mixed in as well. Finishes with a lingering burnt taste in my mouth. I suspect they get a little crazy with the black patent.

Rather light body, plenty of carbonation.

This could be great, if they would not be so aggressive with the roasted malts. As is, it's drinkable but just generally average.

MaltyGoodness, Jul 30, 2006

This beer reminded me why oatmeal stouts were one of my earliest favorite styles, and why they still hold a special place in my heart. Full bodied with a well-mannered roasted malt flavor, some hints of coffee and a finish that was smooth with a satisfying bitterness.

Brent, Jul 12, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a pitch black with a nice two finger tan head that slowly falls to a nice quarter inch cap. I was extreamly cautious in my pour based on other reviews and the extremely noticable carbonation pop when I opened this one but i didn't have the problems with an overflowing head that many others seemed to. Smell of plums up front followed by a burnt malt smell. What i notice at first sip is the high carbonation level. It's so active on the tongue that the malt sweetness that i'm sure is there is covered up. The finish is at first smooth and milky as expected but then a burnt bitter aftertaste quickly shows up to ruin the smoothness. This one started out pretty strong but dissapointed in the end. The Black Heart that I had on tap at the brewery was much better.

beermanbrian, Jun 22, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours black with a dark tan head. There is tons of carbonation, even a side pour almost caused a spill. I had to wait a few minutes for the head to recede. Smells sweet, burnt, chocolate, and malt. I could smell some alcohol as well. Taste is sweet and bitter, with a burnt bitter aftertaste. I felt like its mouthfeel was lighter than most stouts. The carbonation and bitterness really come through with the other suble flavors. This is a beer worth trying because it is so flavorful but it lacks balance between flavor and bite. I would have enjoyed it much better if the carbonation and bitterness were a bit more subdued, but I still recommend checking this one out.

wingman14, Jun 21, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pearl black with a thick succulent creamy tan head. Terrific head retention.

Laid back aromas of dark fruits, and a sour type smell I think from the cask.

Tobacco, bitter unsweetened chocolate, almond, malt, and that same cask sourness as in the smell. No hops I can point out.

The sour flavor which I think is a result of the cask is really a turn off for me on this beer. Will re-review if I happen to try it from bottle or draught.

mcallister, May 19, 2006
2.05/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured a single from Woodman's in Madison ($1.25) into a pint glass. I guarantee that this bottle came from the same six pack as the one dirtylou reviewed below.

I poured no more than 2 ounces of this into a glass before the head ballooned up and filled the whole glass. It honestly took about six minutes to pour. Huh? Head was a nice color, but it was almost comical trying to get this into the glass.

Smelled boozy, roasty and malty. There is some sort of strange chemical I smell too.

Taste was sweet and toasted, but again there was a recurring chemical candy taste that was just disgusting.

Acceptable in the mouth. Not necessarily overcarbonated, just not fulfilling either.

I wouldn't buy it, I wouldn't recommend it, I wouldn't drink it again. Horrible beer. I wonder if dirtylou and I got a bad batch?

heyitsbyron, Feb 01, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a mocha head over an impenetrable black body. Aromas of dark chocolate, roasted malt and dark coffee with a just a faint trace of citric hops in the background. Flavors of Roasted malt and dark coffee with a slight sweet chocolate character as well. Mild bitterness balancing things out. There is a noticable "British" minearal character to the beer as well. Medium to full-bodied, low carbonation. Smooth with a drying finish.

Tastes a bit like a dry stout up front, but the sweeter oatmeal side pulls through placing it in the middle stout range per its style, although a bit toward the dry end of the spectrum. A nicely balanced stout that is fairly complex for the style. A good option for splitting the differences between the extremes of the stout family.

Shovelbum, Jan 18, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -25.9%

12oz single, Woodmans

appearance: not sure what is up with this thing, but the head just exploded upon pour...pours a dark brown color, with an exploded foamy chocolate brown head

smell: slightly roasty, very astringent, hard to make out much more...theres some cocoa powder sweetness and some dark fruit but thats about it

taste: a little bitter, roastiness - almost burnt oats tasting, some malt sweetness...taste is very distracted

mouthfeel: thin, over carbonated, not good

drinkability: poor, my first dump, this shit is horrible

dirtylou, Jan 16, 2006
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think there was something wrong with my bottle it was very low in the carbonation. i've had it in the past before and i remember it being better.
poured like a flat draught beer with no head except maybe a few stray bubbles it seems thick and oily in appearance.
the smell has a slight burnt aroma, dark malts, little chocolate
the mouthfeel is a little creamy

plaztikjezuz, Dec 31, 2005
3.5/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

When they starboard, do they mean right or left? Or does that matter on which way your facing?

Well face it Arcadia Starboard Stout is a pretty nice dry stout. Although listed as an oatmeal, I’m not calling foul. The color is like looking at the bottom of the deepest part of the ocean in the middle of the night and no moon out. Even tipped there is very little color displacement. There is a nice tan head but quickly dissipates and little lace. The smell is strong roasted barely. If it wasn’t so black I would wonder if that is the only grain they used.

The taste for Starboard Stout is not a stronger roasted malt flavor that I expected but more of a burnt coffee. Black Patent anyone? Although it is not real dominate, there is a sweetness on the aftertaste that gives this beer a sort of tartness knock to it.

The flavor lasts a little in your mouth. Slowly the tartness goes away but the burnt roasted flavor stays. Nice lasting flavor. In my opinion this is more tart than sweet and not really what I like in oatmeal stouts. The body is more of a mid level characteristic which holds the beer back. Well wherever starboard is, I sailed to a decent tasting stout.

Oxymoron, Oct 13, 2005
3.45/5  rDev +0.3%

Undated 12oz poured into a pint glass.

Black with a tan head that barely makes 1cm then quickly falls to a ring that repeats itself in lace as it goes down.

Roasty nose. Lots of coffee/espresso with nuts and a pinch of floral hops.

Again, very roasty. The malts may have been roasted a tad too much as they take on a bitter flavor. The roasted nuts are there too with the same pinch of hops that try to cut through the malts but it just isn't enough.

The mouth is weak for the style. Far too roasted with a thin mouth to be considered tasty enough to session.

ypsifly, Oct 11, 2005
3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark and does not let much light through. A very small head that dissipated fast.

Smell: Smells of roasted malt and bitterness come through with a small fruitiness.

Taste: Starts of with a burnt flavor and then moves to a roasted malt and smokiness. Finishes with a grainy flavor. There also hints of coffee and chocolate present throughout.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat thick body with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: I could probably only have or two of these in a sitting. A good brew overall.

This is my first beer from the folks at Arcadia and I think they did a good job. Will pick this one up again.

bahumutx, Oct 08, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Ok, Arcadia has a solid winner here. Pours out to a black color which lets little light escape through the glass. Nice amber head stayed constant at about 1 inch or so. Aromas of coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa and malt are strong and well presented. Taste is full bodied and robust. Flavors of coffee, cocoa and malt are well presented, along with dark cherries and thick grains. Full mouthfeel is warming and enjoyable. This is a good brew , with decent drinkability. A solid stout, but not for everyday. Recommended.

Frozensoul327, Oct 04, 2005
3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

If you're looking at my reviews and saw how I reviewed the Expedition Stout from Bells, you'll be happy to know that this beer redeemed stouts for me again! I had this for/with breakfast, isn't that what oatmeal stouts are for ? ;-)

Pours like hot molasses with 1 finger creamy tan head that lingers for a while. Just a slight bitter/burnt smell, and as it wamrs you get a hint of fruitiness.

Starts out with surprisingly little flavor and quickly the bitter roasted/burnt malt and oatmeal take over. A slight juicy sweetness and a hint of fruit, that I couldn't immediately place. Then when I looked at my notes again, trying to place the fruity flavor, I saw the word juciy was directly above the word fruit, and it hit me, it wasn't a real fruit that I was tasting (which is why I couln't palce it) it was Juicy Fruit! Is this a result of the oatmeal? It seems like that flavor is present if I eat raw oats (which I do, I like the flavors of raw grains) and they start to break down to sweetness in the mouth. Bitter aftertaste.

Moderate, but not overly thich body, very light carbonation.

Stouts to me are not normally very drinkable. I will almost never drink two. But this beer is pretty drinkable, otherwise it would never have made a good breakfast, which it did!

sopor, Sep 18, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 ounce bottle. This beer has a nearly black color with a tan head. The aroma is a little bit of roasted malt with fruit. Nutty malt flavor with a little bit of roastiness. Tangy fruit flavors as well. Astringenct is bothersome. The finish is bitter. Medium mouthfeel. This is a decent beer. Nothing too good, but certainly the best of the Arcadia sampler pack.

beveragecaptain, Sep 11, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +25.9%

Thanks to cmaruschak for the chance to sample this one.

Presentation: Label with the letter "B" notched on the side...whatever that means.

Appearance: A deep black carbonated pour with a thin sudsy tan head that quickly fades to some wispy lacing.

Smell: Deep, rich cocoa, oats, figs, all very pleasant and slightly sweet on the nose.

Taste: Rich cocoa, oats, and some chocolate bitterness upfront. A pleasanty grainy and slightly sweet chocolate finish. Fig newtons, cherry juice, and some cream notes pop up here and there. Very nicely done.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crispy due to the carbonation, and a nice lingering finish on the palate.

Drinkability: Perfect for a session. Nice character to keep you interested but not heavy at all. Quite a treat! Recommended.

mattcrill, Aug 21, 2005