Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Arcadia Whitsun Ale - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Whitsun AleArcadia Whitsun Ale

good

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-27-2002

Brewed with Michigan honey.
1062 OG; 17 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Whitsun Ale Alström Bros
1.24/5  rDev -64.5%

Blurry yellow-peach under a frothy and retaining eggshell head.
Dusty oranges and raw grain nose with plastic and rubber cement esters.

My God, I hope that this bottle is off.

Saccharine oranges, heavily astringent (look no further for a definition of the term) raw grains, flour, mothballs, lacto sourness and sticks of chalk. The chalk sense arrives last, and just clings long after the sip. Reprise of the spoiled milk afterward. Usually off-flavors are located right around a brew's periphery, and sometimes easy to ignore. Not here. Everything bad comes marching out right to the fore. A horrible, horrible parade right down Main St.
The big, heavy body just confounds everything, and intensifies the flaws.

This is the absolute worst tasting beer I've ever had. I couldn't get this into the sink fast enough. (829 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -47%

This was poured from the bottle into a Hoegaarden tumbler. It has an orange-like deep golden color with a decent head that dissipates pretty quickly for a wheat beer. The aroma is strongly fruity with traces of wheat malt. The flavor is overwhelmingly peach-like with a strong grapefruit-like finish. It has a smooth medium body with high carbonation.

I had a sip of my wife's Whitsun at the Michigan Beer Festival and I don't remember it like this. The flavors associated don't indicate any sort of infection or oxidation, so I have to assume this bottle is 'okay'. Honestly, this is the worst beer I've had in a while, but it's not bad enough to make me pour it down the drain out of respect for beer. I suppose if you're into strongly fruity fruit beers this would be to your liking. (789 characters)

One of the stranger beers I've had in awhile, and wasn't a huge fan.

The color is orange with a nearly nonexistent head, Little to no lace is left while drinking.

The smell is just plain strange. Reminds me of a tangerine or something. Not what I would classify as a nice smell.

The taste is sour, but not a pleasant sour. I love sour beers, especially Flanders Red and Lambics.. but this is just not good. Digging through the sour taste, I'm able to pick up slight hints of tropical fruit and apple.. but that's all I'm going to pick on up... as this is the rare drain pour.

It always pains me greatly to waste a beer, but this is borderline undrinkable. Hopefully nothing more than a bad bottle...

Have yet to try GumballHead, but this is no Oberon.

I won't be coming back to this one. (807 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -42.4%

Hazy pale yellow-orange body, heavy on the yellow. Pure white level foam head starts at three fingers but decays extremely rapidly. In fact, in less bright lighting, the beer quickly took on the appearance of a long standing ice tea.

Very faint aroma of lemon in a very vacant nose.

Light, "wheaty" start, hint of lemon. Nasty sour twang in the finish.

After the first minute or so, mouthfeel is basic flat.

Flat and sour equals poor drinkablity in a wheat ale.

No way to make a first impression. (512 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -40.4%

a -- dark yellow, to light orange in color, lots of head (foam came rushing out of the bottle as soon as it was opened)

s -- smells pretty much like your average wheat beer, with some odd tangy and cinnamon notes

t -- ugh. tastes like someone poured a bud, and then ever so lovingly mixed in an overly ripe orange, and a cinnamon pop tart.

m -- mouthfeel is fine. average.

d -- never again. (402 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -35%

That is one scary Sun Face on this bottle.

A-Cloudy, light brown 1/4 inch head from aggressive pour fell to a splotchly coat and collar. It is interesting that from the same variety 12-pack, I get this undercarb effect on this one and others were gushers.

S-Yeasty, bready, orangeade, fruity, spicy, not terrible,

T-not very complex, bready, yeasty and imitation orange flavors.

M-prickly carbonation and flat at the same time, thin and watery

D-Unfortunately, this was one a very few dumps for me, I just couldn't finish it. (530 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -33%

Brewed with English Pale malt, Belgian Munich Malt, Wheat Malt, and orange blossom honey. Hopped with Hallertau.

OG=1.064, 6.1% ABV.

Pours out to a cloudy golden with peach accents, forming a light-beige sea-foam head atop medium-sized bubbles with good retention and minimal lacing. Carbonation is moderately strong. Aroma is of lemony hops, mildly toasted pale malts, no detectable orange, coriander, banana or clove, and a hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel is rather soft and watery with a wet finish, despite it's strength. Taste begins with rather earthy hops with a lemon pith character and moderately strong intensity. Toasty grains have a pronounced tannic bitterness in the middle, followed by more earthy bitterness and a hint of peach. A hint of sulfur and corn is noticeable in aroma and taste towards the end. Bready and yeasty to an extent, but not pleasurable. Alcohol becomes astringent as it warms. Not very balanced, and not very drinkable either. I'll stick to Oberon, thank you. (997 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -32.4%

This beer was a nice cloudy copper colored pour. It seems to be trying to be everything tastewise -- sweet, spicy, orange/citrus, sour -- but it does not come together, and in the end, leaves an astringent feel in my mouth. One of several not very impressive brews spawned from the Pale Wheat Ale style. (303 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -30.7%

Notes Sep 9, 2008
Cloudy orange pour, with small white head. Sort of an odd aroma,like old ripe apple/orange,maybe some spice,flavor was much the same for me,kind of an old fruit flavor with some odd yeast notes. I sampled this twice,and came up with the same thing each time,just something here I am not liking much,. Arcadia has much better products than this one. Sorry just not for me. (391 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -30.4%

This does not measure up to a wheat beer that is marketed for spring/summer consumption. The flavor is somewhat astringent, almost like an average quality homebrew. The label gives this beer too much hype - i.e. honey, corriander, orange peel. Didn't get any of these flavors coming through. I think it should be filtered to showcase the ingredient profile. (357 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

This is a hazy orange beer. It smells like oranges. It tastes like very acidic wheat beer that someone has added orange syrup to. Maybe this is kinda what Berliner Wiesse is like? The mouthfeel is syrupy with acid sting. I am not into this beer. If you like oranges though, give it a try. (288 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

This is an odd beer, and as a representation of the American Pale Wheat style, this one just doesn't cut it. It looks good, with a nice amber hue not much lacing, some head retention. The nose has a very berry like flavor, in the neighborhood of blueberry, strawberry, raspberry.

The taste is definitely fruity, with that silly berry aroma coming into play in the taste. There is also a slight taut citrus flavor, some ABV in the background, a lousy aftertaste. Oh, This beer is a mess. Not good, down the drain it goes. (522 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -29.5%

The taste of coriander and orange peel is in the foreground, and the taste of beer is in the distant background. The effect was like drinking cold herbal tea in a glass that was unwashed since someone drank beer out of it. When I first poured it into a glass, I had high expectations. It's colorful in a glass. I normally have a high opinion of Arcadia Ales due to Sky High Rye, and I suppose I can give them credit for trying to be experimental with an offering such as Whitsun. I understand they may have wanted to give the center stage to coriander and orange peel, but I would preferred that stage to be shared with some bold hops. (635 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a particularly interesting brew. Pours cider orange with no head and no lace. Faintly hoppy nose, thin mouthfeel and taste. Orange citrus, some spice, some bitter hops, but quite subdued overall. Slightly metallic spritzy mouthfeel.

Light, drinkable, but uninspired. (271 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -28.1%

A-hazy orange with a creamy looking head that dissapates quickly leaving behind some spotty lacing

S-citrus,spice and fragrant dish soap

T-to much artifical tangarine like flavors for me it's hard to get past the solvent flavors and overwhelming sweetness

M-sticky,syrupy,and thin,with low carbonation that is all but completly gone about half way through

D-I've enjoyed others from Arcadia that were well above average,this one was a dissapointment for me,on to the next (475 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -27.8%

Quite hazy and sedimented medium yellow ochre with an illuminated back tone. Head is thin in the texture of the bubbles, rises to 1/4 of an inch with pretty good staying power. Laces are average in presentation, mostly non-interlocking downward dripping strings. Odd aromas, slightly citric as in citrons (candied fruit) with medicinal qualities. Mouthfeel has decent fine carbonation but is overly thick for style and verging on gloppy. Flavor starts fruity but too sweetened, some spice but is also lactic and almost like a mayonaise with tang and eggy notes. Still holds on to phenolic senses to the aftertaste. Strangely composed, I can often have trouble with this style, the spices sometimes strike me as odd, but in addition, this is too thick. (751 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -27.8%

12 oz bottle, I couldn’t find the date anywhere, poured into a weissen glass

A—pours hazy deep amber with no head, just mild fizz coming up from the bottom of the glass, some sediment rests on the bottom, too, no lacing is produced, either

S—wheat, citrus hops, butterscotch, orange, very sour, faint alcohol is there too

T—very sour, orange is strongest, tart and tangy, too much so for my taste, I don’t like this

M—slippery and slick, medium bodied, mild carbonation

D—it’s too sour, tart and tangy for me. I think I will avoid it in the future. (571 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -27.2%

The date-box on the side of the bottle looks like its notched Feb 5. This is July 13, must have been sitting in the store for a while.
It pours a nice golden bronze color. A nice soft brown shade. The head is, well I guess there isnt one. This one is screaming for more carbonation. It smells malty and sweet, and I notice a hint of citrus fruits lingering in the background. The taste doesnt quite seem what I expected. I dont believe this is true to the style. Its way too sweet, but the tart taste at the end of the sip is nice. It leaves a syrupy feel in my mouth after the drink. I dont really notice much flavor similar to a wheat ale. Not necessarily a bad beer, but I'm a little dissapointed. (701 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -26.6%

Trying to taste as many MI beers while I am here. Poured from a 12oz into pint glass. Hazy orange copper color. No head or lacing. Not much aroma. Pretty much none. Mild caramel with slight spice. Bit creamy feel. Minimal aftertaste / feel. Not much going on with this beer. Decent but not memorable. (300 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -24.1%

Darked than your average APWA, still has a cool lighting effect that almost makes the beer seem to glow a dark amber color. Head is not there, very odd for a Wheat beer. Smell is lightly sweet, with bread dough, light citrus, and some floral hops. Taste is plenty hoppy, but this is missing some of the essential flavors that a APWA must have. Not much of a banana flavor, not a lot of cloves, tastes more like an amber ale. Mouthfeel is too thick and muddied for the style, needs to be lighter and more crisp. Not a bad beer in any sense of the word just didn't find the style. (578 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -23.8%

This beer when poured formed a small sized tan head with fine-large sized bubbles that quickly dissipated.The body of this beer was very dense, carbonated and yeast was observed at the bottom of my glass.The hue reminded me of the hue of iced tea.The nose was light malts and hops and the flavor was tangy, tart and sweet.The mouthfeel was tingly, thin, watery and light bodied.This beer had no lacing. (402 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I bought at the new SAVE-ON Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio for $1.59. Very reasonable price as the broken up 6 pack was simply the price of the 6 pack divided by 6. Very BA friendly as far as an effort to try a lot of different beers. I picked this one up as I have just visited Arcadia in Battle Creek but they did not have this one on tap. Poured into my Brewery Ommegang Witte tumbler. "A" and "2" are indicated on the right side of the label. I am not sure what that means but it very well could be the "best by" date or possibly the "brewed on" date or even simply the batch that it was brewed in.

A Orange brown opaque, cloudy body under a frothy off white head that stuck around for about 1 minute and is now a thin layer of about 1 mm evenly across the top of the beer. There is a dark "cloud" sort of floating around in the middle of the tumbler. 3.5

S I certainly get the wheat smell of grains to the nose but I also get significant barley smell, not unlike a lager. I am not sure that I like this smell in this style. 2.5

T Yes, a little too much barley follows right into the taste from the nose. This tastes to me more like a nice, think lager with a bit of wheat brewed in. Kind of pedestrian, I am afraid. 2.5

M Some thickness but much less than I would like, again, has the consistency of a thick lager really. 2.5

D Fine but there are much better Wheat Ales out there. 3.0

Notes: Arcadia never did impress me too much. Their Jaw Jacker was probably their best that I have sampled but many of their other beers (and I am afraid this one is included) were pedestrian. (1,640 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -22.3%

Fumey, astringent, almost tannic. Alcohol. No malt character. Medium/light body, but still doesn't go down very easy. Singular. Simple, non-descript. Moderately bright hops -- lemon rind -- with a fluffy, saccharine sweetness. Odd yeast. Closer to a steam beer.

Relax, relax.
ng (282 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Review from memory. Had this on cask a couple weeks ago at the local beer bar. My first beer on cask.
Pour was an amber brown with minimal head. The smell was a sort of sweet woody smell, very little malt or wheat, especially for a wheat ale. Taste was even stronger of the sweet woody taste. Very little carbonation. Had trouble finishing this one.
I haven't had this beer except on cask, and I haven't had any beers on cask except this one, so I may not be the best judge either way, but in both accounts I was kind of disappointed. (534 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a rich amber color which is pleasantly surprising for a wheat beer. Aroma is sweet and sour, candy apple, a little spicy, and a touch of bubble gum. The flavor for me is a little too sweet, cloying. There is an orange peal bitterness that I'm just not digging. There is a good bit of hop bitterness as well thats not working for me in the flavor as well. Arcadia is one of the best breweries in Michigan but I just don't like this particular offering. (457 characters)

Arcadia Whitsun Ale from Arcadia Brewing Company