Arcadia Whitsun Ale - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Whitsun AleArcadia Whitsun Ale

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Brewed with Michigan honey.
1062 OG; 17 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-27-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Whitsun Ale Alström Bros

1.2/5  rDev -65.6%

Blurry yellow-peach under a frothy and retaining eggshell head.
Dusty oranges and raw grain nose with plastic and rubber cement esters.

My God, I hope that this bottle is off.

Saccharine oranges, heavily astringent (look no further for a definition of the term) raw grains, flour, mothballs, lacto sourness and sticks of chalk. The chalk sense arrives last, and just clings long after the sip. Reprise of the spoiled milk afterward. Usually off-flavors are located right around a brew's periphery, and sometimes easy to ignore. Not here. Everything bad comes marching out right to the fore. A horrible, horrible parade right down Main St.
The big, heavy body just confounds everything, and intensifies the flaws.

This is the absolute worst tasting beer I've ever had. I couldn't get this into the sink fast enough.

1.5/5  rDev -57%

1.8/5  rDev -48.4%

This was poured from the bottle into a Hoegaarden tumbler. It has an orange-like deep golden color with a decent head that dissipates pretty quickly for a wheat beer. The aroma is strongly fruity with traces of wheat malt. The flavor is overwhelmingly peach-like with a strong grapefruit-like finish. It has a smooth medium body with high carbonation.

I had a sip of my wife's Whitsun at the Michigan Beer Festival and I don't remember it like this. The flavors associated don't indicate any sort of infection or oxidation, so I have to assume this bottle is 'okay'. Honestly, this is the worst beer I've had in a while, but it's not bad enough to make me pour it down the drain out of respect for beer. I suppose if you're into strongly fruity fruit beers this would be to your liking.

One of the stranger beers I've had in awhile, and wasn't a huge fan.

The color is orange with a nearly nonexistent head, Little to no lace is left while drinking.

The smell is just plain strange. Reminds me of a tangerine or something. Not what I would classify as a nice smell.

The taste is sour, but not a pleasant sour. I love sour beers, especially Flanders Red and Lambics.. but this is just not good. Digging through the sour taste, I'm able to pick up slight hints of tropical fruit and apple.. but that's all I'm going to pick on up... as this is the rare drain pour.

It always pains me greatly to waste a beer, but this is borderline undrinkable. Hopefully nothing more than a bad bottle...

Have yet to try GumballHead, but this is no Oberon.

I won't be coming back to this one.

Hazy pale yellow-orange body, heavy on the yellow. Pure white level foam head starts at three fingers but decays extremely rapidly. In fact, in less bright lighting, the beer quickly took on the appearance of a long standing ice tea.

Very faint aroma of lemon in a very vacant nose.

Light, "wheaty" start, hint of lemon. Nasty sour twang in the finish.

After the first minute or so, mouthfeel is basic flat.

Flat and sour equals poor drinkablity in a wheat ale.

No way to make a first impression.

2.03/5  rDev -41.8%

a -- dark yellow, to light orange in color, lots of head (foam came rushing out of the bottle as soon as it was opened)

s -- smells pretty much like your average wheat beer, with some odd tangy and cinnamon notes

t -- ugh. tastes like someone poured a bud, and then ever so lovingly mixed in an overly ripe orange, and a cinnamon pop tart.

m -- mouthfeel is fine. average.

d -- never again.

2.08/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured from can into DuPont glass.. No dating

A- Hazy, but a very deep orange color. Hints of yellow on the edges. Nice inch of white, fluffy head. Delicate lacing left behind at top of glass.

S- Strong yeasty aroma off the bat- almost belgian like? Light oranges followed heavily by a grainy, wheat smell.

T/M- Fairly bland and feel is incredibly dull. Not very good at all actually. Esters have a fruit taste, but it is fake and hot. Weird bitterness that lingers on the back of the tongue. No carbonation! Slick and heavy. Just awkward feeling- its a dead liquid. Not fitting at all. I think this mouthfeel aspect is what hurts the taste as well.

O- Not at all what I thought or wanted it to be. I poured it out, not because I couldn't finish it, I just didn't want to. Not refreshing, crisp, flavorful, anything... Sad day

2.25/5  rDev -35.5%

That is one scary Sun Face on this bottle.

A-Cloudy, light brown 1/4 inch head from aggressive pour fell to a splotchly coat and collar. It is interesting that from the same variety 12-pack, I get this undercarb effect on this one and others were gushers.

S-Yeasty, bready, orangeade, fruity, spicy, not terrible,

T-not very complex, bready, yeasty and imitation orange flavors.

M-prickly carbonation and flat at the same time, thin and watery

D-Unfortunately, this was one a very few dumps for me, I just couldn't finish it.

2.25/5  rDev -35.5%

2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

This beer was a nice cloudy copper colored pour. It seems to be trying to be everything tastewise -- sweet, spicy, orange/citrus, sour -- but it does not come together, and in the end, leaves an astringent feel in my mouth. One of several not very impressive brews spawned from the Pale Wheat Ale style.

2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

Brewed with English Pale malt, Belgian Munich Malt, Wheat Malt, and orange blossom honey. Hopped with Hallertau.

OG=1.064, 6.1% ABV.

Pours out to a cloudy golden with peach accents, forming a light-beige sea-foam head atop medium-sized bubbles with good retention and minimal lacing. Carbonation is moderately strong. Aroma is of lemony hops, mildly toasted pale malts, no detectable orange, coriander, banana or clove, and a hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel is rather soft and watery with a wet finish, despite it's strength. Taste begins with rather earthy hops with a lemon pith character and moderately strong intensity. Toasty grains have a pronounced tannic bitterness in the middle, followed by more earthy bitterness and a hint of peach. A hint of sulfur and corn is noticeable in aroma and taste towards the end. Bready and yeasty to an extent, but not pleasurable. Alcohol becomes astringent as it warms. Not very balanced, and not very drinkable either. I'll stick to Oberon, thank you.

2.38/5  rDev -31.8%

This is an odd beer, and as a representation of the American Pale Wheat style, this one just doesn't cut it. It looks good, with a nice amber hue not much lacing, some head retention. The nose has a very berry like flavor, in the neighborhood of blueberry, strawberry, raspberry.

The taste is definitely fruity, with that silly berry aroma coming into play in the taste. There is also a slight taut citrus flavor, some ABV in the background, a lousy aftertaste. Oh, This beer is a mess. Not good, down the drain it goes.

2.38/5  rDev -31.8%

This does not measure up to a wheat beer that is marketed for spring/summer consumption. The flavor is somewhat astringent, almost like an average quality homebrew. The label gives this beer too much hype - i.e. honey, corriander, orange peel. Didn't get any of these flavors coming through. I think it should be filtered to showcase the ingredient profile.

2.4/5  rDev -31.2%

This is a hazy orange beer. It smells like oranges. It tastes like very acidic wheat beer that someone has added orange syrup to. Maybe this is kinda what Berliner Wiesse is like? The mouthfeel is syrupy with acid sting. I am not into this beer. If you like oranges though, give it a try.

Notes Sep 9, 2008
Cloudy orange pour, with small white head. Sort of an odd aroma,like old ripe apple/orange,maybe some spice,flavor was much the same for me,kind of an old fruit flavor with some odd yeast notes. I sampled this twice,and came up with the same thing each time,just something here I am not liking much,. Arcadia has much better products than this one. Sorry just not for me.

2.4/5  rDev -31.2%

The taste of coriander and orange peel is in the foreground, and the taste of beer is in the distant background. The effect was like drinking cold herbal tea in a glass that was unwashed since someone drank beer out of it. When I first poured it into a glass, I had high expectations. It's colorful in a glass. I normally have a high opinion of Arcadia Ales due to Sky High Rye, and I suppose I can give them credit for trying to be experimental with an offering such as Whitsun. I understand they may have wanted to give the center stage to coriander and orange peel, but I would preferred that stage to be shared with some bold hops.

2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

12 oz bottle, I couldn’t find the date anywhere, poured into a weissen glass

A—pours hazy deep amber with no head, just mild fizz coming up from the bottom of the glass, some sediment rests on the bottom, too, no lacing is produced, either

S—wheat, citrus hops, butterscotch, orange, very sour, faint alcohol is there too

T—very sour, orange is strongest, tart and tangy, too much so for my taste, I don’t like this

M—slippery and slick, medium bodied, mild carbonation

D—it’s too sour, tart and tangy for me. I think I will avoid it in the future.

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%