Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Arcadia Whitsun Ale - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Whitsun AleArcadia Whitsun Ale

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-27-2002

Brewed with Michigan honey.
1062 OG; 17 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Whitsun Ale Alström Bros
3.79/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours an orangish-golden color with a centimeter thick head that dissipates quickly. Leaves a soapy-like lacing. There's chunks of yeast floating in the glass also.

Smell - The orange zest is the most dominant aroma, it's nice. Followed by citrus, honey, feint coriander, wheat, and hops.

Taste - The coriander is a little strong, it's quite hoppy also. Citrus, orange zest, honey, pepper, and wheat. Slight bitterness in the finish. Possibly some clove in this but I'm not 100% sure..

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - It was a little spicier than I was hoping for but it's still good. Seems more like a witbier in my opinion.

4.02/5  rDev +14.9%

Kind of tan to orange colored, mostly clear, head was fair and about a finger, lacing was pretty good.

Wheat is big on the nose. Honey and citrus, a little floral and some grassiness. Taste is similar but a little more fruity and citrus, very nice!

Body is great, IMO, very soft and luscious on the tongue, easy to drink, very full for a pale wheat. I like the body a lot tho, regardless of whatever the style is supposed to be, so I'm rating it highly in this area.

This is actually an excellent pale wheat ale, and the fact it's in cans makes me even more ready to pick up another sixer. Perfect fishin' beer.

3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

I picked up a bottle of Arcadia's Whitsun Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I have had this beer before and I thought it was ok, but I was told they changed the recipe so I thought I would review it and see how this beer stacks up to it's biggest competitor. Oberon, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on March 5th 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Weizen Glass.

A- The label looks ok, but I think Oberon's is much better. It poured a nice burnt orange color that was somewhat clear and had a nice orange tint when held to the light with three fingers worth of velvety head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left hardly any lacing. This is a good looking beer, but I wish it had some lacing.

S- The first thing I pick up in the aroma is a good amount of wheat followed by some orange rind and coriander. After that I get a pretty noticeable earthy honey aroma that really sticks out in this beer and gives it an earthy mead like aroma. This beer had a pretty unique aroma for that style, the honey makes it really different, it's ok but to me the heavy honey aroma seems out of place.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma. It starts off with a lighter malty and wheaty flavor followed by some orange rinds and some coriander. After that I get a higher amount of medium sweetness with a pretty heavy earthy honey flavors. On the finish I get s low amount of bitterness and a sweet malty orange rind flavored aftertaste. The taste is just ok, much like the aroma the honey is a little too dominate and overshadows all those spicy, wheaty and citrus flavors that I like and expect from the style.

M- Smooth, slightly crisp, with a lighter amount of medium body and a high amount of medium carbonation that is slightly prickly. This beer had a pretty average mouthfeel.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought that it was a pretty average example of an American Pale Wheat Ale, the heavy honey aspect that makes this beer lack the balance that comes with a good American Pale Wheat Ale. This beer had ok drinkability it went down smooth, but the flavor couldn't hold my attention so one is enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it looked nice and I thought the color was really good looking. What I liked least about this beer was the heavy honey aspect that seemed out of place in this beer. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would much rather have an Oberon, I would tell someone to drink an Oberon instead of this beer, it's a much better example of the style. This was another underwhelming beer for Arcadia, it seems like they can make some pretty good dark beers but I haven't been impressed with most of their lighter beers. I had this beer side by side with Oberon, and Oberon was pretty much better in every aspect, it is much more fitting to drink on a warm summer afternoon in Michigan. I think I may have liked this better before the recipe change, the honey is too dominant, this beer needs another recipe change and they can start with cutting out a lot of that honey, better luck next time guys.

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

12 ounce bottle into weizen glass, bottled 6/14/2011. A bit too old but lets give it a shot. Pours to instant head after a loud release of carbonation upon opening(no gusher though). Eventually turns out to be a hazy and cloudy deep orange color with a dense and fluffy 2-3 finger off white head with great retention that reduces to a thick cap that lingers. Some slight bits of lacing cling to the glass. The yeast seems to have clumped up and is floating around in the glass like bits of ground pepper. Aromas of orange peel, lemon, coriander, light pepper, bread, and not much else. Pretty weak aromas without much complexity; but not offensive. Taste of orange peel, pepper, coriander, wheat, spicy yeast, and breadiness. Some lingering notes of bread, wheat, orange, and spiciness on the finish for a bit. Medium body and carbonation; with a bit of a creamy mouthfeel that drinks very smoothly. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming after the finish. Other than the grainy appearance and weak aromas; this was pretty solid stuff. Good balance of flavors and easy drinking.

Found this review while going through an old beer notebook of mine.

This beer pours a hazy golden orangish color. It has about a finger of white head on it. The head doesn't have the best retention, and it leaves behind just a little bit of scattered lace on the glass. The nose has a good amount of wheat and lemony city aromas. There are also some scents of oranges, spice, and a tiny bit of hop presence. The taste pretty much follows the nose. It starts off with some grainy malt and wheat. There are some bright fruit flavors and just a little bit of hop flavor. There is quite a bit of lemony citrus, mostly on the back end. The finish leaves some lingering wheat, spice, and citrus on the palate. This beer has a medium body and decent carbonation. It goes down easy and has a smooth feel to it. It has a refreshing quality to it, and there is some graininess as well. This has decent drinkability. It goes down easy, but it just doesn't stand up to a lot of the witbiers that I've had. I think it is worth a try, but don't expect too much out of it.

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

Thanks to the legend woodychandler for yet another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of oranges and spices. Taste is very flavorful, oranges, spices, a bit on the sweet side. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a quality beer.

3.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A nice clear reddish-amber pour. Decent white head, okay retention and lacing.

S: Honey, orange and wheat primarily.

T: Very wheaty, spicy coriander/pepper with some decent orange in there. Can't really pick up the honey that I can smell.

M: Medium body, nothing out of the ordinary.

O: Nothing special, pretty simple wheaty beer not unlike a blue moon.

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a lovely golden color, with about a finger worth of head that dissipated pretty quickly, leaving a soapy layer on top. Almost no lacing.

S - Wheat, orange zest, and coriander. Not very complex, but appetizing nonetheless.

T - The orange is noticeable, and there's some sweet-wheat going on... funky spiciness that I'm not too sure about. Bitter finish.

M - Creamy with very fine carbonation. This one goes down nice and smooth.

O - It's nothing to write home about, but I wasn't really disappointed either. There are better renditions of this style, but it came in a sampler pack with other beers that I know I like. So-so.

3.45/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The color is a mostly clear hazy copper color with a tangerine edge. A bubbly off-white head fades to a ring shortly after pouring.

Smell: The aroma is full of soft wheat, some citrus zest, a bit of honey, coriander and spice, and a bit of grass.

Taste: The flavor starts out sweet but turns to a mostly simple pale wheat flavor for most of the sip. Some orange zest and coriander are noticeable in the middle along with a medicinal phenol, and the end has a bit of oily grass.

Mouthfeel: There is an unfortunate oiliness to the feel that I cannot understand the origins of. Other than that, the carbonation is crisp, which is typical for the style. The body is a little bit fuller than average compared to other pale wheat ales I have had.

Overall: Maybe I would like this better on a warm summer day, but I did not really connect with this beer. The flavor is ok, but the mouthfeel is not that good.

3.24/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a hazy, copper color. 5/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of slight honey, sweet malt, slight citrus (orange), and a hint of hop. Fits the style of an American Pale Wheat Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of slight honey, hint of wheat, slight sweet malt, hint of citrus, and a hint of hops. Overall, great appearance, but lacking in aroma and body.

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

Bought a 12 FL Oz can of this from the Tin Can Tavern & Grille in St. Louis (Locust Location), MO for $4.75. Poured from the bright yellow can with a orange on it & grass on the bottom of the can into a 16oz Pint Glass. No freshness date to be found.

Aroma- A VERY strong Orange Soda aroma starts it off (a definite Fanta aroma, so I went in for a drink to make sure this was actually beer!). Tons of wheat follow this sweet beginning.

Appearance- Pours a .5 finger head that dies quickly. Has a very cloudy body with a dark orange, almost amber colored body. Usually pale yellow to gold. Clarity may range from brilliant to hazy with yeast approximating the German hefeweizen style of beer. Big, long-lasting white head.

Flavor- Has a ton of wheat flavor but then not much sweetness or the orange aroma that I experienced in the aroma. Very dry finish and actually, a bit of rye seems like it was brewed into it.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, and then nothing special. Wheaty finish.

Overall Impression- Going in for the smell, it started off like it was going to be a killer summer beer! This all changed after the taste... Not enough body and the orange flavor almost never came up... Either way, I'm going to be sticking to my Wheach when I want a great, refreshing brew for the summer. Wouldn't mind trying this one on-tap though.

2.84/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy dense orange, great fluffy white head and sticky lacing. It's a really good looking beer; sediment noticeable. The aromas are kind of sour. I'm picking up some citrus, especially orange. More orange peel in the flavors, along with some spices. Coriander is noticeable in the nose and flavors. Honey makes its presense known as well. The yeast is there, lacks hops. Mouthfeel is nice, smooth, light, and nicely carbonated.. I just wish it was a little more crisp. Nice beer, I just wish it had more spunk.

This beer is kind of different, it's nice, but nothing special at all. Something is off in the flavors, which really hurts. It's definitely something appropriate for the warmer weather. And I will admit the more I sip, the more I enjoy.. but it's still flawed.

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

12oz can poured into a pint glass
A: Hazy amber color; two-finger head that lingers
S: Somewhat muted, but getting peach pulp and hints of citrus and a tea.
T: Again, peach and tea with a bit of bready malt and a hint of citrus and coriander.
M: Fairly light, smooth.
O: I enjoyed just sipping this during a football game. Pleasant, and a bit of good complexity.

2.77/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy light amber color with two fingers of off white head. The head disappears completely leaving no trace.

Smell: Strong yeast along with citrus and spice. There is a mild tartness to it.

Taste: There is a ton of coriander in this beer. I'm picking up some citrus and wheat as well. There is a slight sourness to it, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be there, but it actually is one of my favorite parts. Not wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: The sourness should have been stronger. I didn't really get this beer and I wouldn't have it again.

2.46/5  rDev -29.7%

The taste of coriander and orange peel is in the foreground, and the taste of beer is in the distant background. The effect was like drinking cold herbal tea in a glass that was unwashed since someone drank beer out of it. When I first poured it into a glass, I had high expectations. It's colorful in a glass. I normally have a high opinion of Arcadia Ales due to Sky High Rye, and I suppose I can give them credit for trying to be experimental with an offering such as Whitsun. I understand they may have wanted to give the center stage to coriander and orange peel, but I would preferred that stage to be shared with some bold hops.

3.72/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a murky orange a bit of soda-pop head.

S: Not too much here. A bit of orange, some hops and slight yeast profile.

T: Orange and citrus fruits shine, the yeast makes a surprisingly clear impression. It's not too sweet at all (thank God!) and is very well rounded and balanced. It is just a little on the bland side, however.

D: Nice little extra kick from the ABV is completely unapparent. Mouthfeel is crisp and slightly oily.

Overall: Won't become anyone's favorite, but this is a great little easy drinking summer ale with a decent amount of strength and at $8.50 for six 12oz cans its perfect for hiking, boating, or other summer excursions. Solid beer!

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

Drinking this straight out of the can boo ya!

A- Very hazy, pale body like most unfiltered wheat beers.

S- A light smell of citrus

T- Light, the citrus comes out on the back end.

M- Very nice body, has a nice thickness that you can enjoy.

O- This is a very nice white beer, I think the citrus comes out a bit more than the spices but still having this from a can on a hot day is great.

3.56/5  rDev +1.7%

Many thanks to GordianKnot for the chance to taste this one- never heard of this beer, but always dig craft in a can! Poured from can into my brooklyn tulip. Pours a murky orange color, crazy thick milky head, nice retention. Smell- Orange juice from concentrate- something like Minute Maid? Some lactose flavors- creamy. Maybe a hint of nutmeg spice. Taste- there is that orange juice concentrate flavor, but it is at the back of the throat. Just a little astringent. On the front of the mouth, it is nice and refreshing, light and airy flavors, it doesn't remind me of any wit I have ever had- I would have expected more citrus, more spice, more coriander, etc. But, there is some individuality going on here that I can really appreciate. Overall, this is a nice beer that I could see drinking on a hot summer day quite often, esp because it is canned.

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A moderate pour yielded two fingers of a very active head with rather large bubbles under a top clumpy layer. The bubbles dissipated in a couple of minutes, leaving a bit of the clumpy layer up top. The body is a murky yellow-orange color with a lot of carbonation rushing up to the top.

Pine. After the pine the nose gets broader, featuring the orange, coriander and spiced bread notes.

Whoa, orange and tangerine. This is the first flavor that greets you. The pine peeks in, but only enough to balance the orange, then the spiced bread takes over. Coriander on the end is a pleasant taste that sticks with you.

It seems light bodied as it goes down so quickly and easily. It definitely dries your tongue out. Just enough carbonation to make it a quick but pleasant drink. My only gripe is that is goes so quickly.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In a pint glass the beer was a hazy amber color with a small off-white head.

Outdoors aroma. Spicy. Some fruit, rather sweet. A little on the faint side.

Spicy coriander taste. A little orange.

On the lighter side.

Nice enough, nothing to write home about.

3.85/5  rDev +10%

Pours a slighly hazy yellow body with a two-finger off-white head. Not much lacing left around after the head dissipates.

Light aroma; some citrus, lemon and orange, plus a bit of grainy wheat. Not too bold.

Well now...the flavor is a little better than the aroma. Definite notes of the orange peel, spices and coriander. Borders on a witbier with the spices rather than an American Pale Wheat. Good flavor mix overall.

Easy to drink and would be a summer staple for me if I could get is regularly in my area.

4.34/5  rDev +24%

CAN you believe I am only the second person to review this beer from a CAN?!? Not even GrappyPunk, who sent it to me, has reviewed this particular serving type. Many thanks for the trade and always keep me in mind for new CANs.

From the CAN: "Unfiltered. Unpasteurized. Uncompromised."; "Wheat Ale Brewed with Spices (Coriander & Orange Peel)".

The Crack & Glug was music to my ears and as the two fingers of eggshell-white head began to form, the room filled with the scent of orange zest. Drool! The color was a very cloudy orangish-amber. The nose was definitely orange peel/zest, but underlain by the spiciness of the coriander and the unmistakable lightness of ... no, not being, that is unbearable, but instead, wheat. Mouthfeel was slightly thin, which is not unusual in wheat beers and the immediate flavors were of the coriander's spiciness and the zestiness of the orange peel, followed by the sharp tartness of the wheat. This was a beer whose principal ingredients really worked well together and were exactly as advertised. Finish was light, dry, refreshing and perfect for yet another slow summer day. I would absolutely put this in my cooler, certainly during the summer, but also as a nice pick-me-up on Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually).

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: A copper-yellow in color, with a bit of head that fades away to a ring of lace.

S: The aroma is subtle and you really have to look for it. The only thing present is a trace of belgian yeast. Interesting when you consider the style.

T: The taste hints of orange that my friend describes as sherbet-like in that it's not real orange but more like the essence. It's also a bit sweet for my taste but there is a crispness in the finish. It's balanced.

O: At 6% ABV, it's got some kick but it's not a great beer. However, it's one I'd like to try again.

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Bottled-on date marked on back of neck.

Pours a hazed, honey-amber. Many chunks of stuff floating around.. perhaps I poured too hard. Much yeast sludge in bottom of bottle! An off-white head rings up and sticks. The smell is coriander and citrus zest. Taste is a whopping smack of coriander! Seriously, tons of flavor in this brew. I detect some honey. The orange peel comes through afterward, intense as well. Can't help but feel tart & thick, like OJ. A good drinker due to the supposed ingredient generosity. Nice ale.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip. Murky brown unfiltered color and a white frothy head due to the awesome glass and aggressive pour. Nose of citrus and spice. Quite tasty and refreshing. Slightly more flavorful than your average wheat based brew. Interesting mouthfeel. On the heavy side of refreshing. Would drink again.

Arcadia Whitsun Ale from Arcadia Brewing Company