Arcadia IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

good

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.00% ABV

1060 OG; 41 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-29-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

RxLeyland

Colorado

01-04-2013 06:38:24 | More by RxLeyland
McLovinBeast57

Not so much of a review, but more of a complaint... Had a bottle last night, and as soon as I opened it, it overflowed with foam, leaving me with about half a bottle to drink. I thought something must have happened to that particular bottle but I just cracked another one open and it sprayed all over the entire kitchen. This time the entire bottle was gone.

Seeing as how I'm not the only one with this problem, you would think that Arcadia would have enough common sense not to send out shipments of "bottle bomb" beers. Waste of time and money.

03-06-2014 03:52:58 | More by McLovinBeast57
MaltyGoodness

1.5/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz. bottle thanks to the immaculate beermanbrian

Pours a very hazy copper color with an explosive head. Lots of floaties in the beer as well as clinging to the side of the glass. Thick lacing on the glass.

Some hops and malt are detectable in the smell, but it's otherwise dominated by a slightly cidery and very oxidized aroma.

Tastes just like it smells.

Medium body, very overcarbonated.

I managed to drink enough to properly review it, and down the drain she goes. Apparently these guys have some bottling issues, as it's mentioned by a lot of reviewers. For shame..

08-03-2006 21:58:53 | More by MaltyGoodness
Soonami

1.65/5  rDev -52.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Unimpressed by Arcadia IPA. There are some very obvious defects in this beer, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this. First and foremost, in the aroma, I smell that plastic-y, band-aid, chlorinated smell that I usually correlate with contamination or a hot fermentation. Also, the fact that it's overcarbonated means that it could be an infection. There is bitterness, but this is not a good tasting beer with characteristics that I like. If it's not contaminated, then this is a poorly made beer and either way, I recommend against buying and or drinking this beer.

11-05-2010 05:45:47 | More by Soonami
JDV

1.68/5  rDev -52%

On tap at the Maproom. Pours a rich hazy amber with little head. Smell is like band-aids and malt with no real hops in the nose. Taste is thin, gooey, stale malt and again just a lackluster hop profile. This one was pretty much undrinkable as it was served to me. Thin flavor aside from what was already unappealing.

06-30-2008 19:39:51 | More by JDV
schellsbeer

1.7/5  rDev -51.4%

HIGH carbonation. Too high....way too high.

Old. We will sure find out. Picked up on a whim. Good thing I just got one bottle.

A - High carbonation. Still waiting for the huge head to disappear. Waiting...2 minutes...still waiting... 4 minutes and the bottle is still not all in my glass. Otherwise, nice orange brown color. Light orange bubbles.

S - A little pine but not like your classic IPA. Citrus smell but light and small. Hops sure don't hit me in the face like I like. On to the taste...

T - After waiting a full 5 minutes, I can now experience my first taste of this brew. Bitter but not like an IPA should taste. The wrong type of bitter. It is like the brewer tried to rush the beer making process for this beer. Didn't really care about the final product. Overall, not impressed as far as IPAs go. Very light on the hops. Makes me want to cough after each drink. Just tried pouring the last part of the bottle into my glass and it overflowed once again. Not worth my time. Drain pour....here we come. Not willing to wait for this any more.

M - Bitter...can taste on lips. Too many bubbles.

D - Nope.

Review meet drain. Good bye Arcadia IPA. Nice to now know you any more.

11-30-2008 05:37:05 | More by schellsbeer
claminat420

1.95/5  rDev -44.3%

A- pours a hazy golden color with a frothy white head. medium lacing.

S- smells like some fruity yeast. maybe alil raisony. i thought this was an ipa??

T- just how it smells. it does have some weird plastic-like taste to it. once again where are the hops?

M- light bodied. alil over carbonated if you ask me.

D- last 6 pack i'll ever buy.

Overall- this brew and company blows. the only thing i ever tasted that was worth anything from arcadia was their scotch ale. i'm gonna give the last 4 out of the 6 to my cousin cuz i would rather have my huma's. i really had hopes for this company. i heard within the year or so they got a new headbrewer. i thought of that and their new labels might have been better but still the same... THEY SAY ENGLISH BUT THEY MEAN CRAP!

11-14-2010 05:12:14 | More by claminat420

Ontario (Canada)

05-24-2013 22:19:18 | More by hotsudge
timmy2b

2.17/5  rDev -38%

Bottle poured into a pint glass, poured with a heavy head that forced me to stop pouring to wait for head to decrease, first time thats happened in a while

Has a lighter mouthfeel but is has a slightly bitter and has a fruity aftertaste

has a very nice color and a white/offwhite head to it

The English Barley smell is nice, but is a little strong, almost overwhelming

Going to finish drinking this one,but I will not be heading back out to the store to get any more. I would expect a different taste and a lot more out of an IPA

12-06-2007 22:43:42 | More by timmy2b
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.3/5  rDev -34.3%

Pours a good, white head that leaves a lot of lace. Hops throughout, the malts are trying to come through but just don't make it. Don't get me wrong this a good IPA, light to medium bodied - I just don't like them. Bitter finish with a lingering aftertaste.

07-07-2003 15:51:09 | More by jdhilt
shbobdb

Indiana

2.35/5  rDev -32.9%

What a strange brew! It pours a pleasant bronze with a beautiful head. It starts out full, almost (dare I say it) Duvel-esque. The head refuses to collapse for some time and whe it finally does, it collapses into a centimeter of fizz that resembles cotton candy.
The beer's redeeming qualities seem to end there. The taste is . . fruity. Very, very fruity. I was expecting hops from an IPA, but instead I get what I feel are yeast esters.
The sip tastes berry-like at first. Boisenberry, or perhaps mullberry, to be precise. It is followed by a mild malty "beery" flavour. Then, the beer finishes with an interesting spiciness. It remindes me of the way Saaz hops taste, but they normally come into play at the fore rather than finale of beers.
Strange brew. Not the IPA I was lookin' for.
Good news is, I've got some Goose Island IPA waiting for me in the fridge.

02-25-2006 19:42:34 | More by shbobdb
MrMcGibblets

2.35/5  rDev -32.9%

no freshness date so i can't tell if my issues with this beer are due to freshness. purchased as a single at naperville binny's this week.
A: hazy copper/amber. lasting off-white head and lacing.
S: has a soapy, sourish character, maybe a bit funky. some earthy notes and caramel malt underneath.
T: very light malt sweetness and again some sourness. the hops have a soapy, astringent quality.
M: nicely carbonated, but the sour and soapy tinge hurt it again here. light to medium body.
O: definitely something off here, not that i am a huge fan of english ipa's to begin with. drain pour unfortunately.

07-01-2011 02:06:46 | More by MrMcGibblets
Hautacam

Connecticut

2.38/5  rDev -32%

Hazy amber...foamy head that drops quickly....not much lacing.
Faint floral hop smell....some metal.
Flavor is kind of weak....slightly metallic bready malt...mild citrus hops.
Mouthfeel is also on the light side. carbonation was medium.
Overall , just not that great...too weak is all aspects. Thin.

04-27-2007 21:50:52 | More by Hautacam
phisig137

2.45/5  rDev -30%

Pours a slightly hazy amber color, with a creamy one finger head. Decent retention leaves behind a good amount of thick lace. Label is punched C4... whatever that means

Aroma is not so hot. Loads of buttery diacetyl, and some faint stale hops. Not very pleasant.

Flavor is much the same. Big time diacetyl, slight caramel malt sweetness, and zero hop flavor. Smooth bitter finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and relatively light. Drinkability is decent.

An overall lackluster IPA, an a poorly made one at that. Way too much diacetyl/butterscotch. Zero hop aroma or flavor. I'm glad I got this bottle for free.... I would have been severly disappointed if I paid for it. Even getting it for free, I wouldn't take another free one home if it were offered. Don't bother...

04-07-2007 02:13:29 | More by phisig137
spartanfan

2.48/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz with no date.

A: pours a nice amber color with a good amount of suspended sediment. Head is a light beige color and leaves good lacing behind.

S: aroma is not very pleasing to me. Smells of Belgian yeast, and a little like hand cream. It's not good...

T: taste at first reminds me of a pbr. Up front sweetness with a faint trailing hint of bitterness. The hops really are hard to find in this one.

M: carbonation is spot on in this one. Medium light body. Certainly very drinkable.

O: I was hoping for more from this one. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be old, but without a bottle date I have no way of telling.

02-22-2012 01:02:53 | More by spartanfan