Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Arcadia IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia IPAArcadia IPA

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-29-2002

1060 OG; 41 IBU
1.5/5  rDev -57.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz. bottle thanks to the immaculate beermanbrian

Pours a very hazy copper color with an explosive head. Lots of floaties in the beer as well as clinging to the side of the glass. Thick lacing on the glass.

Some hops and malt are detectable in the smell, but it's otherwise dominated by a slightly cidery and very oxidized aroma.

Tastes just like it smells.

Medium body, very overcarbonated.

I managed to drink enough to properly review it, and down the drain she goes. Apparently these guys have some bottling issues, as it's mentioned by a lot of reviewers. For shame..

1.67/5  rDev -53%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Unimpressed by Arcadia IPA. There are some very obvious defects in this beer, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this. First and foremost, in the aroma, I smell that plastic-y, band-aid, chlorinated smell that I usually correlate with contamination or a hot fermentation. Also, the fact that it's overcarbonated means that it could be an infection. There is bitterness, but this is not a good tasting beer with characteristics that I like. If it's not contaminated, then this is a poorly made beer and either way, I recommend against buying and or drinking this beer.

1.69/5  rDev -52.4%

HIGH carbonation. Too high....way too high.

Old. We will sure find out. Picked up on a whim. Good thing I just got one bottle.

A - High carbonation. Still waiting for the huge head to disappear. Waiting...2 minutes...still waiting... 4 minutes and the bottle is still not all in my glass. Otherwise, nice orange brown color. Light orange bubbles.

S - A little pine but not like your classic IPA. Citrus smell but light and small. Hops sure don't hit me in the face like I like. On to the taste...

T - After waiting a full 5 minutes, I can now experience my first taste of this brew. Bitter but not like an IPA should taste. The wrong type of bitter. It is like the brewer tried to rush the beer making process for this beer. Didn't really care about the final product. Overall, not impressed as far as IPAs go. Very light on the hops. Makes me want to cough after each drink. Just tried pouring the last part of the bottle into my glass and it overflowed once again. Not worth my time. Drain pour....here we come. Not willing to wait for this any more.

M - Bitter...can taste on lips. Too many bubbles.

D - Nope.

Review meet drain. Good bye Arcadia IPA. Nice to now know you any more.

1.7/5  rDev -52.1%

On tap at the Maproom. Pours a rich hazy amber with little head. Smell is like band-aids and malt with no real hops in the nose. Taste is thin, gooey, stale malt and again just a lackluster hop profile. This one was pretty much undrinkable as it was served to me. Thin flavor aside from what was already unappealing.

1.97/5  rDev -44.5%

A- pours a hazy golden color with a frothy white head. medium lacing.

S- smells like some fruity yeast. maybe alil raisony. i thought this was an ipa??

T- just how it smells. it does have some weird plastic-like taste to it. once again where are the hops?

M- light bodied. alil over carbonated if you ask me.

D- last 6 pack i'll ever buy.

Overall- this brew and company blows. the only thing i ever tasted that was worth anything from arcadia was their scotch ale. i'm gonna give the last 4 out of the 6 to my cousin cuz i would rather have my huma's. i really had hopes for this company. i heard within the year or so they got a new headbrewer. i thought of that and their new labels might have been better but still the same... THEY SAY ENGLISH BUT THEY MEAN CRAP!

This was not good. Super foamy, carbonated, almost sour flavor with mild hop bitterness. This is the strangest ipa I have ever had. Lost of sediment in there too, and not in a good way. Sometimes it can be appealing, this looked like dirt and sand.

Won't seek out or purchase again.

2.19/5  rDev -38.3%

Bottle poured into a pint glass, poured with a heavy head that forced me to stop pouring to wait for head to decrease, first time thats happened in a while

Has a lighter mouthfeel but is has a slightly bitter and has a fruity aftertaste

has a very nice color and a white/offwhite head to it

The English Barley smell is nice, but is a little strong, almost overwhelming

Going to finish drinking this one,but I will not be heading back out to the store to get any more. I would expect a different taste and a lot more out of an IPA

2.36/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a good, white head that leaves a lot of lace. Hops throughout, the malts are trying to come through but just don't make it. Don't get me wrong this a good IPA, light to medium bodied - I just don't like them. Bitter finish with a lingering aftertaste.

2.38/5  rDev -33%

What a strange brew! It pours a pleasant bronze with a beautiful head. It starts out full, almost (dare I say it) Duvel-esque. The head refuses to collapse for some time and whe it finally does, it collapses into a centimeter of fizz that resembles cotton candy.
The beer's redeeming qualities seem to end there. The taste is . . fruity. Very, very fruity. I was expecting hops from an IPA, but instead I get what I feel are yeast esters.
The sip tastes berry-like at first. Boisenberry, or perhaps mullberry, to be precise. It is followed by a mild malty "beery" flavour. Then, the beer finishes with an interesting spiciness. It remindes me of the way Saaz hops taste, but they normally come into play at the fore rather than finale of beers.
Strange brew. Not the IPA I was lookin' for.
Good news is, I've got some Goose Island IPA waiting for me in the fridge.

2.39/5  rDev -32.7%

no freshness date so i can't tell if my issues with this beer are due to freshness. purchased as a single at naperville binny's this week.
A: hazy copper/amber. lasting off-white head and lacing.
S: has a soapy, sourish character, maybe a bit funky. some earthy notes and caramel malt underneath.
T: very light malt sweetness and again some sourness. the hops have a soapy, astringent quality.
M: nicely carbonated, but the sour and soapy tinge hurt it again here. light to medium body.
O: definitely something off here, not that i am a huge fan of english ipa's to begin with. drain pour unfortunately.

2.43/5  rDev -31.5%

Hazy amber...foamy head that drops quickly....not much lacing.
Faint floral hop smell....some metal.
Flavor is kind of weak....slightly metallic bready malt...mild citrus hops.
Mouthfeel is also on the light side. carbonation was medium.
Overall , just not that great...too weak is all aspects. Thin.

2.47/5  rDev -30.4%

Pours a slightly hazy amber color, with a creamy one finger head. Decent retention leaves behind a good amount of thick lace. Label is punched C4... whatever that means

Aroma is not so hot. Loads of buttery diacetyl, and some faint stale hops. Not very pleasant.

Flavor is much the same. Big time diacetyl, slight caramel malt sweetness, and zero hop flavor. Smooth bitter finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and relatively light. Drinkability is decent.

An overall lackluster IPA, an a poorly made one at that. Way too much diacetyl/butterscotch. Zero hop aroma or flavor. I'm glad I got this bottle for free.... I would have been severly disappointed if I paid for it. Even getting it for free, I wouldn't take another free one home if it were offered. Don't bother...

2.52/5  rDev -29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz with no date.

A: pours a nice amber color with a good amount of suspended sediment. Head is a light beige color and leaves good lacing behind.

S: aroma is not very pleasing to me. Smells of Belgian yeast, and a little like hand cream. It's not good...

T: taste at first reminds me of a pbr. Up front sweetness with a faint trailing hint of bitterness. The hops really are hard to find in this one.

M: carbonation is spot on in this one. Medium light body. Certainly very drinkable.

O: I was hoping for more from this one. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be old, but without a bottle date I have no way of telling.

2.62/5  rDev -26.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy amber with a large fluffy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is grains and an odd mint and floral burnt plastic leather hoppiness.

The flavor is a little odd as well - some sweet fruity malts with a leathery ashy floral hoppiness that has a decent level of bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium with smooth carbonation.

Overall, I didn't really care for this one. It had a bunch of strange notes to it.

2.65/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours an unimpressive hazed dark copper with a non-existent head. Small particles can be seen suspended in the beer. I hope they are flavorful.

Smell is quite subdued. I wouldn't have guessed this was an IPA from the smell. The only thing I can detect is lemon and honey. Like grandma used to mix for a sore throat. Pretty weak still.

Taste is also on the subdued side, but some hop bitterness is noted (even if it quickly fades). No real zing to this one. I'm disappointed.

Mouthfeel is on the prickly side, but not soda like. In addition it has a slight wateriness to it that makes it seem hollow.

Drinkability is OK. It is an unoffensive beer that doesn't seem to try to hard.

2.66/5  rDev -25.1%

I am at a loss. What to do with this beer / review. This is not at all what I expected from an English IPA. I actually went back to check the bottle and make sure I got it right. There is a big farmhouse funkiness that is just not right. What is up? Maybe this particular bottle is infected I looked at other comments and no mention the sourness. Yes it is floral and acidic. A perfumey minty nose with a grapefruit pine flavor, but in both there is a rotten peach sourness that might be what I was looking for in a Lambic but makes a bad IPA.

I will try another bottle. Maybe this one was mishandled but I am not a fan.

Hope this is helpful.

2.73/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a golden amber with low transparency the head is a delicious looking almond,with good retention and some lace that slides away with the head. The nose is hoppy sweet and fruity. This one tastes extra malty for an IPA,with less hops than I expected judging by the nose. I taste orange rind along with some fresh fruity hops,and a light caramely finish. The body is medium and pretty sticky with carbonation being on the lower end of the spectrum,slightly dry finish. For me this offering by Arcadia misses the mark when it comes to hoppage,the rest is acceptable.

2.74/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured a darker amber with a big fluffy head. Lots of lacing and big bubbles that stuck around for the entire beverage.

Smelled like a mix of Belgian yeast and malts, with a hint of citrus and grass.

Taste wasn't pleasing. Good balance of bitter and sweet, but it reminded me of salt water. Orange peels, malts and grassy flavors were what really stood out to me.

Medium to high carbonation, really easy to drink. Finishes dry and bitter but with the sweet start its a good balance on the tongue.

I'd drink it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again. I've had a few English IPA's that were hard to drink, this one is no problem. Can't really taste the alcohol either. I'm certainly not an English IPA expert.

2.78/5  rDev -21.7%

Whoa...pours with an absolutely huge head...this bottle is definitely over-carbonated. A few minutes later, the foam retreats enough for me to get my nose in the glass of this light orange ale. Lightly flowery aroma. Buttery on the palate with butterscotch and honey. Hops are flowery and buried under the butterscotch flavor. Heavy carbonation leaves nice lacing halfway through. Not bad, but more an English Pale Ale than an IPA to me, as this beer seems to lack the powerful bitter finish of its namesake. Reminds me a bit of Fuller's London Special, but with more restrained hops and more diacetyl (too much). Perhaps some age on this one? I had the Arcadia Starboard Stout earlier and prefer that to this one. Have to give this one low marks on the appearance due to over-carbonation.

2.85/5  rDev -19.7%

Sampled on 3-18-07

Pours a cloudy and yeasty light tan with a sparse head and lacing.

Smells very sweet and fruity.

Taste is grassy and earthy hops, with a weak and very sweet malt character.

Mouthfeel is decent, carbonation fits the style.

Drinkability is not so good, the flavor isn't that great.

Overall a disappointing beer from Arcadia. I need to stop trying these English IPAs.

2.87/5  rDev -19.2%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle purchased at Merchant's Fine Wine in Dearborn, MI.

A - Golden color with a slight haze and a good sized, off white head. Very inviting. Nice lacing as you go along.

S - Had a faint smell of latex paint or nail polish remover. I know, hard to believe but I couldn't smell much more.

T - Led in with an odd flavor reminiscent of the scent but then got better. A bit fruity, bitter and crisp. Not especially hoppy but good.

M - Good consistency and carbonation.

D - This beer was poor in the approach but good in the finish. It was a strange tasting for me.

2.88/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into pint glass.

Pours 1/2 finger of beige head. Fades to a thinner layer leaving light lace. Color is a hazed pale golden bronze.

Aroma: Bready/biscuity malts. Grassy hops with some some sweet fruit flavors. Kind of bland.

Taste: Very malty with an off flavored fruit note to it. It is a very sweet flavor like a strawberry or a peach. Some floral hops, but nothing I am enjoying.

Mouthfeel: Slightly bitter, but overly creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends sticky.

Overall, not my type of ipa. Not overly hoppy like an American and it had some off fruit flavors here. Somewhat drinkable if one likes these flavors.

2.9/5  rDev -18.3%

Murky looking orange. Very thin off white head. Lacing is minimal. The aroma is very fragrant. Minty. Lots of bubblegum. Piney. Decent, but not exactly what I'm looking for in the nose of an IPA. The flavor is full of bubblegum. Some pine sap as well. A bit of an astringent bitterness. Malt base is primarily toffeeish and a little biscuity. This one is striking me as much better than average. And that's being generous.

2.91/5  rDev -18%

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with large off-white head, decent retention. Spotty lacing and foamy film.

S: Very sweet..almost candy like. Orange citrus and caramel malts. Not terrible, but not exactly what I'm looking for in an IPA.

T: Very similar to the nose. Super sweet, candied orange, sweet malt. To be perfectly honest, this kind of tastes like someone's partial-extract homebrew.

M: Nothing bad here. Medium bodied with a bitter, dry finish.

O: I can't recommend any IPA fan to buy this beer. My initial impression from the nose and taste was this seems an awful lot like a homebrew. Oh well..at least I got a sweet cap out of it.

2.91/5  rDev -18%

12oz bottle from Sudsys into a Sam Adams pint-tulip.

Pours a very frothy head, had to wait a while top pour the 2nd half of the bottle, fluffy for days. Body is a translucent gold with a lot of rising carbonation, nice lasting head, huge almost like a pilsner or root-beer float. Decent lacing as well.

Smells of muted spruce and rooty herbal wood. Certainly not a huge aroma.

Tastes of grainy biscuit malts almost like an amber ale minus the caramel. There's a slight wash-in of citrus hops in the finish along with a bit of woody cardboardness. Just seems off as far as an IPA goes.

Mouthfeel is decent, medium body helped out by the head and carbonation.

Drinkability is kind of low. If I said 'give me an IPA' and this is what I got in return I'd be a bit confused and disappointed.

I've had other beers from Arcadia that have been very good, not sure what's going on here.

Arcadia IPA from Arcadia Brewing Company