Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia HopMouth Double IPAArcadia HopMouth Double IPA

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 12-11-2005

The first in a limited edition, 22oz bottled Brew Crew Big Beer Series. 1080 OG; 76 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA Alström Bros
1.7/5  rDev -54.9%

22 oz bottle into a mug. Poured a pretty nice, amber color, good amount of head with fairly nice lacing as the beer went. Unfortunately, that was all the nice got on this one. Nose was bitter and sour, biting at the nose, almost acrid. Nothing like any DIPA I'd had before. Extremely bitter, but not in a standard 'beer' way. Tasted like solvent, very astringent. My mom commented that it had the taste of fertilizer. Truly an unique and awful flavor. Feel was fairly solid for a DIPA, but not anything noteworthy, and certainly nothing that could overcome the taste/smell. Overall, can't recommend this one. I've never had anything like it before, and I hope to never have anything like it again. Overall, it's a mess. Nasty taste and smell, definitely something I will avoid in the future. May have turned me off for the brewer overall.

1.76/5  rDev -53.3%

I thought I liked hoppy beers...then I tried an American double IPA. Poured into a pint glass, murky yellowish organge. Not bad to look at. Left a lot of lacing on the glass and a decent head. Smell was pine..pine, and wait was that pine? Tasted it next. Ok, that's piny hops. And more hops, and wait...even more hops! Granted a lot of people love this type of beer, but I didn't care for it at all. No balance whatsoever, I could taste nothing other than overpowering hops. Maybe that's the style, but after drinking nice balanced English style IPAs this tasted terrible. Drank most of it but ended up leaving the last drink for the drain.

Take my review with a grain of salt if you are a real hop head.

1.88/5  rDev -50.1%

Fairly new 12oz bottle shared by Jesse13713; new label art though I didn't think to check the exact date. Poured into shaker pint.

A: Pours a cloudy amber/light-brown color, with one finger of white head, complete with decent retention and some spotty lacing.

S: Caramel and toffee malts, some light resinous hops- not nearly what I was expecting for a DIPA. As the beer warms they become to come through a bit more heavily, but only really enough to balance the sweet malt.

T: Loads of ethanol here; this is a very astringent beer. Light malt sweetness pokes through, as do a bit more hops than were evident in the aroma, but you really have to search for them. I only found myself coming close to enjoying the flavor when I was mindlessly gulping it down to finish my glass.

M: Somewhat thin body with light carbonation, and loads of alcoholic warmth.

O: Not a big fan of this one at all; there's way too much spicy alcohol with nothing else to back it up or balance it. Although the hop profile did come out in some strength near room temperature, its quality wasn't appealing enough to enable me to enjoy this one.

1.9/5  rDev -49.6%

Pored from a 12 oz bottle

The color is a darker amber with a ruby tint that doesn't look like your normal IIPA.

The smell is really disapointing!! No hops at all. It has a pilsner smell with a little banana. I would never guess this to be anything other than a pilsner.

It taste very metallic, a little booze, with a faint banana aftertaste. UGHHH, really! What a disapointment. For the price, there is no way I buy this again.

It would be a drain pour if I wasn't such a lush,

End of review

1.96/5  rDev -48%

Aroma:Smells very heavily of marris otter malt, but not much hops.

Appearance:Deep amber color, nearly opaque. Good head, but dissipates quickly.

Taste:The foretaste is heavy on the english malt, but quickly turns into a bitter mess. The hop flavor was very bitter without any trace of fruit. The acrid hop flavor lingers on unpleasantly in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:The full bitterness makes this beer fairly astringent on the back of the mouth.

Drinkability:I'm not a huge fan of this beer, the bittering hops are fairly unbalanced, which makes it an unpleasant experience.

2.03/5  rDev -46.2%

A: Pours a dark amber/brown colour, with pretty much NO head, even after a vigorous pour...

S: Smell is of candied citric hops, slight cough medicine note...really hoping there isn't something wrong with this beer.

T: Sweet citrus, turning bitter and melding with the pale and caramel malt. No carbonation make it sticky, overly sweet and overbearing.

M: Barely the slightest hint of carbonation--this is inadmissible.

D: The flavour shows promise for a good beer, but the lack of carbonation just ruins it.

2.07/5  rDev -45.1%

wow. i actually didn't want to enter this beer in the database - as it is the first beer that i truly do not like. however - there are indeed some good qualities about this beer.

pulled out of the fridge and poured into an open mouthed glass. let it sit at room temperature to warm up a bit.

appearance: great looking beer. pourd a HUGE head - frothy and foamy - nice taupey (is that a word) color. color scale between 14/16. nice brownish orange color - good lacing after the head went down.

aroma: this was different. initially not sure if the smell was good or bad. a creamy citrus smell - almost floral - not sure if that is flower floral or pine floral. has a belgium white smell to it. either way - rating low because it is so out there.

taste: ok - here is the bummer part. appearance is good, but the taste is not up to par. almost medicinal. first flavor is crisp and sharp that immediately goes away. you then get a slight hop taste. but unfortunately it is just not a good combination of flavors.

frustrated with this beer as i am a fan of Arcadia, but not this particular beer.

2.16/5  rDev -42.7%

I picked up a single of this at the Lager Mill for $2.49. I haven't had a DIPA in a while and this is the first time I have seen this beer so I figured I would give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. There was no bottling date. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the new label art on this beer, it's an angry looking evil hop cone. This beer poured a nice copper/amber color with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer and left some nice lacing.

S- Damn this is one sweet smelling brew. I am hit over the head with tons of super sweet caramel malts. I get some citrus hops also but its not as dominating as I would expect from a DIPA. I pick up some dark fruits and raisins from the grains and a good amount of booze that lets u know its there.

T- Pretty similar to the aroma with that sweet malty backbone pretty much taking over the flavor profile. Theres some citrus hops there but not much, seems like this might be a pretty old bottle since all signs point to the hops being faded over time. There is some slight bitterness on the finish but not much and the alcohol was not hidden well at all.

M- Medium bodied with descent carbonation.

Overall I was pretty disappointed in this brew. When I buy a DIPA I expect it to be heavy on the hops and this was not. If I didn't know what style of beer this was I probably would have thought it was a Scotch ale or something. I suspect this may be an old bottle but Arcadia doesn't give me any date to go by so I am holding that against them. I might try this again if I know its fresh but I am sure as hell not paying $2.50 for a bottle again. I got this expecting a nice hoppy brew and all I was left with was a disappointing super sweet malt bomb. Put some dates on you bottles Arcadia, this shit doesn't cut it.

2.16/5  rDev -42.7%

12 oz bottle from an Arcadia mixed pack... first review since moving to Michigan. Has obscure batch code but no date... if you're going to go to the trouble of notching labels, why not put a date on?

Dark and red for the style, opaque, with a creamy head with minute bubbles packs down a bit.

Muted smell, straight pine needle bitterness.

Tastes exactly like the smell... whoa. Maybe because this is from a smaller brewery's mixed pack I thought it wouldn't be a true double IPA, but this is pretty hopped up. Good balance between sweet and dry, but dominated by a metallic, mineral resinous bitterness. Lacking in nuanced hop flavor.

Fuzzy carbonation, a little light bodied, moderately syrupy finish.

Goes down fast. I'd keep drinking these, but reviewing vs. the style, it's tough to give props to a mediocre example when there is so much good competition. Glad to see it brewed and packaged in the mixed packs, though. Small bump for the low price point.

2.19/5  rDev -41.9%

A nice amber body with a big off-white head with great rentention.

Smells sour. Very strange. Some hops and malts in the background.

The strange sour aroma carries over into the taste, as the up front it is powerfullly sour. Something tells me this is not how this brew is supposed to be; it tastes a lot like a wild ale. The initial sour flavor gives way to some citrusy hops and finishes with some sweet malts. Overall this beer is like a strange wild ale and I don't particularly like it.

I can't handle finishing this bomber. It tastes like some kind of messed up wild ale. It's possible I got a bad bottle, but I don't think I will risk a second taste.

2.22/5  rDev -41.1%

Pours a burnt copper color, slightly hazy, developing a 2 finger thick, cream colored head with pretty good retention, leaving a lot of lace on the glass.

The aroma is...well malty. I certainly don't get a whole lot of hops, maybe some herbal character. Some toasty notes from the malt but mostly just a caramel sweetness.

The flavor is also malt forward, despite a harshly bitter finish. The hops seem to be more herbal than anything, almost tea-like, which when combined with the sweet malt and harsh bitterness is definitely off-putting. Somehow it manages to be almost cloyingly sweet, like a under attenuated homebrew, and yet has a harsh, metallic bitterness. Leaves a weird, sharply bitter flavor right at the very back of the palate, that is hard to get rid of.

Huh, there is no date on the bottle, not sure if this is old, but the bar I purchased it from is fairly reputable. Overall, this isn't very DIPA-like, IMO. It's almost like a harshly bitter brown ale. HopMouth just really isn't very good.

2.24/5  rDev -40.6%

A: Over two finger, light tan head. Great retention with lots of lacing. Hazed amber body.

S: Very strange smell. Floral, but not like any hops I've ever had. Earthiness with a touch of pine. Contained a weird quality that made me afraid to taste it.

T: Just as I feared, that odd quality came through in the taste. There was good balance with the malt a bit out in front of the hops, but the odd, perfume-like quality dominated & pretty much ruined it.

M: Light-medium body. Lightly carbonated. Somewhat smooth. Alcohol was present in the aftertaste.

D: I could not get past the thought that there was something wrong with this beer that made it unfit for consumption. The drain had to finish it.

It's possible this was an old bottle, but since there was no freshness date on the bottle, I don't feel bad about reviewing it.

2.26/5  rDev -40.1%

This was a drain pour for me. And I don't think it was a bad bottle.

22oz bottle purchased May 2007 at Lukas Liquors in St. Louis. Poured into a Fuller's Imperial pint glass. Label seems to be designed to report a bottling date, but nothing's notched.

Deep clear amber with some brown highlights - very nice thick, pillowy head of very tiny bubbles. Lacing sticks around forever, and the bubbles rise nicely from the bottom even 25 minutes after pouring.

Unfortunately it's downhill from there. Nose is a thick gooey piney resin, reminiscent of cleaning fluid, maybe even some sulfur notes. The taste is unfortunately even worse - no citrus, not even much typical hop bitterness, just syrupy pine followed by more of the same. Very hard to detect the malt - this style should have a lot of malt supporting the hops. Coats the mouth with a thin film of resin.

DIPA is not my favorite style, but I'll certainly go out of my way to have some of the local favorites - a White Knuckle from Marin Brewing, Pliny the Elder from Russian River, or even Green Flash's Imperial IPA. But I won't be trying Arcadia's again.

2.27/5  rDev -39.8%

I got this bottle in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks John!

This one pours from 22oz bottle a hazy deep gold with about a 1" head of foam and plenty of nice lacing.

The smell is pretty hoppy with some notes of malt and a weird nose that reminds me of iodine.(I know it's the pine but I'm sticking to what I said)

The taste on first sip has a nice malt to hops balance and is pretty nice but....the iodine smell that I noted is in the taste as well. Hopefully, after a few more sips, I won't notice it as much or it'll just go away.

After a few more sips...no. It's still there and I'm not liking that one bit. :^( I guess I'm not a fan of really "piney" beers. Not recommended based on this sample.

2.43/5  rDev -35.5%

Don't know how old my bottle was but this had something tangy and nasty in it. Always wary of Arcadia because they do't put a date on the bottle. Drainpour.

2.52/5  rDev -33.2%

Bottled on 12/29/10, consumed on 2/22/11 a mere 2 months, should be fresh.

a - rich ruby color, like a nice barleywine, pretty clear.
s - some pine & flower, candied orange flavor like cascades dipped in caramel - kinda, biscuits, toast, bread, lots of malt things. fairly muted for a dipa with a lot more malt than necessary.
t - follows the aroma, pretty malty with some of the hops mixed in, some spicy alcohol notes, toffee, caramel sweetness.
m - a little slick, medium-almost full-ish, more residual sugar than i prefer.
d - like a dipa for malt heads. i found it all a little strange.

2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

Look: Brownish orange center with a dark yellowish ring around the top and bottom with a 1/4 head and no retention or lace

Smell: Piney hops upfront with a citrus hops in the middle and a bit of orange peel and lemon

Taste: Here is where the beer was just awful for me. It tasted of stale grapefruits and bad citrus mixed in with some cough syrup. This was the closes thing to a drain pour that I have experienced

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a medium level of carbonation and a dry finish

Overall: Reviewing it fairly I enjoyed everything about this beer but the taste. This is one of the worst tasting DIPA's I have every had. Maybe I am spoiled by the delicous west coast DIPA's I dont know but this one had the worst flavors I have ever experienced in this style

2.56/5  rDev -32.1%

Pours a medium amber copper color, with a two finger head. Nice retention leaves behind an adequate amount of lacing, and a creamy blanket over top of the glass.

Aroma is hoppy, but with a distinct butterscotch aroma as well. Alcohol is also fairly volatile and solvent like.

Flavor is not so hot. Thin, insipid malt character, with again, loads of butterscotch. Hoppiness is limited to bitterness on the finish, almost no flavor or aroma. Hot alcoholic finish. Mouthfeel is creamy, although a little thin. Drinkability is not so great.

Diacetyl bomb.... I'd avoid this one. Poorly made product from a bad recipe to start with. I won't be buying it again.

2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: Pours a murky deep orange/copper. Head was huge, but settled quickly. Not a hint of lacing, but I think the cleaning lady puts my beer glasses into the dishwasher. I didn't ding the score for it. As I drink it, it reminds me of my '99 JW Lees Harvest Ales.

S: Very sweet and malty on the nose. If there are hops in this, I can't smell them. No pine, citrus, or floral scent.

T: The only clue this is a DIPA is in the lasting bitterness. No citrus or pine in the taste at all. I'm starting to wonder if I bought an old bottle.

M: Taste lingers in your mouth for quite a while with its medium feel. It's just a tad bit on the heavy side.

D: Pretty low, if only because I don't think I had the DIPA i was hoping for.

I sometimes get bottles that are old and its obvious. This appears to be one of those times. While there appears to be a date code on the side of the label, nothing is stamped or notched to determine freshness. I still submit reviews based on this. I'm willing to give this brew another shot, but it will be a while before I pick up another bottle.

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into an oversized red wine glass.
A: Amber rusty orange, it poured with a cream head that died to a film and leaves lacing.
S: Rosemary, piney hops which come off kind of musty and resiny with underripe fruit and bread.
T: Underripe fruit, green apple, resiny hops with a musty bitter finish. I'm not really impressed by this one.
M: The carbonation is too crisp and frothy, while only slightly syrupy.
D: Only OK. The hops come off as too harsh.

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

pours a very dark brown color for 2ipa with a smallish head the smell was barley and malt first where is the pine and citrus the hops ? the taste is the same it is brackish and metallic tasting no big citrus or pines in this one no big hops or nicely balanced malts..i dont know but this is one bad version of a IIPA its not good the mouthful is bitter and thin i will never buy/try this one again think pliny or double trouble or gorden or 16 grit or DFH 90 even the oracle b4 this one..not recommended

2.64/5  rDev -30%

I got this bottle from a friend who went to the brewery in Michigan.
I don't know if this bottle was stored poorly or something but IPA is the last impression I got from this beer.
It pours a deep amber body with thin amber hinted head.
Smells of deep caramel, candi sugar, some sweet citrus hops are barely there and theres some hints of biscuit and chocolate.
This already smells like a dubble belgian ale and it taste even more like one. It's exceptionally sweet, almost like a mild IPA that was aged for FAR to long. It's got caramel and raisen notes along with some prune and apple. There's a little hint of hops but you honestly have to search for it. I really think travel took a heafty toll on this beer.

2.66/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Red amber body. Dark and hazy. Not much of a head until the very end, but it manages to hang on and even create some nice lacing.

Smell - Musty pine hops with a strong caramel malt presence. It seems like this could be a sweet one. Diacetyl in the nose too. Hmm.

Taste - Yeah, the diacetyl is back here. Once I noticed it, I can't ignore it. It's not as sweet as I feared, but there's a lot more malt than there is aromatic hop to make it anything special. It's "balanced" I suppose. Would be much better without that diacetyl.

Mouthfeel - Bitter finish. I'm not really having any trouble drinking it, despite its flaws.

Overall - At first I thought I could finish it. Then I started struggling. Eventually I poured the last quarter down the drain.

2.73/5  rDev -27.6%

A tumbler glass served at Capone's.

A: The DIPA has an amber orange color, fairly clear, with a small head that doesn't last long.

S: The aroma is bitter hops, amped up significantly. Citrus notes dominate.

T: The flavor is out of balance. Big oily hops great you up front but never recede to allow for a malty body or any other flavors. The hops are bitter and don't mix well, creating a taste that is a pine-citrus combination that has no clear definition. The lack of focus hurts the taste, as too many things want to stand out but none are able to.

M: The mouthfeel is a big mess of oily pine and citrus hops. If you like big hops that are clearly out of balance, this is for you.

D: I chose this over the Sorachi Ace as my first DIPA of the evening (see my profile for the write-up on Sorachi Ace) and regret it. The flavors never coherently mix and leave a lasting bitterness in the mouth.

2.74/5  rDev -27.3%

Got a bottle of this straight from the local distributor during a premiere week event for this brand here in Brooklyn - Very nice color as it pours into the glass creating a nice frothy head. Very strong diacetyl smell, overpowering the hop aroma which is fairly subdued on it's own. Taste is very bitter but not nearly a hoppy as I expected especially after reading other reviews. Again a very distinct diacetyl flavor and strong maltiness with more diacetyl and lingering hops in the finish. I was really surprised to taste the diacetyl in this brew - it seemed familiar like the characteristic flavor in many Pugsly system brews, rather than a side affect of mishandling or infection. So maybe this is a charecteristic flavor of all their beers, but it is definitely not for me. I will try this beer again in the future to make sure I am not unfairly criticizing a good beer for a bad sample, but for now I will focus on trying their other beers.

Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA from Arcadia Brewing Company