Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia HopMouth Double IPAArcadia HopMouth Double IPA

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 12-11-2005

The first in a limited edition, 22oz bottled Brew Crew Big Beer Series. 1080 OG; 76 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Pouring this from a bottle into a pint glass it looks a deep oak brown with a hint of red to it. The head is tight and thick (similar to how I like my women?) but is pretty thin on top, only about a half-finger.

Smell isn't too strong but is hops through and through. It definitely has the traditional citrusy notes and also some earthy apple and pear tones.

The taste has a nice strong bitterness, but without the citrusy bite of many DIPAs. There are also some nice hearty/earthy burnt malt flavors behind the shear, well, mouthful of hops! It has a solid level of carbonation, which I think makes its taste a little bit lighter. The swig is followed by a nice warm hint of alcohol and eventually a piney-bitter aftertaste. I don't whether it's the green on the label or the name (Arcadia) but after that first sip I'm feel pretty crunchy about drinking this.

It definitely has a fairly full body as a DIPA, but I wouldn't classify it as overly heavy. I think its mouth feel is aided by the vibrant carbonation that prevents it from overwhelming the palate with bitter coating. Another? Sure. Something about its taste makes me feel like I should put on a flannel shirt and jeans first though.

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

I was disappointed with the less than average experience with this beer. I had high expectations based on the cost and rare availability in Virginia. It was less than satisfying in all categories. I expected a big full beer with a lot of hops and a delicious flavor. My experience may have been tainted by inflated expectations but I won't be picking this beer again.

3.13/5  rDev -17%

Poured into a snifter. Pours a nice dark amber color with a small white head.

Aroma is fairly light, malty sweetness mixed with grapefruit hops.

Taste is even lighter than the smell. It's grapefruit hops followed by a little malty sweetness with a nice clean watery finish. It's a bit light in flavor for my tastes, but not in a subtle way... it literally tastes like spring water in the finish.

Continuing along the watery theme, it's too light in body for a DIPA, though that makes it a little more drinkable, but I wouldn't buy another. There are too many other great DIPA's out there.

4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

Tried this on a whim. $5.99 for a pint + 6oz bottle.

This beer is beautiful. Hazy dark amber color, riddish with lots of bubbles. Off-white lacing that goes from thick big bubbles to a fine misty appearance. One of the most visually impressive beers I've poured.

The aroma is wonderful. Rich, buttery fruit smell that makes my mouth water. There's a little sweet caramel scent too.

Has a nice level of bitterness. Tastes like it smells, very hoppy and fresh tasting. The mouthfeel is very pleasing. It has a creamy texture with a little bite on the back of the throat. I could drink this all night.

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Deep amber. Small head that disappeared quickly and left only a bit of lacing.

S: While there are hops, I expected more from a DIPA. Malt, carmel and mild citrus.

T: The bitterness of the hops really come through, adding bitterness more than flavor. Maltier than expected and notes of carmel and brown sugar.

M: Good medium body with a good level of carbonation.

D: A very drinkable DIPA. While I certainly did enjoy this beer, there are other beers of a the same style that I prefer.

2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: Pours a murky deep orange/copper. Head was huge, but settled quickly. Not a hint of lacing, but I think the cleaning lady puts my beer glasses into the dishwasher. I didn't ding the score for it. As I drink it, it reminds me of my '99 JW Lees Harvest Ales.

S: Very sweet and malty on the nose. If there are hops in this, I can't smell them. No pine, citrus, or floral scent.

T: The only clue this is a DIPA is in the lasting bitterness. No citrus or pine in the taste at all. I'm starting to wonder if I bought an old bottle.

M: Taste lingers in your mouth for quite a while with its medium feel. It's just a tad bit on the heavy side.

D: Pretty low, if only because I don't think I had the DIPA i was hoping for.

I sometimes get bottles that are old and its obvious. This appears to be one of those times. While there appears to be a date code on the side of the label, nothing is stamped or notched to determine freshness. I still submit reviews based on this. I'm willing to give this brew another shot, but it will be a while before I pick up another bottle.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Tasted on 1/20/10
Served in a wine glass. Light caramel color with small white head. Murky with hints of orange at the edge of the glass. Fresh herbs and orange rind on the nose with hints of grapefruit.

Nice and warming with good roasted malt coming through. Medium body plus mild carbonation makes for a very drinkable beer with an elegant mouthfeel. Hops are kinda subdued for this style but they really show well on the finish which is long and generous

This double IPA will not slap you in the face with hops but the citrus and pine is defininatly there. It's very well structured and the ABV is kept in check by freshness and malt.

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Hazy light brown in color with a light almond (color) head.

Very little on the nose to speak of. Some light malty sweetness, but no noticeable hops.

Taste was a total contradiction to the smell, this beer has a mountain of hops waiting to attack your taste buds. Very floral in flavor, not overly bitter, and not overpowering. Some malty sweetness cuts through the hops to really round this beer out nicely.

Mouthfeel is neither thick nor thin, and dare I say thirst-quenching. One interesting note is the aftertaste - the hops do not linger in your mouth. You get a very clean finish, which was quite surprising given the amount of hops you get up front.

This was a highly drinkable beer for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it's worth noting that this was served from a hand-drawn cask. YMMV from bottle or keg.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Here we go:

A - Hazy light brown color, kind of dull. Not a lot of head, dissipates rather quickly. Decent lacing.

S - Intense flowery hops, along with grain, citrus and faint alcohol.

T - More balanced than the aroma let on. The hops are certainly present, but some nice malt backbone gives this a bittersweet taste.

M - Rich mouthfeel, but with an odd tingly bite at the end

D - Good for a high-powered IIPA, nice above-average brew

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is one of my favorite IPA's. I am so glad it is available year round. It pours a beautiful orange-amber color with a light head, it is just great to look at. Nice lacing, you can count how many sips you have taken from the rings.

The smell is a sweet malty hoppy mix with a slightly citrus and spice nose. It tastes just like it smells too, it is on the maltier side for an IPA. It is not very bitter at all, some sweetness of malts with a lightly hopped finish. It is still an IPA, but a smooth, sweet one. I think it is more of an east coast/British style Ale.

You cannot tell it is a big beer by the flavor, but you will start noticing as the glass gets under half. It is definitely not a session IPA by any means. If you like your IPA on the malty side, you came to the right place. It is a nearly perfect mix of bitter and sweet.

2.77/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a copper-orange color with a thick frothy head that falls quickly, but leaves a nice retention. Nose is underwhelming; don't get the hit of hops I'd expect with a double IPA. Taste is similar; malty, biscuity, with a little piney hop finish but not enough. Wouldn't be a bad pale ale, but hardly a double IPA, in my opinion. Underwhelming for the style it proclaims. Hopefully I just stumbled upon an old bottle that's lost something....

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%

A- Poured into large red wine glass. Auburn in colour and fairly translucent. Poured a very foamy head that dissipated very quickly.

S- Very Heavy on the hops. Not many other smells detectable. The hops are very fresh smelling, with some citrus hints coming through with them, as well as natural spruce hints in the hops.

T- Quite refreshing. The hops, like the smell, are quite fresh tasting. The citrus notes come through very with the hops, and the spruce hints come through very subtly. The finish is what is very surprising about this beer. The bitterness on the finish is very strong, and one of the longest lasting bitter finishes I've experienced in a DIPA.

D- This is a very nice beer to drink. Bought it on a whim to fill a 6 pack, and will definitely purchase again. An easy drinking or sipping beer.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: For an IPA, the Arcadia Hopmouth pours a pretty dark amber color with a medium amount of cloudiness. By comparison, I'd say it's roughly the same color as the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. This is most likely due to the addition of malt in boiling process. Double IPAs are typically much brighter and clearer so I am immediately curious as to what this one will taste like. There is a very healthy amount of off-white head that comes along with this one.

Smell: The aromas in this beer don't blast you in the face like many of the DIPAs can. However, there is certainly a good amount of pungent hops on the nose. I get a lot more of the grassy pine components than I do the citrus aromas, which leads me to wonder how bright this beer will taste. I've been surprised in the past.

Taste: This is definitely in the same sort of family as the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye in that there is more of a caramel-like backbone that marries nicely with the bitter hops. As I presumed, there is not a lot of sunshine in this glass, but it certainly isn't a shy beer, either. The good head retention returns with a brisk swirl and does wonders for the flavors. As with most beers, the flavors begin to mutate a bit after the beer begins to warm.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is one of the nicer components of the Hopmouth. It is well in to the medium-bodied beer category. The bitter elements of the hops coat the tongue quite well and leave behind a nice piney taste. They also do a number or two on the back of your throat as they work their way down. This is definitely a drink for the hophead.

Overall: I bought this beer on a whim. I've been drinking quite a few IPAs lately and wanted to give it a shot. I have to say that there is quite a bit to like about Arcadia's Hopmouth Double IPA. I don't mean there is anything overly special about it, but I will say that it is probably a bit underrated. It is a very nicely balanced beer and well worth a rotation in any collection. If you are a fan of the ballsier IPAs on the market, this will unquestionably be right up your alley.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Slightly dark amber with a one finger tan head after an aggresive pour. Carbonation mild but continuous. Kind of hoping for some sediment..

S: Grassy hops make up most of the nose but there's a biscuit malt that's significant as well. Hint of nut

T: Hoppy but very reserved. Kind of an earthy feel but not much transition into the bitter finish. Caramel touch jumps out every now and then

M: Really creamy and unlike a typical DIPA. The alcohol warms. Very good flavorful, dry finish

O: Comes up a bit short for the style, I feel. Nothing "carries" this beer although it's a good choice for those getting into DIPA's.

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

A-- very hazy amber color....orange hues...fluffy head off of hard pour...sticky lacing

S-- smells like the pine tree in my backyard...i actually went inside to smell it again just to make sure that wasn't what i was smelling...alcohol a bit evident as well as some carmel notes.

T--nice piney hops right outfront...followed by a sweet lemonade type ctirus with other citrus coming in..grapefruit?..sweeteness comes into play after warming a bit..pretty balanced all in all

M-- creamy and smooth...carbonation seems low but is enough to help throw the flavors around the palate and give a great finish

D-- eight percent can catch up to ya quick but i could sip on these for a while all night...i will be gettin this guy again

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

picked this up on my last trip up north to my hometown in MI.

Pours very dark for a DIPA. almost brown with some slight haze.

Not much in the aroma, sweet malts, nearly identical to that of an amber.

guess what? taste follows the look and smell. not what i want in a dipa. almost like a combination between an english style ipa with the caramel malts of an olde ale without the added zing of aggresive alcohol.

this to me was just a watered down barleywine. i would have liked to have seen some aggressive hop aroma's and flavors and higher alcohol for DIPA$$. its not that this beer was horrible. i just don't quite understand it since it didn't seem to have the appearance, alcohol or hop prescense of a DIPA.

4.29/5  rDev +13.8%

Was really anticipating this one, heard alot of great things and the bottle really plays up the hoppiness factor.
Fabulous aroma, nice floral hops and citrus.
This beer is certainly hoppy, but I was a bit let down. I was expecting to be swept away by a violent hop current; however, Hopmouth, though certainly quite hoppy, is not one of the most hoppy beers out there. Still, it is a must try for the hophead and I'll certainly purchase it again. Nice citrus tones behind the hop bite.

4.46/5  rDev +18.3%

Aged in a dirt floor cellar for about 9 months...then into the fridge overnight.

Good God Man!

Poured in a beer clean, regular old 16 oz tumbler, and if I were able, I'd have shrunken myself and crawled right up on that pillowy head & went to sleep-at least for about 10 or 15 minutes , as it hung around that long just tempting me-but I had patience- it was too cold when poured and I wanted to taste every bit of this beauty. With a nutty brune color & a toffee tan head it sure was a pretty pint.

And hey it lived up to expectations, perfect balance, nice spicy aroma, backed up with a peppery bite, slight citrus notes & sweet malty backbone. I loved every drop of this one and must go on every hopheads hit list. Still quite Drinkable for a Big IPA because its the understated BALANCE that makes a hoopy brew great, and my friends, this one is.

4.36/5  rDev +15.6%

A: the head retention and lacing were better than I have seen on most anything nice copper blond color.
S: Defiantly some hops
T: good Hoppyness but not over powering for a double IPA fruit, cheery notes and some alcohol heat.
M: Nice and big
D: I could drink a few before the alcohol catches up with me.

3.77/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this is as part of the May NEPA Beer Club split. Pours cloudy copper with two-finger white head. A wonderful hop aroma greets the nose. Smooth beginning gives ways to a nice, bitter finish. Malts give this a IPA some balance and there is a nice bitterness from the hops. Mouthfeel is a little oily. A decent double IPA.

4.45/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a thick copper with a strong retaining head. Nice, spotty lacing coating.

Smell: Citrus and super piney! A sign of good things to come...

Taste: A hoplover's delight...hops all around with a sweet pine resiny touch at the end. A nice grapefruit bitterness accompanies the hops...the drink finishes with a bite.

Mouthfeel: Less slick and cumbersome than most DIPAS...a light and refreshing mouth presence.

Drinkability: mmmm..highly quaffable...be careful...have fun...this DIPA is one of the best!

1.76/5  rDev -53.3%

I thought I liked hoppy beers...then I tried an American double IPA. Poured into a pint glass, murky yellowish organge. Not bad to look at. Left a lot of lacing on the glass and a decent head. Smell was pine..pine, and wait was that pine? Tasted it next. Ok, that's piny hops. And more hops, and wait...even more hops! Granted a lot of people love this type of beer, but I didn't care for it at all. No balance whatsoever, I could taste nothing other than overpowering hops. Maybe that's the style, but after drinking nice balanced English style IPAs this tasted terrible. Drank most of it but ended up leaving the last drink for the drain.

Take my review with a grain of salt if you are a real hop head.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Thin head, minimal lacing, dissipated quickly. Murky, cloudy. Burnt orange brown color.

S: A little light on aroma. Slightly bready and yeasty.

T: Very malty. Malt up front, which tends to mask the hops. Even maltier as it warms up.

M: Medium bodied mouthfeel. Average carbonation.

D: If you like malty ales, this would be a good choice. Not for hopheads, as the hopes tend to get lost in the maltiness. Nonethless, a good beer, just not what I would consider a very good DIPA. Slainte!

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to hudsonphotog for sharing this bottle.

Pours a dark brown-orangish color with little white head. The aroma is very malty with hints of hops. Taste is sweet tangy citrus, juicy malt, and lots of bitterness in the finish. Medium body, plenty of carbonation, and just a touch of backing alcohol. Overall, a pretty good brew.

4.29/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased as part of a 'mix-a-six' from my local beer & spirits shop. Not the biggest fan of Arcadia's standard IPA, so we'll see how they do it up with a DIPA!

A: Poured vigorously into a generic beer glass, Hopmouth yielded about a finger of creamy, almost beige head which died very slowly over a couple minutes. Lacing and retention is stellar; almost glue-like. The beer itself is a gorgeous, opaque, dank brownish copper- almost rootbeer-esque. This is an ace-looking brew!

S: Not getting a whole ton off the nose of this one, to be honest. I get hints of toffee and caramel malt, but not much else.

T: This is a whole different story. This is one of the smoothest, most balanced DIPAs I have ever had. The bitter hops and rich, rounded malts offer a delectable yin/yang set-up for the palette. The hops here are all 'pine' all the way...no fruit flavors here, folks. The malts have that rich, caramel candy vibe inherent in the best DIPAs. The carbonation is ever-so-slight; just enough to remind you that this is, in fact, a beer you're drinking.

M: Crisp , dry tongue-travel with minimal carbonation. A thoroughbred Double IPA, no doubt about it!

O: I have to hand it to Arcadia for taking such a balanced route with their DIPA...many companies try to go balls-to-the-wall with the formula, usually in the form of extreme, constant addition, whole cone hops and 10+% ABVs...trying to push that IBU scale through the roof and get you sauced as hell! While I'm as much of a 'Hop Head' as the next IPA connoisseur, I ultimately enjoy BALANCE in my brews.

Kudos to Arcadia Brewing Company. This is BY FAR the finest beer they make; you can bet I'll be seeking more where this came from!

Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA from Arcadia Brewing Company