Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia HopMouth Double IPAArcadia HopMouth Double IPA

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

The first in a limited edition, 22oz bottled Brew Crew Big Beer Series. 1080 OG; 76 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 12-11-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA Alström Bros
JDizzle

Indiana

1.9/5  rDev -49.9%

Pored from a 12 oz bottle

The color is a darker amber with a ruby tint that doesn't look like your normal IIPA.

The smell is really disapointing!! No hops at all. It has a pilsner smell with a little banana. I would never guess this to be anything other than a pilsner.

It taste very metallic, a little booze, with a faint banana aftertaste. UGHHH, really! What a disapointment. For the price, there is no way I buy this again.

It would be a drain pour if I wasn't such a lush,

End of review

03-31-2011 01:29:56 | More by JDizzle
StoutHunter

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

I picked up a single of this at the Lager Mill for $2.49. I haven't had a DIPA in a while and this is the first time I have seen this beer so I figured I would give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. There was no bottling date. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the new label art on this beer, it's an angry looking evil hop cone. This beer poured a nice copper/amber color with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer and left some nice lacing.

S- Damn this is one sweet smelling brew. I am hit over the head with tons of super sweet caramel malts. I get some citrus hops also but its not as dominating as I would expect from a DIPA. I pick up some dark fruits and raisins from the grains and a good amount of booze that lets u know its there.

T- Pretty similar to the aroma with that sweet malty backbone pretty much taking over the flavor profile. Theres some citrus hops there but not much, seems like this might be a pretty old bottle since all signs point to the hops being faded over time. There is some slight bitterness on the finish but not much and the alcohol was not hidden well at all.

M- Medium bodied with descent carbonation.

Overall I was pretty disappointed in this brew. When I buy a DIPA I expect it to be heavy on the hops and this was not. If I didn't know what style of beer this was I probably would have thought it was a Scotch ale or something. I suspect this may be an old bottle but Arcadia doesn't give me any date to go by so I am holding that against them. I might try this again if I know its fresh but I am sure as hell not paying $2.50 for a bottle again. I got this expecting a nice hoppy brew and all I was left with was a disappointing super sweet malt bomb. Put some dates on you bottles Arcadia, this shit doesn't cut it.

03-24-2011 03:22:48 | More by StoutHunter
AwYeh

1.83/5  rDev -51.7%

Fairly new 12oz bottle shared by Jesse13713; new label art though I didn't think to check the exact date. Poured into shaker pint.

A: Pours a cloudy amber/light-brown color, with one finger of white head, complete with decent retention and some spotty lacing.

S: Caramel and toffee malts, some light resinous hops- not nearly what I was expecting for a DIPA. As the beer warms they become to come through a bit more heavily, but only really enough to balance the sweet malt.

T: Loads of ethanol here; this is a very astringent beer. Light malt sweetness pokes through, as do a bit more hops than were evident in the aroma, but you really have to search for them. I only found myself coming close to enjoying the flavor when I was mindlessly gulping it down to finish my glass.

M: Somewhat thin body with light carbonation, and loads of alcoholic warmth.

O: Not a big fan of this one at all; there's way too much spicy alcohol with nothing else to back it up or balance it. Although the hop profile did come out in some strength near room temperature, its quality wasn't appealing enough to enable me to enjoy this one.

03-23-2011 09:56:58 | More by AwYeh
jsulko

Served from Cask in a Snifter at the Firkin back in October 2010

Color is a deep reddish brown with a small off white foamy head.

Piny hops smell more than a grapefruit smell.

Taste has a slight maltyness to go with the piny hops. Taste finishs is somewhat bitter from the hops.

A good DIPA and my first cask beer. I think there are better examples of the style out there.

03-21-2011 20:41:10 | More by jsulko
Jesse13713

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance - A very rich and caramely amber-orange beer. Little head on this one. Light to medium lacing capability. Appears to have low carbonation.

Smell - Smells strongly of hops and bitters. Slight citrus. Not as strong smelling as I thought.

Taste - A surprisingly tamed tasting imperial IPA. I am not overwhelmed with hops or bitterness; which is a nice surprise. Very rich in malts and caramel on the tongue. The hop qualities come on the finish but are quickly tamed by more malts.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Very well balanced between sweet malts and bitter hops. One of the most caramelized imperial IPA's I've tasted. Slight zesty orange became more apparent later on.

03-20-2011 23:34:34 | More by Jesse13713
Stang895

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a bottle into a wine glass.

A This is a beautiful beer, it has a nice rust color with a small head and slow moving carbonation.

S The beer holds a nice fragrant smell of hops and alcohol, almost a perfume aroma.

T It has a pretty light start with some raisin hints, as the name would suggest it holds a strong hop finish. I almost expected a more bitter finish, which is a good thing.

M It has a nice feel not too heavy but still thick enough to have some flavor.

This is not the best beer that you will ever have. But it is good enough to drink, and you are on beer advocate so I assume you appreciate most beers just like me.

03-18-2011 01:22:14 | More by Stang895
SpdKilz

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%

A huge thanks to my buddy Kevin (kzoobrew) for this great beer. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a rather dark amber, almost light brown color into my SA Perfect Pint. About a finger of slight tan head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates relatively quickly leaving thing, but pretty full lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Lots of floral hops (reminds me of Hoptober a it off the bat). And then more floral hops. Just a hint of citrus, but after the hops a noticeable bready, sweet malty backbone comes through.

Taste - Pretty spot on to the nose. While there is a nice hop profile in the flavor, the malty backbone really takes over, which personally isn't something I prefer. A bit too sweet for me with various caramel and toffee flavors.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, good carbonation for the style.

Drinkability - It is pretty quaffable, but again not a beer I'd choose over others available. Just a bit too malty for me.

03-15-2011 02:28:34 | More by SpdKilz
generallee

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1 pint 6oz bottle into a tulip glass. The label has a nice description of the beer but no freshness date or abv.

Appearance: There is a deep copper brown body with dark amber highlights and a light haze. Up on top it has a two finger thick foam head that slowly fades to a thin light beige covering. This covering hangs on well and makes lots a spotty lacing.

Smell: I get a heavy and sweet malt with equal amounts of citrus hops. Notes of booze covered raisins with canned mandarin oranges and lemon zest mingle over a bed of grain.

Taste/Palate: There is lots of lemon and lemon zest with orange like hop notes coming through rich sweet bready and grain flavored maltiness. Its abv is noticeable and warming. The finish has more herbal/leafy hop notes pushing in with a solid bitterness slowly fading from the tongue. It texture has a slightly slick feel with light carbonation.

Notes: This beer came to play and it brought lots of nice hops along for the fun.

03-07-2011 23:12:40 | More by generallee
kwjd

3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a dark orange colour with thin white head and very minimal lacing. Smells of citrus and earthy hops with some odd vegetable aroma. Small bitterness in the flavour, doesn't really seem like a double IPA though. Medium body carbonation. A below average double IPA, but drinkable enough to finish the bottle. Not going to seek this out again.

03-07-2011 05:18:03 | More by kwjd
Franz4

A- pours darker than I expected, a dark copper with a off-white foamy, rocky head.

S- strong grapefruit with a little toffee in the background, very pleasant and inviting.

T- Hmmm... grapefruit and toffee with an additional sweet honey flavor that is reminiscent of Hopslam (although not quite on that level). Tart grapefruit bitterness sticks with you in the finish as well.

M- lightly carbonated, dry finish, medium bodied.

D- Nice drinkable DIPA, it's my first beer from Arcadia, and I'll look to try more of their brews in the future.

03-06-2011 01:27:19 | More by Franz4
spinrsx

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a hazy brownish orange colour with an average size frothy beige coloured head. I can't really tell how much carbonation there is and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - malts, caramel, grapefruit, hops

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and the beer has a full bodied taste. I can pick up on lots of malts and hops mixed with a caramel sweetness. There are also some notes of pineapple and grapefruit and also some dark fruit flavours. The beer finishes with a bitter sweet hoppy aftertaste.

Drink - The alcohol was well hidden and the beer has a lot of different flavours going on - very complex. I enjoyed this beer and it was worth seeking out.

03-02-2011 17:36:30 | More by spinrsx
ejimhof

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance: Pour is a hazy orange almost seems like lots of yeast left in this one.Head is very thin with slight lacing.

Smell: Has a very hoppy floral aroma.

Taste: bitter hops are the focus here.

Mouthfeel: Body is lightand watery.

Drinkability: Not something I want to drink again. I cannot recall if I liked anything from this brewery but I keep trying.

02-27-2011 01:37:27 | More by ejimhof
SafeAtFirst

Wisconsin

2.53/5  rDev -33.2%

Bottled on 12/29/10, consumed on 2/22/11 a mere 2 months, should be fresh.

a - rich ruby color, like a nice barleywine, pretty clear.
s - some pine & flower, candied orange flavor like cascades dipped in caramel - kinda, biscuits, toast, bread, lots of malt things. fairly muted for a dipa with a lot more malt than necessary.
t - follows the aroma, pretty malty with some of the hops mixed in, some spicy alcohol notes, toffee, caramel sweetness.
m - a little slick, medium-almost full-ish, more residual sugar than i prefer.
d - like a dipa for malt heads. i found it all a little strange.

02-23-2011 05:00:13 | More by SafeAtFirst
haazer

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

2nd beer had at the Philly Winter Beer festival, 1st one I "ticked".

A- Beer appears a blend of orange, copper penny, and red. No head left on the pour. Does leave lacing.

S- A variety of floral hops and spices, although very faint. Hard to distinguish different hops used.

T- Bitter, resiny. Hop leafs, citrus, and grapefruit.

M- Tingly from the hops. Light to medium bodied. Bit of a leafy feel in the mouth as mentioned in flavor above.

D- An ok DIPA. Had a regular IPA from Great Lakes Brewing that was much better than this, should've reviewed that instead.

02-15-2011 22:57:45 | More by haazer
rrski198

Georgia

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Avergae fluffy white head, with minimal lacing. THe color is what has struck me here. Deep amber to brown color. I want to say burnt orange. Quite beautiful.

S: Hello English hops and a lot of them. I have been getting used to american hops so this is quite nice. There is definately some great hop smells going on here. I am geeting some dark fruit and caramel as well. THe malt is giving me a slight quad smell.

T: I am getting the flavor of the malt right up front. Again, sweet fruits; cherries, plums. Hops follow up and leave the bitterness on the sides of my tongue. A nicely balanced beer.

M: Full, sweet, nicely bitter. Fully coats my mouth and the bitterness sticks around to continue the hop kick. Average carbonation.

D: This is nicely done here. I am assuming they have a variety of hops in this brew but i like that there is some english style in this brew (at least i think). I could have more than a few of these as it really goes dome quite easy.

02-09-2011 20:56:54 | More by rrski198
grub

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz bottle. sampled feb 4/2011.

pours deep orangey amber with just a hint of haze. a small cap of dense white head forms, dropping quickly and leaving spotty lace.

aroma is nice. light caramel and toffee. hint of dms. bit of apple. bit of lagerish character. orange and tangerine. light pine. candy apple. light alcohol. white bread and cracker.

taste is nice. slightly resiny pine and grapefruit. bit of orange and tangerine. candied apple. bit of dms. big buttery toffee. bit of caramel. light alcohol. white bread and cracker. bit of biscuit. fruity.

mouthfeel is good. medium body. just over medium carbonation level.

drinkability is nice. fairly well balanced. decent hop depth. a shame that the obvious flaws (acetaldehyde, diacetyl, dms) mostly ruin it.

02-04-2011 18:12:00 | More by grub
crossovert

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Noticed new labels do I bought it.

It pours a coppery orange with a foamy white head.

The smell is mostly candy-like, with a decent bit of hops of mostly the piney variety. It needs more dry hopping or something because the scent just isn't there.

The flavor is reminiscent of the smell. It has a bit more character. The hops are moderately bitter with a bit piney presence. The malt is big too with a big cloying blast of caramel.

It is a decidedly east-caost IPA, but a good one, it just didn't smell too swell.

02-01-2011 04:44:30 | More by crossovert
HOPPYKC

Kansas

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Had this on tap at the flying saucer in downtown great Kansas city. It was poured a great deep amber color with an inch of head. Almost opaque to see through. Light tan head in color. Smooth to drink, hits a lot on the tongue. A full beer for an ipa. A hop load up front and a bit of slightly roasted malts on the back end. A really dry finish. Makes you crave it for more. Goes down smooth and full. A bit of a heavier IPA but overall pretty good. I defiantly like this brew from Arcadia more so than the hoprocket.

01-30-2011 23:08:08 | More by HOPPYKC
bamadog

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

I've been seeing this on the shelves for a while now but I could never tell how old the bottles were. I noticed a new label when I was there on Friday so I figured that they must be a little fresher. Review is from notes taken on 1/16/2011 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a pretty standard coppery color with a darker core in the center; head starts with a one finger off tan head that fades pretty quickly to a thin and incomplete skim with a thicker ring around the surface; body is a little cloudy, but still shows moderate carbonation bubbling throughout; a fair amount of spots and swaths of lacing are left behind on the sides of the glass.

Smell: A little weaker than what I would hope, but there is a fair amount of hop presence, coming across in a variety ways ranging from a little grassy and piney to a more dominant citric presence (grapefruit); not much to report beyond this -- not bad, but I would expect a bit more in terms of strength and a bit of a bigger malt backbone.

Taste: Like the smell, it's not bad, but I feel that it lacks the stronger malt backbone to balance out the bitter hops, which are really quite nice... There is indeed a strong hop presence and it has a range from mild grassy and pine to the stronger grapefruit notes; there is a slight tinge of alcohol to it.

Mouthfeel: Body is between light and medium, but definitely leaning towards the lighter side of things and it comes across just a tad watery; carbonation is definitely present and it provides a lively feeling of prickliness and it leaves the gums a little tingly; the alcoholic vapor leaves the gums feeling a little numb and the belly warm; a moderately thick and semi dry coating is left on the roof of the mouth.

Drinkability: Not bad overall, but I likely won't pick it up again... certainly wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me though. It has a fair set of flavors, but I feel it's lacking some balance and the bitter is more "bitter" than flavorful like a lot of other offerings; the ABV is also a tad high for too much, but it's certainly a fair sipper.

01-17-2011 03:03:30 | More by bamadog
in780

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Here we go:

A - Hazy light brown color, kind of dull. Not a lot of head, dissipates rather quickly. Decent lacing.

S - Intense flowery hops, along with grain, citrus and faint alcohol.

T - More balanced than the aroma let on. The hops are certainly present, but some nice malt backbone gives this a bittersweet taste.

M - Rich mouthfeel, but with an odd tingly bite at the end

D - Good for a high-powered IIPA, nice above-average brew

01-07-2011 02:28:36 | More by in780
qthompso

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Deep amber. Small head that disappeared quickly and left only a bit of lacing.

S: While there are hops, I expected more from a DIPA. Malt, carmel and mild citrus.

T: The bitterness of the hops really come through, adding bitterness more than flavor. Maltier than expected and notes of carmel and brown sugar.

M: Good medium body with a good level of carbonation.

D: A very drinkable DIPA. While I certainly did enjoy this beer, there are other beers of a the same style that I prefer.

01-04-2011 03:53:32 | More by qthompso
Suds

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

Rich amber color. Decent off-white head, producing small tufts of lace. The head fades quickly, however. Small hop aroma, not quite as mauch as expected....herbal, with a very earthy background. Rustic. Nice balance...malty and sweet with a remarkable hop bitterness and finish. The bitterness is not overdone. Drinkability grows on you. Alcohol is nicely hidden, but sneaks up. Good stuff.

12-23-2010 02:28:32 | More by Suds
drabmuh

Maryland

2.9/5  rDev -23.5%

Beer served in a Russian River tulip...blah. Beer is amber and hazy with a thin off white head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass, carbonation low.

Aroma is super malty with some piny hops.

Beer is kind of a let down, not really feeling it. It's heavy and malty and bland at the same time, Bitterness is low and the finish has a grainy aftertaste. I'm done. There are much better IPAs out there.

12-19-2010 03:56:46 | More by drabmuh
aerozeppl

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Really dark copper color for a DIPA. A finger of slightly darker than white head with really impressive lacing and head retention.

S: The nose is hops but nothing really is picked out of it. No citrus or fruit or anything but just hops. Quite a bit bready as this has a nice malt backbone that can over shine the hops at points.

T: The taste is just like the nose. The hops are there but they have more bitterness than actual flavor. This is quite the malty DIPA which I do enjoy but it lacks complexity.

M: Solid medium body with spot on carbonation. Almost has the feel of a cask ale at points. Very delicate.

D: Really quite drinkable but unremarkable. I remember being really impressed with this a few years ago. It is still good but I have had better since.

12-15-2010 00:09:38 | More by aerozeppl
JizackFH

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

A - This beer pours a dark amber red color, and has a decent sized off-white fizzy head on it. the head left just bits of lacing on the glass.

S - Up front I am getting a lot of caramel sweetness, with a nice hop presence as well. There are also some fruity notes and some citrus.

T - First, I'm getting the sweetness and some hop presence. The hoppy bitterness keeps building all the way to the finish. I am also getting some fruity notes. It is a very well balanced double IPA. The finish is dry and bitter.

M - This beer has a medium body and good carbonation. It has a nice creamy and smooth feel to it as well.The finish is dry and bitter, and the bitterness sticks to the mouth and hangs around for a while.

D - The drinkability is great. It goes down easy, and it is a very well balanced DIPA. I think this beer is a great anytime beer. I could drink these all the time. Good job Arcadia, Cheers.

12-14-2010 07:08:57 | More by JizackFH