Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia HopMouth Double IPAArcadia HopMouth Double IPA

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

The first in a limited edition, 22oz bottled Brew Crew Big Beer Series. 1080 OG; 76 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 12-11-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA Alström Bros
sacullen

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: Pours a murky deep orange/copper. Head was huge, but settled quickly. Not a hint of lacing, but I think the cleaning lady puts my beer glasses into the dishwasher. I didn't ding the score for it. As I drink it, it reminds me of my '99 JW Lees Harvest Ales.

S: Very sweet and malty on the nose. If there are hops in this, I can't smell them. No pine, citrus, or floral scent.

T: The only clue this is a DIPA is in the lasting bitterness. No citrus or pine in the taste at all. I'm starting to wonder if I bought an old bottle.

M: Taste lingers in your mouth for quite a while with its medium feel. It's just a tad bit on the heavy side.

D: Pretty low, if only because I don't think I had the DIPA i was hoping for.

I sometimes get bottles that are old and its obvious. This appears to be one of those times. While there appears to be a date code on the side of the label, nothing is stamped or notched to determine freshness. I still submit reviews based on this. I'm willing to give this brew another shot, but it will be a while before I pick up another bottle.

06-24-2009 19:17:56 | More by sacullen
Alieniloquium

2.65/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Red amber body. Dark and hazy. Not much of a head until the very end, but it manages to hang on and even create some nice lacing.

Smell - Musty pine hops with a strong caramel malt presence. It seems like this could be a sweet one. Diacetyl in the nose too. Hmm.

Taste - Yeah, the diacetyl is back here. Once I noticed it, I can't ignore it. It's not as sweet as I feared, but there's a lot more malt than there is aromatic hop to make it anything special. It's "balanced" I suppose. Would be much better without that diacetyl.

Mouthfeel - Bitter finish. I'm not really having any trouble drinking it, despite its flaws.

Overall - At first I thought I could finish it. Then I started struggling. Eventually I poured the last quarter down the drain.

08-19-2012 22:26:51 | More by Alieniloquium
jpmclaug

South Carolina

2.68/5  rDev -29.3%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Brown-orange color, almost non-existent head that circles the top of the glass, slight lacing

S - Piney hop smell with a hint of malty sweetness

T - piney hops up front with a sweet malty backbone, has an aftertaste of alcohol. I really don't like the taste of alcohol in my DIPA's especially considering it is only 8.1%.

M - medium body with a decent amount of carbonation, about what I expect from a DIPA

D - The alcohol flavors I noticed at the end really make this one a little difficult for me to drink. Also this really isn't all that hoppy for a DIPA.

03-24-2010 00:32:28 | More by jpmclaug
chaz410

2.68/5  rDev -29.3%

I got this bottle from a friend who went to the brewery in Michigan.
I don't know if this bottle was stored poorly or something but IPA is the last impression I got from this beer.
It pours a deep amber body with thin amber hinted head.
Smells of deep caramel, candi sugar, some sweet citrus hops are barely there and theres some hints of biscuit and chocolate.
This already smells like a dubble belgian ale and it taste even more like one. It's exceptionally sweet, almost like a mild IPA that was aged for FAR to long. It's got caramel and raisen notes along with some prune and apple. There's a little hint of hops but you honestly have to search for it. I really think travel took a heafty toll on this beer.

07-30-2010 02:32:36 | More by chaz410
akorsak

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

A tumbler glass served at Capone's.

A: The DIPA has an amber orange color, fairly clear, with a small head that doesn't last long.

S: The aroma is bitter hops, amped up significantly. Citrus notes dominate.

T: The flavor is out of balance. Big oily hops great you up front but never recede to allow for a malty body or any other flavors. The hops are bitter and don't mix well, creating a taste that is a pine-citrus combination that has no clear definition. The lack of focus hurts the taste, as too many things want to stand out but none are able to.

M: The mouthfeel is a big mess of oily pine and citrus hops. If you like big hops that are clearly out of balance, this is for you.

D: I chose this over the Sorachi Ace as my first DIPA of the evening (see my profile for the write-up on Sorachi Ace) and regret it. The flavors never coherently mix and leave a lasting bitterness in the mouth.

03-23-2007 14:43:37 | More by akorsak
miskatonic

2.73/5  rDev -28%

Got a bottle of this straight from the local distributor during a premiere week event for this brand here in Brooklyn - Very nice color as it pours into the glass creating a nice frothy head. Very strong diacetyl smell, overpowering the hop aroma which is fairly subdued on it's own. Taste is very bitter but not nearly a hoppy as I expected especially after reading other reviews. Again a very distinct diacetyl flavor and strong maltiness with more diacetyl and lingering hops in the finish. I was really surprised to taste the diacetyl in this brew - it seemed familiar like the characteristic flavor in many Pugsly system brews, rather than a side affect of mishandling or infection. So maybe this is a charecteristic flavor of all their beers, but it is definitely not for me. I will try this beer again in the future to make sure I am not unfairly criticizing a good beer for a bad sample, but for now I will focus on trying their other beers.

12-05-2006 22:01:23 | More by miskatonic
Lawl3ss

2.73/5  rDev -28%

Chilled 12 oz. bottle into a shaker pint. No visible bottling date

Look- Hazy caramel, medium amber and completely opaque. Three fingers of dense frothy head, nice lacing. At first I assumed the haze was due to a heavy dry hop schedule, but by the time it hit room temp it was transparent, so I'm going to say excess protein played a part as well.

Smell- Bright mango-tangerine and toasted coconut. Takes on a sweeter, almost gingersnap-like toasted spicy aroma as it warms.

Taste- Intensely and richly flavored. Buttered toffee sweetness barely keep the hops in check, and it swings across the bitter-sweet spectrum through the sip, coming off as reasonably balanced in the end. Unfortunately, it's quite buttery, and although not particularly offensive alongside the other flavors, I'm not a fan. Finishes with a touch of dark toasted biscuit and lingering grapefruit zest.

Mouthfeel- Medium mouthfeel, moderate carbonation comes out on the sip, oily texture. Finishes pretty dry.

Overall- I see where this could be an excellent beer, but I hope that every batch doesn't come out like this. It doesn't appear to be skunked, so I'm going to have attribute the issues to Arcadia. I'll definitely give it another chance sometime, however, as it could be great.

08-23-2012 01:09:22 | More by Lawl3ss

alexknuckles

03-16-2013 19:54:14 | More by alexknuckles
dball

2.78/5  rDev -26.6%

I was disappointed with the less than average experience with this beer. I had high expectations based on the cost and rare availability in Virginia. It was less than satisfying in all categories. I expected a big full beer with a lot of hops and a delicious flavor. My experience may have been tainted by inflated expectations but I won't be picking this beer again.

08-08-2010 02:36:34 | More by dball
dfried

2.78/5  rDev -26.6%

I was not impressed with this beer. I really like IPAs and DIPAs so I can be a bit critical. This DIPA did not stand out from others for me. The appearance was just an average amber color with an average white head. The smell was very strong, and floral. What the big turn off for me was the taste. I feel what makes a decent IPA is when there is a flavorful malt backbone to provide something other than pure hop flavor, and hopefully a couple types of hops to provide a spectrum of bitterness. I don't know if I got a stale bottle or what but this one didn't do that for me. There was a slight pale flavor if you looked for it in the after taste, but very bitter, mono-flavor, very pine like, more floral than citrus, hop flavor is all I got out of this one. I am a 'hop head' and I like some really hoppy beer, but there were just too many tannis in this beer from the hops, they kind of turned my stomach. This in turn killed its drinkabiliy.

05-07-2006 01:52:52 | More by dfried
dwvarner77

2.8/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a copper-orange color with a thick frothy head that falls quickly, but leaves a nice retention. Nose is underwhelming; don't get the hit of hops I'd expect with a double IPA. Taste is similar; malty, biscuity, with a little piney hop finish but not enough. Wouldn't be a bad pale ale, but hardly a double IPA, in my opinion. Underwhelming for the style it proclaims. Hopefully I just stumbled upon an old bottle that's lost something....

03-10-2006 05:41:19 | More by dwvarner77
jmz62565

Connecticut

2.8/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a cloudy dark brownish amber with a large foamy white head. Good looking with great lacing. The smell is full of pine hops and cinnamon. The pine hops are almost overpowering and dominate the smell making this smell almost like a perfume or urinal cake. I'll give it a 2.5,but I'm being generous. The taste is,like the smell, full of pine flavored hops with some spices,cinnamon? Not bad,but it's very different from other IPA's. The m/f is light with the flavors clashing. The flavors really don't go together well making this a hard beer to drink. I don't want to slam this beer,but other doubles are much better.

12-23-2006 23:37:55 | More by jmz62565
RonfromJersey

2.8/5  rDev -26.1%

"The Brew Crew Big Beer Series" - I like the sound of that.

Perfectly amber body, very slight haze, fine carbonation streams, topped by several fingers of white froth which too quickly gets the chance to display good lacing.

Nice mix of citrus in a somewhat subdued nose.

Sweet malty start is somewhat fleeting - not overtaken so much as just disappears. It's...replaced?...by herbal/earthy hops which arrive to fill the space as much as balance and overtake. Mild hop tingle on tongue in aftertaste is offset by a bit of residual alcoholic warming in the belly.

OK medium to light-medium mouthfeel.

Might be too drinkable for a DIPA. Except for the belly warming afterglow, this seems to go down too easy for the style.

It's like the elements of the beer each take a solo without ever playing the song together. It's not unpleasant, but neither is it overly rewarding. Overall, a very good looking package whose contents did not quite live up expectations.

07-19-2006 04:03:10 | More by RonfromJersey
Jwale73

Rhode Island

2.83/5  rDev -25.3%

12oz. bottle served in my New Belgium Globe glass. An "a" and a "4" notched on the label. 80% of the glass was consumed by a dense, fluffy, off-white head off the initial pour. As the head slowly receded, a murky, caramel-colored brew was revealed, as well as delicate, concentric circles of lacing. Nose suggests citrus, a slightly piny resinous quality and a metallic character - not much going on here. Taste consistent with nose, but not consistent with a DIPA. Taste doesn't even really meet the standards of a solid IPA. Mouthfeel is somewhat light with very little carbonation. Goes down easy, but not really worth it if your looking for a DIPA. A little too smooth and not much hops happening. However, in all fairness, I'm not sure if this brew was just past its prime and sat around for too long. Might be worth revisiting this review when I have the opportunity to sample a fresh brew.

04-06-2009 23:01:47 | More by Jwale73
charlesw

2.85/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

You're supposed to review first and then read what other people say. Sigh. I blew it, there! But... But... It's not one of the best DIPAs I've ever had. I don't even think it's a DIPA... I mean, yeah. Weird. Picked this up on a trip through the midwest... And, well... It's interesting how many of the "big" beers that I picked up on the trip don't seem big at all in comparison to the big beers I usually drink - left and right coast ones. This beer is no exception. I mean, sure, It has a LOT of flavor and aroma hops but no more body than any random IPA and little bitterness - less than what I get in a typical IPA. Weird. Just plain weird. It's OK, and all, as an IPA but in the DIPA style... Well, I guess I think of that as false advertising.

12-08-2007 19:47:19 | More by charlesw
claminat420

2.85/5  rDev -24.8%

A- poured a nice amber color. slight transparent. white maybe slighty off white one finger head.

S- don't really smell anything. for a double ipa i was hoping for a nice hop scent.

T- once again for a double ipa i was hoping more of a hop attack. very weak. malty balance.

M- medium bodied. nice carbonation

D- glad it only comes in a 4 pack cuz that's prolly i could rock.

Overall- i know arcadia is more on the english style with their brew's. like their ipa is a english style ipa this double shows. the malt balance with the sub-par hop attack makes this brew nothing special. i would say grab a single if you can't try something else. after editing i must say that the hops come in at the aftertaste. still nothing special.

09-27-2009 02:06:49 | More by claminat420
cameraman

Kentucky

2.9/5  rDev -23.5%

A medium to light amber color, with traces of gold along the sides of the glass. A half inch white head forms, but fades away quickly. The strong fragrance of malt comes out at first, then the combination of citrus and pine comes foward to dominate the aroma. The malt is there at the start, then gradually blends to a grassy, grapefruit, citrus, tobbaco flavors meld together at the end. A medium bodied feel, that after each taste, seem to get heavier on the palate. This is a solid IPA, but it is titled a double IPA. Now there are certain arguements on what makes a double IPA and what does not. But, when I see the phrase, double IPA, I am expecting alot of hop flavor and aroma. This beer seem to not deliver to that expectation.

11-13-2007 05:15:55 | More by cameraman
Moxley

2.9/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a bomber into a goblet. Thanks to my fellow BA friend hyland24.

A - Poured a nice golden amber with a short foamy head that settled quickly leaving minimal lacing throughout.

S - Lots of hops, and a woodsy, pine scent. Smelled somewhat like a christmas tree. The aromas became more prevalent as the beer warmed up.

T - Lots of spicy hops up front with a sweet, floral bitter finish. I must say the last few sips of this beer were great.

M&D - Good mouthcoating and definitely a sipping beer - better served at a warmer temperature. Due to the high 8.0% alc vol probably not the best choice if you're looking to drink a lot, but a good alternative if you're looking for a sipping drink and don't like wine.

Glad I got to try it. If you like hoppy beers, you should definitely give this one a try.

04-11-2008 23:25:33 | More by Moxley
drabmuh

Maryland

2.9/5  rDev -23.5%

Beer served in a Russian River tulip...blah. Beer is amber and hazy with a thin off white head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass, carbonation low.

Aroma is super malty with some piny hops.

Beer is kind of a let down, not really feeling it. It's heavy and malty and bland at the same time, Bitterness is low and the finish has a grainy aftertaste. I'm done. There are much better IPAs out there.

12-19-2010 03:56:46 | More by drabmuh
beerdrifter

Germany

2.93/5  rDev -22.7%

Cloudy, deep orange-copper pour with quickly fading head and minimal lacing. Very malty nose with hints of tea, resin and alcohol. Lots of bitter hop resin and alcohol in the taste as well with little of the malt sweetness making its presence known. The alcohol is not well hidden in this one and the mouthfeel is very syrupy which really hurt the drinkability for me. This was a really disappointing beer that may have been bad due to age. Would probably give it a second chance if it were fresh.

07-19-2010 16:35:32 | More by beerdrifter
ncvbc

2.93/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Beyond appearance, this one threw me for a loop. Poured a deep murky amber with a massive head that left thick and sticky lacing down the glass. Steady carbonation that rises slowly toward the top of the glass. A weird, earthy floral scent. Lavender or something with some piney hops behind that. Not much malt to be found in the nose. Taste was a little better than I had hoped after smelling this. The pine hops are a little more up front with the floral hops taking a back seat. Still, somewhat rough around the edges with just a little caramel malt sweetness that attempts to provide balance yet doesn't really do so. A slightly bitter and drying finish. I can't call this one of my favorites but it's definitely different. Interesting, to say the least.

12-18-2007 15:53:46 | More by ncvbc