Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia HopMouth Double IPAArcadia HopMouth Double IPA

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

The first in a limited edition, 22oz bottled Brew Crew Big Beer Series. 1080 OG; 76 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 12-11-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA Alström Bros
2.4/5  rDev -36.7%

Look: Brownish orange center with a dark yellowish ring around the top and bottom with a 1/4 head and no retention or lace

Smell: Piney hops upfront with a citrus hops in the middle and a bit of orange peel and lemon

Taste: Here is where the beer was just awful for me. It tasted of stale grapefruits and bad citrus mixed in with some cough syrup. This was the closes thing to a drain pour that I have experienced

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a medium level of carbonation and a dry finish

Overall: Reviewing it fairly I enjoyed everything about this beer but the taste. This is one of the worst tasting DIPA's I have every had. Maybe I am spoiled by the delicous west coast DIPA's I dont know but this one had the worst flavors I have ever experienced in this style

DarthKostrizer, Jul 16, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Stella Artois goblet.

Appears a pumpkiny orange brown with a very thin layer of foam.

Smells heavy and deep of malty hops. Not too bitter in the nose - a little bready.

Tastes hoppy but no pick up of floral or citrus... Just a heavy duty malty balanced flavor.

Mouthfeel is pretty full and lasting. Decent stuff.

Overall I'm not superimpressed here. I feel like it doesn't fully deliver the goods on the double IPA.

Yagman3000, Jul 16, 2011

This beer poured out as a copper color with a thick creamy white head on it. The lacing was pretty good on the glass here. The smell of the beer gives off a big nose of earthy and citrusy hops. There is also the aroma of some malt in there too. The taste of the beer has some citrus also along with a strong malt backbone. The mouthfeel of this beer has a pretty nice texture to it. It's slightly thick and a little oily, Overall it's an enjoyable IIPA but not my favorite.

Knapp85, Jul 14, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

A. Pours out a copper body with minimal retention, sparse lacing and some carbonation.
S. Has a floral and pine aroma.
T. The taste starts off with a floral hops taste, followed by a hint of citrus and finishes off with some pine. Some sweet malts seem to be in the back throught out to give the beer a nice balance.
M/O. The mouthfeel is a dry, but sticky on the lips feel that is rather easy to drink and good tasting.

DannyDan, Jun 22, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Light brown head, hazy brown in color, with touches of red.

S: Pine smells, with some citrus. Some sweetness in there as well, I wouldn't necessarily say it is caramel, but definitely a malt sweetness. Perhaps just a touch of fruit.

T: Pine flavor, and a touch of juniper. There is a residual sweetness, and a touch of roasted grain. Pretty good. Almost has a bit of a barley wine character. In the finish there is a real nice bitterness.

M: Medium thick in body, carbonation works with it.

O: It's good, but not great. Perhaps it is simply a lack of complexity.. still good, just not outstanding.

Beejay, Jun 16, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

This pours a deep, opaque red with a two finger eggshell head that dies down to almost nothing with no lace. On the nose there is a sweet caramel and toffee note that rides roughshod over the hops, which are deep pine. The caramel seems almost caramelized, or perhaps there is toasted malt mixing in with it. In the mouth the toffee really comes through even more. There is something deeper, too, maybe rum-soaked figs or something like that, more indicative of an English barleywine really, but a pleasant surprise to me. The hops are there but more lingering or simmering than the standard jackhammer treatment. The body is medium, fine, but in the finish there is something just a bit too astringent, maybe some booze, maybe a bit over over-caramelization or something.

Overall, this is a nice DIPA, a welcome break from a style littered with similar tasting beers. If you like a maltier IPA, this is something to seek out.

EricCioe, Jun 06, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

A- Two fingered light caramel colored head atop a very dark amber/red beer...darker than most of it's style counterparts. Well above average lacing and head retention. Looks great.

S- Faint tropical smell, some booziness.

T- Follows the nose only heavy on the booze. Deep caramel malt. Hops are present but don't stand out as much as other DIPAs.

M- Rich and creamy. Normal carbonation.

D/O- Lacks the hop bite that is at the forefront of so many of it's contemporaries, although the malt backbone is nice. Loved the booze factor in this one but would stop at one. Good, but not great.

Duff27, Jun 02, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Slightly dark amber with a one finger tan head after an aggresive pour. Carbonation mild but continuous. Kind of hoping for some sediment..

S: Grassy hops make up most of the nose but there's a biscuit malt that's significant as well. Hint of nut

T: Hoppy but very reserved. Kind of an earthy feel but not much transition into the bitter finish. Caramel touch jumps out every now and then

M: Really creamy and unlike a typical DIPA. The alcohol warms. Very good flavorful, dry finish

O: Comes up a bit short for the style, I feel. Nothing "carries" this beer although it's a good choice for those getting into DIPA's.

brewemstrong, Jun 01, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Aggressive pour yields 2/3 finger white head with good retention. Nice deep red amber liquid. More head would be nice, but still a 4.5
S: Lemonhead candy, fresh ripe peach, slight mango. Nice, but not quite Man Candy. Buttery malt.
T: Surprisingly malty in the buttery fashion. Light but pleasant citrus hop, fresh cut grass. Not hoppy but very tasty. More an EIPA. Delicious, but a bit too sweet.
M: Solid, smooth, moderately bitter, a bit cloying.
D: Great, I would love another and will buy again.

dfillius, May 17, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Style: imperial IPA
Brewed by: Arcadia Brewing Co.
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Rating: 3.7
First had: on tap at Ron's Original Bar & Grille, Exton, PA

Cloudy, brown with a nice white head. Smell was not too strong, but I detected the typical hoppiness of an IPA with some maltiness in the background. Hops weren't too strong surprisingly when I took a sip, making it a bit smoother and easily drinkable.

Rifugium, Apr 28, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

A: deep cloudy, burn orange body, trace head, luscious lacing

S: Clean pine/grassy aroma, slight pineapple/orange scent

T: sweet lemon, trace of pineapple front, earthy big pine/grass middle, long seduction bitter sticky finish

M: med/heavy body, slick + oily mouth

O: Dare I say a "nearly sessionable" Double IPA? Nice earthy Imperial IPA, not world class, but still rather good. Could find myself having more than one to be sure.

GOOD STUFF, GIVE IT A GO!

BeerLover99, Apr 28, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Michigan is blessed with some killer breweries! Let's see if this is one of them. 12oz bottle...

A: A murky medium brown / bronze type color with a small 1/4 inch off white head that fades quickly to small bubbly above the brew. Good.

S: Smells of mild floral hops upfront with mild sugary malt on the backend. Not much else. Very faint scents. Ok.

T: A very tame DIPA. Almost an iced tea type flavor dominating this brew. Some mild bitter floral hops upfront with some hints of malt sugars. An apple taste in the middle with a mild booze taste on the backend. Good here.

M: Medium body with a great carbonation. A nice clean / slightly dry finish. Very good.

O: All in all, this is a solid beer. Not mind blowing, but good. If your IPA needs a heavy hop bite, this is not for you. This is more of a balance between slight hop and malt. Try if this sounds like your type of IPA.

steve8robin, Apr 14, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +9%

A: three very complementary colors fusing together: copper, some reds, and a strong splash of orange. A good blanket of creamy ecru colored foam rests atop with comfortable dabs and streaks of lacing. Very tasty looking

S: nose holds plenty of toasted malts with ample hops. The balance between the two is nice. Considering the brewery I would have expected no less. They like the best of both worlds

T: snappy bitter hops and sweetly toasted malts. The hops have a grapefruit and lemon sort of piney resinous character. The malt bill is very sweet and sticky (toffee nut and maybe a pinch of dark fruit). A pretty good blend of flavors going on.

Considering other DIPA's I find the malt profile a smidgen to strong...not a bad thing though as it's still super quaff-able

M: medium to strong carbonation. Plenty of bitter and sticky in the finish. Body is medium in feel with some chunky notes

O: i super like it. A great brewery and great beer. Much of what Arcadia does I like and enjoy very much so. Easy to drink

Magpie14, Apr 02, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -49.9%

Pored from a 12 oz bottle

The color is a darker amber with a ruby tint that doesn't look like your normal IIPA.

The smell is really disapointing!! No hops at all. It has a pilsner smell with a little banana. I would never guess this to be anything other than a pilsner.

It taste very metallic, a little booze, with a faint banana aftertaste. UGHHH, really! What a disapointment. For the price, there is no way I buy this again.

It would be a drain pour if I wasn't such a lush,

End of review

JDizzle, Mar 31, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

I picked up a single of this at the Lager Mill for $2.49. I haven't had a DIPA in a while and this is the first time I have seen this beer so I figured I would give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. There was no bottling date. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the new label art on this beer, it's an angry looking evil hop cone. This beer poured a nice copper/amber color with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer and left some nice lacing.

S- Damn this is one sweet smelling brew. I am hit over the head with tons of super sweet caramel malts. I get some citrus hops also but its not as dominating as I would expect from a DIPA. I pick up some dark fruits and raisins from the grains and a good amount of booze that lets u know its there.

T- Pretty similar to the aroma with that sweet malty backbone pretty much taking over the flavor profile. Theres some citrus hops there but not much, seems like this might be a pretty old bottle since all signs point to the hops being faded over time. There is some slight bitterness on the finish but not much and the alcohol was not hidden well at all.

M- Medium bodied with descent carbonation.

Overall I was pretty disappointed in this brew. When I buy a DIPA I expect it to be heavy on the hops and this was not. If I didn't know what style of beer this was I probably would have thought it was a Scotch ale or something. I suspect this may be an old bottle but Arcadia doesn't give me any date to go by so I am holding that against them. I might try this again if I know its fresh but I am sure as hell not paying $2.50 for a bottle again. I got this expecting a nice hoppy brew and all I was left with was a disappointing super sweet malt bomb. Put some dates on you bottles Arcadia, this shit doesn't cut it.

StoutHunter, Mar 24, 2011
1.83/5  rDev -51.7%

Fairly new 12oz bottle shared by Jesse13713; new label art though I didn't think to check the exact date. Poured into shaker pint.

A: Pours a cloudy amber/light-brown color, with one finger of white head, complete with decent retention and some spotty lacing.

S: Caramel and toffee malts, some light resinous hops- not nearly what I was expecting for a DIPA. As the beer warms they become to come through a bit more heavily, but only really enough to balance the sweet malt.

T: Loads of ethanol here; this is a very astringent beer. Light malt sweetness pokes through, as do a bit more hops than were evident in the aroma, but you really have to search for them. I only found myself coming close to enjoying the flavor when I was mindlessly gulping it down to finish my glass.

M: Somewhat thin body with light carbonation, and loads of alcoholic warmth.

O: Not a big fan of this one at all; there's way too much spicy alcohol with nothing else to back it up or balance it. Although the hop profile did come out in some strength near room temperature, its quality wasn't appealing enough to enable me to enjoy this one.

AwYeh, Mar 23, 2011

Served from Cask in a Snifter at the Firkin back in October 2010

Color is a deep reddish brown with a small off white foamy head.

Piny hops smell more than a grapefruit smell.

Taste has a slight maltyness to go with the piny hops. Taste finishs is somewhat bitter from the hops.

A good DIPA and my first cask beer. I think there are better examples of the style out there.

jsulko, Mar 21, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance - A very rich and caramely amber-orange beer. Little head on this one. Light to medium lacing capability. Appears to have low carbonation.

Smell - Smells strongly of hops and bitters. Slight citrus. Not as strong smelling as I thought.

Taste - A surprisingly tamed tasting imperial IPA. I am not overwhelmed with hops or bitterness; which is a nice surprise. Very rich in malts and caramel on the tongue. The hop qualities come on the finish but are quickly tamed by more malts.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Very well balanced between sweet malts and bitter hops. One of the most caramelized imperial IPA's I've tasted. Slight zesty orange became more apparent later on.

Jesse13713, Mar 20, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a bottle into a wine glass.

A This is a beautiful beer, it has a nice rust color with a small head and slow moving carbonation.

S The beer holds a nice fragrant smell of hops and alcohol, almost a perfume aroma.

T It has a pretty light start with some raisin hints, as the name would suggest it holds a strong hop finish. I almost expected a more bitter finish, which is a good thing.

M It has a nice feel not too heavy but still thick enough to have some flavor.

This is not the best beer that you will ever have. But it is good enough to drink, and you are on beer advocate so I assume you appreciate most beers just like me.

Stang895, Mar 18, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -0.3%

A huge thanks to my buddy Kevin (kzoobrew) for this great beer. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a rather dark amber, almost light brown color into my SA Perfect Pint. About a finger of slight tan head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates relatively quickly leaving thing, but pretty full lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Lots of floral hops (reminds me of Hoptober a it off the bat). And then more floral hops. Just a hint of citrus, but after the hops a noticeable bready, sweet malty backbone comes through.

Taste - Pretty spot on to the nose. While there is a nice hop profile in the flavor, the malty backbone really takes over, which personally isn't something I prefer. A bit too sweet for me with various caramel and toffee flavors.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, good carbonation for the style.

Drinkability - It is pretty quaffable, but again not a beer I'd choose over others available. Just a bit too malty for me.

SpdKilz, Mar 15, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1 pint 6oz bottle into a tulip glass. The label has a nice description of the beer but no freshness date or abv.

Appearance: There is a deep copper brown body with dark amber highlights and a light haze. Up on top it has a two finger thick foam head that slowly fades to a thin light beige covering. This covering hangs on well and makes lots a spotty lacing.

Smell: I get a heavy and sweet malt with equal amounts of citrus hops. Notes of booze covered raisins with canned mandarin oranges and lemon zest mingle over a bed of grain.

Taste/Palate: There is lots of lemon and lemon zest with orange like hop notes coming through rich sweet bready and grain flavored maltiness. Its abv is noticeable and warming. The finish has more herbal/leafy hop notes pushing in with a solid bitterness slowly fading from the tongue. It texture has a slightly slick feel with light carbonation.

Notes: This beer came to play and it brought lots of nice hops along for the fun.

generallee, Mar 07, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a dark orange colour with thin white head and very minimal lacing. Smells of citrus and earthy hops with some odd vegetable aroma. Small bitterness in the flavour, doesn't really seem like a double IPA though. Medium body carbonation. A below average double IPA, but drinkable enough to finish the bottle. Not going to seek this out again.

kwjd, Mar 07, 2011

A- pours darker than I expected, a dark copper with a off-white foamy, rocky head.

S- strong grapefruit with a little toffee in the background, very pleasant and inviting.

T- Hmmm... grapefruit and toffee with an additional sweet honey flavor that is reminiscent of Hopslam (although not quite on that level). Tart grapefruit bitterness sticks with you in the finish as well.

M- lightly carbonated, dry finish, medium bodied.

D- Nice drinkable DIPA, it's my first beer from Arcadia, and I'll look to try more of their brews in the future.

Franz4, Mar 06, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a hazy brownish orange colour with an average size frothy beige coloured head. I can't really tell how much carbonation there is and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - malts, caramel, grapefruit, hops

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and the beer has a full bodied taste. I can pick up on lots of malts and hops mixed with a caramel sweetness. There are also some notes of pineapple and grapefruit and also some dark fruit flavours. The beer finishes with a bitter sweet hoppy aftertaste.

Drink - The alcohol was well hidden and the beer has a lot of different flavours going on - very complex. I enjoyed this beer and it was worth seeking out.

spinrsx, Mar 02, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance: Pour is a hazy orange almost seems like lots of yeast left in this one.Head is very thin with slight lacing.

Smell: Has a very hoppy floral aroma.

Taste: bitter hops are the focus here.

Mouthfeel: Body is lightand watery.

Drinkability: Not something I want to drink again. I cannot recall if I liked anything from this brewery but I keep trying.

ejimhof, Feb 27, 2011