Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia HopMouth Double IPAArcadia HopMouth Double IPA

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 12-11-2005

The first in a limited edition, 22oz bottled Brew Crew Big Beer Series. 1080 OG; 76 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA Alström Bros
firstprev| 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next → last
4.1/5  rDev +9%

Poured a relatively transparent chestnut and maroon color with a creamy off white head that had solid lacing and retained well in the glass.
Aroma was all Maris Otter Malt with juicy, frity, hoppy notes with just a touch of piney resins.
Flavor was dominated by a strong caramel noe but a hint of chocolate also arose before a bombardment of citrus and resinous bittering took over.
Mouthfeel was mostly well balanced with thick, full malt in the front and a nicely increasing IBU punch on the close.
Drinkability was very solid. An incredible reversal from the very mediocre effort that was Batch 999, this is a simple but very well made "big IPA." Let's hope this is a sign of a bit of turn around at Arcadia as they seem to have suffered in the last year or so. (768 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep bronze and clear, quite appealing to look at, topped by a fairly dense stand of off-white head. Good retention and lots of lace throughout. Powdery hop aroma, some pine and white grapefruit, along with sweet oranges. Alcohol was just beneath the surface. Solid bitterness was balanced by mild caramel sweetness. There was a bit of biscuity malt, as well as tangerine and a bit of spice in the dry finish. Medium body, decent mouthfeel. Good balance overall and an easy drinker. (482 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

Stopped in to see my buddy trbeer while on holiday and got a bomber of this in trade. Thanks for the opportunity! Pours a 1.5 finger caramel/tan-brown head over a slightly cloudy red-brown liquid. Smells citrus hoppy, alcoholic, and caramel...all this just during the pour. To the nose...citrus pith is clean. Grapefruit clean lemon. A wet malty sugar sweet. Tastes wonderful. Not a flavor bomb, this is delicate and subdued. Hop bitter is present with some rough cohumulone character that mixes with arough alcohol. Not a completely like a cheap vodka alcohol, but it does have an edge of that roughness. Malt sweet is tame beneath the hop flavor and just serves as a mildy fruity backdrop that supports the hops. Some caramel, but more fruity like dried apricots. Hop flavor is oranges and a drying pith. A bitter and dry oil mouthfeel that increases in intensity as the beer warms. The beer has a wonderfull smooth creaminess that is countered by a dry finish. The hop bitter becomes more intense as I got farther into the beer almost becoming a brutal abuse of my tongue. (1,075 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

A well made DIPA from Arcadia. Pours out to a hazy orange color with a 1/4 inch head of foam. Lace is abundant. Medium low level of carbonation. Aromas of fresh hops and pine are powerful, with some hints of a sweet candy like note lingering in the background. Flavors of hops dominate, with an oily consistancy not found in many DIPA's. A touch of malt and sweet grain are hidden under the massive amounts of hops. Mouthfeel was again, rather oily, but could've been a touch more on the dense side without being offensive. Pretty good drinkability. This is the brew for hopheads. Recommended. (593 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -15.2%

Frothy white head atop a dark topaz body. There is an immediate burst of fresh, flowery hop aroma with faint hints of coffee and malt. Initial taste brings back the floral hops from the nose balanced by malt character that is not as sweet as would be expected in a double IPA. As the beer warms, the malt flavor becomes earthier and more pronounced, as does the alcoholic aftertaste.

Although it appears sufficiently syrupy, the mouthfeel actually seems a bit watery and rather thin, leaving something to be desired. The head retention is nice, but the body seems to lose its carbonation quickly, which doesn’t help drinkability.

Overall, a decent double IPA, but there are many others I would reach for first. It sort of reminded me of a lesser version of Ale Smith’s IPA. (782 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Hopmouth flowed out of the bomber bottle sporting a fairly deep shade of amber as a colour. Red is an apt description. The gaze through the beer was not a clear one. It is a bit hazy. A spitty off-white head puffed up. It did not make a lasting impression as it turned into pond scum fairly rapidly. The carbonation is low with this one. It is throwing off some impressive splattery splots of lace.

The nose is rife with hop odour as expected. Somewhat of a pointed grapefruit aroma. It also has some overinfused hop vegetable qualities that are verging on earning themselves a classification as off scents. There is definitely something that is not quite appetizing in the nose. Maybe a sourness. Dry hop infestation or some deal. A smidge of funkiness. Hell, I don't know, I just drink em. There seems to be a solid malt profile going on as well.

The taste is nice. Thankfully the nearly off aspect of the nose is not fogging the flavour at all. The hop profile is nice and fresh in the taste. Grass, pine, resin, grapefruit, and dilute orange come to mind. All the while, the malt base is sturdy. This nearly achieves a balance, but it is still coming across as a "big brew" show of brutality in some respects. I do like it that the malts feel like they were doubled up to match the generous hopping. To be truthfull, this isn't really all that bitter with all of the mouthwatering sweetness flooding over the acidic qualities. It is dry. Not desert dry. That sweetness keeps my mouth wet enough to offset this effect.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick. I might be persuaded into saying this is heavy bodied. As mentioned, the malt character is well established and it shows through on the palate.

The drinkability is good for a "big brew." I am not having any difficulties flushing this through for a tour of my insides. I hope my liver approves as much as my taste buds do. Doubtful. This one was a bit of a disappointment. I have one to age, so we'll see what happens. The almost "offity" of the nose has me a bit concerned. (2,040 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Yawn. Wow, another "exteme" IPA, in America, how novel!

Pours a medium and clear chestnut in color with a creamy off white head that had pretty good retention. Nose is predictably very, very citrusy, smells of pink grapefruit and not much else. Taste is of course, very hoppy, with a decent malt background, but it doesn't stand up to the hop onslaught.

I'm pretty tired of these kinds of beers, there is no balance or artistry to it, it's just trying to get a beer as hoppy as possible and it really isn't impressive honestly. It does play to those who love this stuff though, so an increased market share to Arcadia is a nice effect, since they put out some decent beers, but this one... I'm not a fan of. Decently crafted though, fresh and juicy.

Slàinte! (769 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

Wow, first, I think I'd call this more a Double English IPA, I don't get the freakish overload of citrus notes off of this beer that I do off of other double IPAs.

Pours a pretty clear ambers, with a decent head retention. Lacing was pretty impressive as well. I get a slightly piney aroma here, some grassy and earthy notes as well. Taste is *gasp* balanced, tons of malts supporting the hops. Some grapefruity notes appear with the malts, but not an overload of them. Mouthfeel is amazingly thick and rich. Carbonation is just there, not overwhelming, and a good supporting player. I think we need more Double IPAs like this one. (635 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +20.7%

We need more Imperial IPAs like this. It reminds me of *gasp* Three Floyd's Dreadnought. Sure, it doesn't taste like Dread, but the same elements are there. It has a solid malt backbone with a full (for a IIPA) body and nice carbonation coupled with hit-you-over-the-head-hops. A strong english presence in the nose and flavour, while the bittering hops cleanse the palatte for the next swig. There is just enough alcohol to accentuate the hops without overpowering them.
A masterpiece. Plain and Simple. If you like the style, buy this guy.

That said . . . there is something missing here. I don't know what it is, but I have a vague, unfullfilled feeling as I finish this beer. I can't tell you what it is, but something is missing. There is a hole in this beer that I can't put my finger on. It is a hole that most IIPAs suffer from, so I won't judge it harshly for it, but I just want to know what it is. I don't know what it is, but it is very pronounced in this beer. (980 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours to a nice copperee-amberee color with an off-white head. The lacing in very nice. The aroma is maltee, and caramelee, with a citrusee hoppee presence. Nice and juicee.

The flavor is again maltee, and caramelee, with a nice fruitee hoppiee taste. It is a bit resinee too. Mouthfeel is a bit creamee and drying in the finish. A medium-full bodieed brew. Very yummy.

Thanks Tommee. (391 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours with decent head, the body is amber. Aroma of Marris Otter, as indicated on the label, with piny, resinous hops.

I am probably biased from the start in favor of any IIPA I haven't had, and this one is no different. The malt starts to balance the hops, but doesn't succeed. This isn't sweet like many IIPAs. The hops taste fresh, wet, and piney. Creamy, full-bodied mouthfeel, with high drinkability. (409 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +13%

Appearance: Nice slightly hazed dark copper color, decent off-white head that fades slowly, leaving almost solid lacing on the glass.

Smell: A great smell, with bubblegum-sweet hop scent, floral and robust. Malt is also noticeable and rich.

Taste: Starts out immedietly very sweet and citric, like biting into a grapefruit, and eventually shifts into a full alcohol-malt-hop experience which ends with a lingering grassy quality.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and full, perfect for the style.

Drinkability: I like the use of fresh hops, but lacks the intensity of being an elite DIPA (in other words, I expect to shred my tongue on hop cones). (648 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Purchased at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids, MI.

Pours a really nice looking dark amber color with a one finger head that settles to almost no cap. Despite the head fading almost completely away there's quite a bit of lacing.

Smell; slightly herbal with notes of oranges and pine trees. There's also a distinct malt presence in the aroma. Really nice.

Taste; the hops hit at first with the citrus and resiny pine, but it's not over the top like a lot of DIPAs. There's a really solid sweet malt backbone to this that I'm really enjoying. I get no alcohol bite in the flavor, but there is a definite warming after a few sips. This is one of the more balanced DIPAs that I've had so far. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly oily from the hop oils.

I've had other Arcadia beers in the past, and while not bad, I wouldn't seek them out. As for this one, I wish I had picked up more than just this one when I had the chance. (933 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9%

Pours a nice dark caramel body with some red hints to it. Light beige/off-white head. Not much head on the pour and didn't last too long, finished with small clumps of bubbles on the top.

Aroma is strong with caramel malts with hints of honey. Hops come through with strong floral notes and a bit of pine resin. Could be a bit stronger.

A very malty body which balances well with the hops. A bit of the sweet caramel malts come through with some biscuit. Hops are floral mostly with resin coming through again, much like the aroma except more bitter. A well balanced beer. Also has a touch of butteryness, but not strong enough to be a turn off. A bit of alcohol warmth comes through as well. This has a nicely crafted taste, but it could be a bit more forthcoming.

Mouthfeel is good, not too thick, but still has an oilyness to it making it a bit slick on the tongue. This is a very drinkable brew. Nicely hopped but balanced well with a full body.

Thanks to gaisgeil for the opportunity. (1,001 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +16.2%

The first "Big Beer Series" offering from Arcadia.

Crimson orange in color with a large airy head that dissipates quickly. Lacing is minimal at best.

Aroma begins with zesty bitter orange peel but soon pine sap is what I'm getting most. Honey and herbal notes reside along the pineyness.

Taste has more of a bready malt base, almost like Hawaiian sweet breads. But that's almost all the extent of the malts. Hops are prevalent and abundant in this beer. Quite resiny and fruity. Lower acidity and some more herbal flavors. Really quite fruity though but not citric. Alcohol fusels are definitely noticeable but they add an element of heat which the less acidic, more refined hops need. Finish is all bitter hops without the high alpha acids.

This is a great British DIPA. The hops come through and are used brilliantly. Screw the malty balance, there's just enough to let the hops shine and coat the mouth. Get some. (930 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +12.5%

Brilliant, deep ruby-brown/red fades to orangeish in my .5L Pils Glass. A finger-thick cap of off-white head slowly smoothing from a dimpled start. I can smell some caramelly malt under an herbally bitter hop bite. Light malts, slightly nutty, somewhat bready with a hint of caramel sweetness. Hops come on potent, overpowering the malts with a tasty combination of grassy, herbal, and resinous hops. I really like the fact that the malt is not super syrupy sweet, but I’ve had single IPAs that were hoppier. Hard to mark it down for that though because by balance it is DEFINITELY a DIPA, and this is probably the first DIPA I’ve had that is truly a Double India *Pale Ale*, since IMO a double pale ale should not be nearly a barleywine in it’s sweet maltiness. Lighter body than most DIPAs. I hope they keep producing this, I’ve got a case of it on order. Drinkable? HELLZ YEA! (883 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

from the bottle. when I opened this I got a big wiff of pine I thought christmas tree in a bottle. poured a honey with a small light tan head. aroma, pine, honey dominate this one for me, malts caramel, hops. flavor was a little surprised that the pine was not very strong, got a sticky brown sugar malt 1st than the hops came out as it warm got a bit of alcohol. (363 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured from an undated bomber into an imperial pint. Label sez," The first in our Brew Crew Big Beer Series, Arcadia Hopmouth Double IPA is a tasty fix for your hop jones. Huge Maris Otter malt and a more than generous amount of fresh hops make this beer memorable. As our Brew Crew says, "Go big or go home!".

Clear dark copper with a small head of off white. The head barely shrinks but holds its ground and leaves nice webs of lace.

The nose is very clean with piney and floral hops that have a rather leafy smell. There's enough malt sweetness for balance, and its not an in your face hop assault that most DIPAs present. That's because this smells like a DIPA should. It shouldn't smell like some raw crazy ass over hopped Barley Wine.

Same with the taste. My tongue didn't shrivel up and blow away like a leaf in the wind from too much hop oil. I can taste hops, the whole hops AND I can taste the malts. The sweetness comes through and works nicely with the hop profile. No alcohol flavor detected, again this is not some raw BW.

Nice medium to full mouth that leaves the slightest trace of hop oil. As sessionable as a big bitter beer goes.

I'm not the biggest fan of Arcadia's standard lineup, but they cranked out a very nice beer that I will revisit for sure. Now I want to know more about the Brew Crew Big Beer Series. To be specific, what's next and when can I get my hands on it!? (1,411 characters)

firstprev| 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next → last