Arcadia Nut Brown Ale - Arcadia Brewing Company

English Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-25-2002

1.4/5  rDev -59.3%

Appearance - uncaps with a rush of air. Pours a caramel brown color, two to three fingers of light tan head springing up quickly.

Aroma - brett through and through. Explains the burst of air on opening.

Taste - ugh, totally brett-influenced. Now if you like that kind of thing, this would be like an Imperial Orval I suppose. But I don't like it.

Mouthfeel - thinnish body, obviously *very* carbonated.

Drinkability - two sips and done, this was very harsh. Label code has notches on the D and the 6, FWIW.

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

1.6/5  rDev -53.5%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a glass. Label is notched, looks like February and a 3. God I hope this things isn't from 2003. But it can't be it just came in to the local grocery and I thought I would buy the first micro I have ever seen them carry.

Appearance: Lots of foam. This bottle is part of a mix pack and several of the bottles poured as nothing but foam. It took 30 minutes for an amber to settle the other night. This one ended up about half foam and half liquid. Settles slowly, leaving nice lacing and a 1/4 inch of light tan head. The beer itself is a reddish brown, almost peach when held to the light. Lots of bubble activity and a fair amount of floaties.

Smell: A strong, acidic, almost sour tang, with hints of sweet molasses.

Taste: Sour and acidic upfront. Very yeasty with an herbal bitterness. Imagine a Flemish ale mixed with a nut brown. Not good at all.

Mouthfeel: Body is average. Carbonation is too high for this style.

Drinkability: This will probably be a drain pour. I have had other Arcadia ales and enjoyed them, so I can only assume something is wrong with this beer. But, nearly my entire mixed 12 pack has had carbonation issues. Maybe they are having some QC issues.

2.16/5  rDev -37.2%

Uh-oh. I suspected trouble when I opened the bottle, took a whiff, and checked to make sure I didn't accidently open a bottle of grape soda. The two smells are indistinguishable. So then I pour it into a glass and become downright suspicious. With a gentle pour, I was left with a glass entirely filled with foam. This must be a bad bottle, right? But it was part of a sampler, and the other beers were fine (OK, not very good, but fine). So now I'm pretty convinced that this is how the beer is supposed to be. After several minutes of settling, this beer has a nice copper color with an off-white head. The aroma, as stated, is sweet and fruity, like grape juice. The flavor is not far off from grape juice either. It's sweet, fruity, and tangy. The yeast tastes sour. Another weak beer from a brewery that is really failing to impress.

2.25/5  rDev -34.6%

2.31/5  rDev -32.8%

A - This is a good looking brown ale with a clear root beer hue and a beast of a head that went up to four fingers and then some. The khaki foam went right up over the edge of my imperial pint glass and ran down the side! The brew itself looks a little bit purple like wood varnish, and the head gets really rocky and crazy looking as it slowly snap crackle and pops it's way down to a solid two finger honeycomb web. I've really never seen a better looking brown.

S - Tart orange rind notes hit my nose right away, and I find this ab bit strange for the style. Acrid hops and some bitter metallic aromas are almost offensive. Thank God it's not very assertive in the nose. This looks so beautiful! WTF happened?

T - This tastes a lot like those orange-foam-filled-chocolates that can be found in an assorted "Forest Gump" box. Unfortunately, I really don't like those chocolates with the orange junk in the middle. Some cashew flavors are there too, but not in abundance.

M - Light bodied and acidic with some prickly carbonation. Not good.

D - "I don't really care for this one." That's what my wife tells me to say in public instead of "this sucks big fat hairy goat balls." Once, I told her in front of herfamily that her aunt's root vegetable salad "tasted like disease" instead I should have just said..."I really care for this." How can one of the best looking beers I've seen in a long time smell so offensive and taste so mediocre?

2.39/5  rDev -30.5%

A: Dark hazelnut brown. A little reddish. Head is creamy brown.
S: Light malty scent with overpowering alcohol notes that come out more as the beer warms.
T: Nutty flavor that quickly fades to alcohol. Very unbalanced.
M: Would have scored a 3 if it didn't get worse as it warmed.

Overall a rather poor showing. The nut flavor is there but overpowered by alcohol which is disappointing given the lower ABV.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks goes out to Vancer for this brew.

Pours a nice dark brownish color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, some nic sticky lacing to follow. The nose is malty, slightly sour, lots of caramel. The taste is malty, sour/tangy, dark fruits, and some caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, there's a pattern with these Arcadia brew's that I'm not really liken so far. Of the three I've had so far today, there is a tendency to be sour, when not called for, in my opinion. Maybe bad bottles or just not what I was expecting. So, I'm not a big fan of this brewery so far.

2.56/5  rDev -25.6%

I poured myself a pint and was immediately struck by the brightness and clarity of the glass--it appeared to be more of a deep amber or red than brown in color. The nose was also relatively aromatic as I suspect it was dry hopped. As I sunk into the pint, it was also apparent there was a little less body than I'd typically look for. Now, truth told, most true English browns that I've had ARE a little lighter in body than their North American brethren, so I'm sure this is an ode to style, but the lighter body, coupled with the rather sharp and potent hop bite was really quite different than expected. In fact, in my view, it was rather unpleasant. I detected no "nuttiness," "earthiness" and very little malt sweetness, despite a search party sent out to find it. To me, it was more of a hearty pale ale or IPA than a nut brown.

While the beer is clean, it lacked any semblance of balance and seemed to have been formulated with a heavy hand in the hop bucket.

2.61/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The beer pours a brown color with a thin tan head that fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is less than average. It has a contaminated scent that boasts of pale, crystal, and roasted malts along with a sour, spoiled yeast aroma. The taste is less than average as well. It has a weak and watery "brown" ale flavor that goes down quick butt sours in the finish. There is definately some contamination here. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This one's going down the drain. I really can't believe that a brewery would distribute all over the country, beer that is clearly subpar and bacteria exposed. Where's the quality control?

2.62/5  rDev -23.8%

Cola and ruby brown color. Good two finger head after the pour that remains as a thick film of foam for all twelve ounces.

A little vingegar and super-ripe fruit. Just a whisper of roasted malt. Something must be wrong with this batch. I hope!

Tart, a little vinegary. Toasted mlat pops out in the middle and finish. Tart fruits and vinegar throughtout the whole flavor profile. Palate is light and tart. Odd for a brown ale.

2.66/5  rDev -22.7%

Very little head with light lacing.

Light brown color.

Sweet, malty aroma.

Bitter flavor. Hoppy bite. Not enough carmel flavor to overpower the bitterness. More hops than I would prefer in this style.

This is one that I will not purchase again. The bitterness really overpowers this beer.

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Fair head for a brown with some lingering lacing on the glass. Color is very clear for a brown. A very mild nutty aroma. Not impressive. Taste and mouth feel are extremely thin. There's really not much here to satisfy. Given Arcadia's strong distribution in Michigan, I expected a lot more from them. This is way too bland. Pass it up.

2.85/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Did not like this at all. Had no aroma and an odd vinegar aftertaste that I couldn't shake. It was so bad that I will force myself to try again...to make sure it wasn't a bad bottle. I will change my review if that is the case.

I poured it down the drain after a half of glass...something I never do.

2.86/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Dark Amber color with mild head and very little carbonation. Strong nutty aroma. Hints of burned wood and toasted malt. Hop flavors that I did not expect. Sweet. Mild flavor. Tart with a spice at the of the sip. Easy to drink. Not the worst but there are better out there.

Arcadia Nut Brown Ale from Arcadia Brewing Company