2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arcadia Shipwreck Porter - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Shipwreck PorterArcadia Shipwreck Porter

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Baltic Porter |  12.00% ABV

The second in a limited edition, 22oz bottled Brew Crew Big Beer Series. This beer was aged in 10-year old whiskey barrels.

(Beer added by: ypsifly on 04-15-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 133 | Reviews: 99 | Show All Ratings:
Blybloke

1.55/5  rDev -59.7%

Wow! What a disappointment. I enjoy porters very much but this was way too overdone.

It pours a nice enough color, deep brown with a two finger tan head. That is where the niceties end however. The nose is complete whiskey. I don't like whiskey. I don't drink whiskey. And that's basically all I can smell. There may have been a little coffee or chocolate in there, but I couldn't tell due to the boozy smell to this sucker.

The taste is complete whiskey. I don't like whiskey. I don't drink whiskey. And that's basically all I can taste. You get the idea.

The mouthfeel was underwhelming, but a little better than the nose and the taste. It was full with a touch of alcohol sting.

I could only handle about 5 smallish sips before I had to dump this one out, which is something that I very rarely do. I'm all for breweries trying to do new things with porters, but Arcadia went too far here in my opinion. Yikes. I need a brillo pad to scrub off my tongue.

Oh well.

11-15-2006 01:59:27 | More by Blybloke
meathookjones

1.58/5  rDev -59%

Almost pitch black with a small tan head that drops pretty quick leaving some light scattered lace. Sweet caramel comes out first only to be drowned out with booze and an out of place fruitiness. Aroma is just a mess with too much alcohol and not much else able to show through. Flavor starts off with a bit of sweetness and some strange ripe fruitiness. Some burnt and woody notes peak through before the bourbon takes over. Really bad alcohol burn fruity finish that is just as much a mess as the aroma. Mouthfeel was decent except the burn. No drinkability here for me it was a drain pour after forcing my way through the first glass. I waited to review till I had my second bottle figuring I had on off bottle but it was identical. A very appropriately named beer.

05-18-2006 19:43:35 | More by meathookjones
Bighuge

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%

Quite the "pop" when I open this bitch up. Then it actually starts foaming out a little right before I pour. My thought is that maybe this is an over-charged "off" edition of this beer. We'll see...

Dark, dark brown appearance. Big and airy brown head. Lace eventually comes in sporadic rings as I drink. Aroma is vanilla, oak, bourbon and roasted malts. While this beer isn't as over-charged as I had originally thought, it doesn't really feel that good. Or taste that good. The body is light and the mouthfeel is just a bit airy and gaseous. Flavor is weak for the style. The main player here is the oak and whiskey. The porter base is pretty weak. Otherwise, the porter characteristics are ghostly. This is a disappointment.

I'm looking at the rest of my beer in the bomber and the bomber is half full of beer and half full of head. Not a good sign. And not a good beer.

12-21-2006 05:16:10 | More by Bighuge
kmpitz2

Tennessee

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

22 oz bomber. Pours a fairly dark brown color with a 3 finger tan head over top that falls to about a finger before settling. The brew is murky, with a moderate cascade of bubbles maintaining the head. Nose brings prominent sour notes, reminding me more of a sour brown than a porter of any type. Behind that I find some deeper roasted and lighter chocolate notes with a light alcohol blanked in the background. As it warms, this become more clear on the aroma. There are definate aggressive alcoholic whiskey notes in this one. Moderate vanilla tones sit over top of coffee and chocolate. Not quite what I was expecting on the nose with this one from the initial pour, but after letting it sit and come to stasis, it is okay. Flavor is interesting. The sourness is there, but more subdued. My initial impression is that the alcohol really stands out in this one. I get an initial hint of it as I first sip the beer, but after swallowing the brew, it really hits almost like a spirit, in my sinuses and then as a moderate burn in my stomach. Outside of this, I find some chocolate and roasted notes, with a very mild fig that rounds things out. The aftertaste is a little solvent-like due to the alcohol as well, making this less than desirable. I would have to say that the alcohol detracts pretty heavy on this one. Mouthfeel is thick, with a light to moderate carbonation that serves to break it up a little. As I said, this one lights up my stomach a bit, even leaving traces of heat in my esophagus. Overall, this one just isn't captivating my senses. At 7.8%, it should not be as aggressive on the alcohol as it is. I am not sure if the sourness is supposed to be there or not. I may grab another bottle now that its on shelves near me and see if this is a product of the bottle I have or if it is chronic.

06-28-2006 00:33:04 | More by kmpitz2
bobhits

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours deep brown, turning black in the glass with a density that’s a touch light for the bourbon barrel beers, but denser than most porters. The age on this one has thinned out the carbonation a touch, but still about a half inch of head, a bit of lacing, and the head lingers well.

Strong sweet nose of vanila bourbon, nearly cold bottle of bourbon in nature. The finish is a powdery cocoa malt. Hopefully it opens up more as it warms.

Wow sickeningly sweet combination of sugar and bourbon with chocolate malts mixed in. Bourbon has just dominated this one and age has mellowed (I assume) any of porter nature. I feel this porter just wasn’t bold enough to handle this much bourbon aging. I should point out I’ve had issues with infections (or maybe Arcadia just makes awful explosive messes of beers) so perhaps part of the sweetness in here is something similar to what I notice with Cocoa Loco and Big Dick.

Smooth and creamy. This one drinks well. Medium thin for a bourbon barrel much like the appearance, but does the job.

I really like this one. This is an awful awful example but this bourbon dominance here reminds me a bit of Goose Island Rare, you know without this being a pappy barrel and the beer base being most likely just an ok porter vs a world glass masterpiece of a stout. It also doesn’t have the world class finish, in fact the finish is a touch lacking.

10-27-2011 02:11:03 | More by bobhits
mrasskicktastic

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

A - Dark, almost black, brown with a large head that lingers for minutes, then leaves clumps of lacing clinging to the sides of the glass.

S - Slight molasses, alcohol, prune and coffee (faint).

T - Sour, too sour, alcohol, molasses, raisins, coffee, oak, faint bourbon - a sharp ascerbic sour is present before the shift to the citric acid sour and coffee bitterness in the aftertaste.

M - Smooth, thin, a bit acidic, harsh after the swallow, a bit astringent, thirst quenching at least.

D - Somehow not too bad. I don't think I will have this again, but the entire bomber went down easily. Many better beers of this style are out there, but, in spite of the sourness, this pulled off enjoyable.

09-21-2007 06:03:41 | More by mrasskicktastic
RoyalT

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance – This one is dark brown in color with orange highlights and a modest, brown head.

Smell – The rich malts were covered with a harsh alcohol aroma that diluted the pleasure of this nose. There was a whiff of coffee at the end that helped things out, though.

Taste – This fella shows off a big coconut flavor at the taste along with some vanilla notes. There’s a light, rather flimsy malt base that’s too small to respect.

Mouthfeel – This is shy of medium-bodied and too thin for a BP. The alcohol is much too stingy for a beer that’s less than five percent.

Drinkability – This is a barely drinkable BP that had an unusual vanilla character.

06-08-2006 02:09:10 | More by RoyalT
morimech

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a dark creamy brown with a solid two-fingered head. Retention is very good eventually receding to a thick cap with solid lacing left in its wake that quickly rejoins the cap.

The smell is very boozy. Bourbon and alcohol are right out front assaulting the nose. If I didn't know better I would say this is some sort of liqueur. Just a touch of dark malt and cherries can be detected hiding behind the booze.

This beer took on too much of the flavor of the bourbon barrel. Hardly tastes like a beer at all. If you don't like whiskey, stay far away from this beer. It is strongly flavored of whiskey. Some of the more background flavors are chocolate malt and a roasted, smokey flavor. It finishes sweet until the alcohol warming takes affect. Feels medium body and has a creamy, coating quality.

I would consider this a beer based liqueur by the intense whiskey aroma and taste. Just too much for me to consider drinking this again. The ABV is lower than the taste would lead you to believe. Knock the whiskey qualities in half and this would be more my thing.

01-21-2008 23:29:10 | More by morimech
lou91

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

I thought the pour the beer looked a bit thin as I’m used to Russian Imperial Stouts barrel aged. It looked good – dark with a light brown head. The nose was slightly sour with definite whiskey on the nose. To like this beer you must like whiskey and weak porters. The beer is not bad only that it can not hold up to the whiskey aging. Worth a try but not a repeat for me.

07-07-2006 05:09:41 | More by lou91
brewdlyhooked13

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

4/7/08
Appearance - pours black, two+ fingers of light mocha foam sitting on top. Nice hold at a half-finger and some good wavy lacing to boot.

Aroma - intensely oaky to the point of drowning out all other smells. A heady alcohol vapor mixed in also. An occasional whiff of chocolate but the wood here is very strong, too strong.

Taste - some decent chocolate malts to start. Slightly sweet, they are quickly replaced by an intensely woody flavor. Did they add 'Liquid Oak'? It's a big block of wood in handy liquid form. Some chocolate following and a good measure of abv warmth. The swallow has some balancing bitterness but the oak never lets up and allows anything else to blend in. I guess after a number of bourbon barrel beers, it's different to taste just the oak without the whiskey, but I don't care a whole lot for it. While waiting a bit before sips, I do notice at long last a slow emergence of bourbon as an aftertaste. Quite good but it takes a while to develop, so there's a bit of redemption for this one. And as with many higher abv brews, after a bit of palate adjustment, the flavors are more amenable.

Mouthfeel - good mouthfeel; smooth, slightly heavy.

Drinkability - I can appreciate the effort in making it, but it's not up my alley.

9/26/06
Appearance - all black pour, a dense mocha head of about a finger or so, insulating quite well. Thick rings of lace on this one. 5.0

Aroma - chocolate covered bourbon balls. The chocolate fades to something a bit smoky, the bourbon stays right where its at. Hmmm, beer or bourbon? 3.5

Taste - sweet and chocolatey at first, like Kahlua. Alcohol warming on the swallow, roasted malts and sweetened bourbon take over. Finishes with a dry sweetness, bittersweet chocolate, and one of the most pleasant alcohol infusions running through it all. 5.0

Mouthfeel - insanely smooth from the first sip. The heaviness goes well with the sweetness and "bigness" of the flavor. 5.0

Drinkability - for the bourbon-loving sweet tooths out there, this is a treat. Quite approachable for a beer of this style and crafting. 5.0

09-26-2006 18:27:13 | More by brewdlyhooked13
KarlHungus

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

Once I popped the cap of this beer a torrent of foam gushed out. This wasn't too surpising, because it seems to be the case with most of Arcadia's beers. It was still annoying, none the less. The beer poured an opaque black color with a large, creamy, light tan head. The aroma is very boozy, chocolate, coffee, and malt are also present, but overpowered by the whiskey. The taste is slightly more balanced than the aroma, but still too boozy for my liking. This beer certainly tastes hotter than 7.8% ABV. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, but seems a little lighter due to excessive carbonation. Overall, this beer is a close miss. The whiskey aspect of it reminds me a lot of Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout, but Shipwreck seems to lack the massive amounts of malt to balance out all that whiskey.

12-23-2006 07:56:33 | More by KarlHungus
bkilpatr

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. 03/24/08. 2007 version.

Pours a deep brownish black, with around three fingers of tan head which dropped quickly. Not much lacing. Aromas of chocolate, raisin / plum, and whiskey. Also has kind of a sour smell to it.

Taste is surprisingly sour. There was a hint of it in the aroma, but I wasn't expecting this much. Lots of dark fruits, raisin, plum, date, fig. Some molasses. Tons of whiskey flavor. It isn't too overwhelming, but rather nice. If only it weren't sour.

Mouthfeel is decent, a bit thin though. Tastes like it should be a lot thicker. Leaves the back of my tongue sticky. Drinkability is decent also. Pretty easy to drink, despite the sourness and the tongue-stickiness.

Decent and worth a try if you like whiskey, but won't get this again.

03-25-2008 02:53:56 | More by bkilpatr
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

GLASS: Sam Adams Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
VINTAGE: 2007

Pours up a nice, deep, dark brown...almost black. Two-fingers of thick, creamy, light brown foam sit on top, where it just stays and stays. Lacing is pretty good.

Mild notes of coffees and chocolates. Nice hint of whiskey and oak. Mild touch of oxidation. Hints of brown sugar.

Instant coffee and cocoa powder, along with a mild roasty maltiness. Definite hints of whiskey, which is nice. Mild oakiness. I believe that the oxidation is bringing about a slight 'twang' that shouldn't be here. Not overpowering, but makes for an odd finish.

On the lighter side of full-bodied. Very smooth and nicely creamy.

This is very tasty, but I'd love to be able to try a fresh bottle, for comparison factors.

07-28-2009 04:06:34 | More by coldmeat23
mcallister

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

This porter is nearly black if not black. With a generous tan head that leaves behind trace amounts of spotty lacing.

Aromas are big in bourbon almost overly so. Hints of vanilla, bitter choclate, roasted malt, and some dark fruits.

Malty malty porter. Much of the flavor and complexities of this beer seem to be hidden behind a vail of bourbon and oak. Still good flavors of bitter choclate, vanilla extract, black currant, smoke, tobacco, and some meaty earthy flavors.

Mouthfeel is good but not great. Again the bourbon leaves this once out of whack making a somewhat undesirable mouthfeel but not making it bad. This isn't one I'm going to drink an abundace of but worth a try.

05-21-2006 20:18:28 | More by mcallister
ThatWineGuy

Ontario (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Picked up at Merchant's in Dearborn ten days ago. Poured black, opaque with red-brown edges when held under a bright light. The head was modest and tan in colour, small bubble carbonation that was slow and steady. Some lacing. Smells of roast coffee, bitter dark chocolate, licorice. There is a sharp, bitter dark chocolate taste as well, with an aggressive mouthfeel and a snappy, whiskey-sour taste that lingers. Unfortunately, I found an alcohol presence detracted from the drinkability factor and inspired a more sour finish than was desirable. This is worth a try and could be much better if the recipe was tinkered with just a bit. As it stands, I'll manage to finish this large bottle but wouldn't think of haviing another.

10-21-2007 02:24:13 | More by ThatWineGuy
peabody

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours out with plenty of brown suds leaving little lacing.
the aroma is sweet and bitter at the same time. There is a fruit smell in there as well. The Whiskey aroma really shines through when the drink warms up a bit. Best tasted above 50 degrees.
It has a clean taste with slight caramel and hopps mixing in with the bourbon flavor.
Mouthfeel is really clean for such a Porter which makes me think it might be a little watered down.
Drinkability is the better quality here. Arcadia has better beers, but this one is worth another goaround.

08-08-2006 02:19:34 | More by peabody
jale

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours dark brown with a finger of brown head. Lacing last just briefly.

S: Slight chocolate followed by some roasted malt and just a hint of bourbon.

T: Taste is close to the smell. Slight sweet chocolate, roasted malt and a just a hint of bourbon. Just a tad alcohol burn. Finish is slightly acidic like a baltic.

M: Good carbonation. A little thin.

D: Decent, but I would like a little thicker body.

02-01-2011 22:35:52 | More by jale
Thorpe429

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Done side-by-side with the barrel-aged version thanks to rmalinowski4. Served in a snifter.

Pours black. Completely opaque. Thin, quarter-finger light tan head with some spotty lacing. Fairly-good retention with a bit of a cap throughout. The nose carries a bit of roasted malt and some milk chocolate. Light espresso. The flavor is fairly sweet with a bit of an espresso an accompanying crema kick. There's a mild cherry presence as well. Strong roast. Bit of chocolate. Medium body with moderate carbonation. A bit creamy, though too much carbonation to really be so. Not bad, but not quite up to par with the barrel-aged version.

06-18-2011 01:59:44 | More by Thorpe429
Neffbeer

22oz bottle marked 2008 vintage
Poured into an Oerbier tulip

A: Jet black with a good looking off white two finger head. It shows pretty good retention and leaves bits of lacing behind.

S: The oak barrels stand out with a twinge of vinous like sourness. After the wave of oak there is chocolate, vanilla, ash, and a hint of berries.

T: Barrel forward with a nice dose of chocolate and black malt. The vinous notes from the notes show in the flavor with a slightly sour twinge. The finish is a bit dry with some lingering chalkiness.

M: A bit thin overall for my liking, but the interesting flavor keeps this level. Absolutely no detection of the 12% abv, really smooth in that sense.

O: I enjoyed this beer very much, but overall I felt it lacked that certain something to make it really good. I like the sour notes, but I could see how that would be off-putting for some.

09-28-2011 23:55:11 | More by Neffbeer
B33R501

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this was just ok for me. not alot of barrel aged experience, the only porter i can compare this to is williamsburg bourbon barrel, and that was alot better, as in one of my favorite beers last year.

black, good head, pretty beer. smells and tastes chocolate, vanilla, some bourbon. smooth and easy drinking considering 12% abv, certainly hides the alcohol well.

reasonable price but will not be a repeat purchase. maybe this one is too refined, i really enjoy the killer booziness of williamsburg's version, which i did not get here.

01-24-2012 13:29:07 | More by B33R501
marcobrau

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a very dark brown with a a nice bit of tan foam and an aroma of bourbon and cocoa. The head settles slowly leaving some lace. This is a good looking beer. The first sip yields raisin, fig and cocoa flavors, plus something mysteriious I can't quite pin down...ah, that would be bourbon! A lactic note accents these flavors, which adds compexity, but accentuates the sweetness a bit too much for me. The finish is warming and rather boozy, with the malt and hops pretty much in balance. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth, but the body is quite thin. In some respects, this is how I imagine porter might have tasted 150 years ago back in England; strong with lots "dark" fruity flavors. Overall, this is pretty enjoyable, but it needs more body and a little less alcohol.

01-17-2007 01:59:43 | More by marcobrau
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Nice black colour,good aroma of the bourbon. I think this was aged in a bourbon barrel and would have liked it not to be. It was woody and I tasted the corn sweetner. We Canadians are not so oy-yoy-yoy on bourbon. I also found the mouthfeel to be a tad on the thin side.

11-19-2006 02:23:14 | More by Sammy
jrallen34

3.58/5  rDev -7%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a tasting glass at NoTB.

The beer pours a dark brown with a light tan head, rising only a about a finger, but not much retention or lacing.

The aroma is light and sweet with a little vanilla.

The taste is shockinly differntly than the aroma as it i s mostly all bitter coffee. Its really offputting because its so unexpected, but its also pretty boring.

The feel is ok full bodied, but rough and bitter with a warm finish.

Overall, this an ok porter, nothing special

02-20-2010 02:45:38 | More by jrallen34
yonitan05

Vintage 2007.
Pours a very dark brown with a very slight hint of copper-red color under light. A very thin head disipates almost instantly. At first smell, bourbon. Next smell picks up a little roasted malt and maybe chocolate. I taste roasted malt first then a very subtle hop character. Let it linger and the bourbon comes out in full force but not exceedingly sharp. Mouthfeel is a bit dry but well balanced and offering an excellent finish.

03-09-2011 00:25:58 | More by yonitan05
BEERchitect

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Took me about 2 hours to choke this beer down last night. Not that it was bad, it was just chalked full of flavors, textures, and alcohols. Smells very rich withe typical nutty-coffee and semi-sweet chocolate, barley malt; and atypical sour-mash, whisky notes. All this flows overy a dense appearance of dark brown brew and moderately creamy head retention that laced well, for a while. Late, the proteins fell apart along with any head retention at all. The flavors are very sweet and bold with the same coffee, cocoa characteristics found in the nose, but quickly overcome with a sweet, alcoholic whisky flavor that dominated the beers flavor, body, boldness, textures, and impression thereafter. The booze-ey flavors do remain sweet, but also take on a fusal, harshness that sacrifices the drinkability. The body although medium cannot give the weight that is needed for the other flavors and textures, so the beer falls a bit flat. Remains malty, chocolatey, and coffee into the aftertaste, but only behind the whisky. No carbonation late. Interesting brew, just aggressive for agressive's sake.

07-30-2007 17:35:21 | More by BEERchitect