2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arcadia Shipwreck Porter - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Shipwreck PorterArcadia Shipwreck Porter

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Baltic Porter |  12.00% ABV

The second in a limited edition, 22oz bottled Brew Crew Big Beer Series. This beer was aged in 10-year old whiskey barrels.

(Beer added by: ypsifly on 04-15-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 133 | Reviews: 99 | Show All Ratings:
xav33

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Arcadia Shipwreck Porter
22 oz bomber
Moderate pour in an English pint
Recent bottling, wrecked 11/06

Poured black, with clear ruddy brown highlights, with a light brown frothy mostly lasting head.

Smelt of strong bourbon, charred wood, burnt sugar, dark coffee roast, light vanilla.

Taste was upfront strong bitter sweet burnt wood and light sweet dark chocolate and vanilla followed by harsh burnt wood and moderate sweet molasses on a moderate ashy finish. Palate was medium to full bodied, lively carbonated, oily, and moderately astringent.

Overall, this porter carries the taste of bourbon wood exquisitely. The strong taste does hide other subtle notes, though.

11-24-2006 04:53:29 | More by xav33
Gaisgeil

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

If you don't like bourbon, I highly recommend you stay clear of this one. Pours a deep, almost black brown in color with a thin wispy tan head that left a crown all throughout. Nose is distinctly bourbon, alcohol, vanilla, old wood. Taste is very much the same, initially the bourbon hits followed by a dose of vanilla, bittersweet chocolate and roast. The finish has a lot of vanilla. I quite like this, but the bourbon really dominates which I don't really like, I prefer when it takes a backseat in a beer, but alas, it is what it is.

I liked this a lot though overall.

Slàinte!

04-23-2006 05:24:22 | More by Gaisgeil
jale

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours dark brown with a finger of brown head. Lacing last just briefly.

S: Slight chocolate followed by some roasted malt and just a hint of bourbon.

T: Taste is close to the smell. Slight sweet chocolate, roasted malt and a just a hint of bourbon. Just a tad alcohol burn. Finish is slightly acidic like a baltic.

M: Good carbonation. A little thin.

D: Decent, but I would like a little thicker body.

02-01-2011 22:35:52 | More by jale
bkilpatr

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. 03/24/08. 2007 version.

Pours a deep brownish black, with around three fingers of tan head which dropped quickly. Not much lacing. Aromas of chocolate, raisin / plum, and whiskey. Also has kind of a sour smell to it.

Taste is surprisingly sour. There was a hint of it in the aroma, but I wasn't expecting this much. Lots of dark fruits, raisin, plum, date, fig. Some molasses. Tons of whiskey flavor. It isn't too overwhelming, but rather nice. If only it weren't sour.

Mouthfeel is decent, a bit thin though. Tastes like it should be a lot thicker. Leaves the back of my tongue sticky. Drinkability is decent also. Pretty easy to drink, despite the sourness and the tongue-stickiness.

Decent and worth a try if you like whiskey, but won't get this again.

03-25-2008 02:53:56 | More by bkilpatr
doppelmeup

This poured a rich dark chocolate color with a light cocoa colored head. No light shines through at all. The head was not real thick, but lingered on top and left spotty lacing on the sides.

The aroma is really intriguing. I smell more of an oaky, Bourbon smell then a "beer" smell. There is just a slight, sweet maltiness in the background. The Bourbon aroma is not overpowering, but was surprising.

The flavor is really a melding of bourbon and porter, with neither flavor overpowering the other, but rather complementing the other. There is a bit of a chocolate maltiness under the bourbon flavor. The bourbon aspects do give this beer a bit of a sharpness and brightness.

The beer is medium bodied, but does leave a very dry finish, sucking the moisture right out the mouth.

Overall, this is a nice beer, definitely unique. I find that the oaky, bourbony flavors tend to overpower the "beer" flavors, but not necessarily in a bad way, given the intent of the brewers to create an oak-barrel aged beer. As far as oak-aged beers go, this is one of the better ones I have had, but that doesn't mean it is my favorite style. I also found that this beer was quite expensive at about $12 a bomber. I am glad I tried this, but wouldn't purchase another, especially at this price.

03-02-2009 23:04:16 | More by doppelmeup
lou91

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

I thought the pour the beer looked a bit thin as I’m used to Russian Imperial Stouts barrel aged. It looked good – dark with a light brown head. The nose was slightly sour with definite whiskey on the nose. To like this beer you must like whiskey and weak porters. The beer is not bad only that it can not hold up to the whiskey aging. Worth a try but not a repeat for me.

07-07-2006 05:09:41 | More by lou91
techfed87

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured into a standard English pint glass. Pours a dark dark brown, with a cocoa head to it. Has a distinctive bourbon scent to it that comes from it's aging. Very distinct in that sense. Has a slightly licorice scent to it as well.

This is my first barrel aged porter, so I'm not sure exactly what to expect. Taste is very colorful, with bourbony notes mixing and interacting with the rich, chocolate flavors of the porter.

Most of my experience in barrel aged ales have come in the form of very heavy stouts, all of which I've enjoyed immensely. However, aged Imp. Stouts are, to put it lightly, very intimidating to the pallet. This beer takes everything I enjoy from those brews and makes it more drinkable. Definitely worth a try.

12-01-2009 02:49:35 | More by techfed87
Dotcubed

Arkansas

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

I was looking forward to this as it was warming up on my coffee table for like an hour. I walked the dog for half an hour, came in opened it and it gushed over onto the carpet, some bills, and a nice long trail into the kitchen. Not sure why, maybe overly re-fermented in the bottle I think this one's like 2 years old. Maybe older. The label has a little fold over the "b", no idea what that means.

Super big foam. Smells really good. Woody, intense vanilla.

Tastes Sour, burning matches? Brett. Interesting. Some bitter vanilla. Some dry cocoa powder hints and maybe palm sugar.
I'm more annoyed that I lost like a quarter to a third of it. A good temperature, cool not cold. I waited long enough to open it but I think I needed a bigger glass to catch the fountain of deliciousness. Makes for a good drinking bottle but a sticky clean up. Surprising since it's not sweet.

While I'd drink it again, I'm not sure if I'd age another bottle for such a short time. I'd go older of drink much younger.

06-16-2009 03:13:07 | More by Dotcubed
Neffbeer

22oz bottle marked 2008 vintage
Poured into an Oerbier tulip

A: Jet black with a good looking off white two finger head. It shows pretty good retention and leaves bits of lacing behind.

S: The oak barrels stand out with a twinge of vinous like sourness. After the wave of oak there is chocolate, vanilla, ash, and a hint of berries.

T: Barrel forward with a nice dose of chocolate and black malt. The vinous notes from the notes show in the flavor with a slightly sour twinge. The finish is a bit dry with some lingering chalkiness.

M: A bit thin overall for my liking, but the interesting flavor keeps this level. Absolutely no detection of the 12% abv, really smooth in that sense.

O: I enjoyed this beer very much, but overall I felt it lacked that certain something to make it really good. I like the sour notes, but I could see how that would be off-putting for some.

09-28-2011 23:55:11 | More by Neffbeer
busterthecat

4.58/5  rDev +19%

Picked up a 2008 vintage for $6. Bought it blind. Kept at ~55 degrees for a few months then poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottle says "Ale aged in Oak Barrels", so a little confusion on my part on which beer listing this is, but the label looks like this one.

A- Pours a semi-transparent dark brown, sits a very dark brown in the glass. A nice khaki head forms and a good capping lingers for a while. Slight lacing,

S- Wow! the aroma of this beer is unlike any that I have yet encountered. It is a bold sweet chocolate covered cherry surprise. It has a tanginess that melds with the sweetness of cocoa. Bourbon and vanilla also present. It has some booze to it, but definitely expected at its ABV. Very nice, original & complex. I probably have smelled this beer for 5 min before taking a sip.

T- Again, Chocolate and tangy cherries take center stage. Softly roasted malts, vanilla, bourbon and strawberries are also in the mix. Very interesting and different. Quite refreshing.

M- Full bodied yet not heavy on the palate. Starts wet and calmly dries. The cherries really linger on the tongue and the memory of sweetness is retained. Not overpowering at all. Slight booze warmness felt on back of throat, but rather enjoyable on this cold rainy night.

O- A very different and well done baltic porter. I can't remember tasting anything like this before. A steal at $6. I just hope I can find more bottles of this. Reminds me of the holiday season.

10-28-2011 00:35:11 | More by busterthecat
B33R501

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this was just ok for me. not alot of barrel aged experience, the only porter i can compare this to is williamsburg bourbon barrel, and that was alot better, as in one of my favorite beers last year.

black, good head, pretty beer. smells and tastes chocolate, vanilla, some bourbon. smooth and easy drinking considering 12% abv, certainly hides the alcohol well.

reasonable price but will not be a repeat purchase. maybe this one is too refined, i really enjoy the killer booziness of williamsburg's version, which i did not get here.

01-24-2012 13:29:07 | More by B33R501
BigDaddyWil

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Undated bomber, purchased at Cloverleaf.
Poured into a pint glass.

First off, this beer is all about the bourbon!!!!
Average appearance, half inch head that fades quickly. Leaves a thin cream colored line around the edges. Black in color with some brown highlights. Fantastic smell, a great combination of bourbon and chocolate, some roasted malts. Taste is mostly bourbon, like almost doing a shot. After the bourbon fades, you can pick out some dark chocolate, wood and roasted malt. This has a much greater bourbon taste than Founder's Kentucky Breakfast. On the verge of maybe too much, but personally, I love it!!! Velvety smooth as easy too drink. I have no clue what the abv is. A nice sipping brew to have after dinner. Very enjoyable and a definite winner from Arcadia. Limited release!!!

04-23-2006 23:55:26 | More by BigDaddyWil
Reneejane

For starters, I don't have a lot of experience with Baltic porters, I don't think I've had more than one before this. The beer was black with a white head. Definite roasty aroma but with a hint of hoppiness. Taste was roasty but with more hop taste! Some chocolate and coffe hints through the roast. I have to say I'm surprised with the hoppiness that come through the robust malt flavors. What an enjoyable experience! The mouthfeel was nice and thicker than many other porters *yay* I get a little sick of watery porters.

09-22-2009 18:06:38 | More by Reneejane
DavidEddie

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

2007 vintage.
Black in appearance with a dense tan head. Lots of lacing. Aromas of oak, vanilla, cherries, maple syrup, and a hint of coffee. You can notice the bourbon, but it’s not overpowering in anyway. Tastes as it smells, but with some soft bitter citrus hops mixed in there as well. Nice alcohol warming as it goes down. Mouth feel is slightly creamy and medium bodied. Overall drinkability was good for being slightly boozy. Definitely a slow sipper. Recommended!

12-30-2007 06:12:16 | More by DavidEddie
lamarr04

2007 vintage poured into a pint glass

A: Very dark brown/almost black with creamy tan head

S: wo, it smells as if i walked into a bourbon barrel, very bourbony and oaky. next thing i smell is vanilla, sweetness, and smokiness

T: bitterness attacks the pallet followed by a malty sweetness with vanilla and carmel overtones. some heat from the alcohol as the beer warms on the tongue. again the oak barrel aging comes through strongly on the taste...i like that.

M: medium to heavy body, creamy mouthfeel with mild carbonation, finish is on the slicker side.

D: this beer is a wonderfully complex brew but one or two glasses is going to be more than enough for me

Notes: working my way through their big beer series and now having tried this and their hopmouth I am excited to get to the rest of their big beer line-up

01-22-2009 02:09:11 | More by lamarr04
buffettfan

Arizona

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

Pouring into pint glass.
Appeared very dark brown. A lite tan, thin ring of head wrapped the glass.
Aroma was a little bitter, a little hop charecter, with a rich malty almost chocolaty charecter. A pretty strong alcohol presence as well.
Taste was spectaculer! A smooth, rich malty chocolate flavor. A warming alcohol presence makes this a very comfortable beer to drink!
Mouthfeel was heavy, but smooth. Overall drinkablity is good, its a somewhat heavey beer, not for everyday, but a great evening, after dinner beer! I loved it!

10-30-2009 17:05:30 | More by buffettfan
MaineBirdMan

Maine

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

The look of this beer was pretty good. I must say I was a little thrown by the label(the label didn't mention whiskey barrels). I'm not a big whiskey fan, so I was surprised when I tasted the hint of whiskey after my first sip. After my taste buds settled down I did enjoy it. Only one for this old boy. I really liked all the qualities it possessed, the dark color, the malty/whiskey taste. It left a nice warm feeling in my mouth. But only one.

02-10-2009 23:22:26 | More by MaineBirdMan
mroberts1204

4.08/5  rDev +6%

2008 Vintage

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights at the edges and a tan head that never completely dissipates. Glorious! Decent lacing.

Smell: Oak, whiskey and sweet chocolate (in that order). Restrained roastiness and unripe plums.

Taste: Follows the nose but falls a bit short. The depth and complexity of this beer isn't there. Nice whiskey flavors without the alcohol. Sweet chocolate and very mild roastiness follows the immediate oak and whiskey. Sweet, bitter plum flavors linger throughout but never come into the forefront.

Mouthfeel: A little thin. The carbonation is good. Warming alcohol but nothing out of the ordinary.

Drinkability: This thing finishes a little dry allowing you to drink up. Getting through an entire bomber solo may be the only difficulty.

This is a well crafted beer. And a big porter without coffee!! Is that possible?? Yes, yes it is. Tasty stuff.

06-28-2010 03:41:08 | More by mroberts1204
Blybloke

1.55/5  rDev -59.7%

Wow! What a disappointment. I enjoy porters very much but this was way too overdone.

It pours a nice enough color, deep brown with a two finger tan head. That is where the niceties end however. The nose is complete whiskey. I don't like whiskey. I don't drink whiskey. And that's basically all I can smell. There may have been a little coffee or chocolate in there, but I couldn't tell due to the boozy smell to this sucker.

The taste is complete whiskey. I don't like whiskey. I don't drink whiskey. And that's basically all I can taste. You get the idea.

The mouthfeel was underwhelming, but a little better than the nose and the taste. It was full with a touch of alcohol sting.

I could only handle about 5 smallish sips before I had to dump this one out, which is something that I very rarely do. I'm all for breweries trying to do new things with porters, but Arcadia went too far here in my opinion. Yikes. I need a brillo pad to scrub off my tongue.

Oh well.

11-15-2006 01:59:27 | More by Blybloke
TwoHeartedMale

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Very dark black, no light gets through. Thick white head
that was reduced to a thin layer.

S- Sweetness of the coco followed by richness of roasted malt, followed by the lush spice of bourbon.

T- Smooth creamy chocolate followed by smoky spice of bourbon. a hint of oak.

M- A lot lighter than I expected. Very creamy and smooth with the sweetness of coco. I got the aftertaste of vanilla and oak.

D- This beer is much more smooth than expected. They did a great job of balancing the coco and the bourbon. This if one of the smoothest and easy drinking 12% beers.

03-24-2011 03:39:04 | More by TwoHeartedMale
CLEmark

3.66/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a dark brown, almost black.
S- Nice smell with some chocolate, maybe some oak too, a little toasty

T- Chocolate, a touch of roasted malts. A little light cherry flavor .Doesn't overpower with any flavor. I did not get to much out of the barrel aging.

M- Full bodied but well balanced. Nice thick feel.

O- It $6 I thought it was bit to expensive. I probably would not get this again at that price. However, it is a very solid porter.

02-12-2014 13:51:55 | More by CLEmark
PorterJan

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%

This is a 2007 Vintage, it pours with a nice strong tan head. The color is black with no noticeable highlights. Aroma is a sweet maltyness with hints of blackstrap molasse and a touch of roastyness. The flavor is clean with a well balanced bitterness and thin to medium sweet maltyness with hints of blackstrap molasses and a touch of smokeyness at the finish. The alcohol is very subdued in the aroma and flavor. This beer is a very good example of a porter and is easy to drink. They say it is aged in oak barrels which mellows the beer. The mouth feel is a medium body that finishes quick with some creamyness. The carbonation is perfect the head leave a beautiful lace on the glass. As it warms the smokeyness comes out more in the flavor also a touch of fruity sweetness in the aroma. If Porter is your favorite style this is the beer for you. I think this is a great beer very well made the brewer should be proud of this beer.

07-09-2009 04:58:28 | More by PorterJan
yonitan05

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Vintage 2007.
Pours a very dark brown with a very slight hint of copper-red color under light. A very thin head disipates almost instantly. At first smell, bourbon. Next smell picks up a little roasted malt and maybe chocolate. I taste roasted malt first then a very subtle hop character. Let it linger and the bourbon comes out in full force but not exceedingly sharp. Mouthfeel is a bit dry but well balanced and offering an excellent finish.

03-09-2011 00:25:58 | More by yonitan05
Fishman007

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

I poured the beer from a 12 oz bottle with red wax on the cap quite quickly into a pint glass and the head still remained considerably small. I would say this beer does a great job of hiding the 12% alcohol content. The beer is very drinkable and I drank it relatively fast while typing this review. The bourbon taste is present, but not overwhelming. There are notes of chocolate that make the after taste feel comfortable and ready for the next sip.

05-17-2012 01:22:04 | More by Fishman007