Arcadia Shipwreck Porter - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Shipwreck PorterArcadia Shipwreck Porter

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Baltic Porter |  12.00% ABV

The second in a limited edition, 22oz bottled Brew Crew Big Beer Series. This beer was aged in 10-year old whiskey barrels.

(Beer added by: ypsifly on 04-15-2006)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance – This one is dark brown in color with orange highlights and a modest, brown head.

Smell – The rich malts were covered with a harsh alcohol aroma that diluted the pleasure of this nose. There was a whiff of coffee at the end that helped things out, though.

Taste – This fella shows off a big coconut flavor at the taste along with some vanilla notes. There’s a light, rather flimsy malt base that’s too small to respect.

Mouthfeel – This is shy of medium-bodied and too thin for a BP. The alcohol is much too stingy for a beer that’s less than five percent.

Drinkability – This is a barely drinkable BP that had an unusual vanilla character.

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a dark creamy brown with a solid two-fingered head. Retention is very good eventually receding to a thick cap with solid lacing left in its wake that quickly rejoins the cap.

The smell is very boozy. Bourbon and alcohol are right out front assaulting the nose. If I didn't know better I would say this is some sort of liqueur. Just a touch of dark malt and cherries can be detected hiding behind the booze.

This beer took on too much of the flavor of the bourbon barrel. Hardly tastes like a beer at all. If you don't like whiskey, stay far away from this beer. It is strongly flavored of whiskey. Some of the more background flavors are chocolate malt and a roasted, smokey flavor. It finishes sweet until the alcohol warming takes affect. Feels medium body and has a creamy, coating quality.

I would consider this a beer based liqueur by the intense whiskey aroma and taste. Just too much for me to consider drinking this again. The ABV is lower than the taste would lead you to believe. Knock the whiskey qualities in half and this would be more my thing.

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

A - Dark, almost black, brown with a large head that lingers for minutes, then leaves clumps of lacing clinging to the sides of the glass.

S - Slight molasses, alcohol, prune and coffee (faint).

T - Sour, too sour, alcohol, molasses, raisins, coffee, oak, faint bourbon - a sharp ascerbic sour is present before the shift to the citric acid sour and coffee bitterness in the aftertaste.

M - Smooth, thin, a bit acidic, harsh after the swallow, a bit astringent, thirst quenching at least.

D - Somehow not too bad. I don't think I will have this again, but the entire bomber went down easily. Many better beers of this style are out there, but, in spite of the sourness, this pulled off enjoyable.

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

22 oz bomber. Pours a fairly dark brown color with a 3 finger tan head over top that falls to about a finger before settling. The brew is murky, with a moderate cascade of bubbles maintaining the head. Nose brings prominent sour notes, reminding me more of a sour brown than a porter of any type. Behind that I find some deeper roasted and lighter chocolate notes with a light alcohol blanked in the background. As it warms, this become more clear on the aroma. There are definate aggressive alcoholic whiskey notes in this one. Moderate vanilla tones sit over top of coffee and chocolate. Not quite what I was expecting on the nose with this one from the initial pour, but after letting it sit and come to stasis, it is okay. Flavor is interesting. The sourness is there, but more subdued. My initial impression is that the alcohol really stands out in this one. I get an initial hint of it as I first sip the beer, but after swallowing the brew, it really hits almost like a spirit, in my sinuses and then as a moderate burn in my stomach. Outside of this, I find some chocolate and roasted notes, with a very mild fig that rounds things out. The aftertaste is a little solvent-like due to the alcohol as well, making this less than desirable. I would have to say that the alcohol detracts pretty heavy on this one. Mouthfeel is thick, with a light to moderate carbonation that serves to break it up a little. As I said, this one lights up my stomach a bit, even leaving traces of heat in my esophagus. Overall, this one just isn't captivating my senses. At 7.8%, it should not be as aggressive on the alcohol as it is. I am not sure if the sourness is supposed to be there or not. I may grab another bottle now that its on shelves near me and see if this is a product of the bottle I have or if it is chronic.

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours deep brown, turning black in the glass with a density that’s a touch light for the bourbon barrel beers, but denser than most porters. The age on this one has thinned out the carbonation a touch, but still about a half inch of head, a bit of lacing, and the head lingers well.

Strong sweet nose of vanila bourbon, nearly cold bottle of bourbon in nature. The finish is a powdery cocoa malt. Hopefully it opens up more as it warms.

Wow sickeningly sweet combination of sugar and bourbon with chocolate malts mixed in. Bourbon has just dominated this one and age has mellowed (I assume) any of porter nature. I feel this porter just wasn’t bold enough to handle this much bourbon aging. I should point out I’ve had issues with infections (or maybe Arcadia just makes awful explosive messes of beers) so perhaps part of the sweetness in here is something similar to what I notice with Cocoa Loco and Big Dick.

Smooth and creamy. This one drinks well. Medium thin for a bourbon barrel much like the appearance, but does the job.

I really like this one. This is an awful awful example but this bourbon dominance here reminds me a bit of Goose Island Rare, you know without this being a pappy barrel and the beer base being most likely just an ok porter vs a world glass masterpiece of a stout. It also doesn’t have the world class finish, in fact the finish is a touch lacking.

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%

Quite the "pop" when I open this bitch up. Then it actually starts foaming out a little right before I pour. My thought is that maybe this is an over-charged "off" edition of this beer. We'll see...

Dark, dark brown appearance. Big and airy brown head. Lace eventually comes in sporadic rings as I drink. Aroma is vanilla, oak, bourbon and roasted malts. While this beer isn't as over-charged as I had originally thought, it doesn't really feel that good. Or taste that good. The body is light and the mouthfeel is just a bit airy and gaseous. Flavor is weak for the style. The main player here is the oak and whiskey. The porter base is pretty weak. Otherwise, the porter characteristics are ghostly. This is a disappointment.

I'm looking at the rest of my beer in the bomber and the bomber is half full of beer and half full of head. Not a good sign. And not a good beer.

1.58/5  rDev -59%

Almost pitch black with a small tan head that drops pretty quick leaving some light scattered lace. Sweet caramel comes out first only to be drowned out with booze and an out of place fruitiness. Aroma is just a mess with too much alcohol and not much else able to show through. Flavor starts off with a bit of sweetness and some strange ripe fruitiness. Some burnt and woody notes peak through before the bourbon takes over. Really bad alcohol burn fruity finish that is just as much a mess as the aroma. Mouthfeel was decent except the burn. No drinkability here for me it was a drain pour after forcing my way through the first glass. I waited to review till I had my second bottle figuring I had on off bottle but it was identical. A very appropriately named beer.

1.55/5  rDev -59.7%

Wow! What a disappointment. I enjoy porters very much but this was way too overdone.

It pours a nice enough color, deep brown with a two finger tan head. That is where the niceties end however. The nose is complete whiskey. I don't like whiskey. I don't drink whiskey. And that's basically all I can smell. There may have been a little coffee or chocolate in there, but I couldn't tell due to the boozy smell to this sucker.

The taste is complete whiskey. I don't like whiskey. I don't drink whiskey. And that's basically all I can taste. You get the idea.

The mouthfeel was underwhelming, but a little better than the nose and the taste. It was full with a touch of alcohol sting.

I could only handle about 5 smallish sips before I had to dump this one out, which is something that I very rarely do. I'm all for breweries trying to do new things with porters, but Arcadia went too far here in my opinion. Yikes. I need a brillo pad to scrub off my tongue.

Oh well.