1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arcadia Big Dick's Olde Ale - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Big Dick's Olde AleArcadia Big Dick's Olde Ale

good

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: mcallister on 10-26-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 231 | Reviews: 146 | Show All Ratings:
MickeyD

Kansas

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I poured this from a 12oz bottle into a clean pint glass.

Appearance: Dark golden brown with a lot of yeast floating about and a good amount of bubbles, head was slightly more than two finger widths, but dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell: Slight caramel with a strong alcohol overtone.

Taste: a little malty taste and very sweet. Not much hops to speak of.

Mouth feel: robust and smooth with a good bite, leaves a good aftertaste of fruity caramel.

Overall: This beer reminds me a lot of Boulevards sixth glass quad ale So I would probably call it a quad ale. A good brew although I am a little biased because that is one of my favorite styles. Would definitely buy again.

03-28-2013 23:46:08 | More by MickeyD
SportsandJorts

3.99/5  rDev +10.5%

Type: 12 oz bottle 2010
Glass: Snifter

Appearance: dull copper. nice clarity, a finger or so of a tannish head that fades slowly to a lacing.

Smell: Oak, vanilla, a touch of alcohol. pretty strong on the malts

Taste: Kind of a blended version of the smell. maybe a touch of fruit. Too blended for me, I'd like it with a bit more character

Mouthfeel: Nice and heavier but not quite chewy

Overall: a pretty good beer. Try it if you love old ales. Snatch some up for the cellar if they are a good price, but nothing to go out of the way for.

02-21-2013 21:33:13 | More by SportsandJorts
--Dom--

Missouri

3.79/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours a murky reddish-brown with almost no head. Smells strongly of sweet caramel and fig maybe. Almost sickly sweet smelling.

Taste is sweet caramel malts and toffee up front. The sweetness fades to slight alcohol heat and an almost brandy like backbone, finishes quickly thereafter. Tastes like it almost wants to be more complex but doesn't quite make it there. Carbonation is low on this one making the mouthfeel quite syrupy.

All that said, this is the 2009 vintage so this beer is almost 4 years old. I imagine the carbonation being low has something to do with that. I'd like to get my hands on one a little younger because I feel certain this beer is past it's prime and would be better in a later vintage. If you're a fan of old ales give it a shot, but it's something I'd probably only grab again if I saw it in single bottle.

01-18-2013 05:35:22 | More by --Dom--
jsisko01

4.13/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle says handcrafted in 2010 but these beers are known for aging so I'm assuming the quality has improved..? Hopefully?

Appearance - Pours a very dark reddish-brown color with a thick, creamy head that lingers for a minute. Leaves a thick, creamy and bubbly lacing.

Smell - Caramel, toffee, and dark fruits.

Taste - Very strong alcohol flavor that is so distracting it's hard to appreciate the other flavors. Caramel seems to be dominant, with a strong sweetness of dark fruits and maybe some vanilla. Can't forget to mention that it's VERY malty, also.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - It was interesting to try such an old style of ale. It's definitely not something I would ever drink on for pleasure, only because of the strong alcohol flavor, but I can tell this beer was made right. The other flavors go together nicely.

01-12-2013 04:06:17 | More by jsisko01
SerialHiker

2.48/5  rDev -31.3%

Appearance: Reddish brown, almost purple in color…there’s clearly some sediment that needs to settle to the bottom…head formed, but didn’t last long…(3/5)

Smell: Barrel aged, dare I say oak… sweet and fruity, there’s definitely some cherry essences…tons of alcohol smell…(2.75/5)

Taste: Very alcoholly…sorta like sippin’ on a fine brandy…not for the chuggers of the world…it’s complex and simple at the same time…the alcohol is the most consistent flavor, but there is a maltiness to it that is quite pleasant…caramel, oak, sweet fruit and vanilla round out the flavors for me…(2.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Alcoholly…there is a bit of carbonation, providing the sweet fruit essence to bubble on my tongue…malt base keeps the bitterness under control...(2.5/5)

Overall: This is a strong ale…the 9.0% ABV seems a bit low for how strong a taste the alcohol leaves…I’ve had other brews with similar or higher ABV, but with way more resonating flavor…this beer seems a bit one sided, with little to no balance…it’s good, but I don’t think I’d search this one out again...(2/5)

01-10-2013 04:07:10 | More by SerialHiker
Dope

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

A: A murky rusty brown/red pour. Good sized fluffy tan head. Nice island of foam remains.

S: Very fruity - mainly dark fruits like raisin, fig and a little cherry. Lots of caramel and some toffee. A touch of brown sugar.

T: Dark fruit, cocoa and caramel up front. Toffee and caramel in the middle. Finishes with a bit of bitter cocoa and some toffee. Brief bitterness in the finish as well, some grassy hops maybe?

M: Fairly full bodied.

O: A pretty standard old ale. Nothing special but nothing offensive. A bit of odd bitterness that doesn't really "fit". Not bad, middle of the road.

12-24-2012 19:47:01 | More by Dope
Beer_Runner

4.23/5  rDev +17.2%

No bottle on date on the label or the bottle.

A: A slow pour into a standard pint glass resulted in a head of about one finger that was khaki colored, dense and clumpy. The head slowly dissipated to about an eighth of a finger that lasted through must of the session. The brew was a lighter shade of mahogany, a little cloudy, and almost translucent.

S: The aroma was very mild. What was detectable consisted of sweet malt and booze.

T: The taste was all sweet caramel-like malt and grains.

M: The body was far toward the heavier side of the medium range and very smooth, and the beer had a medium amount of carbonation.

O: This is a very simple, straight-forward old ale. In fact, it is the simplicity that makes this beer so appealing. It is sweet without becoming cloying, and the sweetness compliments the grains well. This beer is a very good baseline for thinking about old ales. It is also a very easy drinking beer – so be careful because it is 9% ABV. Overall, this is a pleasant and pleasing beer for fans of old ale. If you see it, buy it – you will be happy you did.

11-04-2012 23:49:00 | More by Beer_Runner
DrinkMoreBigBeers

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

This bottle is vintage 09 and the bottle states 9% abv.

A - I poured this really aggressive and got a half a finger of head which dissipated rather fast. It is well carbonated with a reddish brown color that seems to be murky. Also at the bottom of the bottle there is a good amount of yeast so be careful if you do not like it in your drink.

S - Can you say malt bomb on the nose. I get some fig and vine fruits with a sweet smell. It reminds me of rock candy on the nose. There is also a nice caramel presence to it. Nice!

T - This beer is sweet and malty, and not dry at all. I get caramel mostly on the taste with a small bit of alcohol on the back. Seems to be one note here. I really like the beginning on this one but the finish is a little odd to me.

M - Carbonation is good on this one with a nice smooth full bodied mouth feel. Smooth.

O - Factoring in the price on this one it is a decent beer but a little on the expensive side at just under 4 bucks a bottle. Its a nice beer if your a fan of old ales, if not I would pass on this one. Cheers!

09-21-2012 22:50:19 | More by DrinkMoreBigBeers
Alieniloquium

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Hunahpu snifter. 2010 bottle. Labeled 9% ABV.

Appearance - Amber/ruby red body with a small white head. I let it sit for a while but the surface never lost its bubbliness. Collar of white foam.

Smell - Fruity initial aroma. Caramel malt comes through along with an "earthy" hop aroma. Earthy might be a euphemism for stale.

Taste - Initially fruity, followed by a light caramel and slightly sweet flavor. Strong bready notes that turn into a dry, bitter finish. Again, earthy may be the nice way to put it. It's medicinal and bitter.

Mouthfeel - Dryish. Not so boozy. Bitter. Unexceptional.

Overall - Well it has some off flavors, but they don't make me cringe. Just wish they weren't there. Medicinal flavor and a very stale bitter finish.

09-08-2012 01:55:10 | More by Alieniloquium
gustogasmic

3.9/5  rDev +8%

2009 vintage, poured into a 10-ounce flute.

Pours a deep amber-red, with hardly and head and a light-tan ring, very nice lacing. minimal carbonation.

Smell is of sweet malt, maraschino cherry juice, whole wheat toast.

Taste follows closely, most of the experience is in the full, smooth mouthfeel, which carries subdued and well-balanced dried fruit/ candy notes. Detectable alcohol, which I am just fine with in my barleywines and old ales. A beast- very rich.

05-26-2012 03:16:05 | More by gustogasmic
schoolboy

This style should just be called big ale. That's what it is, really big and malty and with some hops taste but not enough to cover the malty-boozy taste.

It says handcrafted in 2009 and if that is the case I am glad it has settled in. Otherwise it would be much harsher.

It has a fine head and pretty color. The aroma is rich and dark and malty, without a lot of finishing hops. It's downright sticky tasting.

I would recommend this for fans of the style and if you want a really big, interesting beer. I would buy it again but it is not for everyday - it is special.

05-04-2012 22:56:57 | More by schoolboy
MatthewWilde

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Sample: 1 bottle 2011

A: Reddish brown garnet in color, moderate internal carbonation, pours a small white head that quickly becomes nice lacing, pretty hazy

S: Pretty fragrant, heavy dried fruits, some lemon zest, honey, some herbal undertones, even some pepper , quite complex

T: Flavor is as intense and complex as the nose, well balanced, dried fruit in primary, followed by some sweet (honey) spiciness, finishes with a bitter herbal note, very interesting

M: Very smooth, definitely intense on the palate, still well balanced, not too drying on the mouth, and a mellow aftertaste

O: Quite a unique and well balanced ale, certainly worth a try, fragrant and flavorful

05-04-2012 01:40:18 | More by MatthewWilde
acelightning80

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Thin head, nice amber color.

Smell: Not very aromatic, slight smell of hops. Wishing there was more smell to this beer.

Taste: Good bitter taste that fades into slight malty flavor. Just the two flavors, so not very complex, but nice blending of the two. Hides the higher gravity very well.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is very good, lots of carbonation and not too thick. Very good for the style.

Overall: A good beer. More aromatic would be nice and nothing really sticks out as special; but would recommend for drinking.

03-20-2012 02:34:10 | More by acelightning80
TMoney2591

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

2009 vintage. This dude seems way too cocky for my liking... The beer, though, looks lovely, bedecked in rosy garnet and topped by a steadfast finger of oatmeal-tan foam. The nose comprises maple syrup, toffee, mandarin orange syrup, dark leafy greens, a tiny sprig of mint, and a vein of cocoa in the background. The taste holds notes of toffee, mandarin orange syrup, light tobacco, cocoa, graham cracker, vanilla bean, brown sugar, Belgian candi sugar, and that same sprig of mint, very mild and very subtle, lodged way in the distance. The body is a straight medium, with a very light moderate carbonation, and a slightly slick feel. Overall, one of the best beers I've yet had fom Arcadia, this one wins on a number of levels. It falls just short of being truly special, but it is pretty damn good.

01-23-2012 02:04:41 | More by TMoney2591
StoutHunter

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Arcadia's Big Dick's Olde Ale a couple weeks ago for $3.79 at The Lager Mill. This is one of the last of Arcadia's seasonal big beers that I have yet to try, so I thought I should pick up a bottle to review, so lets see how it goes. 2010 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label on this beer is pretty plain and not as good as the one pictured on BA, I also I am not a fan of the name. It poured a very hazy and cloudy copper/brown color with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing. This a good looking Old ale, it had nice color and head.

S- This is one potent smelling brew. It starts off with heavy amounts of caramel and toffee malts that have a high amount of sweetness. There was a heavy dark fruit aroma with raisins sticking out the most, there was also some molasses, booze, vanilla, and a slight bit of oak, I also picked up a weird nail polish remover aroma. This beer had a pretty intense and interesting aroma.

T- The taste of this beer seems to be like a lighter version of the aroma. The first thing that I taste is the malts which are on the lighter side of the spectrum and impart some caramel and toffee flavors. After that comes some hops that i didn't get in the aroma, they impart a spicy and earthy hop flavor along with a little bit of tobacco at the end. After that comes a light amount of dark fruit, mainly raisins, molasses and a noticeable amount of slightly warming alcohol. The finish is sweet with a low amount of bitterness, some booze, and it had a malty raisin like aftertaste that didn't last long. This was an Ok tasting beer. but I was hoping that the flavors would be bolder and stick out much more like they in the aroma.

M- Slightly smooth, slightly sweet, some slightly warming alcohol, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was alright till I got to the body, it was pretty thin and felt watery, I didn't like it that much.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty bellow average Old Ale, I don't have a lot of experience with this style so I am no where near an expert on Old Ales, I just thought that flavor and body seemed watered down and the nice and intense aroma didn't make it's way over to the flavor which was disappointing. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, its a little boozy which doesn't work well when the beer feels watered down and the flavors just don't hold my attention, one is more then enough for me, you won't catch me reaching for another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, this beer looked damn good and had a really nice head for an Old Ale, the aroma wasn't too bad either. What I liked least about this beer was the taste and the mouthfeel, the taste was light and watery with the flavors no really doing it for me and the mouthfeel was also watery and much lighter then it should be. I won't be buying this beer again, it just didn't work for me and it was pretty expensive for what it was at $3.79 a bottle, there are much better beers to be found for that price. I can't say that I recommend this beer, if you really like Old Ales it may be worth the try, but I thought this beer was pretty run of the mill. I have never had this beer fresh so I don't know how the age has effected this beer but if the flavors were as intense as the aroma it probably wouldn't be that bad, but the flavors were much lighter letting some of the harsh off flavors show up more then they should. I just wasn't impressed with this beer, I would much rather have a Founders Curmudgeon and that beer is stronger and better priced, so far this is my least favorite Old Ale and one of my least favorite brews Arcadia, they can make some damn good beer, too bad that this wasn't one of them.

01-11-2012 05:09:46 | More by StoutHunter
buschbeer

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle
Served in a snifter
2010 Vintage

A - Upon pouring most of the bottle into my snifter I was greeted with an amber colored beer bordering on copper. I generous pour also yielded an inch of beige head.

S - During the pour sweet caramel and toffee malt wafted towards my nose. As I bury my nose in the glass I get some more sweetness in the form of molasses and alcohol.

T - The taste leans on the alcohol which is ever-present in each drink. The sweetness on the nose does not translate to the taste. Some caramel characteristics are noted, but the alcohol quickly makes it an afterthought.

M - It has a moderate mouth feel. It has little carbonation.

O - This is over a year old version of this beer, yet I am still inundated with the aroma and taste of alcohol. I'm wondering if older versions mellow it out on the senses. I'm not saying the alcohol is bad. It is a little too central in the characteristics.

01-04-2012 00:17:33 | More by buschbeer
powerss13

Kansas

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

I think this is a great beer. (That is; being fresh the year it is brewed. Might be even better laid down)

Serving: Bottle, poured to Tulip glass

Appearance: Dark cloudy look; Atleast in a Tulip glass it looks as if it has a belgian look to it, lighter in color but darkens with thickness.

Smell: Can't give too much good info/review on this due to a right nostril stuffed up! But what I can smell is a lot of malt with some caramel to it. (Please remember on this tasting that I do have a stuffed nose; thank you)

Taste: Lighter malty(spelling) taste; Great body to the beer; Smooth going down, not noticing the high alcohol content

Mouthfeel: Feels like a well balanced beer. Doesn't feel like a light beer at all, but doesn't feel like those real heavy beers either.

Overall: If this was available all year round, this would be an easy drinking beer with heavy alcohol content that could possibly get you into trouble with anyone(law, wife, etc...) It's a beer worth trying. Atleast buy a Single if available; if not, get a 4 pack and drink 1 (if you can resist) or 2 and then age the rest.

Also: the picture needs to be updated. They have a different label now.

12-21-2011 04:48:46 | More by powerss13
GRPunk

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

Bottle "handcrafted in 2010" hmmm. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- 1/2-finger tan head drops to a thin film, leaving light stick on the glass. Murky brown body.

S- Very much as I'd picture a smarty-art study. Leather and tobacco on first impression. Maybe a touch brandy-ish. Not harsh alcohol, but sweet and lightly boozy. Leafy hops offer a slight pull toward balance.

T- As aroma suggests, very rich. Slightly sweet with leafy/tobacco-like hops that are more in balance than the impression given by nose. A light spicy flavor from hopping, as well. Alcohol is pleasant, present but not harsh. Hops are especially clean and dry in the finish. Malts suggest brown sugar or caramel with hints of baking spice. At the risk of an oddball attribute, a little leathery?

M- Full body. Warming alcohol deep down in the finish. Light carbonation.

O- A wonderful winter nightcap. A nice sipper that gives the impression of a warming effect. Would be interested to see if the "2011" version is actually the current release. The bottle shop where I puchased this was in existence in 2010. A little odd, eh?

12-12-2011 01:29:51 | More by GRPunk
bushbeer75

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz brown bottle – Handcrafted in 2009

2009 Arcadia Big Dick’s Olde Ale poured a cloudy dark reddish brown color that produced a very bubbly light tan 1-finger head that dissipated rather fast. The nose is to the light side – of toffee and brown sugar. The flavor reveals; dark fruits, brown sugar, toffee, and light alcohol warming at the finish. Mouth feel is slightly slick and creamy with light carbonation that is correct for the style.

Arcadia Big Dick’s Olde Ale is not as complex or as rich as my favorite old ale North Coast Old Stock Ale. Big Dick’s Olde Ale is good and a very drinkable old Ale nevertheless.

12-05-2011 20:01:21 | More by bushbeer75
bamadog

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

Glad to see this one finally hit the shelves in a small format -- didn't want to commit to a 22 oz. bottle, but I can live 12. Review is from notes taken on 11/29/2011 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is a solid coppery color and it has a slight ruby tinge to it; body is really quite clear and shows light carbonation; starts with a short one finger off-white head that fades almost immediately to nothing other than a thin skim of an island with a ring around the surface; no lacing sticks around, just a slight oily residue.

Smell: Not too big coming out of the glass; warm caramel malts with a hint of dark raisins to it, alcohol is pretty present in the nose as well.

Taste: A little warmer than I thought it would be in terms of the booziness, even at only 8%; slight metallic bitterness in there, possibly from some hops; beyond that, the taste really matches the smell.

Mouthfeel: A little thin. I definitely prefer this style with a thicker, chewier body, but this one doesn't quite cut it there; it does leave a moderately thick stickiness that dries pretty quickly; belly is left warm from the alcohol.

Overall: Worth picking up as the prices was only $2/single, which isn't too shabby for the style. Typically I would say to just pop for the $13 four pack of Olde Stock, but if you're in the mood and don't feel like dropping the coin, this one will do.

11-30-2011 03:20:47 | More by bamadog
jmdrpi

12 oz bottle, label indicates 2010 vintage, and 9% abv.

appears a hazy rust color, with cream colored 1/2" head that disapates to a thin covering. aroma of caramel, fermented fruit.

flavor is all malt, buttery, a little boozy, and woody. lingering aftertaste. fairly smooth mouthfeel - medium body, lower carbonation.

overall, it doesn't hide the alcohol, but I still like it.

***Update at 1.5 years:
better head retention. aroma is about the same. taste has lost the boozy flavor. still a bit buttery. overall- the previous rough edges seem to have smoothed out. the alcohol is now hidden.

10-11-2011 02:29:12 | More by jmdrpi
Thorpe429

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%

Picked this bottle out of the cellar. Purchased this in Michigan in late 2010. Served in a snifter.

Pours a hazy reddish-brown color with a very thick and creamy off-white head. Really nice lacing and a good cap throughout. The nose brings forward some light toffee and brown sugar. Nothing too complex. Sweet malt throughout. Really quite plain and not all that integrated. Medium body with light carbonation and a fair amount of sweetness throughout. Decent enough, but not something that I would come back to.

07-31-2011 23:39:58 | More by Thorpe429
Beejay

2.68/5  rDev -25.8%

A: A murky deep brown body, with a light tan head on top.

S: Sweet and malty, there is a nice maple syrup note here. Some vanilla and oak scents. A touch of hop aroma in there.

T: Lots of roasted flavors, slightly tannic, with a weird vinegar note. There is some hop flavor in the finish, but it doesn't seem to meld well with the rest of the flavors. The end has a metallic taste to it.

M: Medium bodied, and slightly slick. The carbonation seems a touch high for me.

O: This beer just seems out of whack for me. It's a bunch of different flavors that don't come together to form one cohesive brew. Pass.

07-25-2011 01:31:15 | More by Beejay
shanblur

Indiana

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Vintage 2009 on bottle.

A - Murky brown with some orange and red hues. Tan head recedes quickly to a ring, with minimal lacing.

S - Sweet malt aroma with some hints of dark fruit. Alcohol definitely shows through.

T - Upfront sweetness with some bitterness from the hops. Can tell the alcohol. Some herbal taste also.

M - A bit light with minimal carbonation.

Not a bad beer overall. Not the best I have had of this style. Would not go out of my way to have another. Average across the board.

07-16-2011 17:38:47 | More by shanblur
Knapp85

This beer poured out as a light hazy red color. The head raised about an inch or so until it faded. The smell of the beer was a little spicy, boozy and had some sweet malts in there too. The taste had some dark fruits upfront that transformed into a smooth earthy spice flavor. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and pretty drinkable. Overall I would drink this one again.

07-14-2011 16:58:09 | More by Knapp85