Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial StoutArcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: aforbes10 on 12-03-2006

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 212 | Reviews: 45
Reviews by dbc5:
4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

12 ounce waxed bottled poured into Southern Tier Pumking tulip.

A: Pour looks thick. One finger tan head, color is lighter than I expect from a big barrel aged imperial stout. Black body with no light shining through when held to light.

S: Nose is dominated by milk chocolate, bourbon, and vanilla. As it warms, a bit of the barrel becomes apparent, but the three previously listed are the dominate aromas.

T: Taste follows the nose. Nice blend of milk chocolate and bourbon up front. Some vanilla and a coconut like character at the end. The barrel is well integrated in this one; the bourbon and oak isn't as upfront as in some other BB stouts such as Bourbon County or even KBS, but it definitely makes its present felt and contributes an excellent character to the beer. Very slight residual bitterness on the tongue.

M: Oily and dense. The thickness that was apparent when pouring carries over to the mouth. Fairly low carbonation, but it works well with the overall mouthfeel.

O: A really nice beer, although I would put it a notch below the heavy hitters such as BCBS, KBS, and Bourbon Barrel Plead the Fifth. I was slightly disappointed by the $8.99 price tag on this bottle, but despite that, I'm enjoying the drinking experience.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep black body. Small khaki head. The thinnest of collars as it settles.

Smell - Bourbon. Oak. Some dark chocolate. Booze.

Taste - Very oaky. Bourbon behind the oak. Sharp boozy bourbon. Dark chocolate. No sweetness. Oak lingers in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium low carbonation. A little boozy. Medium heavy body.

Overall - Excellent beer all around. Never overpowering, except maybe the oak.

4.34/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 poured in a snifter.

Black, dark flat with almost no life. Less than a bubbles width of head sat on top of a gorgeous darkness.

Huge coconut aroma on the nose, slight vanilla and even a bit of chocolate. Marshmallow and Graham Cracker finish the scent with a deep creaminess.

The barrel hits the tongue with all the flavor you can ask. Deep, rich creamy coconut and delicious vanilla flavor are all encompassing. Sweet bourbon and oakey wood couples with caramel, toffee and chocolate to make a beautiful mixture.

The feel is very creamy but thinner than I would expect. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad but with the sludge like pour I thought it would feel like a chocolate shake.

I absolutely loved this and found it to be close to BCBS and LBS and a right joy!

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

12 ounce wax capped bottle, not sure about the age of this bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black with a half inch tan head that sticked around for a little while. There's a small amount of lacing. The brew smells like roasted malt, dark fruit, bourbon, vanilla, bittersweet chocolate, and some coffee. I think the taste is just like the aroma for the most part. The taste seems the same to me, I don't pick up anything different at all. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit coating with moderate carbonation. I liked this brew, although I can't say I've ever had the non-barrel aged version. $7.99 a bottle, probably a little too much for this but it was still nice to try it. Worth trying if you come across it.

4.5/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

My first Imperial Stout, recommended by a knowledgeable fellow at my local craft/import shop. The wax seal took me by a pleasant surprise, a totally unique&badass touch. I then felt compelled to blast viking metal& black metal during the rest of my review, imagining that an evil sorcerer or Norse warrior would dig this brew. I digress...
Anyways, the second i cracked this puppy open, the bourbon smell was noticeable, but not fumey, acrid, or overbearing AKA tolerable, if not pleasant.
I kid you not, this poured like a cola. Despite its obvious thickness just by taking a careful look as you pour this.
Head is somewhat lumpy& very deep brown, but not so that it borders between black.
The initial is a nice big caramel flavor, very delicious, and goes down surprisingly crisp and clean. Yet another pleasant surprise with this Imperial Stout is that its ABV is up there, the "oomph" is very subtle and passes off quickly.
Overall, for my first Imperial Stout, this was a great introduction that I will certainly buy again when I'm in the mood for this particular type of brew.

2.26/5  rDev -41.8%

Reviewing the Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout from Arcadia Brewing Company out of Battle Creek, Michigan.

Score: 45

Bottled 10/08/12. Served in a Perennial and enjoyed during the All-Star Game on 07/16/13.

Appearance: Pours an inky black color with a wisp of head that quickly settles to a pencil-thin ring around the glass. No lacing or retention -- not even oily legs. Flat in appearance. 2/5

Smell: Sweet bourbon with modest alcohol esters primarily, followed by milk chocolate. Vanilla and molasses. Raisin too. 3.5/5

Taste: Sweet raisin, sweet molasses/brown sugar and bourbon. Touch of roast. Finishes with a light sweet vanilla and prune flavor. A little boozy, but not any more so than the nose led on. I do not feel that the flavors meld well. Has an odd tanginess in the finish with a dash of licorice. Not a fan of how the flavors mix here, and the finish leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 2/5

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, no carbonation. Watery with a little residual stickiness on the palate. Way too thin bodied. This is far from the world's sweetest brew, but the beer has no body to back up the sweetness. 1/5

Overall: Did not enjoy this beer one bit. It was thin-bodied, flat, sweet and the flavors did not integrate well. Certainly not worth the price tag. Skip this one.

Cost: $8.99 for a 12 oz bottle.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

12 FLUID OUNCE bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It is black as night. I really didn't get much head. I got a little bit of mocha head on top, and it was gone quick.

S - I get some bourbon and vanilla right away. As it warms I get some dark fruit with plum coming to mind.

T - The bourbon lends a mellowing effect to this beer. I get some soft notes of bourbon and vanilla. The roasted malts have melded into a molasses and dark chocolate flavor. There is a little dark fruit on the finish.

M - Full and smooth.

O - This is a solid barrel aged stout. Arcadia is rarely mentioned with all the great beer coming out of Michigan, but they have solid offerings. And for a 12% beer, it is smooth as hell.

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%

I was let down by this beer. If given the choice between the BA Imperial Stout and the BA Shipwreck Porter, go with the Porter. The BA Imperial is all bourbon flavor with no sweetness to balance it out. Very thin mouthfeel and too much carbonation. Aroma and appearance are the only positives with this failure of a BA Stout.

Maybe I'm spoiled with all the other BA offerings like Backwoods Bastard, Plead the Fifth, and BCBS that are in the Midwest but I could do without ever drinking another Acadia Ales BA Imperial Stout.

4.16/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I picked a bottle of Arcadia's Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout last month for $7.49 at The Lager Mill. I picked up one of these along with some Bourbon Barrel Cereal Killer and I thought the Cereal Killer was pretty good so I have high expectations for this one, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a waxed brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty standard just like their other Bourbon Barrel beers, simple and straight forward and it's got a lot of red wax that made it a little difficult to open. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through with a fingers worth of slightly darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and left a little bit of lacing behind with some noticeable alcohol legs, This beer looks good, it's true to style, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a really strong and distinctive woody oak aroma followed by some bourbon and vanilla aromas. Up next comes the malts that impart some roasted and lighter chocolate aromas followed by a nice caramel and toffee like aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma but I wish the roasted malts showed up just a little more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed followed by a good amount of flavors that were imparted from the barrel, the oak is still the most dominant but the bourbon and vanilla show up nicely and all together the barrel aspect isn't too overpowering. Up next comes the malts which impart a medium amount or roasted malt and chocolate with just a slight bit of dark fruits and a little bit of caramel towards the end. There's a lighter amount of bitterness with a noticeable amount of warming alcohol that is actually well hidden and it doesn't seem as strong as it. The aftertaste had some nice roasted malt and light chocolate flavors along with some bourbon. This is a pretty good tasting beer, the bourbon barrel went well with the base beer, but i wish the base stuck out a little more to add some better balance to this beer.

M- Pretty smooth, a little warming, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I wish it was a little thicker and chewier with a little less carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a solid example of the style, I have had better, but I have also had for worse, I admit I thought the base beer was just ok, the barrel helped it, but I still think a more robust malt aspect would help this beer out a good deal. This beer had good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, and the flavor did a good job at holding my attention, but I think one is enough for me, I might get myself into some trouble if I decided to drink another one by myself, it had good drinkability for the style though. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste, it was pretty good and true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, Just like the Bourbon Barrel Aged Cereal Killer it was on the thin side and it had a little more carbonation than it needed. I would buy this beer again, I only bought one since I wasn't the biggest fan of the base beer but this one turned out pretty good and I think I might grab another bottle or two at the store while they are still around, it's a little on the expensive side but at least it's not a $20 Bomber, I recommend this to anyone who likes Bourbon Barrel aged beers, it's worth a try. All in all I was happy with this beer, it wasn't as great as I hoped, but it's still good. I think Bourbon Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter was better than this and it had a stronger malt backbone, but you won't see me turn down this beer anytime soon and it makes for a nice distraction while I wait for the next batch of Bourbon Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter. Good job guys, I've been digging these specialty bottles and hope to see more variants in the future.

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass.

A: Brownish / black with thick off white head.

S: Chocolate, slightly sour.

T: Vanilla, caramel, green olives.

M: Good mouthfeel, thick and creamy.

O: I expected more, not that its bad by any means, hopefully time in the celler will tell for this one. It hid the 12% ABV pretty well I think. The slight sour flavors have me wondering if something is seriously wrong with this beer or not. Not a bad beer but for the money I'd probably pick out something else.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours jet black with a small khaki head that sticks around leaving nice film and lacing. The aromas are very nice. Lots of caramel. The bourbon and the chocolate blend harmoniously, giving this a wonderful nose. There's subtle hints of wood/oak, but the chocolate and bourbon clearly dominate the nose and there's a good balance. The flavors are pretty nice, but not exactly mind blowing. Lots of chocolate malts and vanilla. Some butterscotch. Very earthy. The booze from the bourbon never goes overboard, but becomes one dimensional after awhile and somewhat falls flat. It's not hot at all, which is a good thing. Mouthfeel is wonderful. It's full-bodied, not milkshake thick, but it's thick. The carbonation is there and it's smooth like motor oil. This makes a great sipper and is easy to drink. The alcohol is extremely well hidden at 12% abv, but still remains a sipper. I wouldn't have guessed this was 90 IBU either.

This is a very solid barrel-aged stout. I just wish the flavors popped more and had a little more going on, but it's still tasty enough. I would imagine this beer would age very well, but it's drinking quite fine at the moment. I was expecting it to be hotter while fresh, but there's a nice balance, which is always a plus.

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a finger of brown head over a nearly black body. The head dissipates in a little over a minute and I'm left with a little ring. The beer laces up a little bit.

Booze. You get a little vanilla and malt, but this reeks of bourbon.

Malt and vanilla try to make a stand. Attempting to taste around the booze, I do also pick up dark fruit, hints of coffee, chocolate and a good woodiness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied. It goes down a little easier than I had hoped. It coats the tongue rather evenly.

A - Pours extremely black with a one finger mocha head that leaves no lacing.

S - Smells like straight up bourbon. Seriously smells like Jack Daniels straight outta the bottle.

T - Loads of bourbon and oak with a bit of vanilla. Pretty much tastes like the previous contents of the barrel.

M - Very light, boozy body with light carbonation.

O - Overall, It certainly lives up to it's name. A hot, slow drinker. Smooth for the ABV.

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A- Brownish black with a nice head immediately after pour. No lacing, settled out quickly.

S- Very pleasant to the nose, aromas of malt and boozy bourbon prominently featured

T- Bourbon stands tall, perhaps a bit hot, but I prefer my barrel aged stouts to be on the boozy side. Dark roasted malt, oak and vanilla tones, with a nice lingering coffee finish on the back end.

M- Superb mouthfeel, this brew is lighter than expected, but it is well balanced and has the perfect amount of carbonation for the style.

O- Similar to BCBS, but not nearly as complex, with less body; well balanced and perfect mouthfeel. Probably a bit on the boozy side for many BA's, but personally this is right up my alley and I really enjoyed it. Wish I could find a few more bottles, thankful for the two that I scored.

2.47/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Bottle cost me $7..
Immediate thoughts-- not worth half.

BA Shipwreck Porter BLOWS this is one away.

This is just not very good. Rather thin, watery feel, undercarbonated.

Dry roasty malt has a hint acrid smokiness before the bourbon comes in--- it it completely over the top boozy bourbon, and it isnt a good thing. I liie a big boozy punch in the face, when it is done well... here is a poor example.

The finish offers a strange cola note.

The appearance is the best single attribute, but even that is flawed. Deep dark body with a slight head of 3/4 finger. The head was composed of giant bubbles, and when those poppped, they went quickly. From 3/4 finger to flat cola in about 18 seconds.

Overall--- no thanks.
Some beers just don't work with a barrel. I have $7 that says this is one of those.
Not worth the time or money.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours light, immediately noticing that this beer is not as thick as one would hope. Light colored head, also not that dark brown color you'd like to see for this style. Looks more like an oatmeal stout.

Smell is deep raisin, bourbon and booze.

Big dark fruit/raisin in the flavor matching the nose, as well as a nice sweet vanilla note to compliment the tangy dark fruit, and bourbon. The flavors mesh decently, then disappear as the finish is surprisingly absent of any lingering flavors. Not the depth you'd like to see for this style, but not terrible. Surprisingly drinkable, and at 12% you feel the booze quickly.

The trend continues as absence of depth in the mouth is just simply too light for this for me. Thankfully the carbonation is on point and keeps this drinkable and smooth.

Overall, decent but definitely not worth the $7 I paid for the bottle. I bought 3 of these (ouch) plus 2 BBA Cerial Killers.

4.37/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Pitch black with 1 finger of brown head.

Nose
Dark chocolate, fudge and vanilla. Dark fruits, coffee and hints of bourbon.

Taste
Dark chocolate, fudge and vanilla. Rum raisin, figs and notes of dark roast coffee. A light bourbon essence. Very light on the barrel character but big on vanilla.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, silky, smooth and warming.

Overall
Arcadia continuously surprises me with their barrel aging program. 12%? I would have never known. :)

3.88/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours out of the bottle dark brown, produced a finger of khaki colored and tight bubbled head. Smells of vanilla, oak, milk chocolate and bourbon booze. Smells really good. Taste is much the same as smell. A thin body that tasted of vanilla up front, milk chocolate and a lingering bourbon alcohol flavor that seems to wash out most of the other flavors. Eh. This drinks like a lot of the midwestern bourbon barreled stouts a la Blacknote and Blackout. Thin body, huge bourbon notes and almost no sweetness.

3.35/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Fairly aggressively poured from from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter branded with Arcadia Brewing Company's logo, the Celtic knot

Pours midnight black with a bone white one finger head. The head dissipates fairly quickly, no evident lacing. Bakers chocolate, oak, and bourbon notes on the nose. Opens with dark, bitter cocoa, some fleeting dark stone fruit notes midpalate, finishes with strong oak and bourbon boozy notes. The lighter end of full-bodied, low carbonation; fairly smooth and slick. Enjoyable, but the barrel tends to slightly overwhelm the base beer at times. Less time in the barrel would actually do this brew some good, so the base beer shines through a bit more.

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 12 oz glass into a snifter. Thanks Keith for this one.

Pours a deep brown, nearly black body with a small head that reduces quickly to a ring of foam.

Smells of.. Jack Daniels. Straight whiskey at first. Tons of whiskey. Upon further evaluation, I get some vanilla extract and cocoa mixed with.. Jack Daniels. I've never smelled a more whiskey forward beer.

Taste has a little less whiskey but not much less.. Whiskey upfront, chocolate, vanilla, and toffee on the follow through, then more whiskey on the finish.

Mouthfeel is lacking.. Over carbonated and too light for a 12% stout. Not rich

If I wanted a stout that tasted like this one, I would have found mediocre stout and threw a shot of whiskey in it. Not complex or balanced. Pretty bad.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

1758th Review on BA
Bottle to Woodshop Snifter
12oz

Waxed 2012
Purchased from Binnys, Naperville, IL

App- More along the lines of a brown bordering on black in the glass. Was very dense but not as deeply rich as I wouldve thought. The head made this beer. It was a nice 2 finger light tan/brownish with a great cling line.

Smell- A lighter aromatic BA stout. It was a nice RIS with a small malt and chocolate component behind it. The oak was semi-subtle with a bit of prickliness behind it. Wasnt overly aromatic with one flavor dominating the nose. Was just a couple ticks abover average.

Taste- It was good for a BA stout. Not on par with others I have had. A bit thin on the barrel with the base RIS seeming to poke out a little more with small roast, chocolate and bitterness behind it. Semi layered to me with it being prickly vs. smooth as well.

Mouth- A lighter prickly medium body with a high medium carbonation. Bubbles danced on this one. Residual oak and chocolate with a small roasty component.

Drink- It was good. Thought this wouldve been a bit better. Semi-balanced with a good prickly flavor and a small oak tinge. Needs a bit more body and layer IMO.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, 2013 vintage release. Pours fairly pitch black color with a 1 finger moderately dense dark khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of chocolate, roasted malt, light char, bourbon, oak, clove, vanilla, toffee, toast, raisin, and roasted earthiness. Nice aromas with good balance and complexity of malt and barrel notes; with solid strength. Taste of dark chocolate, roasted malt, toffee, vanilla, oak, clove, bourbon, toast, coffee, light char, raisin, and roasted earthiness. Light earthy roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, roasted malt, toffee, vanilla, oak, clove, bourbon, toast, coffee, light char, raisin, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of malt and barrel flavors; with a great barrel presence that isn’t overpowering and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a creamy and lightly slick mouthfeel that is good; a bit thinner than expected. Alcohol is well hidden with only a small warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very good barrel aged imperial stout. Good balance and complexity of malt and barrel flavors; and quite smooth to sip on for the ABV. A nicely enjoyable offering.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

big thanks to genuinedisciple for the hookup. enjoyed from my eclipse snifter.

a - brew poured a silky black with a thin off white beige head of bubbles that bubbled away fairly quickly leaving a single island of bubbles on the surface and a ring of bubbles clinging to the glass at the surface. definitely has that barrel shine.

s - dark fruit coated in chocolate and soaked in booze.

t - decadent chocolate slaps you in the face. as it finishes leaves a boozy sangria like tingle in my mouth. nice dark fruit element.

m - thick and chewy. alcohol tingles.

o - overall a bit hot, but damn enjoyable.

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into snifter. Thanks Jay!

A: Pours near black with a finger of dark brown head that quickly faded into a thin collar.
S: Sweet chocolate, sweet caramel, and sweet vanilla with undertones of spicy bourbon barrel and warming booze. Hints of brown sugar.
T: Follows the nose with flavors of rich chocolate fudge, chocolate syrup, barrel spices, cinnamon, vanilla, and toasted marshmallow in the finish. Aftertaste is warming with hints of spicy bourbon.
M: Full body, sweet, slick and warming mouthfeel, low carbonation.
O: Integrated and balanced bbl-aged RIS. Double digit booze hidden well. Thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks again jbck109.

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 3

Red waxed screw-top bottle, purchased a couple months ago, no visible date or numbering, 7.99 for a 12oz.

Pours near black, a very dark brown, with a light tan head that doesn't fully form. What does form sticks around for a long time and leaves lacing.

Aroma is a little boozy, vanilla, bourbon, light roast.

Flavor has the same barrel character, light roast, vanilla bourbon, but honestly not impressive despite being some of my favorite flavors - they seem hollow. Slightly astringent finish. A little light overall for an imperial, and not enough of the base stout seems to come through.

Mouthfeel is too thin. Carbonation is nearly absent, which is confusing because it had a small but long-lasting head. Some heat which is fine given the style and abv.

Overall - looks good, smells good, but the lack of carbonation ruins an already thin mouthfeel, and the flavors seem lacking.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »