Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial StoutArcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: aforbes10 on 12-03-2006)

There is nothing I didn't love about this beer. Yes, in a year it will mellow and the booziness will subside. The smell was absolute joy! Cherry, bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, bready-malt, CHOCOLATE, semi-sweet cocoa, coffee...it's all there! The taste, ditto! Let this gal age a year or more, wooow! Can't wait!! But I must. You can sit there and dissect the front, back and middle all you want, this is one damn great brew which will only get better with age. Pick up at least two if you can and drink one now and let one sit in the cellar. Enjoy, I did!

4.66/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very powerful aroma with a stronger taste. Pours dark. Great with food. The bourbon barrel is strong in this one. Amazingly well balanced, but still very bourbony. This is a good representation of what a Kentucky bourbon barrel can do for a beer. I would recommend this beer to bourbon enthusiasts.

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

My first Imperial Stout, recommended by a knowledgeable fellow at my local craft/import shop. The wax seal took me by a pleasant surprise, a totally unique&badass touch. I then felt compelled to blast viking metal& black metal during the rest of my review, imagining that an evil sorcerer or Norse warrior would dig this brew. I digress...
Anyways, the second i cracked this puppy open, the bourbon smell was noticeable, but not fumey, acrid, or overbearing AKA tolerable, if not pleasant.
I kid you not, this poured like a cola. Despite its obvious thickness just by taking a careful look as you pour this.
Head is somewhat lumpy& very deep brown, but not so that it borders between black.
The initial is a nice big caramel flavor, very delicious, and goes down surprisingly crisp and clean. Yet another pleasant surprise with this Imperial Stout is that its ABV is up there, the "oomph" is very subtle and passes off quickly.
Overall, for my first Imperial Stout, this was a great introduction that I will certainly buy again when I'm in the mood for this particular type of brew.

4.39/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Pitch black with 1 finger of brown head.

Nose
Dark chocolate, fudge and vanilla. Dark fruits, coffee and hints of bourbon.

Taste
Dark chocolate, fudge and vanilla. Rum raisin, figs and notes of dark roast coffee. A light bourbon essence. Very light on the barrel character but big on vanilla.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, silky, smooth and warming.

Overall
Arcadia continuously surprises me with their barrel aging program. 12%? I would have never known. :)

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 poured in a snifter.

Black, dark flat with almost no life. Less than a bubbles width of head sat on top of a gorgeous darkness.

Huge coconut aroma on the nose, slight vanilla and even a bit of chocolate. Marshmallow and Graham Cracker finish the scent with a deep creaminess.

The barrel hits the tongue with all the flavor you can ask. Deep, rich creamy coconut and delicious vanilla flavor are all encompassing. Sweet bourbon and oakey wood couples with caramel, toffee and chocolate to make a beautiful mixture.

The feel is very creamy but thinner than I would expect. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad but with the sludge like pour I thought it would feel like a chocolate shake.

I absolutely loved this and found it to be close to BCBS and LBS and a right joy!

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A- Brownish black with a nice head immediately after pour. No lacing, settled out quickly.

S- Very pleasant to the nose, aromas of malt and boozy bourbon prominently featured

T- Bourbon stands tall, perhaps a bit hot, but I prefer my barrel aged stouts to be on the boozy side. Dark roasted malt, oak and vanilla tones, with a nice lingering coffee finish on the back end.

M- Superb mouthfeel, this brew is lighter than expected, but it is well balanced and has the perfect amount of carbonation for the style.

O- Similar to BCBS, but not nearly as complex, with less body; well balanced and perfect mouthfeel. Probably a bit on the boozy side for many BA's, but personally this is right up my alley and I really enjoyed it. Wish I could find a few more bottles, thankful for the two that I scored.

Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout from Arcadia Brewing Company