2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arcadia Cocoa Loco - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Cocoa LocoArcadia Cocoa Loco

good

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: schusterbauer on 02-23-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Cocoa Loco Alström Bros
Ratings: 492 | Reviews: 283 | Show All Ratings:
maximum12

1.4/5  rDev -60.9%

What is this concoction?

Weird, weird, weird. First, it's black. Second, it smells like milk.

Third, it taste frickin weird. Like a strange, rather unpleasant cross between breast milk, water, with a faint whiff of melted Madagascar chocolate, & belly lint.

This is awful. Down the drain she goes.

02-07-2009 04:19:29 | More by maximum12
ToddT

1.58/5  rDev -55.9%

A- Nice dark chocolate color with a two finger tan head. Head falls slowly to a sticky ring that leaves nice lacing on the top of the glass.

S- Kind of weird, chocolate but almost smells slightly spoiled or medicinal. I'm kind of put off by the smell.

T- Thankfully it doesn't taste like it smells. Chocolate up front, mixed with a sweet molasses, and something else that I can't put my finger on that is not that pleasant. Might be what it was aged in but it doesn't mix well with the rest of the tastes. Finished very sweet and dry.

M- A little on the thin side for the color and what I was expecting out of this, not really creamy either. Has a light carbonation.

D- One is enough for me. I am put off by something in this.

Maybe I just got a bad one. I'll try it again but only to see if this one was a bad one, if it tastes the same I'll pour it out and get something else. I finally put my finger on the aftertaste and the smell this is going to sound weird but it almost like a brine or olives, not something I want in my beer, maybe a martini but not my beer.

02-23-2009 03:57:53 | More by ToddT
bobhits

Kentucky

1.6/5  rDev -55.3%

2006cocoa loco

A bit apprehensive of trying these arcadia ales with this much age on them. 7% is a touch iffy.

Opens with a strong "pppshh" and pours a nice tall tan head. Solid legs on this and especially good at 7%. This beer seems a bit thicker than the 7% would indicate.

The aroma is that of sour. This reminds me a lot of the big dick ale I have had recently. My fear is this is a sign the beers have gone bad, but part of me feels this flavor is too similar. Perhaps a similar yeast or something along those lines. There is a faint coco finish to indicate that this is a stout after all.

A sweet/sour strong sour ale like malt opens this beer. Followed by subtle coco and faint chocolate malt. I don't pick up on any lactose effects or the molasses that's supposed to be in this one. After heating the beer up running hot water against the glass, the beer has taken on some more stout like characteristics. An almost sickeningly sweet malt mixes with cocoa flavors that aren't strong or bitter enough to even try and balance things out. No burnt malt flavors what so ever leaves this beer impressively unenjoyable. I can't imagine this was ever a good beer, there just aren't even remnants of one remaining.

This is a drain pour without question. I want to try this fresh but it seems all I see lately are 3-5 year old bottles of Arcadia's beers and they are showing up new to the stores. I have no idea if there's some weird issue with Kentucky's distribution chains or what. Either way I'm skeptical to blame this beer completely on the age considering all their beers seem to give off this odd flavor.

03-14-2011 22:59:16 | More by bobhits
Biggness

1.7/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Me and my wife had dinner @ arcadia last night. I saw on the board that there was a double imperial chocolate stout being served and I nearly creamed my pants, here I am thinking Rogue Chocolate stout. Well WOW I don't think I have ever been so disappointed by a beer. The appearance was nice but that was about it. The flavor was borderline repulsive, drink this beer next to a Rogue Chocolate stout and tell me how u give this beer anything higher than a c?!?! The mouthfeel was also very uncomfortable. Calling this a Double Imperial Stout is travesty it tasted more like a skunked Milwaukee's Best with food coloring in it.

06-14-2008 11:52:35 | More by Biggness
mtnbikerpa

1.95/5  rDev -45.5%

When poured came out Black in appearance, virtually no head. Other than two small streaks, there was no lacing. Smells like an old cheap chocolate bar... and I am not talking about hershey. Almost waxy aroma.
Flavor definately didnt improve as it the brew warmed. No signifigant difference in flavor than an average stout. Mouthfeel was too heavy to enjoy at its "seasonal release time." If you are expecting something special don't was you time on this one.

08-08-2009 13:38:33 | More by mtnbikerpa
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

2.05/5  rDev -42.7%

No bottle dating, poured into goblet...

A- Deep brownish black with red hues. A small cm of pale khaki head dies to barely film with no lacing.

S- Oh boy... Stale coffee, fusels, tart dark cherries, chalky processed chocolate. Not the most appetizing aroma, as it comes off fabricated and flawed.

T/M- Wtf? Tastes like straight rubbing alcohol on first drink. I guess there is some roasted coffee, but overshadowed by an acrid burnt taste. Some hidden sweet fig, again pushed aside by an intense alcohol flavor. Minimal carbonation on a dull body makes this boring and lifeless on the palate.

O- Anything remotely decent in this beer is overpowered by an off flavor or unpleasant factor. Alcohol presence is just waaay to much like straight ethanol. This is the little beer that could... but didn't

09-09-2011 03:28:49 | More by TheGordianKnot
Mitchster

2.2/5  rDev -38.5%

Brewed with a combination of three different chocolate malts, "Premium English 2-row malted barley", "Premium Pacific Northwest Hops", cocoa nibs, 63% cacao bittersweet chocolate, lactose, and blackstrap molasses. 7.0% ABV, 39 IBUs. 2008 Winner Best in Show, World Expo of Beer.

$3.69 for a 12oz bottle. Pours out to a very dark deep brown, forming a modest light tan head which quickly recedes and doesn't form any lace. The carbonation is mild, requiring a firm pour to achieve a head. The aroma is of cocoa nibs, with the piquant woody vanilla nose that nibs have, followed by slightly sour milk and more milk and a whiff of alcohol when swirled. The mouthfeel is sharp with kiwi acidity. I think this batch might be tainted because it is much more sour than anticipated for the style. I suspect a bottling sanitation issue, which unfortunately seems to be the norm from Arcadia and many other Michigan brewers. In other words, this will not age well so don't even bother. Medium bodied. Taste is a recap of the aroma. Chocolate nibs, kiwi fruit, milk, mild herbal bitterness, medium bodied, with chalky mineral adjuncts and a sour aftertaste. Moderately sweet despite the sourness, but still not a good combo.

I bet this is heavenly on tap, but in the bottle, there is an obvious problem. Drain pour.

01-15-2010 19:35:19 | More by Mitchster
Lauthaha

2.2/5  rDev -38.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown which ends up as nearly-opaque in the glass. Head is medium-dark tan color which recedes leaving interesting bubbly lacing. Not a bad start.

Smell: My first thought is, "They had a problem covering up the alcohol." Really? At only 7% ABV? That's my first thought? There is certainly some mocha flavor in there somewhere, but I'm not impressed.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer is fairly watery for a "stout." Medium carbonation reveals nothing but a real rubbing alcohol flavor. Sour in all the wrong ways, and almost no chocolate nor coffee in the taste. Aftertaste is all alcohol.

Overall: Fairly disappointed in this brew. It's drinkable (as in, I'm *going* to drink it), but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Perhaps my opinion is swayed because I had an RIS to precede this one...but seriously...beer is supposed to taste good no matter when you drink it, and this just isn't hitting the spot.

04-22-2011 00:57:14 | More by Lauthaha
mphopkins99

Missouri

2.28/5  rDev -36.3%

Don't know if I got a skunked bottle, but this was a major disappointment. Highly carbonated, almost soda-like in mouthfeel and texture. Did not really have any of the chocolate or coffee small or taste I associate with this kind style.

Not at all what I was expecting or hoping for.

02-22-2009 21:04:11 | More by mphopkins99
clarkm04

Nebraska

2.38/5  rDev -33.5%

Appearance- Very dark and inviting with a slight tan head retention. The beer looks low to medium carbonation.

Smell- Notes of sweetness predominantly chocolate notes with an undercurrent of molasses. There's a hint of smell that I don't care for. It makes me slightly gag a bit.

Taste- Very sweet forefront taste that is loaded in chocolate. It slides into a finishing note. It's similar to chocolate milk but much heavier and slightly sour on the end. This is one strange beer. The first bottle I had a few weeks ago I absolutely hated it. Having it a second time, I like it better. It is too sweet and funky. Those expecting a typical chocolate stout will be disappointed as this beer is much sweeter and the lactose provides flavor notes that you will either enjoy or dislike.

Mouthfeel- The beer sits nicely on the tongue. Very light and tasty with low carbonation.

Drinkability- For me, it's fairly low. I could probably only drink a bottle or two.

Overall- I'm still torn about this beer. Last time I had it, I would have given it a D but after having it again, I like it better but not by much. It's still a too sweet and off-kilter. I actually drain poured the last part of it.

The beer is kind of a mess. I did find it unique and interesting but other aspects of the beer did not sit at all with me.

12-22-2010 03:25:01 | More by clarkm04
Higravity

2.4/5  rDev -33%

At Ashley's in Ann Arbor, I have also had a bomber from the brewery. The Bottle was much worse hence I was willing to try it on tap. The following review is from having it on tap. From the bottle I thin the bottle has more value for the 10 cent refund than the beer inside.

On-tap
Nice dark black coloring with brown red edges and a thin head of cocoa. The smell is of a stout but were is the chocolate. Loco means crazy right well the lack of a crazy chocolate-like aroma leads to big no real taste of chocolate. I couldn't taste the choclate either and the beer was so thin it reminds me of Kate Moss. Looks can be deceiving and this one really leaves me scratching my head. I really love the regular brews from Arcadia but the big beer series is mostly junk. I hope the start over.

04-16-2007 12:22:42 | More by Higravity
Murchmac

2.4/5  rDev -33%

Thanks to flandersned to try something from this brewery.

Dark brown highlights, nice finger foam head.

Booze, cocoa, chocolate.

Roasty, cocoa, molasses, stingy bitter hops.

I was hoping for a malt bomb and got a hoppy mess. The hops they used didnt fit the rest of the beer. Too bitter, west coast hops dont fit with this beer.

05-30-2010 04:36:49 | More by Murchmac
thequeen711

2.58/5  rDev -27.9%

Deep chocolate colour, poured from the bottle to a .5 liter glass full of foam, just too frothy! Taste was slightly creamy, there was a bitter aroma detected here...This is not one of the best stouts I've had, and it left me disappointed. I expected a more chocolate feel. I also detected a bitter aftertaste...

06-18-2008 01:05:37 | More by thequeen711
brewintheLou

Missouri

2.63/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours very dark brown with a frothy top head with large bubbles underneath

Smell is of chalky cocoa and also has a sweet aroma.

Hmmm... strange taste on the first drink... starts with a super sweet tang and metalic flavor. Then a strong cocoa-mix taste comes through and lingers on the palate. Sure is chalky. Very different from any other beer I have had. Mouthfeel seems to be thin, but like I said the beer sticks around even after you think it's gone. It seems to stick to the roof of your mouth and gums. Drinkability is not high given I don't think I would ever crave or pick this up again.

02-05-2009 00:43:44 | More by brewintheLou
adamette

2.63/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at Wegman's in Lakewood, NY for a price that I cannot recall which was before I visited the brewery in Battle Creek, MI a few weeks ago. Poured into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. No observed "best by" date. 7% ABV mentioned on label. Part of "The Brew Crew Big Beer Series" according to label as well.

A Pours an extremely dark body that glows a deep, dark burgundy in front of direct light with a nice, fluffy, creamy medium brown head. The head leaves nice lacing as well. 4.0

S Dark roast malt is subtle. Repeated sniffs revealed a nice gentle sweet chocolate, molasses. Smell probably made more gentle by the lactose I suppose. Nice smelling Milk Stout to me. 4.0

T A little too harsh dark roast malt. Harsh in that there is a bitterness to the malt possibly due to the very dark nature of them that is really annoying and strong. In fact, gone is the promise of a nice, gentle chocolate, molasses and maybe even the lactose mentioned on the label due to the biting harshness of the burned malt taste. 2.5

M Ultra creamy head softens the feel but the harsh dark roast malt cannot be helped by the head and it makes the feel too harsh and biting for me. 2.0

D Not really too good due to the harshness of the dark roast malt. I enjoy a good dark roast stout but this one is just so dark that I am distracted by it. I could not drink more than a pint and poured out the remaining 6 ounces. I do not do this very often but this was a bit of a chore to drink. 1.5

Notes: While the harsh bitter dark roast (nearly burnt!) malt reduced my enjoyment of this beer, it is clearly better than several of the other Arcadia Ales in that it provided much interest. Several of the others (Angler's Ale comes to mind) were really boring. Lastly, I do not know how this is not a milk stout.

11-02-2009 05:14:24 | More by adamette
JamesS

Indiana

2.7/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a great dark black with a nice tan head and decent lacing. Does not have much of a scent, just a slight bit of roasted grains and a little hint of why it's an imperial. Taste is rather bland. There are no roated grain hints, just a slight chocolate sweetness and a hint of the alcohol. I think they canceled each other out and didn't leave much else. Goes down all right for an imperial.

11-12-2007 23:10:07 | More by JamesS
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.78/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured into Darkness snifter

Pours 1/4 finger of light tan head. Fades to a ring, no lace left. Color is pretty much black.

Aroma: Cocoa, cocoa powder, creamy milk, and some dark fruit flavors. Rich and malty.

Taste: Wow, the lactose really shows here. It sticks from the beginning to the end. There is some cocoa powder and a sticky molasses flavor in the middle, but the lactose is a bit overdone.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick, rich. Medium to full bodied with a bit higher of a carbonation level. Ends with tons of cocoa and milk flavors.

Overall, this beer was alright, but I have had much better. Too much lactose flavors. Not very drinkable because of this. I like some of the flavors, but wow this is drinking slow.

08-18-2010 02:34:01 | More by mothman
prototypic

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

2006

Appearance: It's a very dark, opaque brown. Head is a creamy, light brown color and about a finger deep. Retention was somewhat short and lacing was light overall.

Smell: Very light on the nose. If you stick with it, it does have a pretty good smell to it. It's just very faint. Toasted nut and chocolate are the primary scents. Coffee or espresso is secondary.

Taste: Initially it has a strong coffee-espresso taste that is way too acidic for me. It does have a wave of chocolaty malt flavors that follows providing a decent sweet taste to it. It's somewhat bland and leaves you with a bad aftertaste.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied. Carbonation is okay. ABV is low at 7% for a "big beer." The acidic taste really prevents it from being smooth and hinders drinkability severly. Overall, it's disappointing. I had high hopes for this beer, but can't help but feel let down.

11-01-2007 01:29:19 | More by prototypic
mcallister

2.85/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours what looks to me a dark pungent purple color. Mocha head of a good inch that fades slowly into oblivion leaving no lacing.

Where is the aroma? Poured in my tuliped gobles this nose should be jumping at me. Hints of watermelon? Odd. And burnt fruit.

Luckily this drinks better than it smells. Nice layers of chocolate but they lack distinct seperation. Gooey hot fudge mends with a bitter dark chocolate finish. Black currant dominates any fruit profile. Light carbonation and burnt flavors round things out.

Mouth is bitter bitter dark chocolate. Medium-full bodied.

03-21-2007 20:50:22 | More by mcallister
csmiley

2.85/5  rDev -20.4%

A - Dark, dark brown. No real head to speak of and what little bit of head showed up was gone within a minute.

S - The major player seems to be chocolate. Supporting cast is maple with roasted touch.

T - Once again, chocolate. Maybe some dark malt in the aftertaste. Chocolate seems to over power the other flavors.

M - The flavors of this beer make it kind of heavy. More caorbonation would have helped.

D - Chocolate was just too powerful in this beer. The lack of other strong flavors to balance out the sweetness made it somewhat difficult to finish a 22 ounce bottle in one sitting.

11-10-2007 06:00:16 | More by csmiley
donniecuffs

2.85/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured near-black, with zero head into a Guinness glass. Absolutely zero hint of hops in the nose or flavor. If you're a chocolate fanatic, the smell will be addictive, as there are no other discernible aromatic characteristics. The flavor is absurdly thick and chocolate for a 'beer'. I've had good chocolate stouts before, but the good ones were balanced with hints of hops and other flavors; this beer is one-dimensional. Think chocolate milkshake without the dairy. Too thick to drink more than one.

09-04-2009 16:45:45 | More by donniecuffs
bluHatter

2.85/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Dark deep light-eating black with a small 1-finger brown stouty head.

S: Milk chocolate... not much else.

T: Baking chocolate

M: Thick, kind of syrupy with just a little carbonation

O: A little heavy on the chocolate side of things for my taste, but if you're a chocolate lover, this is your stout.

02-13-2012 22:44:07 | More by bluHatter
buschbeer

2.88/5  rDev -19.6%

12oz bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It pours very dark brown with an inch of mocha colored head.

S - I have to search pretty hard to find any cocoa aroma. I do get just a hint.

T - The taste is some burnt malt, the faintest of cocoa, and kind of a soapy taste.

M - Medium

O - I hate to dog on Arcadia beers, but this beer is not good. I bought a four pack and wish I hadn't. I haven't been this disappointed since Mackinac Island Fudge stout. I was really expecting a good to great beer. Not so much.

03-10-2012 02:20:57 | More by buschbeer
Vancer

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

WHOOSH, of air upon opening. I have a feeling, and yeah, WAY over-carbed brew. An easy pour and it’s almost overflowing the snifter.

Once it settles down, a coal brown brew with a frothy tan head. Small aroma of chocolate and coffee. Transfers into the quaff, but the overcarbed fizziness interferes with the taste and enjoyment. This has potential, but needs better quality control at the brewery.

A "big beer" in their series that comes in at 7%? Wimpy,

09-24-2007 14:38:10 | More by Vancer
BACTAdam

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

Being on a real chocolate stout kick, I must say I was extremely disappointed in this beer said to be brewed with "chocolate, molasses and lactose". It smelled right but tasted very average. And where was the chocolate? The smell and first few sips had some notes of cocoa powder but that taste quickly disappeared and turned into a moderate imperial stout. Slight notes of molasses were overpowered by the taste of burnt. One would think that "lactose" would instill a certain smooth and creamy character to it but I surely must have missed it.

In all, I wouldn't say this was a terrible beer, just not what the name implies and as an imperial stout it's just average.

02-23-2008 21:56:52 | More by BACTAdam