Arcadia Cocoa Loco - Arcadia Brewing Company

good

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: schusterbauer on 02-23-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Cocoa Loco Alström Bros
Ratings: 587 | Reviews: 295
2.91/5  rDev -18.5%

12oz bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It pours very dark brown with an inch of mocha colored head.

S - I have to search pretty hard to find any cocoa aroma. I do get just a hint.

T - The taste is some burnt malt, the faintest of cocoa, and kind of a soapy taste.

M - Medium

O - I hate to dog on Arcadia beers, but this beer is not good. I bought a four pack and wish I hadn't. I haven't been this disappointed since Mackinac Island Fudge stout. I was really expecting a good to great beer. Not so much.

3.82/5  rDev +7%

Bottled 12/20/11. Poured into a DFH snifter.

Poured with less than a finger of creamy off-white head, and a deep brown-black body. Left dense lacing on the sides of the glass. Smelled of roasted malt, cocoa, and hints of banana - great aroma. Tasted similarly, with a strong chocolate malt body giving it a dominant bitterness, but lots of subtle sweetness through the finish. As it warmed up, I got a lot more toffee flavor, and the best comparison I could think of was honey and nutella on toast. Mouthfeel was fairly light in weight, with some carbonation and a slightly creamy consistency. It fit the beer well.

Overall, I really enjoyed this stout - especially the bitterness that prevailed throughout the taste. There were some other sweet flavors going on that kept it easy to drink, but it was very robust, which I tend to want in this style. Good beer!

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from bottle into Chimay goblet. I'll be honest, I'm excited for this one.

Appearance- Pours black but not pitch black. Exactly half a finger of tan head. Pretty thick and consistent lacing.

Smell- Molasses and brown sugar are right up front. A hint of chocolate and even some wheat or oats.

Taste- Much more delicious chocolate in the taste than in the nose. The molasses is still present. Definitely has a dairy taste to it too.

Mouthfeel- Great mouthfeel...This beer reminds me of drinking chocolate milk. Only this chocolate milk has 7% alcohol.

Overall- For the price, this beer is a rockstar. Let's be honest, this could not stand up to a barrel-aged stout or deep dark Russian, but for the style, it's spot on.

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

Enjoying with my good friend and fellow Beer advocate pschul4.

A: Has a whole 2 inches of head that lingers for a pretty long time. The color of the head is slightly tan while the beer sits in the glass and resembles a dark cola.

S: As one would expect: fairly chocolately. In addition to this I can somewhat pickup the scent of alcohol. However, I also pick up the faint smell of fruitiness. I don't know, maybe I'm all wet.

T: Pretty decent. Tastes like the bitterness that comes from dark chocolate. Not much else to say honestly.

Mouthfeel: Unimpressive. Pretty light and watery, not terrible, but definitely not very good. Quite a bit of carbonation which isn't very pleasant to me in a stout.

O: Pretty average. Nothing sticks out as that great with this beer. Even the taste which is supposed tp be quite chocolately strikes me as fairly unremarkable.

3.57/5  rDev 0%

Bottle #2 in our Fat Tuesday tasting between myself and areich6

A- I poured just a tiny part of the beer into my pint glass and the head exploded. I had litterally 5" of head in my glass, once it receeded I had plenty of lacing above the dark dark brew

S- Incredibly roasty, I sense some chocolate in the background but nothing mind blowingly chocolatey

T- So much roasty malt flavor. It's the roastiest beer I've ever tasted, also some background chocolate and coffee. Somewhat disappointing as it's labeled a triple cocoa stout

M- Good mouthfeel, lightly coating but the palate is always ready for the next taste

O- As I love chocolate stouts I wanted to love this beer but I cannot. Too much roast flavor and not enough chocolate

2.88/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Dark deep light-eating black with a small 1-finger brown stouty head.

S: Milk chocolate... not much else.

T: Baking chocolate

M: Thick, kind of syrupy with just a little carbonation

O: A little heavy on the chocolate side of things for my taste, but if you're a chocolate lover, this is your stout.

3.01/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Dark brown, an inch of tan head tat quickly thins out to just a coating.

S: Smells like Nesquik chocolate milk.

T: Hopped out Nesquik. Nothing more, nothing less. A little burnt chocolate.

M: Thin, watery. A little creaminess after lingering.

OVERALL: Not done very well, but not a beer that I would disregard. It's worth drinking, but I wouldn't do a six pack.

NOTE: Live review.

3.94/5  rDev +10.4%

Very quick head and no residual foam. Solid black in color. I can see a few bubbles poppin up on the edge of the glass though.

Sweet, powdered milk, poured into chocolate powdered milk, with maybe a little coffee. Add to that some strong, milky cream.

Taste starts roasty and chocolatey. Then moves to a more tart sugary roasted malt on the finish. I'm assuming that's the lactose. Dynamic and interesting. But perhaps not the most appealing in my book.

The mouthfell is grainy and tart. Sweet and tart in and out. Interesting.

3.82/5  rDev +7%

12oz bottle poured into a DFH signature glass.

A: Pours deep dark brown, not totally black. Nice light tan head. Lacing bits on the glass frame. Bottle conditioned?

S: Coffee and chocolate and dark roasted malt. It smells of sweet chocolate and I think that milk sugar comes through a bit.

T: Lots of coffee and sweet milk chocolate. The sip is actually really pleasing compared to others stouts that I had this night. The alcohol isn't there at all, and at 7% it isn't that much anyway. It's a nice coffee milk stout. Smooth.

M: Full bodied, but very silky smooth.

O: I thought this was a fairly good representation of the style. It is on the sweeter side though.

2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a SA perfect pint.

Pours pretty solid black with some reddish edging. There is less than an inch of tan head that sits briefly. A bit of quick dissipating lace.

The nose has a good amount of milk chocolate and lactose sugars. There is a sweet scent going on with a grainy scent behind it. Meh.

The taste is malty and has that bittersweet cocoa taste bit not in a rich and satisfying way. It tastes artificial and strange. The roasry malts kinda make up for it but not really.

The mouthfeel is too thin and holds like a light lager. This killed it for me.
Overall, not diggin' this brew. Tastes like an adjunct with artificial ou iy chocolate flavors. Drinkable and bearable, but certainly not worth the 11-12 dollar price tag. Pass

chocolate flavoring in it.

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

A: Dark brown/black with one-finger, tan head that lasted a couple of minutes. Okay lacing.

S: Milk chocolate, molasses, and coffee. Hint of alcohol.

T: Light sweetness and moderate bitterness. Bittersweet chocolate and really dark fruit. Has sort of an aged quality to it at first. Some alcoholic taste. Mostly roasted coffee in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Slightly dry and alcoholic.

O: The taste had wonderful depth to it , but this beer wasn't much to look at and the mouthfeel was a bit of a disappointment. Overall, I would call it a tie between this and Young's.

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

Dark brown color with some reddish hue around the edges when held up to the light. The head was dense and hung on for a while.

Coffee is the dominating smell, not chocolate. In fact, for a name like cocoa loco the chocolate is subdued in the scent. There's a charred smell in it, too.

Wow, the cocoa taste is overpowered by the char and coffee. There's a slight molasses presence, but the name is completely misleading. There's an off-putting cardboard aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is creamy, carbonation is moderate. It leaves my palate dry.

It's a good stout, but there's much better out there on a regular basis. I bought this looking for something sweet and chocolatey and that's not what I got at all.

4.47/5  rDev +25.2%

Cocoa Loco pours a black color, with a darker tan head. There is a nice chocolate smell. The taste is creamy, its malty, but has a nice blend of chocolate that doesn't overpower; there is almost like a chocolate milk flavor. Very enjoyable and easy to drink, no problem having a few of these. Overall a very nice stout, the chocolate doesn't over power, mixes very well.

3.96/5  rDev +10.9%

Bottle poured into a Young's nonic.

A- A 2-finger, dense, tan-brown head formed with a bit of a sloppy pour. The dark brown body nears black through the middle. Wonderful, sticky rings are left behind as the head settles into a half-finger throughout the sample.

S- I was met with a rush of chocolate milk at first. Hints of medium roast coffee. A little molasses, as noted on the label peeks through. Light, vanilla accents.

T- the chocolate flavor is of a darker! More bitter quality than the aroma would suggest. Subtle coffee notes. Lighter notes of maple syrup and vanilla, lighter still. Gets a little roast toward the end. Sweet start comes to a clean, dry finish. Very rich and complex.

M- So rich and creamy. Light carbonation, which I prefer in the style. Lightest, alcohol warmth.

O- Stradles the line between a traditional Americn stout and a double stout at 7% ABV. Kind of the best of both worlds, a nice sipper that doesn't knock you over. A lot going on with the chocolate, lactose, and molasses additions. Fortunately they compliment one another and nothing gets lost.

3.62/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: pitch black, no head, no lacing.

s: chocolate, roasted malt, molasses.

t: chocolate syrup, but in a bad way.

m: thick, flat and oily with a bad bitter finish.

o: not impressed at all. no dates on bottle and guy at store said they just got it in, so i assumed it was recent.

3.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up while traveling through the Great Lakes region in late May/early June 2011. The store was in Kalamazoo but its name currently escapes me. There appears to be some type of bottle dating system on the side of the label but there are no marks made to provide any help.

Pouring into a Goose Island pint glass. It's a deep dark brown with mahogany highlights. Medium tan, thin foam formed atop the beverage and left lacing behind. Partial retention.

The nose evokes a very dark chocolate with gingerbread cookie sweetness. Vanilla and pinch of cinnamon. Strongly brewed coffee approaching espresso.

Chocolate again in the flavor though not as dark as the nose promised. This is more of a sweeter, hot cocoa. Subdued charcoal. Sweetness on the backend. Earthy hops aren't taking center stage and the bitterness is moderate.

Medium-full in body with a moderate-low level of carbonation. Ever-so-slightly astringent.

The chocolate/cocoa character is well done but I'd like to see more complexity in the malt flavors to make this a better example of the style. None the less, a good brew and I'd not turn down another serving.

3.34/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Arcadia's Cocoa Loco last week for $2.49 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a couple new stouts to try so I thought I would give this chocolate stout a try and see how it goes. Bottled January 3rd 2011. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, not that exciting, but it's ok to look at, I like how they listed the ingredients that set this beer apart from a normal American Stout. It poured a very dark brown/ black color that had some ruby edges when held to the light. It also had two fingers worth of dark tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end that left some nice sheets of lacing.

S- The aroma is dominated by chocolate and coffee. The chocolate aromas show up the most and imparts some nice aromas of dark and milk chocolate. A pretty noticeable amount of coffee shows up with the chocolate to give it a good mixture of both aromas. I also picked up a little bit of roasted malts and a slight bit of dark fruits, no hops to be found in the aroma.

T- The taste starts off with a lot of coffee and a slight bit of highly roasted malts. After that comes some bittersweet chocolate and some cocoa powder along with a real slight amount of dark fruits and a little bit of that molasses sweetness. The finish has some coffee like bitterness to it leaving me with a very coffee like aftertaste.

M- Creamy, medium bodied, and it had a nice medium amount of carbonation. I wish this beer was a little thicker, it feels a little watery.

Overall I thought this was an Ok beer. With a name like Cocoa Loco I thought that chocolate was going to be the main flavor in this beer but to my surprise it was the coffee that stuck out the most, the mixture of both was pretty nice and to my liking, but I would have liked the chocolate to be in the forefront and the coffee in the background. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it just looked really nice in my imperial pint glass. What I liked least about this beer was the mouthfeel, the carbonation was spot on but it just seemed to be a little thin and watery for the style. There wasn't a whole lot of drinkability in this beer, I don't think I would want to drink more then one in a sitting. I may pick this up when I need a coffee and chocolate fix and there is no FBS around but if I had to choose between the two it would be FBS every time, the taste is a little similar but FBS does it much better. If your a big fan of coffee and chocolate forward beers this is worth a try, but don't expect it to blow your socks off. This is a descent offering from Arcadia but when I can get FBS for the same price, I'll go with the FBS every time.

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

A big thanks to TheGorgianKnot for this!

Pours near black, with some brownish tinges on the faintest of edges. Very creamy, milky looking medium mocha colored head. Lace was pleasant. A fine looking ale.

Plenty of dark roasted coffee shines through first and foremost. Bits of chocolate and a slight dark fruitiness round it out. Don't get too much more than that, but that's okay, because the coffee aroma is great.

Starts with a bit of bitter coffee on the front of the tongue, moving to some bittersweet cocoa and dark sweetness. There's a good deal of dark fruits on the finish, with a hint of coffee bitterness.

The mouthfeel is noticeably thin, albeit smooth and creamy. Just doesn't carry much substance.

Overall, looks, aroma and taste is all quite nice. A bit to thin for the style, but this is still something I would be happy having regularly.

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew pours out as a pretty nice looking deep brownish black color with a fluffy brown head on top. The aromas of sweet chocolate fill your nose right away with a little bit of hops in the far end of the aroma. The taste of the beer was pretty sweet with a light bitterness of dark chocolate in there. The other flavors of roasted malts come through after the swallow. The mouthfeel of the beer was medium to heavy with a smooth texture to it. OVerall I thought this wasn't a bad brew to try.

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Poured into my Jackie O's tulip from the bottle.

A - Pours fairly thin, with a very dark, cocoa brown color. Opaque with a half finger of tan head, which lingers for a minute before dissipating.

S - Smell is of thick cocoa powder, with a burnt malt backbone. Has an almost minty coolness to the nose. Not really sure how else to describe it. Kind of weird, but not unpleasant.

T - Aha, so that's the cooling smell! It's the alcohol which, even though it's only 7%, is not hidden well in this one. The initial taste is slightly cocoa with the burnt malts present in the nose almost overpowering. However, after the malts comes the rubbing alcohol-esque taste that is not very appetizing. As it warms, the alcoholic taste fades slightly to give a more milk chocolate character to the beer, and to the aftertaste. This is somewhat redeeming, but not enough to pull this beer all the way back above average.

M - Initially burns a bit around the mouth, but that sensation fades away, leaving a nice creamy feel in the finish. No burning on the way down, despite the alcoholic taste.

O - Overall a solid effort, minus the clear alcohol presence in the taste. One to pick up for sure, but not necessarily one to keep going back to.

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a dark brown, building to near-black that glistens with ruby red around the edges. a vigorous pour yields a tepid half-finger cocoa-colored head, and lacing is disappointingly minimal.

aroma of burnt. not sure what, but smells burnt. burnt coffee, cinnamon bark, a hint of cocoa, and some burnt raisins - like the ones that accidentally fall out of the oatmeal-raisin cookies and char to a crunchy crisp on the baking sheet. it smells like those. maybe it's the molasses, but I'm missing the cocoa punch.

taste follows the theme of the evening. a burnt coffee front, with some burnt molasses, finishing with a touch of toasted cocoa. woody and earthy. lacking the real molasses sweetness I was looking for... almost an astringent roasty-saltiness. the lactose takes a back seat, hiding behind the roast and the hop notes. funky. not bad. but funky.

mouth is a bit thin for the style, and certainly too thin to adequately carry the robust dark fruit and char flavors bottled up in here. ample carbonation is almost out of place.

all in all, I had high hopes, and this didn't really come close. not really together like I had hoped. not as full or rich as I wanted. but the flavors are unfortunately there, begging for a thick, rich, luscious mouthfeel that it just kind of falls flat, like a helium balloon a few days past its prime.

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a fizzy darker colored 1/2 finger head that fades semi quickly over pitch black beer.

Nose is dark and malty, dark malts, roasted malts, chocolate malts, some cocoa nib aromas, dark chocolate and creamy milk chocolate, roasted malts bring hints of coffee and mocha, caramel, vanilla, hints of molasses.

Taste starts with dark malts again, this time a bit chalky at first, then some powdered chocolate, a bit of creamy chocolate milk that's watered down, some roasted malts with coffee and mocha, bit of vanilla and caramel, some molasses. Some bitterness as well with just a hint of earthy hops but more on the charred malt bitterness but not very burnt, but there is just a hint of briny taste. Overall the dark malts are dominant and strong, but the overall body and meat of the beer seem to be missing like it's almost watered down but not really. Maybe some oats would have helped. Finishes a bit sticky and somewhat bitter, dark malts lingering with charred malt flavors, syrups, molasses, and hint of baker's chocolate.

Mouth is med bodied and a bit creamy but feels that it should be bigger, with decent carb and no real booze kick.

Overall not bad, nice malt flavors, doesn't get too burnt or briny but the whole mouth and body just feel like it's missing something.

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle to pint glass 8/26/2011.

A: Black. Minimal head, and no lacing. Beer almost has the appearance of root beer. Not as 'thick' as i would expect a stout to appear.

S: Coffee. A strange sweetness at the end. Not quite chocolate sweet, but something else.

T: Coffee in the front, followed by a overally roasted 'burnt' taste and then finally that strange sweetness that came through in the smell.

M: As stated in the appearance, this stout is a little thin. Not unpleasant, but completely unexpected for this type of beer.

O: The mouthfeel and sweetness really dominated this beer for me. Wanted to really love this beer, but it was a bit 'off'. Full disclosure, i drank this the same evening as i enjoyed a Founder's Breakfast Stout so my scores may be skewed slightly lower. Hard to compare to that one...

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Coffee like brown, has a certain shine to it, almost no head and thin lacing.

S: Strong notes of roasted cocoa nibs and powder. Very roasty. A lot of coffee.

T: For a "crazy" chocolate stout, it's full of coffee. Super roasty qualities, some cocoa pebble sweetness. Frankly, it tastes like burnt coffee most of all. One of the most burnt tasting beers I've had.

M: The body is medium, carbonation is decent, but the burnt characteristic carries over here.

O/D: The chocolate isn't as strong as the coffee, but even that factor keeps it at a slightly above average stout.

2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

Bottle picked up at Big Ten party store.

Pours a nice dark, not much head something about it looks troublesome.

Smell is strongly chocolate and cream, but it's also got a Nestle-Qwik smell I can't really shake.

Similar results on the taste, somehow it comes off as slightly false and cloying. Plenty of chocolate though. It has a thick consistency, normally I like it, but here it's more of a clogging sensation.

I don't know, this is a somewhat unusual beer what with the lactose, but it wasn't a beer I really got into. I may give it another try.

Arcadia Cocoa Loco from Arcadia Brewing Company