1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arcadia Cocoa Loco - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Cocoa LocoArcadia Cocoa Loco

good

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: schusterbauer on 02-23-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Cocoa Loco Alström Bros
Ratings: 491 | Reviews: 283 | Show All Ratings:
BeerBuckeye

A- Pours a darkish brown with 1 finger, off-white head

S- Smells of dark fruits, cocoa, toffee, and raisins. Good smell.

T- Taste provides bitter coffee, cocoa, and some dark fruity sweetness. A touch of lactose, but it's muted.

M- Very smooth, well carbonated

Overall- Good brew here, very mocha like. Tasty bl

10-05-2012 01:56:22 | More by BeerBuckeye
MrBluto

4.33/5  rDev +20.9%

A: Pours dark,dark brown with a smallish, light brown head that dissipated somewhat quickly. Would've liked a little more head.

S: Nice chocolate and molasses tones, especially as the beer warmed up a little.

T: Well balanced with definite chocolate and roasted malt flavors. The molasses flavor was subtle, and considering the label says it was brewed with molasses, it would've nice to have this flavor to be a bit more overt. Overall, however, the flavor was very nice. The beer finishes slightly bitter with sweet malt overtones. Lovely.

M: Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. I would have liked a bit more body, but for a beer of this style, it wasn't bad. Again, it improved as it warmed up (I probably had it too cold).

D: Very drinkable. Not the best stout I've had, but overall it was very enjoyable. I would definitely drink again!

10-02-2012 01:22:39 | More by MrBluto
womencantsail

3.58/5  rDev 0%

Pours dark brown in color with a khaki head. Maybe a touch watery on the nose, but otherwise nice roast and chocolate aromas. A hint of coffee and some molasses for sweetness. The flavor isn’t bad, but similarly watery. Cocoa/chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt make up most of the substance. A slight sweetness of toffee and molasses, too. Not bad, but not great either.

07-26-2012 17:25:29 | More by womencantsail
GR_Rick

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured in June 2012 from a bottle.

A: Nice looking beer, typical of the style. Dark with a little head if I remember correctly (reviewing from notes and I wasn't overly "detailed")

S: Smelled nice and complex. Chocolate and sweetness.

T: Taste had a nice complexity and good balance. Chocolate, roast, and some sweetness. Sweeter than I expected. A strange bitterness that I didn't particularly enjoy toward the finish.

M: A bit too carbonated for my liking, which was ultimately the demise of this beer for me. Less carbonation and it would've been very nice.

O: A decent beer. One I'd gladly drink again, but won't go seeking out.

07-14-2012 00:55:25 | More by GR_Rick
jeremy13586

3.88/5  rDev +8.4%

Jet black color. Poured a giant and fluffy light brown head. It took about 10 minutes to pour because of the head constantly foaming up. It left behind tons of sticky lacing. Looks awesome.

Roasted chocolate, coffee, cocoa. They were all there, but one didn't really stand out from the other.

Roasted malt and a lactose sweetness. Cocoa and coffee. There is a bitternes that lingers on for a bit, but finishes pretty clean.

Medium light body. The brew seemed a bit over-carbonated. There was a bit of an acidity and it was a little bit messy throughout the sip, but the clean finish fixed it.

An awesome looking stout that was very drinkable. The flavors were muddied up at times, but the clean and sweeter finish were the highlights of the beer.

07-09-2012 18:11:10 | More by jeremy13586
Jesse13713

4.3/5  rDev +20.1%

This nice lady on the bottle art drew me to this brew. Poured into a Winking Lizard pilsner glass.

Appearance - Two fingers of luscious milkshake-esque head. The head is creamy like a milky rootbeer float. Appears very sweet. Delicious, cascading lacing. The beer is pitch black and completely opaque. Dark as night with brown hues at the surface.

Smell - Exceptionally strong cocoa in the aroma. The lactose is very apparent - the smell of chocolate milk hits hard. Heavily roasted chocolate that is sweet, rather than bitter.

Taste - A very, very impressive stout. A toothsome roasted waterfall coats the palate. Tastes of sweet milk chocolate. There is no bitterness in the taste, which is good for this beer. Honey, or molasses as the bottle states, slides over the tongue. A light alcohol burn throughout the taste that is not aggressive. A bit of dry cocoa that adds to the beers complexity.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - Sweet and smooth throughout the taste. A bit dry on the finish. Medium-bodied and a pleasant, easily drinkable sipper.

06-30-2012 03:54:48 | More by Jesse13713
BlackBelt5112203

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev +13.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L - Deep brown color with a 1-finger tan bubbly head. Pretty good retention but not much lacing. Lots of bubbles coming to the surface.

S - Definitely sweet with chocolate, lactose, and molasses aromas. There’s maybe a slight undertone of roasted, coffee-like malt.

T - Follows the nose to a tee. Again, very sweet but not sickeningly or artificially sweet. Definite chocolate, molasses, and lactose presence. Also again, there’s a subtle undertone of roasted coffee bitterness. Very, very subtle. All the flavor is here mostly sweet.

F - Light-to-medium-bodied with lots of carbonation, a creamy but crisp mouthfeel, and a sweet and slightly dry finish. Chocolate and lactose sweetness lingers for a little bit.

O - I’m not sure why everyone is hating on this beer so much. I thought it was a very tasty stout. Yes, it’s mostly all the way over on the sweet rather than bitter side of the spectrum, but not artificially so. I think the lactose blends well with the molasses and chocolate, which I definitely thought had a strong presence here. I thought this was a tasty beer, and I’ll look for more from Arcadia in the future.

06-25-2012 04:26:12 | More by BlackBelt5112203
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

12 Oz poured into a tulip glass

This beer pours pitch black with a rather modest one finger of a brown head, not a whole lot of retention. The smell is quite nice on this one, some cocoa and coffee as well as some roastiness, the smell is this beers best quality. The taste of this beer is chocolate, coffee and a nice complex malt variety. I do think this beer could have lost the lactose sugar and been fine because its a little too bitter sweet. Overall this is a solid stout, not as heavy on the chocolate as I would have liked but a pretty solid offering from Arcadia.

04-29-2012 22:21:48 | More by TwelveOunces
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. It is dark brown in color, allows some light to pass through, and produces a nice 2-finger head that dissipates pretty quickly. The nose is pretty nice, but a bit faint and subdued. It has some nice hints of cream, toasted malt, licorice, and chocolate.

The beer has a full body, medium-firm mouthfeel, and a nice malt-forward flavor profile. I get a nice combination of chocolate and milk sugar in the front of my palate, then a bit of toasted malt starts to dry things up a bit. Right around mid-palate, you start to get an unusual smoke/burnt fruit/cherry flavor that lingers on the finish. I'm not too crazy about it.

I wasn't expecting much from this beer. I picked up a single simply because the description sounded interesting. It's a nice beer, but I probably won't buy it again. I have found better milk/sweet stouts than this.

04-17-2012 23:40:33 | More by deadonhisfeet
elNopalero

4.05/5  rDev +13.1%

This stout pours a dark, dark black-brown with a thick creamy head of tightly laced bubbles.

I get a stout’s nose full of roast and a bit of the lactic stout aroma. If I was to map the flavor out I’d say that there’s a bit of a roast up front, followed by a noticeable bitterness and a lactic sting, before finishing sweet and malty, yet dry. Flavor coats the mouth and lingers, in a way that I find enjoyable. A big, pleasing, dessert brew that I’d gladly try again if given the chance.

03-27-2012 05:12:19 | More by elNopalero
stephadelphia

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured a bottle into an oversized pint glass.

A - This beer is gorgeous. It's pitch black, and has a fair amount of creamy, tan head that laces the glass after about a minute or two. This is exactly the way you want a beer like this to look.

S - You can smell the lactose and the molasses right away, and the sweetness is the biggest part about it all, naturally. The chocolate is not immediate at your nose, but is subtly there underneath the other layers.

T - I am really disappointed to say that this beer fell flat as soon as I took a sip. I had such high hopes after looking at it post-pour, but it was not impressive. I am a large fan of all sorts of stouts; this is not one I'd buy again. I definitely taste the molasses and lactose, but not so much the chocolate. Disappointing.

M - The beer was smooth, and very lightly carbonated. The mouthfeel, like the appearance, was up to par & exactly what I expected.

O - I'm glad I bought only one bottle and not a 6-pack or case. What this beer has in look & feel, it lacks in taste. Wish there were more chocolate notes to this beer, especially if it's labeled as a chocolate stout. It's more similar to a milk stout than anything else, but a very lightly flavored one at that.

03-24-2012 01:13:10 | More by stephadelphia
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

A. Nigh black, red around the fringes like most stouts... Two fingers of sandy tan colored froth that lasted for several minutes and left behind impressive loops of lacing. Very sexy in appearance.

S. Very strong cocoa powder aroma paired with roasted malt and a hint of vanilla bean as well.

T. Some black coffee gets mixed in with my baking chocolate but most of the bittering is still coming from that raw cocoa powder.

M. Somewhat thin and watery, a bit too bubbly as well. Carbonation was distractingly high.

03-11-2012 02:37:05 | More by WastingFreetime
buschbeer

2.88/5  rDev -19.6%

12oz bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It pours very dark brown with an inch of mocha colored head.

S - I have to search pretty hard to find any cocoa aroma. I do get just a hint.

T - The taste is some burnt malt, the faintest of cocoa, and kind of a soapy taste.

M - Medium

O - I hate to dog on Arcadia beers, but this beer is not good. I bought a four pack and wish I hadn't. I haven't been this disappointed since Mackinac Island Fudge stout. I was really expecting a good to great beer. Not so much.

03-10-2012 02:20:57 | More by buschbeer
shangwang

3.83/5  rDev +7%

Bottled 12/20/11. Poured into a DFH snifter.

Poured with less than a finger of creamy off-white head, and a deep brown-black body. Left dense lacing on the sides of the glass. Smelled of roasted malt, cocoa, and hints of banana - great aroma. Tasted similarly, with a strong chocolate malt body giving it a dominant bitterness, but lots of subtle sweetness through the finish. As it warmed up, I got a lot more toffee flavor, and the best comparison I could think of was honey and nutella on toast. Mouthfeel was fairly light in weight, with some carbonation and a slightly creamy consistency. It fit the beer well.

Overall, I really enjoyed this stout - especially the bitterness that prevailed throughout the taste. There were some other sweet flavors going on that kept it easy to drink, but it was very robust, which I tend to want in this style. Good beer!

03-04-2012 19:38:12 | More by shangwang
frenchblood21

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from bottle into Chimay goblet. I'll be honest, I'm excited for this one.

Appearance- Pours black but not pitch black. Exactly half a finger of tan head. Pretty thick and consistent lacing.

Smell- Molasses and brown sugar are right up front. A hint of chocolate and even some wheat or oats.

Taste- Much more delicious chocolate in the taste than in the nose. The molasses is still present. Definitely has a dairy taste to it too.

Mouthfeel- Great mouthfeel...This beer reminds me of drinking chocolate milk. Only this chocolate milk has 7% alcohol.

Overall- For the price, this beer is a rockstar. Let's be honest, this could not stand up to a barrel-aged stout or deep dark Russian, but for the style, it's spot on.

02-29-2012 01:53:14 | More by frenchblood21
areich6

3.15/5  rDev -12%

Enjoying with my good friend and fellow Beer advocate pschul4.

A: Has a whole 2 inches of head that lingers for a pretty long time. The color of the head is slightly tan while the beer sits in the glass and resembles a dark cola.

S: As one would expect: fairly chocolately. In addition to this I can somewhat pickup the scent of alcohol. However, I also pick up the faint smell of fruitiness. I don't know, maybe I'm all wet.

T: Pretty decent. Tastes like the bitterness that comes from dark chocolate. Not much else to say honestly.

Mouthfeel: Unimpressive. Pretty light and watery, not terrible, but definitely not very good. Quite a bit of carbonation which isn't very pleasant to me in a stout.

O: Pretty average. Nothing sticks out as that great with this beer. Even the taste which is supposed tp be quite chocolately strikes me as fairly unremarkable.

02-22-2012 04:16:02 | More by areich6
pschul4

3.55/5  rDev -0.8%

Bottle #2 in our Fat Tuesday tasting between myself and areich6

A- I poured just a tiny part of the beer into my pint glass and the head exploded. I had litterally 5" of head in my glass, once it receeded I had plenty of lacing above the dark dark brew

S- Incredibly roasty, I sense some chocolate in the background but nothing mind blowingly chocolatey

T- So much roasty malt flavor. It's the roastiest beer I've ever tasted, also some background chocolate and coffee. Somewhat disappointing as it's labeled a triple cocoa stout

M- Good mouthfeel, lightly coating but the palate is always ready for the next taste

O- As I love chocolate stouts I wanted to love this beer but I cannot. Too much roast flavor and not enough chocolate

02-22-2012 04:09:56 | More by pschul4
bluHatter

2.85/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Dark deep light-eating black with a small 1-finger brown stouty head.

S: Milk chocolate... not much else.

T: Baking chocolate

M: Thick, kind of syrupy with just a little carbonation

O: A little heavy on the chocolate side of things for my taste, but if you're a chocolate lover, this is your stout.

02-13-2012 22:44:07 | More by bluHatter
RobertColianni

A: Dark brown, an inch of tan head tat quickly thins out to just a coating.

S: Smells like Nesquik chocolate milk.

T: Hopped out Nesquik. Nothing more, nothing less. A little burnt chocolate.

M: Thin, watery. A little creaminess after lingering.

OVERALL: Not done very well, but not a beer that I would disregard. It's worth drinking, but I wouldn't do a six pack.

NOTE: Live review.

02-09-2012 06:21:53 | More by RobertColianni
scruffwhor

3.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Very quick head and no residual foam. Solid black in color. I can see a few bubbles poppin up on the edge of the glass though.

Sweet, powdered milk, poured into chocolate powdered milk, with maybe a little coffee. Add to that some strong, milky cream.

Taste starts roasty and chocolatey. Then moves to a more tart sugary roasted malt on the finish. I'm assuming that's the lactose. Dynamic and interesting. But perhaps not the most appealing in my book.

The mouthfell is grainy and tart. Sweet and tart in and out. Interesting.

02-04-2012 05:05:18 | More by scruffwhor
inlimbo77

Delaware

3.83/5  rDev +7%

12oz bottle poured into a DFH signature glass.

A: Pours deep dark brown, not totally black. Nice light tan head. Lacing bits on the glass frame. Bottle conditioned?

S: Coffee and chocolate and dark roasted malt. It smells of sweet chocolate and I think that milk sugar comes through a bit.

T: Lots of coffee and sweet milk chocolate. The sip is actually really pleasing compared to others stouts that I had this night. The alcohol isn't there at all, and at 7% it isn't that much anyway. It's a nice coffee milk stout. Smooth.

M: Full bodied, but very silky smooth.

O: I thought this was a fairly good representation of the style. It is on the sweeter side though.

02-02-2012 14:47:44 | More by inlimbo77
ChugginOil

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured into a SA perfect pint.

Pours pretty solid black with some reddish edging. There is less than an inch of tan head that sits briefly. A bit of quick dissipating lace.

The nose has a good amount of milk chocolate and lactose sugars. There is a sweet scent going on with a grainy scent behind it. Meh.

The taste is malty and has that bittersweet cocoa taste bit not in a rich and satisfying way. It tastes artificial and strange. The roasry malts kinda make up for it but not really.

The mouthfeel is too thin and holds like a light lager. This killed it for me.
Overall, not diggin' this brew. Tastes like an adjunct with artificial ou iy chocolate flavors. Drinkable and bearable, but certainly not worth the 11-12 dollar price tag. Pass

chocolate flavoring in it.

01-15-2012 03:46:26 | More by ChugginOil
SolipsismalCat

3.9/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

A: Dark brown/black with one-finger, tan head that lasted a couple of minutes. Okay lacing.

S: Milk chocolate, molasses, and coffee. Hint of alcohol.

T: Light sweetness and moderate bitterness. Bittersweet chocolate and really dark fruit. Has sort of an aged quality to it at first. Some alcoholic taste. Mostly roasted coffee in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Slightly dry and alcoholic.

O: The taste had wonderful depth to it , but this beer wasn't much to look at and the mouthfeel was a bit of a disappointment. Overall, I would call it a tie between this and Young's.

01-10-2012 04:25:11 | More by SolipsismalCat
Vonerichs

3.58/5  rDev 0%

Dark brown color with some reddish hue around the edges when held up to the light. The head was dense and hung on for a while.

Coffee is the dominating smell, not chocolate. In fact, for a name like cocoa loco the chocolate is subdued in the scent. There's a charred smell in it, too.

Wow, the cocoa taste is overpowered by the char and coffee. There's a slight molasses presence, but the name is completely misleading. There's an off-putting cardboard aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is creamy, carbonation is moderate. It leaves my palate dry.

It's a good stout, but there's much better out there on a regular basis. I bought this looking for something sweet and chocolatey and that's not what I got at all.

01-09-2012 02:18:12 | More by Vonerichs
vette2006c5r

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

Cocoa Loco pours a black color, with a darker tan head. There is a nice chocolate smell. The taste is creamy, its malty, but has a nice blend of chocolate that doesn't overpower; there is almost like a chocolate milk flavor. Very enjoyable and easy to drink, no problem having a few of these. Overall a very nice stout, the chocolate doesn't over power, mixes very well.

01-07-2012 03:15:48 | More by vette2006c5r