Arcadia Cocoa Loco - Arcadia Brewing Company

good

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: schusterbauer on 02-23-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Cocoa Loco Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +5%

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

This stout pours a dark, dark black-brown with a thick creamy head of tightly laced bubbles.

I get a stout’s nose full of roast and a bit of the lactic stout aroma. If I was to map the flavor out I’d say that there’s a bit of a roast up front, followed by a noticeable bitterness and a lactic sting, before finishing sweet and malty, yet dry. Flavor coats the mouth and lingers, in a way that I find enjoyable. A big, pleasing, dessert brew that I’d gladly try again if given the chance.

3.25/5  rDev -9%

2.75/5  rDev -23%

3.39/5  rDev -5%

Poured a bottle into an oversized pint glass.

A - This beer is gorgeous. It's pitch black, and has a fair amount of creamy, tan head that laces the glass after about a minute or two. This is exactly the way you want a beer like this to look.

S - You can smell the lactose and the molasses right away, and the sweetness is the biggest part about it all, naturally. The chocolate is not immediate at your nose, but is subtly there underneath the other layers.

T - I am really disappointed to say that this beer fell flat as soon as I took a sip. I had such high hopes after looking at it post-pour, but it was not impressive. I am a large fan of all sorts of stouts; this is not one I'd buy again. I definitely taste the molasses and lactose, but not so much the chocolate. Disappointing.

M - The beer was smooth, and very lightly carbonated. The mouthfeel, like the appearance, was up to par & exactly what I expected.

O - I'm glad I bought only one bottle and not a 6-pack or case. What this beer has in look & feel, it lacks in taste. Wish there were more chocolate notes to this beer, especially if it's labeled as a chocolate stout. It's more similar to a milk stout than anything else, but a very lightly flavored one at that.

3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

A. Nigh black, red around the fringes like most stouts... Two fingers of sandy tan colored froth that lasted for several minutes and left behind impressive loops of lacing. Very sexy in appearance.

S. Very strong cocoa powder aroma paired with roasted malt and a hint of vanilla bean as well.

T. Some black coffee gets mixed in with my baking chocolate but most of the bittering is still coming from that raw cocoa powder.

M. Somewhat thin and watery, a bit too bubbly as well. Carbonation was distractingly high.

2.91/5  rDev -18.5%

12oz bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It pours very dark brown with an inch of mocha colored head.

S - I have to search pretty hard to find any cocoa aroma. I do get just a hint.

T - The taste is some burnt malt, the faintest of cocoa, and kind of a soapy taste.

M - Medium

O - I hate to dog on Arcadia beers, but this beer is not good. I bought a four pack and wish I hadn't. I haven't been this disappointed since Mackinac Island Fudge stout. I was really expecting a good to great beer. Not so much.

3.82/5  rDev +7%

Bottled 12/20/11. Poured into a DFH snifter.

Poured with less than a finger of creamy off-white head, and a deep brown-black body. Left dense lacing on the sides of the glass. Smelled of roasted malt, cocoa, and hints of banana - great aroma. Tasted similarly, with a strong chocolate malt body giving it a dominant bitterness, but lots of subtle sweetness through the finish. As it warmed up, I got a lot more toffee flavor, and the best comparison I could think of was honey and nutella on toast. Mouthfeel was fairly light in weight, with some carbonation and a slightly creamy consistency. It fit the beer well.

Overall, I really enjoyed this stout - especially the bitterness that prevailed throughout the taste. There were some other sweet flavors going on that kept it easy to drink, but it was very robust, which I tend to want in this style. Good beer!

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from bottle into Chimay goblet. I'll be honest, I'm excited for this one.

Appearance- Pours black but not pitch black. Exactly half a finger of tan head. Pretty thick and consistent lacing.

Smell- Molasses and brown sugar are right up front. A hint of chocolate and even some wheat or oats.

Taste- Much more delicious chocolate in the taste than in the nose. The molasses is still present. Definitely has a dairy taste to it too.

Mouthfeel- Great mouthfeel...This beer reminds me of drinking chocolate milk. Only this chocolate milk has 7% alcohol.

Overall- For the price, this beer is a rockstar. Let's be honest, this could not stand up to a barrel-aged stout or deep dark Russian, but for the style, it's spot on.

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

Enjoying with my good friend and fellow Beer advocate pschul4.

A: Has a whole 2 inches of head that lingers for a pretty long time. The color of the head is slightly tan while the beer sits in the glass and resembles a dark cola.

S: As one would expect: fairly chocolately. In addition to this I can somewhat pickup the scent of alcohol. However, I also pick up the faint smell of fruitiness. I don't know, maybe I'm all wet.

T: Pretty decent. Tastes like the bitterness that comes from dark chocolate. Not much else to say honestly.

Mouthfeel: Unimpressive. Pretty light and watery, not terrible, but definitely not very good. Quite a bit of carbonation which isn't very pleasant to me in a stout.

O: Pretty average. Nothing sticks out as that great with this beer. Even the taste which is supposed tp be quite chocolately strikes me as fairly unremarkable.

3.57/5  rDev 0%

Bottle #2 in our Fat Tuesday tasting between myself and areich6

A- I poured just a tiny part of the beer into my pint glass and the head exploded. I had litterally 5" of head in my glass, once it receeded I had plenty of lacing above the dark dark brew

S- Incredibly roasty, I sense some chocolate in the background but nothing mind blowingly chocolatey

T- So much roasty malt flavor. It's the roastiest beer I've ever tasted, also some background chocolate and coffee. Somewhat disappointing as it's labeled a triple cocoa stout

M- Good mouthfeel, lightly coating but the palate is always ready for the next taste

O- As I love chocolate stouts I wanted to love this beer but I cannot. Too much roast flavor and not enough chocolate

2.88/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Dark deep light-eating black with a small 1-finger brown stouty head.

S: Milk chocolate... not much else.

T: Baking chocolate

M: Thick, kind of syrupy with just a little carbonation

O: A little heavy on the chocolate side of things for my taste, but if you're a chocolate lover, this is your stout.

3.01/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Dark brown, an inch of tan head tat quickly thins out to just a coating.

S: Smells like Nesquik chocolate milk.

T: Hopped out Nesquik. Nothing more, nothing less. A little burnt chocolate.

M: Thin, watery. A little creaminess after lingering.

OVERALL: Not done very well, but not a beer that I would disregard. It's worth drinking, but I wouldn't do a six pack.

NOTE: Live review.

3.94/5  rDev +10.4%

Very quick head and no residual foam. Solid black in color. I can see a few bubbles poppin up on the edge of the glass though.

Sweet, powdered milk, poured into chocolate powdered milk, with maybe a little coffee. Add to that some strong, milky cream.

Taste starts roasty and chocolatey. Then moves to a more tart sugary roasted malt on the finish. I'm assuming that's the lactose. Dynamic and interesting. But perhaps not the most appealing in my book.

The mouthfell is grainy and tart. Sweet and tart in and out. Interesting.

3.82/5  rDev +7%

12oz bottle poured into a DFH signature glass.

A: Pours deep dark brown, not totally black. Nice light tan head. Lacing bits on the glass frame. Bottle conditioned?

S: Coffee and chocolate and dark roasted malt. It smells of sweet chocolate and I think that milk sugar comes through a bit.

T: Lots of coffee and sweet milk chocolate. The sip is actually really pleasing compared to others stouts that I had this night. The alcohol isn't there at all, and at 7% it isn't that much anyway. It's a nice coffee milk stout. Smooth.

M: Full bodied, but very silky smooth.

O: I thought this was a fairly good representation of the style. It is on the sweeter side though.

Arcadia Cocoa Loco from Arcadia Brewing Company