Arcadia Jaw-Jacker - Arcadia Brewing Company

awful

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

This is an ale brewed with spices, not brewed with pumpkin.

(Beer added by: nortmand on 09-12-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Jaw-Jacker Alström Bros

Fucking horrible. Undrinkable

1.25/5  rDev -61.7%

1.25/5  rDev -61.7%

12 oz. Bottle

A: Amber color with large amount of head; lots of carbonation rising, the carbonation is ridiculous

S: Spice smells are prominent, I can't detect a specific spice, but it's a little overly strong.

T: This is awful, the spices all battle to dominate the beer and there is no coherence or unity. This beer has an identity crisis and can't choose what it wants to taste like. The spices are harsh and overwhelming. Awful!

M/D: It's a bad beer with bad mouthfeel, so how could it be drinkable?

Two thumbs down.

1.3/5  rDev -60.1%

pours a tarnished brassy hue with almost no head, thin off colored lace. Smells purely of pumpkin. Not in a great way though, kind of like in a smelling cooked squash kind of way.

Thin and almost flavorless. faintly sweet with barely noticeable earthy hop presence. Close to dead carbonation with a slight syrupyness. Finishes with a hint of allspice and cinnamon. Otherwise a palate cleanser. Drinks like water. Yet another disappointing pumpkin beer.

1.32/5  rDev -59.5%

1.4/5  rDev -57.1%

A- Uhh... this beer has so much carbonation it isn't funny. I didn't even pour it heavily and it generated about four and a half fingers of head. Huge, thick, heavy lacing developed on this never-ending cap. Its unfortunate. This is one of the few times I've felt like I want less head in my beer.

The ruby body tapered down to a orange and yellow mixture. Tons of bubble streams from the bottom.

S- Heavily spiced. Outrageous amounts. Astringent, metallic, odors. The cinnamon is there as well as the allspice, but they are awful to detect. It feels as if there are acidic notes burning at my nostrils.

T- These flavors caused me to go into convulsions. I understand now why this beer is called Jaw-Jacker. It caused my jaw to lock up in pain. That same astringency found in the nose, is transferred to the taste buds. Tons of overspiced cinnamon and allspice coming through, malty finish with a nice baked bread flavor. However, it doesn't make up for the terrifying opening every time.

M- Thin, lots of carbonation, watery body. Mild lingering flavors.

D- Never again. I would give this to friends as a joke beer at best. It is probably the worst experience I've had with beer as of yet.

1.52/5  rDev -53.4%

1.68/5  rDev -48.5%

Poured to a small half inch head. Head was gone in no time. Ale itself was brown in color. No lacing at all. Had a strong cinnamon smell also smelled of nutmeg. Also notes of fruit, maybe apple. Didnt taste as strong as it smelled. I thought that it actually didnt have a lot of flavor going on. Maybe a slightly sweet apple, and hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. Felt okay in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was a little excessive. I wont buy again. There was a lack in flavor. Almost like carbonated water.

1.7/5  rDev -47.9%

The best thing about this beer is that it looks like apple cider. And the bottle has some awesome artwork. The smell, oddly similar to over-ripe bananas, is off-putting. The flavor is lacking. There’s a harsh bite to it (someone called it sour and I agree), which makes it difficult to enjoy.

1.75/5  rDev -46.3%

1.75/5  rDev -46.3%

1.78/5  rDev -45.4%

Why would anyone want to drink a pumpkin beer that doesn't have any pumpkin in it? I don't often feel moved to review beers that really let me down but I couldn't resist digging into this fraud.

A: Pours a hazy orange color that doesn't have much character to it. Sort of sits in the glass with a whirlpool of yeast(?) that eventually settles. It strikes me as a poorly filtered beer more than anything, and that shows itself later on in the mouthfeel category.

S: Pumpkin pie spices on overdrive. The only thing missing from this is actual pumpkin aroma. It sort of smells like, if you've mixed allspice and nutmeg and cinnamon in a small cup being prepared to be plopped into a batter, and just took a big sniff of that spice cup... it's not the most appetizing thing in the world. Just a big ball of spice on the nose. Oof. I've had overspiced pumpkin ales (Southampton, I'm looking at you!) before, but never have smelled anything like this.

T: All spice and, well... what is this? Sort of has a buttery character much like a weak offering in the Oktoberfest arena, sort of like an autumn-beer Frankenstein gone wrong. As a huge lover of pumpkin beers, and frankly, a pumpkin beer apologist - I'm downright insulted by what I'm drinking. There's no pumpkin here! This is a weak, weak beer with a heavy dose of spices. If you like pumpkin pie spices, the first sip might fool you, but by the end of the experience...

M: You're overwhelmed by spice. The cinnamon is particularly overdone. I finished this beer feeling thirsty, almost as if I'd put a teaspoon of cinnamon in my mouth and let it absorb all of my saliva.

D: An extremely unpleasant experience, and drinking the entire bottle is a chore. A beer this bad deserves a 1/5 in the drinkability category, because in such splendid company as Pumking, Night Owl, Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout... why bother with this?

1.8/5  rDev -44.8%

Worst pumpkin I have had this year!

A- Looked okay. Not much of a head, light gold in color in a dark venue.

S- Light pumpkin smell--not overbearing.

T - All of the usual pumpkin pie spicing BUT this stuff tasted more like pumpkin pie hand soap than beer! Relatively offensive chemical aftertaste, very week beer taste!

M -The soapy taste turned me off--hope it wasn't a poorly washed glass.

O - I recommend spending your next $5 elsewhere!

1.8/5  rDev -44.8%

A - This pours a hazy. orange coppery color. There is a one finger, tan head that has decent retention. There is no lacing at all and there is some loose sediment at the bottom of my glass.

S - Oh God, this is awful. There is a mix between plastic and cinnamon. It's very chemically smelling, and what's even worse is that it's really, really pungent. Not sure what's going on here but it's really bad for sure.

T - They really over did the spices here. This beer has no balance at all. It's all about strong cinnamon taste. It reminds me of drinking cold apple cinnamon tea. There is no pumpkin. Arcadia really dropped the ball on this one considering it is important to have good balance in a spiced or pumpkin beer.

M - Surprisingly the mouthfeel isn't bad. There is a good amount of carbonation that gives it a nice, light mouthfeel

D - The smell and taste kill it. I'm not sure I'm going to able to finish and it's not sitting well with my stomach at all. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a bad batch.

1.8/5  rDev -44.8%

12oz bottle dated 8/25/11 into a bell pint.

Picked this up at a local shop while I was on a hunt for some pumpkin ales. I noticed this was an Arcadia brew (love Cereal Killer) and happened to have a giant pumpkin on the label so I figured it had to be the answer.

A- Pours a murky orange with a finger's worth of white head that doesn't hang around too long. Tons of floaties.

S- Sweet and toasted malts and baking spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg etc. Smells like an Oktoberfest with pumpkin pie spices dumped in. Very disjointed.

T- Follows the nose. Subdued sweet and toasted malt notes along with a watery taste of cinnamon and nutmeg. Again, this seems like a watered-down Oktoberfest with spices dumped in. Where is the pumpkin that sold me on the label?!

M- Light with high carbonation. Reminiscent of an AAL.

O- Very disappointing brew. I am a huge fan of Arcadia's Cereal Killer and bought this hoping it would follow that brew's reputation for quality. Not only is this beer sub-par, it purposefully misleads the consumer. This is released in the fall and has a pumpkin on the label with no accompanying information? Come on! This is one of the few times I wish I would've remembered to bring my phone into the store so I could check BA and avoid this garbage.

1.98/5  rDev -39.3%

Appearance - The glass fills half with the beer and half with its head. A nice whipped froth on top that is slightly soapy. A murky sort-of brown with light orange hints.

Smell - Light gourd and spices. Orange citrus. A sort of ripe and vine-like smell as well.

Taste - A flatly spiced ale full with nutmeg and a bit of sweetener. The spice here is very simple and lacks complexity.

Mouthfeel and Overall - Extremely plain and flat. This sort of tastes like water with spice stirred in. Light-bodied and overall a bit funky tasting. This beer lacks complexity and taste. One of the most disappointing fall beers out there, especially in the spice department. Light-bodied but leaves my mouth dry. I had this a year ago and was also not too impressed. I will not be trying this again.

Arcadia Jaw-Jacker from Arcadia Brewing Company