Arcadia Jaw-Jacker - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: nortmand on 09-12-2007

This is an ale brewed with spices, not brewed with pumpkin.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Jaw-Jacker Alström Bros
1.3/5  rDev -60.5%

pours a tarnished brassy hue with almost no head, thin off colored lace. Smells purely of pumpkin. Not in a great way though, kind of like in a smelling cooked squash kind of way.

Thin and almost flavorless. faintly sweet with barely noticeable earthy hop presence. Close to dead carbonation with a slight syrupyness. Finishes with a hint of allspice and cinnamon. Otherwise a palate cleanser. Drinks like water. Yet another disappointing pumpkin beer.

1.3/5  rDev -60.5%

12 oz. Bottle

A: Amber color with large amount of head; lots of carbonation rising, the carbonation is ridiculous

S: Spice smells are prominent, I can't detect a specific spice, but it's a little overly strong.

T: This is awful, the spices all battle to dominate the beer and there is no coherence or unity. This beer has an identity crisis and can't choose what it wants to taste like. The spices are harsh and overwhelming. Awful!

M/D: It's a bad beer with bad mouthfeel, so how could it be drinkable?

Two thumbs down.

1.46/5  rDev -55.6%

A- Uhh... this beer has so much carbonation it isn't funny. I didn't even pour it heavily and it generated about four and a half fingers of head. Huge, thick, heavy lacing developed on this never-ending cap. Its unfortunate. This is one of the few times I've felt like I want less head in my beer.

The ruby body tapered down to a orange and yellow mixture. Tons of bubble streams from the bottom.

S- Heavily spiced. Outrageous amounts. Astringent, metallic, odors. The cinnamon is there as well as the allspice, but they are awful to detect. It feels as if there are acidic notes burning at my nostrils.

T- These flavors caused me to go into convulsions. I understand now why this beer is called Jaw-Jacker. It caused my jaw to lock up in pain. That same astringency found in the nose, is transferred to the taste buds. Tons of overspiced cinnamon and allspice coming through, malty finish with a nice baked bread flavor. However, it doesn't make up for the terrifying opening every time.

M- Thin, lots of carbonation, watery body. Mild lingering flavors.

D- Never again. I would give this to friends as a joke beer at best. It is probably the worst experience I've had with beer as of yet.

1.7/5  rDev -48.3%

Poured to a small half inch head. Head was gone in no time. Ale itself was brown in color. No lacing at all. Had a strong cinnamon smell also smelled of nutmeg. Also notes of fruit, maybe apple. Didnt taste as strong as it smelled. I thought that it actually didnt have a lot of flavor going on. Maybe a slightly sweet apple, and hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. Felt okay in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was a little excessive. I wont buy again. There was a lack in flavor. Almost like carbonated water.

1.77/5  rDev -46.2%

A - This pours a hazy. orange coppery color. There is a one finger, tan head that has decent retention. There is no lacing at all and there is some loose sediment at the bottom of my glass.

S - Oh God, this is awful. There is a mix between plastic and cinnamon. It's very chemically smelling, and what's even worse is that it's really, really pungent. Not sure what's going on here but it's really bad for sure.

T - They really over did the spices here. This beer has no balance at all. It's all about strong cinnamon taste. It reminds me of drinking cold apple cinnamon tea. There is no pumpkin. Arcadia really dropped the ball on this one considering it is important to have good balance in a spiced or pumpkin beer.

M - Surprisingly the mouthfeel isn't bad. There is a good amount of carbonation that gives it a nice, light mouthfeel

D - The smell and taste kill it. I'm not sure I'm going to able to finish and it's not sitting well with my stomach at all. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a bad batch.

1.78/5  rDev -45.9%

Why would anyone want to drink a pumpkin beer that doesn't have any pumpkin in it? I don't often feel moved to review beers that really let me down but I couldn't resist digging into this fraud.

A: Pours a hazy orange color that doesn't have much character to it. Sort of sits in the glass with a whirlpool of yeast(?) that eventually settles. It strikes me as a poorly filtered beer more than anything, and that shows itself later on in the mouthfeel category.

S: Pumpkin pie spices on overdrive. The only thing missing from this is actual pumpkin aroma. It sort of smells like, if you've mixed allspice and nutmeg and cinnamon in a small cup being prepared to be plopped into a batter, and just took a big sniff of that spice cup... it's not the most appetizing thing in the world. Just a big ball of spice on the nose. Oof. I've had overspiced pumpkin ales (Southampton, I'm looking at you!) before, but never have smelled anything like this.

T: All spice and, well... what is this? Sort of has a buttery character much like a weak offering in the Oktoberfest arena, sort of like an autumn-beer Frankenstein gone wrong. As a huge lover of pumpkin beers, and frankly, a pumpkin beer apologist - I'm downright insulted by what I'm drinking. There's no pumpkin here! This is a weak, weak beer with a heavy dose of spices. If you like pumpkin pie spices, the first sip might fool you, but by the end of the experience...

M: You're overwhelmed by spice. The cinnamon is particularly overdone. I finished this beer feeling thirsty, almost as if I'd put a teaspoon of cinnamon in my mouth and let it absorb all of my saliva.

D: An extremely unpleasant experience, and drinking the entire bottle is a chore. A beer this bad deserves a 1/5 in the drinkability category, because in such splendid company as Pumking, Night Owl, Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout... why bother with this?

1.8/5  rDev -45.3%

The best thing about this beer is that it looks like apple cider. And the bottle has some awesome artwork. The smell, oddly similar to over-ripe bananas, is off-putting. The flavor is lacking. There’s a harsh bite to it (someone called it sour and I agree), which makes it difficult to enjoy.

1.81/5  rDev -45%

12oz bottle dated 8/25/11 into a bell pint.

Picked this up at a local shop while I was on a hunt for some pumpkin ales. I noticed this was an Arcadia brew (love Cereal Killer) and happened to have a giant pumpkin on the label so I figured it had to be the answer.

A- Pours a murky orange with a finger's worth of white head that doesn't hang around too long. Tons of floaties.

S- Sweet and toasted malts and baking spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg etc. Smells like an Oktoberfest with pumpkin pie spices dumped in. Very disjointed.

T- Follows the nose. Subdued sweet and toasted malt notes along with a watery taste of cinnamon and nutmeg. Again, this seems like a watered-down Oktoberfest with spices dumped in. Where is the pumpkin that sold me on the label?!

M- Light with high carbonation. Reminiscent of an AAL.

O- Very disappointing brew. I am a huge fan of Arcadia's Cereal Killer and bought this hoping it would follow that brew's reputation for quality. Not only is this beer sub-par, it purposefully misleads the consumer. This is released in the fall and has a pumpkin on the label with no accompanying information? Come on! This is one of the few times I wish I would've remembered to bring my phone into the store so I could check BA and avoid this garbage.

1.9/5  rDev -42.2%

Worst pumpkin I have had this year!

A- Looked okay. Not much of a head, light gold in color in a dark venue.

S- Light pumpkin smell--not overbearing.

T - All of the usual pumpkin pie spicing BUT this stuff tasted more like pumpkin pie hand soap than beer! Relatively offensive chemical aftertaste, very week beer taste!

M -The soapy taste turned me off--hope it wasn't a poorly washed glass.

O - I recommend spending your next $5 elsewhere!

2.06/5  rDev -37.4%

Appearance - The glass fills half with the beer and half with its head. A nice whipped froth on top that is slightly soapy. A murky sort-of brown with light orange hints.

Smell - Light gourd and spices. Orange citrus. A sort of ripe and vine-like smell as well.

Taste - A flatly spiced ale full with nutmeg and a bit of sweetener. The spice here is very simple and lacks complexity.

Mouthfeel and Overall - Extremely plain and flat. This sort of tastes like water with spice stirred in. Light-bodied and overall a bit funky tasting. This beer lacks complexity and taste. One of the most disappointing fall beers out there, especially in the spice department. Light-bodied but leaves my mouth dry. I had this a year ago and was also not too impressed. I will not be trying this again.

2.13/5  rDev -35.3%

Arcadia Ales Jaw-Jacker pours a dense brownish orange with an inital one finger froathy head. Looks like dark spices mixed into an inital orange liquid. The smell is medium strong with a bitter spice aroma. Taste like like what I would imagine the breath of the pumpkin on the bottle. The ale claims to have spices added (cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg). Thats kind of what it taste like. An over mix of spices in liquid with a bitter aftertaste. Nasty film develepment on the gums. The mouthfeel is actually pretty nice. I can enjoy it up till the point I start to taste the wicked culmination of spices. Feels dense, like it looks, with a medium sharp carbonation. Drinkability is worth putting one bottle in a pumpkin beer six pack mixer, and only for comparison. Six packs are over priced and would not be advised for purchase.

2.2/5  rDev -33.1%

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue IX:

Hmm, though they don't say it's a Pumpkin Ale, the allusion is there due to the pumpkin head on the label. After some investigation, we find there's no pumpkin in this beer. It's just spiced, like the label says. Misleading, but let's move on.

Orangey-amber in color and completely hazy due to loose sediment on the bottom of the bottle. Thin layer of lacing sticks around for a while. Obvious pumpkin pie spice aromas (cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg), but the allspice and nutmeg become borderline soapy due to overuse. Mild malt sweetness and a faint buttery tone in the nose as well. Good smoothness with a creamy medium body. Malt is a little bit toasty with a kiss of sweetness. Woody hop bitterness in the middle. Spices take over with more of an earthy allspice and nutmeg combo. Yeasty and a tad buttery with a juicy fruit flavor in the center. Flavors seem to fall apart toward the end with a bitty grain and lingering butter flavor in the semidry finish.

It's hard to get past the spicing here. Bringing in the buttery tone is where this beer loses it. A bit of a chore to drink, and the spicing alone just doesn't cut it for us. If you're going to attempt a Pumpkin Ale, do it right.

2.2/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pint glass.

A: Mix of an Amber and Pale, almost a orange/copper in color. Good looking brew, pale white head leaves little lacing.

S: Nutmeg, Spices, Pumpkin Pie

T: Bitter, Spicey, and soapy.

MF: Same as taste, leaves a gross after taste of dish soap.

O: Its like drinking an air freshener, smells great, but taste terrible.

No I would not recommed this beer to a friend.

2.33/5  rDev -29.2%

Given the label and name, I'm looking forward to a highly-hopped, pumpkin ale here.

A strangely artificial light orange-hue gives a faint illusion to the future tastes of the beer - and the nose then completely gives it away, with those spices noted on the label, but I only pick them up prior to the first drink. Afterwards, they become relatively non-existant.

Similarly, the first taste is somewhat enjoyable, noting the allspice and a bit of the nutmeg especially, one has to wait a bit between drinks, just to reclaim that taste a second and third time. Otherwise, it comes through with overt alcohol and a very mild bitterness. Any trace of hops is very subtle, jumping from the tongue like a happy trick-or-treater off of my front porch.

The key with this one is to drink very slowly so as to catch what flavors do exisit, and don't plan on enjoying it as much as you might have liked.

2.36/5  rDev -28.3%

Bought a 12 oz bottle from holiday beverage, staten island new york. Look: burnt orange. Not much head. Smell: ok pumpkin spices, nothing special. Taste: not very good. I think this is what pumpkin rind would taste like. Just spices barely. No pumpkin flavor what so ever. Ive had better malt liquors. Feel: light to nothing. Bland, sour. Not satisfying at all. Barely any carbonation. Overall: i love pumpkin beers and look forward to this time of year to try new ones. This is one of the worst. Just watery spice. No pumpkin flavor very disappointing. Im being generous with a 2 rating. I dont recommend it at all. I would never, ever buy again

2.37/5  rDev -28%

Poured into a goblet.

A: Minimal carbonation with a very subtle head. A deep orange brownish hue is pretty appealing about this brew. It needs a touch more carbonation.

B: Very strong with the nutmeg aroma on first smell with a hint of brown sugar. Almost has a certain pie crust smell.

T: A very strong spice presence on the palate. Nutmeg flavors and other holiday like spices dominate until the finish when a surprisingly bitter hop presence comes through. It's almost got a butter cream flavor in between all of that.

M: The minimal carbonation really doesn't add to this brew's drinkability. It's about medium bodied overall and needs to be a bit thicker.

Overall: It's certainly no pumpkin brew but it sure as hell smells and tastes like a holiday autumn pie which is pretty nice. But what this brew is missing is a big pumpkin presence to help even out all of those spices and sharp hop flavors on the end. Arcadia, your better than this.

2.4/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I picked up a bottle of Arcadia's Jaw-Jacker last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I've had this beer a few times, but for some reason I've never reviewed it and I thought it was time to give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label doesn't look that great, I liked the old one much better, the new one looks cheesy, I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a hazy golden orange color that took on more of a an orange amber color when held to the light with half a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This wasn't a great looking beer, the color was nice, but the head, lacing and retention weren't good

S- The aroma starts off with higher amount of medium sweetness with a light pumpkin aroma being the first to show up, but it's quickly overpowered by the spices which seem to dominate the aroma and it's the cinnamon that for sure stands out the most. Up next I get a bready and light grainy aroma. This beer didn't have a great aroma, it was dominated by Cinnamon and it didn't let any other aspects shine through.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the pumpkin still being the first to show up, but it might be even lighter than it was in the aroma and it's quickly overpowered by the spices with the cinnamon still being dominating. Up next comes a watery and light grainy flavor. On the finish there's a higher amount of light bitterness with a weird cinnamon like aftertaste. This wasn't a good tasting beer, the cinnamon was too overpowering and there weren't any other nice flavors to back it up.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, a little watery, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a decent mouthfeel, but I wish it wasn't watery.

Overall I thought this wasn't a good beer and i thought that it was a poor example of a Pumpkin Ale, instead of letting the pumpkin shine it was dominated by the cinnamon and that didn't let through any nice supporting flavors. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, a little watery, not filling and the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I have no urge at all to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was the only aspect that wasn't below average. What I liked the least about this beer was taste, it just wasn't good and it didn't really have any redeeming aspects. I wouldn't buy this beer again, now i see why i haven't had it in a couple years. I wouldn't recommend this beer, it's just not a good example of the style. All in all I didn't like this beer, Arcadia is a good brewery, but this isn't a good beer and I don't understand why they choose to release this below average Pumpkin Ale every year. This is my least favorite beer from Arcadia and it's one of my least favorite Pumpkin Ales. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work.

2.5/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Like a soured nutmeg and cinnamon beer bomb. Not good. Didn't cover the alcohol flavor very well, which is surprising as it is only 6.0%. Mouth feel was thin and watery. Not pleasant.

Will not seek out or purchase again.

2.51/5  rDev -23.7%

A - This is murky and cloudy as hell! Looks like completely foul bilge water from the innards of a sunken ship, and I like it! There are several shades of rusty orange due to the layering effect of the boatloads of yeast that burped out of this bottle. the head is a big solid three fingers, and eventually settles and stays at a dense creamy white finger. This leaves big sheets of lace on the glass, and swirling brings that head up to two fingers that looks like it could support a nickel if you carefully laid it on top.

S - Canned pumpkin filling, hard-n-tuff brown bread or rolls (the kind you tear apart before buttering up), and some gentle earthy notes. Not as assertive as I would like, this one is very mellow and underpowered.

T - Old pumpkin (after it's been sitting out on your porch for the entire month of October), dry spice like cinnamon and nutmeg, and dank moldy earth as you might smell in a root cellar. In fact, the label lists cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice as ingredients in this brew and IMO they are a bit overdone. I thought that this would be more pumpkin-based since the label has that cool evil pumpkin on it, but it's more spiced than anything.

M - Medium bodied, slightly syrupy at first, and then extremely dusty and dry from the powdery spice. This leaves a nice autumnal spice flavor lingering in the mouth for several minutes, and I like it for that.

D - Eh. This one is way over-spiced, and under pumpkined. The spices can get very annoying and distracting if you don't sip this very slowly, so that puts a session out of the question. I'd pass on this one next time.

2.53/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Fairly standard copper appearance. Minimal white head upon poor that quickly dissipated.

S: Not much of a nose on this. Very weak in fact.

T: Very bland taste with some actual pumpkin in the back. Just none of the things you want in a pumpkin ale.

M: Low carbonation. Boring on the tongue.

D: This is a drain poor for me. I have too much good beer in my fridge to waste my sobriety on this.

2.53/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pint glass

a - pours a hazy orange color with a few chunks of yeast sediment in it. forms a finger of off white head that calms quickly to a thin film. very little lacing.

s - all spice, nothing else.

t - unfortunately, flavor is dominated by spice. very little malt character coming through though there is a bit of bitterness in the finish.

m - thin with far too much carbonation.

o - well, at least it's appropriately named. not awful, but not for me. certainly won't be returning to this one.

2.58/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottled on date noticeable right below the bottle's neck. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a clean looking transparent burnt orange, great color but little head and decent lacing. The aromas are typical, but nothing exciting. Tons of cinnamon and allspice in the nose and flavors. Tastes artificial and not like a genuine pumpkin ale. Very spicy and bitter. Flavors are pretty sloppy. Mouthfeel is fizzy, but smooth. Alcohol goes unnoticed; slightly spicy. This just wasn't an exciting beer, I don't have much to say. It's not the worst pumpkin ale I've ever had, but it just didn't do anything for me.

If you see it, I'd pass because there are tons of better examples of the style. This isn't a knock on Arcadia, because I like some of their beers, but this is a complete miss, although it could've been worse.

2.59/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a lazy, hazy amber with a decent topping of ivory head, she tries to sheet stick to the glass side as I quaff downward.

Not picking up any pumpkin in the aroma, nor any spices - seems to sniff like a malty ale. Quaff reinforces the aroma - not much here but an astringent attempt at a pumpkin. This one Jacks more than my jaw.

Wow, why would a brewer put out something like this? Glad this was a freebie bottle supplied by ME golfin' buddy that's diggin' the craft. Thanks for hooking me up.

2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

From: Binny's, Champaign, IL
Date: None on bottle, 2013 release
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

Arcadia's Jaw Jacker is a fairly sweet and well-spiced autumnal ale that is too sweet, a bit too one-dimensional, and overly carbonated for my tastes. Although this beer doesn't contain any pumpkin, it comes across as very similar to most other heavily spiced pumpkin ales, indicating how little flavor a brewer can typically extract from a pumpkin, and how much the malts must simulate what could be expected as pumpkin to our tastes.

Pours a 1cm tall head of off-white colored foam, made up primarily of medium-sized bubbles, giving a somewhat dish-soap like appearance. Retention is about average, lasting just below one minute in a decline to a thick ring around the perimeter of the glass and a medium-sized island of residual foam resting atop the body of the beer. Lacing is nonexistent. Beer's body is a moderately dark copper orange color, with light bringing out brighter copper hues. Carbonation remains visible through the nearly opaque (90-95% opacity) body, moderate in number and activity.

Aroma is primarily of pie spices (cinnamon and nutmeg) and apple cider-like sweetness.

Front of palate experiences cloying, pure sugar sweetness joined to pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, and hints of spicy clove). Mid-palate of continuing sugar sweetness with pie spices (cinnamon becoming more pronounced) and a bit of apple cider flavor. Back of palate finds continued pie spices (cinnamon and spicy clove-like flavors being most prominent), diminished sweetness, and a bit of pleasant graham cracker taste in the mid-back as the beer warms. Aftertaste of sugary sweetness and cinnamon, similar to a "red hot" candy; a bit cloying, not particularly pleasant.

Beer is medium-light in body, with carbonation of medium intensity, resulting in a moderately fizzy mouthfeel at first, which gradually calms to a smooth and slightly foamy mouthfeel over a few seconds. Beer does not close dry, and leaves moderate stickiness on the lips and palate.

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance - pours a pleasant sunset orange, a short lived head quickly evaporates to a few stray wisps across the top.

Aroma - mildly vegetal, lightly spiced and floral.

Taste - decent opening flavor of pumpkin and some good accompanying spices. Not overly sweet but a good malt presence. I don't care for the use of hops here. Not very heavy-handed but very bitter and astringent on the swallow and following. Turns a decent malt start into a harsh hop finish. Ends annoyingly bitter.

Mouthfeel - the body has a little weight to it, average crispness.

Drinkability - a pumpkin ale of last resort in my book. Bottle code B3...

Arcadia Jaw-Jacker from Arcadia Brewing Company