Arcadia London Porter - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia London PorterArcadia London Porter

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

English Porter |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

This 18th Century-style Smoked Porter has subtle accent of peat-like Bamberg smoked malt, which is apparent in both the aroma and flavor. It is brewed with seven varieties of premium European malted barley, resulting in note of bittersweet chocolate and coffee that are counter-balanced by a long-sustaining finish of Goldings hops.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 06-05-2002)
1.5/5  rDev -62%

Pillowburn, Apr 01, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -55.7%

thomseye, Jun 26, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -54.4%

This poured an opaque dark brown with lots of tan head. It smelled terrible, like rubbing alcohol and burnt coffee. It tasted bad too, like old coffee and burnt bananas. It was nicely thick with slight carbonation, but it had a bad bitter coffee aftertaste. Overall this was one of the worst porters I've ever had.

Might have been skunked - need to try this again to see if it's really as good as everyone else thinks. Especially since I loved the other Arcadia brews.

Pencible, Mar 27, 2008

leadahmer, Dec 11, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. 04/15/08.

Upon opening the bottle I was greeted by a loud hiss. A modest pour resulted in about four fingers of tan head on top of dark brown ale. Carbonation might be a bit high in this one. Aroma is maple, vanilla, caramel, with minimal notes of coffee.

Taste is rather sour and bitter. Some dark fruits, raisin, date, and fig. But mostly sour. I'd normally be suspicious at this point, but the only other Arcadia brew I've had was also kinda sour, so maybe that's how they are?

Mouthfeel and drinkability are alright. Carbonation is a bit high. The sourness kinda kills it though.

I'm wondering if maybe I got a bad bottle. The freshness info on the bottle is rather cryptic - one notch for the letters A-G and one for the numbers 0-6. Why can't more breweries just stick to actual dates? Anyway, my bottle is notched F5.

bkilpatr, Apr 16, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

A - considerable red around the edges. Tall tight head with a little bit of lacing.

S - strong scent of malts, caramel and a bit of bitter lager like scent.

T - Bitter. A bit of malt.

M - tingle on front of tongue and in the back of the throat.

D - no thanks.

biglite351, Jul 28, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours dark, almost black, with a thick, rich rolling head like a great porter or stout should.

Smells of roasted malts, chocolate and some coffee. Very pleasant.

Roasted smokey flavors plus something else... Paint remover?

This is not what I expected out of a London Porter. Possibly an old bottle?

The more I drank, the less I liked it.

MikieV, May 02, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -32.2%

Thanks to wcudwight for the bottle.

This porter is a dark color with just a hint of light. There is a fair sized tan head. The smell is a herbal smell along with toasted grain. The taste is roasted oatmeal and other grain along with a herbal taste. Mouthfeel is fair and drinkability is ok. Lots of strange flavors here and overall I am not too impressed. I would likely not revisit this beer.

Enola, Oct 02, 2007

marcb105, Jun 14, 2013

vw72, Aug 06, 2012

ajs4bd, Jul 10, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -27.8%

A- poured into a pint glass. small head that lingered. looks like a average porter.

S- a very light chocolate/roasted malt hint. can smell the alcohol which disappoints me.

T- tastes like a weak porter but with a alcohol kick if that makes sence.

M- tasted alil carbonated. light bodied.

D- can only drink a couple. after that you want something more relaxing. i put average cuz of the high abv. i mean drink two for alil how do ya do kick but after switch to something else.

Overall- i had to try this to give arcadia another shot and to compare to founders porter. well my view on arcadia stands. i haven't tasted anything from them that blew me away.

claminat420, Sep 01, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -25.3%

Had to do a rough pour to get any resemblance of a head. But the head I did get was around 1 finger and bone white, lingered nicely too with fantastic lacing. Right off the bat there is a very assertive coffee grounds/burnt chocolate chip cookie flavor which builds and builds as you sip. At first it was pleasant, them moved into the realm of distracting. Not sure how I feel about this one. One sip I like it, the next I find it too burnt tasting.

~Jonathan Passow

imaguitargod, Feb 07, 2010

Hellpop65, Sep 23, 2012

jk3, Feb 02, 2013

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a towering tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is below average. It has an extremely sour aroma. It has a dark malt presence (roasted, chocolate, patent), but it's to contaminated to tell exactly. The taste is average. It has a nice roasted flavor that goes down easy, but it finishes dry and sour with a lingering tartness. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a below average beer. It's spoiled and ruined with contamination. It tastes like a porter riddles with lambic yeast.

WesWes, Aug 13, 2007

ejimhof, Dec 27, 2012

akttr, Jan 12, 2012

drank on 1-10-07 from pint glass

app-black with brown/red edges in light, very little head, held collar though

smell-roasted coffee, bread

taste-burnt coffee flavor, little hop bitterness, dlight sweetness with some salty notes

mouth-well carbonated, medium body

Drink-ave porter, cheap though and no sign of alcohol

MasonBeerMan, Feb 25, 2009

erikkoppin, Jul 05, 2013

vinny21bal, Jan 29, 2014

RespertFTW, Dec 24, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

Who can't get behind a bottle with Churchill on the label? Apparently me. The ratings out there are looking pretty high for a beer that I thought was pretty average.

A: The look was good - very typical porter with some head and some light lacing.

S: Here was the first knock on the beer. It was a bit heavy on the smoky side for me. Other than that, the smell was ok.

T: The smoke flavor dominated for me. There was some roasted malt flavor in the background, but I couldn't get past the campfire in my mouth.

M: Nothing extraordinary, but slightly above average. It wasn't too thin or anything like that.

Overall, I'm sorry, but this one didn't do it for me.

JNewbs, Apr 26, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

A - Dark brown, with ruby highlights. In the bottom of the glass. Two fingers of tan head that dissipates to a ring of tan foam

S - Coffee, some chocolate, and a goodly amount of alcohol smell. The alcohol reminds me of brandy a touch. Small amount of raisins.

T - Coffee bitterness, some sweetness on the last bit, a little alcohol warming.

M - That bitterness stays and coats my tongue, and a nice medium amount of carbonation.

D - A nice solid beer that is better then the sum of it's parts. Very drinkable.

enfield249, Nov 27, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -19.5%

Pour is perfect porter: jet black, huge off-tan head on top of it. Smell is softer than I was hoping for though, lightly malty tones are evident with the vaguest hints of light fruit and chocolate, but I think the smell is quite subdued for the style, sub par.

Taste, big on the chocolate up front, this gives way to a sugary, roasted malt tone. Citrus shows up on the back of the tongue about mid-way through, along with some wood tones. Finish seems decent, good roasted tones sitting on the tongue. The taste on this is not bad, but it doesn't really hit my sweet spot for porters.

Mouth: good stuff. Plenty of bitters and this is a very full beer in the mouth, digging that. Drinkability, ok but not remarkable. Perhaps a shade above average.

Overall: Arcadia has some hits and misses with me. This one is more of a miss. I think the flavours on this one are more subdued than I would like for the style, and it strikes me as one of the weaker locally brewed porters, hence, it's unlikely that I'll buy it again.

CortexBomb, Jun 23, 2007