Arcadia London Porter - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

English Porter |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Mitchster on 06-05-2002

This 18th Century-style Smoked Porter has subtle accent of peat-like Bamberg smoked malt, which is apparent in both the aroma and flavor. It is brewed with seven varieties of premium European malted barley, resulting in note of bittersweet chocolate and coffee that are counter-balanced by a long-sustaining finish of Goldings hops.

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last
4.23/5  rDev +6%

One of my favorite porters. A shy, lacey head and subtle roasted carob scent falls right in with the smooth, full-bodied mouthfeel. Lots of bitter dark chocolate, roasted barley flavor, hint of coffee. A bitter kick to the finish keeps any sweetness in check, ensuring that no one mistakes this porter for a lazy dessert beer. (326 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured a single bottle ($1.35) into an imperial pint glass.

Poured dark, though not as dark as some. Head was very minimal though, less than 1cm despite a rather ham-fisted pour. It doesn't lose any points for this from me, but it didn't lace particularly well either.

Smells like the archetypical porter, though a touch sweet. An excellent balance of toasted malt and hops otherwise.

Taste is interesting. I think it fights hard to be more than a standard porter, but inevitably loses. It's got that good balance of hops and toasted malts that a porter should (with the accompanying smokey and coffee flavors), but there's a sweetness that I can only attribute to too much untoasted malt. I guess they need that to get the body up....?

A little to slick in the mouth for me, more like a scotch ale. This is why I think it has been called a Baltic porter. Also a bit too coarse in the bubble department.

Well, I'd certainly be willing to have another if someone else pays, but I don't know why I would try this again considering the abundance of inexpensive porters (Great Lakes, Great Divide) that taste better and don't have so much of a slick malty feel to them. I'm glad to have tried it, but I'm afraid it doesn't live up to others. Nice and boozy though. ;^) (1,279 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a very dark, reddish color, with not too much foam. The lack of foam seems acceptable for the style. Mild, maltish smell. Taste is quite good, on the bitter side but no overt hops. The London Porter also shows a nutty maltiness. This is a good solid beer, and if you are a Porter fan this is definitely worth a try. (321 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Pours a dark brown color with a moderate tan head that slowly dissapates leaving a sticky lacing behind. Aroma consists of toffee, roasted malt, perhaps chocolate and oatmeal. Taste is a very robust combination of roasted malt bitterness and chocolate/ toffee sweetness. Very flavorable porter (293 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

London style Porter has a very dark black color.Its start out with some head and quickly disolves very soon. Smell is no doubt smoky chocolate with hint of dark roasted coffee.I think as far as taste dark chocolate with a smoking aftertaste,and thats what I was looking for.I could drink many of these.This a smooth tasting porter,that most likely I'll drink again. (365 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

If I hadn't poured this myself, I would have thought it was a British style imperial stout. Look at the ABV - this is right in line with Samuel Smith's Impy. The look is spot-on too, dark dark dark brown with a touch of red, not entirely opaque but close to it. Very short tan head that receded to a little mist. Mouthfeel is good - thick like I like it without being too sticky. Flavor is sweet dark malt, quite a bit of that soy sauce-like taste typical of lighter imperial stouts, but not as much depth as a proper RIS or even more conventional porters. Not much hop to be found, but with this much alcohol I'm not surprised. Speaking of the alcohol, it smacked me right in the nose when I opened the bottle, but is barely noticeable in the glass. I'm sure it'll hit me again as I near the bottom of the glass.

On the whole, a smooth, solid imperial porter. Good stuff and easy drinking from a local Southern Michigan brewery. (930 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: This beer nails the presentation. It pours a deep brown with a thick, lighter brown head.

Smell: I was picking up a bit of an alcohol smell off the bat, but with roasted malt, dark chocolate and coffee filling out the body of the aroma.

Taste: Much like the aroma. This beer hits with a full bodied roasted maltiness, then finishes out with a bitter coffee flavor hinted with dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Decently thick mouthfeel, but still has a moderate amount of carbonation.

Overall: I really enjoyed drinking this beer. It's got a deep, smokey, complex flavor that really opens up as it warms. I would definitely recommend this to a friend. (705 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed this Arcadia London Porter over at Gomer's in Lee's Summit, Missouri. This is my first Arcadia beer and I've heard many good things about their offerings. And as a British historian, I can't pass on the Churchill label!

Poured about one finger of dark tan head and has a pleasant ruby red color when held up to the light.

Initially, the aroma started with pungent licorice, but mellowed as the beer warmed. The high notes are bitter chocolate, a little vanilla bean, and maybe just a touch of mint. No hops in the nose.

The taste of this porter runs to the sour and musty side of things, like most quality-made British-style ales. I taste dark cocoa, browned caramel, with some slight puckering hops on the sides of the tongue. The alcohol presence is slightly warming, and a little bothersome for a regular porter. It is not chewy as I would expect from a porter. The bitterness grows as the beer disappears from the Fuller's pint glass.
NB: I wish they would put the ABV on the carton because I didn't know the % until I pulled up Beer Advocate.

The mouthfeel is silky; there's not a lot of carbonation here. I like a little more in a porter.

Drinkability is fine as it goes. As their signature entry-level porter, however, Arcadia should lower the abv to the 5.5% range. I like big beers periodically, but I don't understand the need to push the regular beer line-up into the "imperial" range, even if they don't use the moniker. Still, I have yet to find the equal to Fuller's London Porter. (1,509 characters)

Special thanks to Blatherbeard for this!

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a Sam Adams Sensory Glass

Pour: Pours black with faint mohoganny highlights. A caramel colored head adorns the top of the pour, but recedes almost as quickly as it came. The only evidence of the foam is an generous lacing along the sides of the glass.

Smell: A very notable scent of roasted coffee, and malts fills the nostrils. The syrupy roasted scent gives why to a much drier cocoa scent.

Taste: A thick roasted flavour of malt & caramel introduces this porter to the mouth, and this gives way to a warm taste of coffee, and some sweet almost fruity tones that keep the edges deburred and the taste smooth.

Mouthfeel: I rich full bodied beverage. It starts with an almost oily introduction and seems to dry a bit as it progresses. Finishes well.

Drinkability: I had no problem finishing this porter, and only wished there was another bottle. (931 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +2.5%

Had in bottle via Alan in BIF. Poured on 4/10/09.

Pours a satisfactory dark with good carbonation and head. Smell is fantastic, with roasted coffee and toffee clearly present. Taste is solid with the coffee tones and a little toffee essence coming out on the backend. A little bit light-bodied, though not to its detriment. Decently drinkable, though the higher ABV would prevent consumption of too many in an evening. (420 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Started drinking this beer in a pint glass but then changed to more of a wine glass (very heavy glass with a small mouth). The beer was much better in the wine glass. I could really catch the smoky quality of this porter.

Poured dark with not much of a head.

Nose: Smoke mixed with sweet caramel.

Mouthfeel: good amount of carbonation with a nice silky finish.

Taste:Initial flavor is smoked malt and caramel, nice hoppy finish

Drinkability: Very easy to drink more than one. Some alcohol was present.

My only question about this beer was the sediment I found on the bottom. I know it was a "bottle conditioned beer" but the sediment was like sawdust. i wasn't all that thrilled about this. Overall, I was pretty content with this porter. Not my favorite but drinkable. (776 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -16%

It pours dark and thick, little to no head, with slight lacing as it goes down. With a nice roasted malt smell, the taste provides a quality oomph to match. It starts smooth and ends with a beautiful array of rich bitterness. Pleasant and dark; it has some nutty, creamy, smoky and dark chocolate flavors that blend for delightful end of the evening brew.

This is a brew for those who enjoy their craft beer slow and savor every flavor; pleasant and dark. (456 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +7%

Pouring a deep brown with minimal lacing.

Heavily roasted malt with coffee and fruit standing out in the mix Strong taste of roasted malt, and chocolate and some fruit that I can't seem to pin down.

Has a nice bitterness feeling to it. Nice and chewy.
Real strong finish, that belies it's higher alcohol content. You really don't notice it....right away.
Definitely worth picking up a sixpack.
(400 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer pours a dark, almost black colour and smells of roasted malts with hints of chocolate and toffee. The taste mirrors this smell, with a smooth and roasty mouth and a slightly bitter finish. Overall, an enjoyable beer that is well crafted here in Michigan.

4/5 (269 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +20.8%

Black color. Medium body. Very complex aroma and taste---roasted malt, bitter and sour. None of the sweetness, but with all the flavors of many imperial stouts. Best Arcadia brew that I've tried! This, like most porters, is over-looked. Sour over-tone which is very much in line with original porters which included sour, left-over beer. Less than $9 for a 6-pack. (364 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz bottle. Dark and opaque.

S - Sharp and smoky. Smoked cheese aromas with some sweeter maltiness.

T -Again, a mix of sharp and sour flavours with less maltiness than you'd expect in a porter, although it's still there.

O - I'm not quite sold on the balance of this beer. It has an interesting flavour but I don't think there's enough maltiness to stand up to the unusual sour and smoky flavours for a porter. (414 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on Feb 10, 2005

A - Very dark/black with a nice creamy tan and brown head. Nice head that just overflows from the glass if poured too fast. Nice lacing and the head lasts til the glass is empty.Very nice looking imo.

S - When I put my nose to the glass I pick out the usual porter smells. Nice roasted barley/malts and nice dark coffee scents. Some deep hidden choclate and chestnuts.

T - Roasted malts, barley, and smoky wood. A bitter coffee aftertaste with a little chocolate and wee bit of creaminess.

M - fairly thin. Its not real thick. Goes down pretty easy. Covers your tongue with a nice creamy feeling.

D - This is a good porter. Not the best Ive had, but pretty tasty. A little too smoky , but thats the style I suppose. I can only take so much of a smoky flavored beer. I could have a few maybe and thats it.

not my favorite, but its still pretty good. I could see this being much better in the right situation....like on a cold snowy day. (978 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +6.3%

bring a driver. at 7.2 the fact that i could drink a hundred of these is dangerous. it drys up my mouth in that good way that makes me want to sip sip sip.looks good hanging on the glass(for you "lacing"cats)with nice chocolate.the finsh hangs and your mouth wants more. (270 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearence: Deep brown with a thin head, some sediment settles to the bottom of the glass while a light lacing adorns the top.

Smell: Quite malty, with some sugary sweetness. There's a bit of alcohol detectable there, too, which seems to suggest more than its 7% ABV.

Taste: Up front is a sugary, chocolatey sweet tinge, with a broad taste of roasted malt following. Again, a bit more alcohol in the taste than you might expect at 7% ABV, but it doesn't seem to unbalance the flavor much. A bit acidic also, but again, not to the point of unbalance.

Mouthfeel: Sugar, acid, and alcohol make this a pretty powerful brew that won't linger in your mouth long.

Drinkability: Because of the powerful mouthfeel, I don't know that I could go through a sixpack of this stuff in a night.

Overall, this is a fine sweet porter and shows a better balance of flavor than many other American attempts at the style. (915 characters)

drank on 1-10-07 from pint glass

app-black with brown/red edges in light, very little head, held collar though

smell-roasted coffee, bread

taste-burnt coffee flavor, little hop bitterness, dlight sweetness with some salty notes

mouth-well carbonated, medium body

Drink-ave porter, cheap though and no sign of alcohol (321 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%

Honestly, not a lot going on in the head. You get some malt, you get some alcohol smell but not much else. Thin, light brown color.

Taste has roasty flavors,bits of coffee, with some sweet, syrupy flavor, and some warmth, which it should have at 7.2% abv. Real nice finish, with some snap. Finish has roast, some nice bitterness, and plenty of roast.

Mouthfeel is as smooth as can be. (388 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -8%

poured into a standard nonic

A - pours a very dark brown with a thin tan head that barely layers the top before settling as a ring. not much lacing going on.

S - roast, chocolate, very light coffee, more than anything I'm getting some beechwood smoked malt. ever smelled DRUM tobacco? if you have you'll know exactly what I mean.

T - up front with roast, some light coffee and hop bittering, the smoke comes back a bit lighter on the finish.

M - creamy with a good carbonation tingle

D - the smoke in this is very unique and pleasant but it becomes a bit much after a while. like most smoked beer, one is usually enough for me.

solid drink, one of my favorites from Arcadia. (680 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -57.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

I finally got a chance to try this beer. It poured a nice dark brown/black colour. I found the taste to be somewhat sour and unpleasant and at first smell I was reminded of paint. Very strange. Overall I was very disappointed with this porter. (243 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pours a very dark brown, pushing the edges of black with a small one finger tan/orange head that dissipates rather quickly. Minimal amounts of lacing but head does last.

S: Malty with distinct smells of a rich smokiness. Sweet smelling yet somewhat rugged. Earthy smells as it warms.

T: The malt and smoke that you smell are also what highlight the taste. Alcohol is hidden well by the smokey flavor. Sweeter at first then almost a bitter aftertaste.

M: Clean and smooth. Has a good drinkability. I would say a little more than medium bodied.

O: Would gladly drink it again. It does have some bitter qualities to it but are not overpowering. It has similar taste attributes to that of scotch ales. (708 characters)

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last