Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Arcadia London Porter - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia London PorterArcadia London Porter

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

English Porter |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Mitchster on 06-05-2002

This 18th Century-style Smoked Porter has subtle accent of peat-like Bamberg smoked malt, which is apparent in both the aroma and flavor. It is brewed with seven varieties of premium European malted barley, resulting in note of bittersweet chocolate and coffee that are counter-balanced by a long-sustaining finish of Goldings hops.

2.7/5  rDev -31.6%

Pours dark, almost black, with a thick, rich rolling head like a great porter or stout should.

Smells of roasted malts, chocolate and some coffee. Very pleasant.

Roasted smokey flavors plus something else... Paint remover?

This is not what I expected out of a London Porter. Possibly an old bottle?

The more I drank, the less I liked it.

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

London style Porter has a very dark black color.Its start out with some head and quickly disolves very soon. Smell is no doubt smoky chocolate with hint of dark roasted coffee.I think as far as taste dark chocolate with a smoking aftertaste,and thats what I was looking for.I could drink many of these.This a smooth tasting porter,that most likely I'll drink again.

3.11/5  rDev -21.3%

Who can't get behind a bottle with Churchill on the label? Apparently me. The ratings out there are looking pretty high for a beer that I thought was pretty average.

A: The look was good - very typical porter with some head and some light lacing.

S: Here was the first knock on the beer. It was a bit heavy on the smoky side for me. Other than that, the smell was ok.

T: The smoke flavor dominated for me. There was some roasted malt flavor in the background, but I couldn't get past the campfire in my mouth.

M: Nothing extraordinary, but slightly above average. It wasn't too thin or anything like that.

Overall, I'm sorry, but this one didn't do it for me.

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Bottle is dated 02/03/11.

A strong pour yields a 1-finger creamy tan-colored head. After a couple minutes, it recedes to a light dusting. After a few more minutes, there is not a speck of head to be seen. Lacing is about as minimal as the head.

Strong sweet malt aromas with notes of roasted coffee and dark chocolate in a swirl of smoke. The smell is deliciously strong and does not require a lot of concentration to enjoy.

A silky smooth cola-like malitiness starts each sip but is soon superseded by a dry smoke and mocha flavor. While warming, the 7% ABV is not strikingly apparent.

Full bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer flows over the tongue nicely but sticks just enough to allow the flavors to really shine.

3.81/5  rDev -3.5%

I realized recently that I haven't been giving Arcadia a fair shot, passing over their beers in favor of more hyped or well-known breweries, so I decided I'd try more of their lineup.

Poured into a tulip, with three inches of, foamy, fluffy tan head. Quite dark, with the slightest brown highlights.

Smells smokier than I expected -- I didn't think this was a smoked porter. Smells of smoke with a bit of roastiness and sweet, dark malt. Not the strongest aroma, but I think there's too much smoke.

The taste is once again largely smoke, layered over nice roasty, sweet malt. Some hints of dark fruit, especially in the aftertaste. It fades quickly, but leaves me wanting another sip.

The mouthfeel is pretty velvety smooth, and a bit thin (though not quite too thin). Perhaps par for the course for porters.

Overall, this is a good porter. I think the smoke is a little too forward for my taste, but by the end of the glass it seems to blend in better, and I can taste the other flavors better.

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured into NB Globe.

A: pours dark brown, opaque, light brown head, decent amount of lacing and head retention

S: deep smokey/roasty aroma, notes of bold coffee and some sweetness comes through at the end and a noticable dash of earthy hops

T: the sweetness is more up front on the palate, the sweetness is a little strange, having trouble putting my finger on it...almost has a bubble gum like note to it, and it is quickly overridden by a very sharp smokiness, the end features a bitter hop bite. This brew is full of flavor, the balance is questionable as it finishes a little too bitter.

MF: medium body, medium carbonation

D: this is a nice value beer- robust porter for under $10 a 6 pack. Not something I would purchase regularly, but definitely worth a try.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours out to a blackish-brown body with a thick tan head that quickly disappears. It has little lacing, some retention and good carbonation. The smell is cocoa with some coffee and caramel, nothing really exciting here. The taste is biter chocolate at fisrt followed by some coffee, caramel, a little hint of hops, and seems to have a little bit of molasses in it.It also has a slight smoke flavor mixed in. It finishes off with more chocolate and has a chocolaty aftertaste. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy, but finishes off a little on the dry. A nice enjoyable beer that is not quite as filling as I would have expected. A pretty good porter, but I have tasted a few better english style porters. Anyone that likes this beer should try Fuller's London Porter which is even better than this beer.

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%

poured into a standard nonic

A - pours a very dark brown with a thin tan head that barely layers the top before settling as a ring. not much lacing going on.

S - roast, chocolate, very light coffee, more than anything I'm getting some beechwood smoked malt. ever smelled DRUM tobacco? if you have you'll know exactly what I mean.

T - up front with roast, some light coffee and hop bittering, the smoke comes back a bit lighter on the finish.

M - creamy with a good carbonation tingle

D - the smoke in this is very unique and pleasant but it becomes a bit much after a while. like most smoked beer, one is usually enough for me.

solid drink, one of my favorites from Arcadia.

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%

Honestly, not a lot going on in the head. You get some malt, you get some alcohol smell but not much else. Thin, light brown color.

Taste has roasty flavors,bits of coffee, with some sweet, syrupy flavor, and some warmth, which it should have at 7.2% abv. Real nice finish, with some snap. Finish has roast, some nice bitterness, and plenty of roast.

Mouthfeel is as smooth as can be.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

I bought a single of this at the store last week. I have always seen this beer around but it really never peaked my interest till now, so lets see how it goes. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- This beer pours a very dark brown color, almost black. It had two and a half fingers worth of off white almost tan head that faded to a nice ring that stayed the rest of the time. I like the old label better but this one isn't that bad.

S- I pick up some roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits and a hint of booze. It's a little sweet but still has a nice aroma.

T- The taste start out with a good amount of slightly bitter chocolate that has a very roasty almost burnt taste to it, kind of smokey. The dark fruits tend to stick out a lot towards the end creating a really unique flavor. I was expecting this to be a hoppy porter, like most English porters, but it wasn't the slightest. There's also a hint of booze at the end.

M- Medium bodied but a little on this side with perfect carbonation.

D- Well I think one would be enough for me. The flavors are pretty robust and smokey so I feel that after one the flavor would be too much. Even though it tastes a little boozy the alcohol is hidden pretty well.

Overall I thought this was a good unique brew. When I saw this was an English Porter, I figured I would be in for a lighter, hoppy porter, but that was not the case. I don't think I would call this beer and English Porter, but I really don't know what style it would fit in. This beer was a pleasant surprise and I am glad I tried it. Good job at making a unique porter Arcadia.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours near black with a decent chunky tan head. Some lacing.

Boozy licorice, molasses, coffee aromas. Smells big.

This one is a bit hot. Lots of molasses and alcohol up front, with chocolate, coffee, and some astringent twang. Decent balance, but this on needs some time in the bottle. Booze dominates to the point of distraction.

Fuller bodied, but some carbonation.

I liked this porter, but I was ready to b done with the pint. Rich and strong-flavored, it is a true sipper. Another good one from this brewer, and very worth the try.

4.24/5  rDev +7.3%

bring a driver. at 7.2 the fact that i could drink a hundred of these is dangerous. it drys up my mouth in that good way that makes me want to sip sip sip.looks good hanging on the glass(for you "lacing"cats)with nice chocolate.the finsh hangs and your mouth wants more.

3.36/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from the bottle into my COAST brewing pint glass

A - dark dark brown almost black body with a circle of off white head. Umm. where did the head go?

S - Chocolate, roasted malts and booze. Smells a bit hot for the style.

T - A chocolatey type flavor with a bit of an astringent burnt taste at the end. A bit of a smoked flavor is in there as well. Maybe a bit of the booziness I picked up in the nose is there as well.

M - light to medium body with a fair amount of carbonation. A bit thinner than I'd like

D - Meh. This beer isn't awful but it isn't great either. The chocolate flavor is pretty good but this beer just isn't quite there for me yet. I would drink this again but wouldn't buy it unless the other options were extremely limited.

2.58/5  rDev -34.7%

A - considerable red around the edges. Tall tight head with a little bit of lacing.

S - strong scent of malts, caramel and a bit of bitter lager like scent.

T - Bitter. A bit of malt.

M - tingle on front of tongue and in the back of the throat.

D - no thanks.

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

A: A decent fluffy 2 finger head rises up but fades just as quickly to a 1 finger head and slows its pace. The beer is dark black, essentially pitch black with no real light coming through except the very bottom where it thins significantly.

N: A nice porter nose, some roasted malts, a little chocolate malt, dark fruit of figs and plums, a little sweet caramel and some vanilla, a slight chewy dark malt presence, and some syrupy sweet aromas, and a hint of smoked malt.

T: Pretty standard for porter at first, some dark roasty malts, chewy malts, little chocolate, and a heavy addition of smoked malts. Lots of smoked malt, some smoked meat flavor too and even smoked cheese. Some vanilla too, a nice rich vanilla and slight chocolate flavors. More dark malts, and with that is a little earthy charred bitterness. The scorched malts add some of the earthy bitterness as well as a little minerality and touch of soy sauce. Some fluffy marshmellow flavors as well, but just a touch. A very slight touch of warming booze as well which does not go well at all with it being called an "English Porter".

M: Semi thick towards medium body with good carbonation.

F: A bit of warming booze throughout that comes out more as it warms. The earthy roasted charred bitter finish with some minerality lingers for a while. More charred roasty malts and perhaps black patent malt also linger for a bit. More chewy malt finish as well. There is also some sticky sweetness. Not quite what I expected for an English style porter, but then again it IS Arcadia, so I guess it's more of a West Coast Americanized English porter. Tasty nonetheless, but loses some points for not quite abiding to the style. Just way too much malts, too much abv, roasted flavors, and minerality.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Wow, this beer has some balls to it, I thought I was drinking a RIS. Pours the darkest brown you could imagine w/ nice tan head and lacing that stuck. Smell is full of burnt chocolate. The taste is full flavored and roasted to perfection. Mouthfeel is more creamy than thin. Dare I say a sipper, it's very chewy and bitter. Alcohol is noticeable, warm on the way down and a smokiness is present. This is a great beer but unfortunately I couldn't drink more than one in a sitting; just savor it.

Definitely one of the better porters I've tried. To me this isn't your typical porter, drinks like a RIS, very complex. Unique brew, recommended and well priced.

Gold Medal winner at 2003 World Beer Championship.

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

It pours dark and thick, little to no head, with slight lacing as it goes down. With a nice roasted malt smell, the taste provides a quality oomph to match. It starts smooth and ends with a beautiful array of rich bitterness. Pleasant and dark; it has some nutty, creamy, smoky and dark chocolate flavors that blend for delightful end of the evening brew.

This is a brew for those who enjoy their craft beer slow and savor every flavor; pleasant and dark.

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a very dark, reddish color, with not too much foam. The lack of foam seems acceptable for the style. Mild, maltish smell. Taste is quite good, on the bitter side but no overt hops. The London Porter also shows a nutty maltiness. This is a good solid beer, and if you are a Porter fan this is definitely worth a try.

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Looks like a regular porter, dark, opaque; like coffee. Head was bubbly and tan in color. It dissolved rather quickly though. Aroma was a mix of alcohol, roasted malts, and some sort of sweetness. Taste had a mix of alcohol, a raisin-chocolate sweetness to it, and roasted malt bitterness as well. Good and thick, but could have used a little more carbonation so it would've have felt like a thin syrup. Not too heavy for a 7.2% ABV, so that's good. BUt the body is too thick to have multiple bottles.

3.91/5  rDev -1%

A dark ruby-brown. Head contains very tight bubbles for a bottle conditioned beer. I guess i would like it to be darker, though many of my stouts come out this color so I can't say that it isn't appropriate.

Dark raisin/dark crystal malt ake up most of the ose followed by some herbal hopiness and then a little warm alcohol. For me crystal is so strong that I miss any espresso or coffee or anything like that.

Now I get a little italian roast espresso complimented by a dark chocolate sweetness that blends well with both the espresso and crystal-raisin taste. Definitely tastes better than it smells. Also a little licorice with a clean bitterness in the finish.

Good mouthfeel. Smooth and silky yet with an effervescent carbonation. I find the two conflicting yet interesting though a bit distracting.

Though I might prefer less carbonation, it does trick you into thinking that this brew is more sessionable, which if you think it then I guess it is. A fie English porter and a good contender to Fuller's.

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

My first bottle of this brew. Been reviewing a lot of stouts and porters lately, trying to really become discriminatory when evaluating these 'fan-favorite' beer styles.

A: Poured into my Unibroue tulip. No head to speak of, but some nice lacing that lasted for the duration of the glass. Dark brown during the pour, pitch black in the glass.

S: Not much in this department. Very light nutty chocolate aromas, sort of like the Nutella factory a mile away caught on fire.

T: The taste is a huge improvement over the nose: dark chocolate nuttiness, like a fresh baked batch of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. Aftertaste is a bit of extra bitterness at the back of the mouth, which wasn't necessarily appreciated but wasn't without its place.

M: Mouthfeel is deceptively good. One expects a dark English beer to have a bit more character and body than this one initially appears to have, but there's some tingly carbonation in the body as well as some thickness.

D: If not for the lingering bitterness, this would get a perfect score. It's sort of like if you buy a $5 bar of fine dark chocolate... you're not going to eat the whole thing in one night, regardless of how much you like chocolate. It's tasty, but it wears on you a bit.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A_Dark brown with a one finger mocha head that dissipates into a thick ring. Decent lacing.

S_Smells of roasted malt, chocolate , and nutty.

T_Cocoa and nutty. Roasted malt gives it an almost smoky flavor.

M_Thick and creamy.

D_Very smooth. Goes down easy.

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a nice, thick mocha head. Is very dark in color. Beer is clear, with no sediment apparent.

Smell is very malty with some cocoa apparent.

First sip has almost a smokey appeal to it. Malt is dark in texture. Has a coffee-like bitter quality that is very satasfying.

Mouthfeel is full and complex with a complete pallet of flavors to keep you interested from first sip all the way through to the aftertaste. A great beer!

2.99/5  rDev -24.3%

Had to do a rough pour to get any resemblance of a head. But the head I did get was around 1 finger and bone white, lingered nicely too with fantastic lacing. Right off the bat there is a very assertive coffee grounds/burnt chocolate chip cookie flavor which builds and builds as you sip. At first it was pleasant, them moved into the realm of distracting. Not sure how I feel about this one. One sip I like it, the next I find it too burnt tasting.

~Jonathan Passow

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

After seeing this brew for years and reading good things about it I decided to pick it up, though I am not sure why it took so long? Anyway this brew poured to a black color with a medium colored, medium sized tan head that had good retention and left some good lacing, a lot more at the top of the glass. The aroma showcases roasted malts, fruit scent of what I think might be plum with a little raisons, seems to give it a slight sweetness - also could be from the slight chocolate notes? Also there is a slight booziness/alcohol aroma that was a surprise but went well. While the aroma was ok, the flavors are much better. The malts give a nice chocolate flavor, rich, slightly astringent in a perfect way. Some molasses and caramel like flavors give a slight sweetness then it also has a feel of coffee in the background and somewhat at the end of the sip. The feel is dry at the end, some of that coffee flavor adding to that. It is very easy to drink, the 7.2 ABV is a surprise as it does not really come through in the flavor, just the nose. Nice brew.

Arcadia London Porter from Arcadia Brewing Company