Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Arcadia Sky High Rye - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Sky High RyeArcadia Sky High Rye

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: FrognutUnl on 01-11-2009

1.85/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to NJB145 for this extra that arrived in a recent box, furthering my quest to try every bottled/canned/Nalgened rye around. Today the U.S., tomorrow the world. 12 oz. bottle.

Pour is an even, pale yellow that one can see shadows through, but no detail. Mild carbonation. Nose evokes the breezes of a Brussels dubbel more than a rye: sweet, sugary, with a mild pat of orange-inflected spice. Rye Dubbel? That sounds like a fine idea.

Sky High Rye teases with a unique nose then hands me the Arcadia let-down. The rye up front is bowled over rudely by a linebacker of sharp, pungent, something... hops? I believe it is the hops, gone dank & turning into some kind of medicinal penicillin. Maybe it'll clear up those ear sores? Hard to get past, but there's earthiness, maybe a touch of caramel. Mouthfeel is irrelevant, because I'm struggling to get past the four ounce mark.

Four it is. Arcadia's barrel-aged program (barring the excellent Shipwreck Porter) seems to be OK, but I haven't had a 'regular' beer from them I would care to tongue again. Rye is a terrible thing to waste: drain pour. (1,105 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours a clean yellow/ orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma, a really faint rye note. In the taste, a sweet rye maltiness, almost fruity. A smooth and light bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry fruitiness in the aftertaste. Quite thin and not much in aroma. (265 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

My first beer from Arcadia and my first rye beer. I am kind of tired of every american beer being over the top with hops. Don't get me wrong this is not a bad beer, it's just not balanced. Another beer in the mad arms race over how much hops can you add to a beer before your taste buds can't recognize the taste.

The beer is golden with decent head and good lacing. The smell as you can imagine is floral, grapefruit and grass. The taste is way too bitter. I can barely taste the malt and what I do taste has a funk off flavor. Why put rye in a beer that you can't taste the malt? (583 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

on tap at khyber in philly

Pours a clear golden orange color with a thick crop of white head resting on top. Retains pretty well while leaving some patchy lacing on the glass.

Soft hop bitterness in the nose with some fruit sweetness. A dash of pineapple and bread with some faint buttyness. Rye spice is understated.

A little bitter and hoppy up front with some citrusy notes. Pineapple and orange with some sweet tones and a dash of rye. A bit bready and buttery in the malt backbone. Touches of caramel towards the finish, which is a little bitter.

Medium body, decent carbonation, sticky and lingering on the tongue. This is way understated on the rye presence, and the hints of butter don't really help either. (721 characters)

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, hazy, orange-brown in color, moderate carbonation

Smell: citrus hops and rye

Taste: orange, floral hops, some rye, and lemon

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, medium carbonation, sweet start with a bitter middle that gets less bitter on the finish

Drinkability: This is a decent beer, but I do not get as much of a rye taste here as I do in other rye beers. It is ok and if you like bitter beers, pick this up. However I have had better in the style. (473 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -20.3%

Undated 12 oz can purchased near brewery about 3 months ago and kept refrigerated.
Pours golden with a small, partially durable head.

Smells spicy and floral, rather as expected. But the flavor clearly reveals wild yeast. Unintentional I believe. So much for unpasteurized in this case. The farmhouse effects actually fit somewhat well with the spicy rye/hop profile and don't completely ruin the beer, but it certainly doesn't taste like it should.

Feel: medium-light body is properly carbonated but a bit harsh. (517 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured into a Stange.

A: Pale and murky yellow body that has some carbonation and not an insignificant amount of sediment. There is a rocky white head that goes on forever and leaves foamy lacing. It's a little too much. Nothing wrong here, but nothing inviting or appealing either.

S: Very faint. I get a little rye and a little hops. Not much else.

T: I get a little grimace from the flatness of the aftertaste. However, it is a strong taste. Rye, hops and a little citrus. Not bad, but that aftertaste...

M: My favorite part of this beer is the feel. Begins full and well carbonated and ends with a stark dryness. The transition between the two is arresting.

O: A pretty below-average beer that has a good feel and is thankfully not offensive but just bland, making it drinkable and an alright slot filler in a pick-six. (828 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: hazy dark yellow. A small white head that fades quickly.

Smell: weak. Grassy,rye. Too faint

Taste: strong grass, faint rye, some citrus

Mouthfeel: fairly light, slight bitterness

Overall: not horrible but nothing interesting or overly well done about it. I know some people are fans of Arcadia but there beers just don't hit it for me (351 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -18.5%

Bright yellow in color with a little haze. About a inch of foam on a moderate pour.

Bright tropical fruit scent. As it warms, yeasty scent becomes noticeable.

Predominant taste is resin. In fact, it's rather one dimensional.

For all the foam and lacing, the mouthfeel is very thin and watery.

I think the beer would benefit from a little sweetness. It's drinkable, not interesting enough to drink more than one. (417 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. Pours a dark gold with a. one finger head. Carbonation bubbles continue to rise along with some odd black floaters coming from the bottom. Leaves a great amount of lacing. Smells of very odd hops and dark bread, along with some medium malt and toasted caramel. Smells weird. Tastes like a weak IPA with a goood amount of malt and hops and a huge hit of dark bread along with some obvious spices. The mouthfeel keeps all mentioned flavors but it allows a tingling spicy sensation to come through and it sticks around even minutes after the beer is finished. Overall, it was a pretty interesting beer although not something that I would prefer. The spice was just weird and it kind of ruined the beer for me. (747 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Tangy in a way that reminds me of a Saison. Fairly bitter, full of the sourish cereal flavors of rye. Attractive golden color in the tall tulip with a nice creamy head. One nice feature is a warm malty taste, but that yields to the very long bitter taste that continues to rule the aftertaste. Decent mouthfeel with the fine carbonation.

This makes me think of Surly Fest, with the buckwheat taste and the dominating hops. This one has kind of a winey flavor, and rather too much acidity. Rye fiends may like to try it, but there is not much to balance the austere flavors that turn harsh after half a glass. (609 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -15.8%

This beer has great head, great color and nice carbonation. Then it goes down hill from here. Smells sour to citrisy tones. Taste is smooth yet still a bit sour. For the way it looks in my pint I wish it had more going on. Not bad but I have better choices living in South West Michigan where the best beers in the world are brewed! (332 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

Picked this bottle up in Grand Rapids. Served in a tulip.

Pours a light orange color with a bit of haze. Mild white head with a bit of spotty lacing. Moderate retention. The nose is a bit plain with a bit of mild malt and some earthy hops. The flavor profile is a bit dull as well. There are some hops there, but they don't contribute much. The rye isn't really popping much, either. The mouthfeel is a bit light with moderate carbonation and a slight dryness in the finish. Drinkability is decent enough, though nothing special. (530 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -15%

I actually thought this was a classic rye ale. The problem for me was there wasn't very much malt or hops. I like Rye IPA's or malty Ryes but this one really only tastes like rye. Light gold color. Good carbonation. Smell is a little mild but the taste is definitely Rye. Unique but could use more of something. (311 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle...

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber hue with a tan head. Weak retention and lacing.

Smell: Spicy rye, piney hops, and mild malt backbone.

Taste: Spicy rye is overpowering in the taste with very little balancing from the malt. Hop bitterness comes forth but just pushes the spiciness further along in it's intensity.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated within a medium to full body. Robust.

Overall: Worthy of being bought but not my favorite rye beer. (471 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Served in a shaker pint glass at The Firkin.

While I'm here, I might as well have some cask-conditioned goodness, right? This bit thereof pours a clear pale straw (the closest thing to a yellow crayon I've ever seen sit in a glass) topped by a finger of bright cream-white foam. The nose comprises sharp pine, leek, caramel, grapefruit, light lemon zest, and light fennel. The taste holds notes of pine, lemon rind, mild leek, light caramel, rye spice, orange rind, and a very light twist of lime. Something about the citrus combination and the bitterness at the end, I think, but this just does not sit well on my tongue. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a nearly non-existent carbonation (cask, remember?) and a smooth, creamy feel. Overall, I'm not entirely a fan of this beer. I don't think the rye was employed all that well, and the flavor combinations didn't really work. (887 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -14%

Not bad as a pale ale, but I was let-down that the rye really does not shine through in this beer. It lacks that spicy bite that rye can lend, and, had the label not noted it as a rye beer, I don't think I would have known otherwise. Decent balance of hops and malt, with a long bittering finish. (296 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -14%

Thanks to my buddy for leaving this in my fridge on accident.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Hennepin globe. This beer pours a hazy bruised lemon with a big 3 inch cap that leaves just a slight lacing down the sides of the glass. Head retention is pretty good. A decent 1/4 inch cap is sticking around with the beer for its entirety. The aroma has a surprising amount of rye spice. Black pepper with just a bit of tangerine intermingled. The flavor is much the same with tangerine and orange mixed with black pepper and a nice yeasty, bready malt base adds a nice backbone to the rye and hops. Whats a bit odd to me is the backside of this beer is fairly thin. Nothing really sticks around. The flavor just dissipates. In the right setting this beer could really hit the spot but really like most beers like that it's fairly middle of the road. (843 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -13.2%

Golden color with excess of two fingers of white head. The head has very good retention before settling to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. The label makes a claim of rye pale ale. I have a hard time picking up any rye in the aroma and flavor and that hurts the score of an otherwise fine tasting pale ale. What I do pick up is some citrus hops and pale malt in the aroma and flavor. Missing the spicey charactor of the rye malt. The body is on the lighter side but does not feel thin and has very good carbonation that keeps things lively. After drinking copious amounts of Founder's and Summit's spectacular rye ales, this is no where in contention. Do not fear the rye. Kind of surprised by the 6% ABV as well. (728 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Hazed faded gold color with a tall sticky white head. Lots of spicy rye on the nose with a good dose of dank hops.

Very spicy, on the heavier side of being medium bodied. Creamy body, Rye flavor throughout. Malt barely comes through showcaseing the rye and a spicy herbal hop note. Some citrus notse as well. Oddly a lot of detectable alcohol. I'm not a fan of rye beers but this one actually isn't too bad. Still a little too much rye for me but otherwise pretty decent besides the overy boozey and spicy back end. (516 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of Arcadia's Sky High Rye a couple weeks ago for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. It's been a while since I've had this beer and since it's in cans now I thought I would revisit it, plus I've been in the mood for Rye Beers lately, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks pretty nice, it's got a nice look to it and I think it looks better than the bottle did. It poured a lightly hazy golden yellow color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy and slightly creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of rye up front that impart a nice earthy and spicy rye aroma followed by some malts that impart a bready, grainy, and caramel malt like aroma. Up next comes the hops that impart a citrus hop aroma along with a slight soapy aroma, but it's the floral hops that seem to sticking out the most and they seem to overpower the rye just a little. There's also a farmhouse funk aroma that seems out of place and it reminds me a little of some Brewery Vivant beers. The aroma was decent, but I thought the floral hops were a little too dominating and the farmhouse aroma felt a little out of place..

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some rye up front that barely comes through enough and it impart a somewhat lighter earthy and spicy rye flavor. Up next comes the malts which impart a somewhat lighter amount of grainy and bready flavors with caramel malts still seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes that weird farmhouse yeast flavor that almost reminds me a little of brett and it's still similar to some Brewery Vivant beers and it's followed by some hops with some earthy and citrus rind hop flavors and the floral hops still stick out the most but they don't dominate this beer like they did in the aroma and they impart a lighter amount of medium bitterness, with a light rye, floral hop, citrus hop and farmhouse yeast like aftertaste. The taste isn't bad, but I don't think it's what it's meant to be, the farmhouse yeast flavor isn't all that unpleasant, but it just feels out of place in this beer.

M- fairly smooth, pretty crisp, really dry, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but it wasn't the truest to style.

Overall this beer left me a little confused, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it and I thought it wasn't that true to style with the farmhouse yeast aspect and the floral hops covering up most of the spicy and earthy rye flavors that I was looking forward to. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not overly bitter and not too filling, but the flavor didn't do the best job at holding my attention because it just left me feeling confused about it. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a damn good looking beer with some really nice head and lacing. What I liked the least about this beer was the funky farmhouse aspect, it was bad, but it was unwanted in this beer and it didn't work that well with the rye flavors. I would buy a can of this again if i knew it was fresh, I'm wondering if I got an off can or they changed the recipe, i'm just not sure what's going on with this brew and I don't think I would recommend it as it is. All in all i'm still confused about this beer, I generally like those funky farmhouse flavors, but it just felt out of place in this beer and it didn't work as well with the other flavors as it does in most Farmhouse Ales, this may be why you don't hear of many Rye Farmhouse Beers. Better luck next time Arcadia, this brew just left me puzzled and nothing else. (4,015 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Reviewed on June 30,2012. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Digitized code on the bottom of the bottle.
Cloudy murky yellow orange body with a thin barely 1/2 finger head. Tons of bubbles streaming off the bottom. Smells of a light orange/citrus, couldn't pick up on too much else. Tastes of a dank orange, some rye malts and bitters on the tip of the tongue. Leaves the mouth with a dryness and seemed to be fairly thin. Overalll a decent rye beer, but not one I would seek out again. At least this one did not have a ton of floaties like the other 2 I have had from Arcadia. This was a gift from a friend. (618 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance: Sky High pours a bright pale gold. There's a bright amber peeking through with a strong visible carbonation inside. The head is a stark white and comes to about 2 fingers. It's dissipates fast and the lacing is mild. It's an attractive brew. 3.5/5

Smell: The first thing I get is a strong hoppy scent. Grapefruit is on top with an orange scent peeking out. Not as floral as I like but layered and complex enough to satisfy. The rye scent here is light and is mingling with a strong bready, yeasty character. Being a rye fan, it's almost a let down There's a faint wheat scent lurking in the background too.3.25/5

Mouthfeel: The body here is light. The carbonation definitely plays well into this. Crisp and refreshing, the body dances so lightly, if you blink, you miss it.3/5

Taste: The hops hit you first with a combination of grapefruit on top, pine needle and orange coming in the back. As the beer crosses the center of the mouth, the bread and rye start to blossom. A yeasty flavor conceals most of the rye zing that I love about a RYE beer. Sadly, as soon as the rye starts to pop the hops rally back cradling a breadiness down the throat. The end is where I get the best mix of rye, bread and hops.3.5/5

Overall: A great beer in total but a let down for the rye fan in me. The hops seem to overbear the bready, rye characteristics in the beer. Still, the flavor is great and at 6%, a six pack goes down easy with company. A good induction to Arcadia. Can't wait to see what I find next. (1,510 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: A pale pumpkin orange pour coloring shows a fine mist of both effervesce and suspended material. A golden-tan head is only skim worthy quickly parting ways to a polished surface. No window dressing.

S: Aroma of tangerine peels and fresh lemon highlights. A hint of fresh orange juice and dry rye bread.

T: Dry orange and a bit watery upfront in terms of flavor. Dry hops of citrus-orange do kick in on the trail end but only may seem significant due to the weak opening. The rye is present but ony slightly, in terms of dry peppery bready hints. Nice hop presence, a bit of spicy bite.

M: Some tingle from carbonation, medium body could use some tightening up.

O: Overall a good dose of hops with only subtle rye highlights. Dry finish. If you are looking for something in terms of rye presence you might be a bit let down. This seems to be a pale ale first sublimented with a minimal rye percentage of the bill. Dry hops are nice with a moderate appeal. Again expect more of a pale ale going in and you;ll find this of moderate enjoyment. Since this is labeled as a rye beer and not a pale ale i will judge and rate as a rye but consider the extra influence of the hops. (1,182 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured the can into a regular pint glass. Poured a slightly hazy gold color appealing to the eye for sure. Aroma came across as slightly spicy, not as much as i expect from a rye but it was definetely noticeable, light floral and citrus notes are also present. Flavor was hop forward with those floral notes coming back into play, rye became noticeable towards the end, was really looking forward to much more of a rye flavor. Finish is slightly bitter and citrus.
Overall solid beer as a whole, would drink it again, but not what I have come to expect from a rye. (565 characters)

Arcadia Sky High Rye from Arcadia Brewing Company