Arcadia Sky High Rye - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: FrognutUnl on 01-11-2009

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

I dont get to try many Ryes, so I picked this up in a mix-and-match sixer (no telling how long it has been on the shelf).
Appearance - lighter in color than I thought it would be for a Rye (appricot color, hazy, not clear).
Smell - I smelled some kind of spice, orange/tangerine which was light, and a small amount of hops...not a lot of the bisquit/bread like some of the others have mentioned. Is the spice coriander...?
Taste - pretty bitter, spicey, and a touch of the orange/tangerine.
Mouthfeel - went down fairly smooth with some lingering electricity in my mouth. Not the best taste, but I have a hard time disliking most beers.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz bottle, pours golden, nice clarity, with a thin white head that leaves limited lacing on the glass. Aromas are spicy, floral hop, biscuity. Tastes are well rounded with grapefruit zest, spicy rye, floral hop, biscuity malt. Mouth-feel is medium, moderate carbonation, tingly on the tongue, finishes semi-dry. Overall, well balanced with nice accentuation of both rye and hops. This is one that I tend to grab every now and then.

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. Pours a dark gold with a. one finger head. Carbonation bubbles continue to rise along with some odd black floaters coming from the bottom. Leaves a great amount of lacing. Smells of very odd hops and dark bread, along with some medium malt and toasted caramel. Smells weird. Tastes like a weak IPA with a goood amount of malt and hops and a huge hit of dark bread along with some obvious spices. The mouthfeel keeps all mentioned flavors but it allows a tingling spicy sensation to come through and it sticks around even minutes after the beer is finished. Overall, it was a pretty interesting beer although not something that I would prefer. The spice was just weird and it kind of ruined the beer for me.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Bought this up in Totowa yesterday, seeing that this was a Rye Beer and I hadn't had one of these in a long time. While nothing about this stood out, this was better than I expected and went down fairly easily. The bitterness was easy to enjoy and there was enough to like here that I'm glad that I have more of these in my fridge downstairs!

The pour to this was nice, with a golden hue that shone a bit and head that filled up the remainder of my pint glass. Not a lot of nose here and ditto for the lacing but the taste had a lot going for it. Lots of rye to be sure, along with a good amount of earthy bitterness, citrus zest, and straw. The mouthfeel was similar to honey and a slight metallic edge stood out in the back. It had been a while since I enjoyed a beer that was so easygoing without being light in taste and body.

The alcohol was nearly unnoticeable as well, making this a great beer to enjoy during a Summer drinking session. Lots of Ryes may be rated higher than this but few are as accessible as this one. This is worth seeking out during the waning warm weather months, for sure.

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

4.15/5  rDev +12.2%

Reviewed July 13, 2012. Bottle dated 3/27/12 (3.5 months old)

I'm reviewing this using Founders Red's Rye PA as my baseline for Rye beers.

A: Pours a nice hazy golden orange with a 1/4" cream colored head.

S: Smells sweeter than I would've expected.. I get almost exclusively citrus with just a bit of spice.

T: Taste is spicier than the nose suggests on the front, then turns nice and sweet. Mild to moderate hop bitterness doesn't hit until after the swallow, and then lingers just enough to make you want the nice sip.

M: Nice, moderate mouthfeel to start, which got a little thin as I was swirling it around the glass. Lesson learned.

O: A very nice beer. I'm not big on bitterness, but like a nice "bite", which is why I think I've liked the rye beers I've had. Not too hoppy or bitter but that rye gives just a little spiciness. Very good beer that I'll definitely have again. Overall, was on-par with the Founders, and I think I may actually like this a little better as it's a little more drinkable.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

Reviewed on June 30,2012. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Digitized code on the bottom of the bottle.
Cloudy murky yellow orange body with a thin barely 1/2 finger head. Tons of bubbles streaming off the bottom. Smells of a light orange/citrus, couldn't pick up on too much else. Tastes of a dank orange, some rye malts and bitters on the tip of the tongue. Leaves the mouth with a dryness and seemed to be fairly thin. Overalll a decent rye beer, but not one I would seek out again. At least this one did not have a ton of floaties like the other 2 I have had from Arcadia. This was a gift from a friend.

3.39/5  rDev -8.4%

Light amber honey pour, little to no head. Slight lacing. Scent of apricot, wheat and vanilla. Taste isn't quite as complex as smell, taste strikes me as a light sessionable beer, tastes of balanced citrus light on the tongue and hints of agave. If only the taste was as complex as the scent.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%