Arcadia B-Craft Black IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia B-Craft Black IPAArcadia B-Craft Black IPA

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: alleykatking on 07-27-2010)
Pat316

06-07-2012 01:23:24 | More by rudy0908
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

This beer pours pitch black with strong anise and herbal hop notes rising strong. Tan head dwindles too quickly, leaving anise black licorice notes behind it's crazy. Aroma has sharp herbal hops, black licorice anise notes, dark roasted peppery base malts. Earthy flavor, alcohol flowing fully on each sip, dark malts and dark chocolate...it's unbelievable how harsh the beer is with explosive dark anise notes. Mouthfeel is dark roasted malt sweetness with a slight alcohol burn, dry fruity finish intertwined with black malts. Overall not a beer I'm looking for anytime soon, it's full of dark fruit herbal and earth hops, it's too wild for my tastes.

06-06-2012 19:52:01 | More by WVbeergeek
buschbeer

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz bottle
Served in a nonic pint glass

A - It pours dark, allowing just a little light through to create some ruby highlights. A couple of inches of tan head made an appearance, leaving behind a skim of tan on top. It looks a lot like a porter.

S - The first scent I recognized was grapefruit. Then the roasted aromas come through. I get a little cocoa and a little coffee.

T - The hops are less prevalent in the taste. The coffee and dark chocolate are more pronounced. Delicious!

M - Medium

O - This is a very well balanced black ipa. It has to be one of the top two that I have tried in this style. I will probably be in the minority since the hops aren't overwhelming. I prefer this style to be more balanced rather than a hop bomb.

06-03-2012 16:45:29 | More by buschbeer
CFHMagnet

3.83/5  rDev -1%

A heavy pour delivered a finger of tan head over a deep brown body. Lacing can't quite hold on to the sides.

Mmm-mmm, this smells good. Grapefruit and pine start off the aroma, and its quickly followed up with brown sugar and passionfruit.

The hops on the flavor here are very mixed. I get grassy, orangey, grapefruit and pine. Conglomeration actually doesn't seem to go as well as I would expect, but it's still good. Brown sugar, light crackers and caramel finish off the end with just a hint of bakers chocolate and passionfruit.

Good carbonation bite, medium body. A little sticky on the back of the tongue, definitely dry.

06-02-2012 21:56:06 | More by CFHMagnet
TasteTester

06-02-2012 15:35:58 | More by TasteTester
superspak

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled 4/24/2012. Pours almost pitch black dark brown color with a nice 2 finger tan head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some nice soapy lacing on the glass. Aromas of big pine, grapefruit, orange rind, toast, roasted malt, herbal, earth, and light chocolate. Great aromas with big fresh hoppiness; and nice balance. Taste of big grapefruit, orange rind, pine, chocolate, roasted malt, caramel, toast, herbal, and earthy hops. Moderate citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, orange rind, pine, chocolate, roasted malt, and herbal on the finish for a while. Fantastic balance of hop flavors with the roasted malt. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a fairly creamy and slightly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming after the finish noticed. Overall this is a fantastic black IPA! Great hop and roasted malt flavor balance, and very smooth for 8.5%. Amazing stuff!

06-01-2012 03:07:47 | More by superspak

Tyrawlings

05-22-2012 00:40:23 | More by Tyrawlings
warnerry

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Pours very deep brown with less than one finger of tan head. Head fades quickly to a collar and leaves spotty lacing.

S - Initial aroma is a big blast of citrus, both juicy citrus pulp and bitter citrus zest. Orange and grapefruit are both prominent. The malt profile is heavy with chocolate, both bittersweet and a faint amount of milk chocolate, along with roasted malts. Very nice.

T - Malts and hops appear simultaneously in the taste, which is a nice blend of the same components found in the aroma. There is a nice bitter hop presence, but it melds very well with the malt profile. Not sure which hops are used in this, but they seem to be well suited for a Black Ale, bitter, but blending very well with the chocolate and roasted malts.

M - Medium mouthfeel is by turn semi-sweet, creamy, bitter and dry. Finish is a nice bitterness comprising both the hop bitterness and earthy roasted malt bitterness.

O - One of the best I've had from Arcadia, and one of the better black ales I've had.

05-21-2012 01:51:42 | More by warnerry
Gfhislop

4.93/5  rDev +27.4%

Searched for a while for this one. Many new beers take a while to get to my corner of the thumb.

A- Pours black with a light tan head, barely 1 finger thick. Webbing hangs on for quite some time

S- While you should expect a little roasty malt from this style, the hops really steal the show both here and in flavor. Very pine-forward aroma.

T- Almost instant hop eruption. Definite pine and citrus presence, possibly a mild earthiness. After it warms some, the roasty aspects come out of their shells and bring the whole thing together.

M- Appropriate for the style.

O- Definitely plays more like a DIPA than a regular black IPA. I'd say definitely worth a pick up

05-19-2012 05:50:11 | More by Gfhislop
StoutHunter

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%

I picked up a bottle of Arcadia's B-Craft Black IPA the other day for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I have heard this was a good beer so when I saw it at the store I knew I should pick up a bottle, I think this is the first time this beer has been bottled, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, Spring 2012 vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label, it has a well done picture of a white owl flying at night with a crescent moon shining in the background, looks good to me. It poured a nice dark black color that took on some dark ruby highlights when held to the light. It had two and a half fingers worth of smooth dark tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a nice amount of lacing. This is a good looking American Black Ale, it's on par for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a good amount of hops that are mainly citrus with some grapefruit, mango, blood orange, and pineapple sticking out the most, there was also some piney and floral hops aromas but it was the citrus that stuck out the most. Next after that comes the malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart a medium amount of roasted malts, brown sugar, and chocolate aromas. This is a great smelling beer, it had great balance and the aromas worked very well together.

T- The taste of this beer is very similar to the aroma, it starts off with lots of hops, I find that the citrus hops stick out the most imparting all those great citrus fruit aspects that I got in the aroma, it has a really well done hop profile. Next comes the malts which have a medium amount of roast to them and a medium amount of sweetness, they impart some nice, roasted, milk chocolate and dark chocolate flavors. It had a pretty low amount of bitterness with a roasty, hoppy, and a little citrusy aftertaste. This was a very good tasting American Black Ale, the flavors were bold, but there was also lots of balance and complexity.

M- Very smooth, creamy, rich, on the thick side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice, it was very smooth and the added creaminess was nice.

Overall I have to say that I really enjoyed this beer and I thought that this was a great example of an American Black Ale, the hop profile mixed very well with the malt base which made for a very complex and great tasting beer. This beer had great drinkability it was very smooth and hardly had any bitterness which I wasn't expecting, this beer went down way faster and if I had another one I would for sure drink it, the alcohol was hidden very well also, there's no doubt that a couple of these would for sure hit the spot. What I liked most about this beer was pretty much everything, I can't think of anything I would want to change, it's great just the way it is. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, I wish it was just a little cheaper, but with a limited release I can't really complain. I would for sure buy this beer again, in fact I will be getting more in day or two and I highly recommend this beer to just about anyone, it's just that damn good. Arcadia did an awesome job with this beer, I have found that they can be hit or miss sometimes, but in this case it was a huge hit, I am now a big fan of this beer, and I think it's pretty safe to say that this is now my favorite American Black Ale, and one of my favorite beers from Arcadia, North Peak's Furry used to be my favorite but this beer is better in almost every aspect, I am glad they bottled this beer, I can see a lot more of this beer in my future.

05-17-2012 03:50:55 | More by StoutHunter

IPx

05-14-2012 06:14:19 | More by IPx
GRPunk

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle poured into a nonic pint.

B-Craft Black Double India Pale Ale. Black Ale? Imperial IPA? Both?

A- A careful, one handed, pour created a 1/2 finger, tan head that fades to a thin foam. The body is nearly black with deep, dark brown edges. Light stick left on the glass.

S- Right as I pop the cap, there's a really fresh, organic, hoppy aroma. It's almost, how do I put this, schwag? It only opens up even more after the pour. Light hints of sweet malts give an impression of brown sugar. Maybe a hint of chocolate.

T- Initial hit of those fresh, organic hops. Medicinal, herbal even. Just as I think it's all hops, rich malts come through. Toasted and chocolate-like. Like a quality made milk chocolate or even a rich chocolate milkshake. Hops come through again at the finish to make an oddly pleasant combination of flavors. Hoppy chocolate?

M- Rich and smooth. Thick, and creamy with a moderate-light carbonation that really compliments.

O- A really nice brew. Seems pretty unique at this point, combining the newer "American Black Ale" and Imperial IPA styles. Things work really well together. It's difficult to explain. It's something of a hoppy Imperial Stout, but not really. Glad I bought it. At around $2.50 for a single, it's not an everyday beer, but certainly doesn't break the bank. I would buy it again.

05-13-2012 21:13:39 | More by GRPunk
BellsFan

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance. Deluged into a Lakefront twelve ounce glass from a bottle of the same volume. Halfway through the pour on to the side of the tilted glass there was no noticeable foaming. Because I'm a proponent of foam (I think it releases more aroma) I continued the pour directly into the beer with an eye toward generating some aromatic foam. My technique must have been flawed because I only managed to make an eighth inch of brown foam that quickly scattered into nothing.

Nose. Amazing green hops.

Taste. Bitter, tart, resonous, delicious.

Mouthfeel. Full, spicy.

Overall. Get me another! Oh wait, how much alcohol is in this?

05-12-2012 00:11:31 | More by BellsFan
lainiwakura

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

05-08-2012 22:28:06 | More by lainiwakura
dudecandle

05-07-2012 23:20:02 | More by dudecandle
hosehead83

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Dark brown/black in color, with a short ,tan head of foam.
Aroma-Dank, resinious hops
Taste-Roasty,mocha coffee, then onrush of those dank, resin hops that throw off the balance of flavor in my opinion. Finishes dry and unsettled.
not terrible, but I was hoping for better.

05-07-2012 18:10:50 | More by hosehead83
adamdd

05-06-2012 00:25:17 | More by adamdd
schoolboy

4.45/5  rDev +15%

Wow. This is a powerful ale. It has a ton of aromatics going on. Hops, roasty. Wow. Niceand unique smell.

The taste is similarly hoppy. A piney hoppiness is in this. It also has a lot of burnt (not really roast) flavor.

I would buy this again looking for a unique stron ale, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes hoppy stuff.

05-05-2012 23:54:14 | More by schoolboy