Arcadia B-Craft Black IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia B-Craft Black IPAArcadia B-Craft Black IPA

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: alleykatking on 07-27-2010)
mdcrouser

Missouri

4.39/5  rDev +13.4%

Looks like I'm about to condemn myself to the dark side with this one - like sin poured from the bottle. This one happens to include a creamy head.

Big citrus, with some roastiness in the background. Inviting, but not overwhelmingly so.

Bright, grapefruit, other citrus, followed by cocoa and even some roasted coffee - exceptionally complex. Fading, mildly spicy and wholly soothing hops deliver a long, clean close.

Low carbonation, but I'm not missing it. The existing flavors provide ample presence on their own.

Really great, very enjoyable beer - way beyond expectation based on other Arcadia's I've had. Easily drinkable, with alcohol content barely noticable.

02-09-2013 04:43:04 | More by mdcrouser
bnes09

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%

Jet black with ruby hues when held to light. Just shy of opaque. Light tan head with exceptional retention and great lacing especially for the strength.

Mildly roasted, smoky aromas. Powerful floral and pine scent.

Solid malt backbone of wheat toast and rye. Aggressive pine and grapefruit hop bitterness. Ground pepper. Alcohol is there but out-shined by the hops. Great balance for such strong flavors.

Sturdy medium to full bodied, right between a stout and a double stout and just a hair thicker than your standard DIPA. Exceptional, sharp, snappy carbonation which adds to the hop flavor.

Great black DIPA. First example of the style I had tried. Glad someone thought of this style. It was a great idea and well executed.

10-17-2012 04:35:57 | More by bnes09
FightingEntropy

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%

Nearly opaque black beer with ruby highlights in a strong back light from the summer sunset for my draft on site. Thick, light brown head with extremely tight bubbles. Clean and clear singular hop in the nose with a burnt biscuit and heavy malt underneath. First taste is burnt, charcoal tasting, but, oddly, no smoke. Heavy handed on the patent malt or similar? Very nice. Hops kick in quickly and the light spice and floral of the nose turns into a clean, spicy bite on the tongue. Well balanced and fun. Roast/burnt qualities mellow as this 8.5% IPA warms and is still refreshing on a hot summer night.

07-28-2011 16:22:33 | More by FightingEntropy
superspak

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled 4/24/2012. Pours almost pitch black dark brown color with a nice 2 finger tan head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some nice soapy lacing on the glass. Aromas of big pine, grapefruit, orange rind, toast, roasted malt, herbal, earth, and light chocolate. Great aromas with big fresh hoppiness; and nice balance. Taste of big grapefruit, orange rind, pine, chocolate, roasted malt, caramel, toast, herbal, and earthy hops. Moderate citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, orange rind, pine, chocolate, roasted malt, and herbal on the finish for a while. Fantastic balance of hop flavors with the roasted malt. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a fairly creamy and slightly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming after the finish noticed. Overall this is a fantastic black IPA! Great hop and roasted malt flavor balance, and very smooth for 8.5%. Amazing stuff!

06-01-2012 03:07:47 | More by superspak
schoolboy

4.45/5  rDev +15%

Wow. This is a powerful ale. It has a ton of aromatics going on. Hops, roasty. Wow. Niceand unique smell.

The taste is similarly hoppy. A piney hoppiness is in this. It also has a lot of burnt (not really roast) flavor.

I would buy this again looking for a unique stron ale, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes hoppy stuff.

05-05-2012 23:54:14 | More by schoolboy
StoutHunter

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%

I picked up a bottle of Arcadia's B-Craft Black IPA the other day for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I have heard this was a good beer so when I saw it at the store I knew I should pick up a bottle, I think this is the first time this beer has been bottled, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, Spring 2012 vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label, it has a well done picture of a white owl flying at night with a crescent moon shining in the background, looks good to me. It poured a nice dark black color that took on some dark ruby highlights when held to the light. It had two and a half fingers worth of smooth dark tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a nice amount of lacing. This is a good looking American Black Ale, it's on par for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a good amount of hops that are mainly citrus with some grapefruit, mango, blood orange, and pineapple sticking out the most, there was also some piney and floral hops aromas but it was the citrus that stuck out the most. Next after that comes the malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart a medium amount of roasted malts, brown sugar, and chocolate aromas. This is a great smelling beer, it had great balance and the aromas worked very well together.

T- The taste of this beer is very similar to the aroma, it starts off with lots of hops, I find that the citrus hops stick out the most imparting all those great citrus fruit aspects that I got in the aroma, it has a really well done hop profile. Next comes the malts which have a medium amount of roast to them and a medium amount of sweetness, they impart some nice, roasted, milk chocolate and dark chocolate flavors. It had a pretty low amount of bitterness with a roasty, hoppy, and a little citrusy aftertaste. This was a very good tasting American Black Ale, the flavors were bold, but there was also lots of balance and complexity.

M- Very smooth, creamy, rich, on the thick side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice, it was very smooth and the added creaminess was nice.

Overall I have to say that I really enjoyed this beer and I thought that this was a great example of an American Black Ale, the hop profile mixed very well with the malt base which made for a very complex and great tasting beer. This beer had great drinkability it was very smooth and hardly had any bitterness which I wasn't expecting, this beer went down way faster and if I had another one I would for sure drink it, the alcohol was hidden very well also, there's no doubt that a couple of these would for sure hit the spot. What I liked most about this beer was pretty much everything, I can't think of anything I would want to change, it's great just the way it is. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, I wish it was just a little cheaper, but with a limited release I can't really complain. I would for sure buy this beer again, in fact I will be getting more in day or two and I highly recommend this beer to just about anyone, it's just that damn good. Arcadia did an awesome job with this beer, I have found that they can be hit or miss sometimes, but in this case it was a huge hit, I am now a big fan of this beer, and I think it's pretty safe to say that this is now my favorite American Black Ale, and one of my favorite beers from Arcadia, North Peak's Furry used to be my favorite but this beer is better in almost every aspect, I am glad they bottled this beer, I can see a lot more of this beer in my future.

05-17-2012 03:50:55 | More by StoutHunter

Arch578

07-30-2014 09:59:15 | More by Arch578
b3shine

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Draft to tulip (at Hop Cat in Grand Rapids, MI, which is a PHENOMENAL beer bar. Everything about this beer is GREAT! The best black IPA I've ever had. Black as midnight with a great bouquet of hops and malts. The taste has great balance. And by balance, I mean the hops and malt are equally over-the-top and complement each other nicely. And the mouthfeel is great too. Surprisingly refreshing for its genre. I'd drink it again and again - if it was made with any regularity :(

09-05-2011 17:03:21 | More by b3shine
Quik4life3

06-22-2012 03:24:37 | More by Quik4life3
RoryOMoore

02-13-2013 05:19:47 | More by RoryOMoore
stevedem

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

Unfortunately I didn't have any idea I'd be having this so I didn't take any notes or anything.

Look: It's black with a off white head that hung around for a while.

Smell: floral

Taste: Pleasantly bitter and floral/fruity.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth

Drinkablity: If it wasn't as strong as it is I could drink it all night. I'd get it again in an instant.

Got it on-tap at Hopcat in Grand Rapids, MI