Arcadia B-Craft Black IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia B-Craft Black IPAArcadia B-Craft Black IPA

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: alleykatking on 07-27-2010)
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Dark cola like pour that leaves a very thin head.

Aroma is extremely unique, grapefruit, orange with some dark chocolate like notes to it. A completely new beer smell for me and something I really like.

Taste starts with some citrus, and then mellows into more of a typical porter taste with coffee and chocolate. Gentle pine in the finish, and I like the that hops continue throughout the taste.

I have never been a huge fan of black IPA style, but this one sets the new highwater mark. A really good beer and one I plan to have many more of. Another winner from Arcadia.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tried this on tap at the Detroit Fall Beer Festival. Obviously from the name it's a Black IPA. It pours a surprisingly clear black, with fizzy head. There are notes of grapefruit and leather. The darker notes give this an interesting twist on a traditional IPA.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

Unfortunately I didn't have any idea I'd be having this so I didn't take any notes or anything.

Look: It's black with a off white head that hung around for a while.

Smell: floral

Taste: Pleasantly bitter and floral/fruity.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth

Drinkablity: If it wasn't as strong as it is I could drink it all night. I'd get it again in an instant.

Got it on-tap at Hopcat in Grand Rapids, MI

3.96/5  rDev +2.6%

Great roasted malt flavor, mixes well with the strong hop flavor and aroma. Foam head was nothing special but the beer had a very good smell; floral hops with dark barley scent.
Leaves a bit of an aftertaste where you can tell there is a potent amount of alcohol. Overall, great beer to try.

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured in brussells glass on tap at Beer Kitchen in KC

A: deep dark black, small one finger head, whiter than I expected. Great lacing. The white/black contrast looks really nice.

S: this is my favorite part about the beer. Sweet and malty, a hint of sawdust and a little chocolate. No scent of alcohol.

T: the description on Beer Kitchen's menu is pretty accurate. "Citrus, dark malt, earthy, pine, slight sweetness, moderate bitter finish." The only thing I disagree with is the "slight sweetness." I actually get a lot of sweetness on this pour. I really like the flavor, and if you enjoy bitter endings, this one does it.

M: good feel, not heavy, excellent carbonation, easily drinkable beer. It does have a little burn after a few sips. I didn't notice at first, but the feel is similar to a whiskey shot but not quite as powerful.

O: excellent black IPA. I'm really satisfied with the complexities and sweetness. Again, I love how this beer smells. Even though I had it on tap, I did look at the bottle label online. The label solidified my desire to drink this over Halloween season. It just gives you that warm fall feeling while maintaining the hoppiness and bitterness of an IPA.

Arcadia B-Craft Black IPA from Arcadia Brewing Company