Arcadia B-Craft Black IPA - Arcadia Brewing Company

American Black Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: alleykatking on 07-27-2010

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.11/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Pours a dark brown, verging on black with about an inch of light brown head that slowly dwindles until only a thinn layer is left on the surface of the beer.

S: Roasty malt notes on the bottom with citrus and pine aromas floating above.

T: Hop bitterness up front followed by some thick roasted malt flavors that fade into some nice hop pine notes which linger.

M: Fairly light on the tongue while still having a bit of residual sweetness. The astringency from the dark malts and hops balance the sugar out so it isn't overbalanced one way or the other.

O: A solid BIPA. They combine the dark flavors with the hops in a balanced way that keeps the astringency from being too much, but while still keeping this a pretty sippable beer. Especially considering its ABV. Definitely worth a try.

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

On tap at Asheleys in Ann Arbor.

Pours a dense, black but oily pour, very little white lacing, no head. Black licorice, plum, dark roast coffee, vanilla bean, some citrusy to grapefruit hoppy notes in the nose.

Big beer this one, ABV comes in at under 10% and it hides the alcohol well. Much more of the hop flavor comes through in the finish and lingers on the palate for quite some time. Dark roast to acrid offee, raisin bread, beet sugar, cleaning solution to rubber band phenol.

I have been told by some that Arcadia is a really under-appreciated brewery in MI having to compete with the likes of Founders and Bells (but that is a little apples to oranges IMO). This beer impressed me by its creativity and boldness from Arcadia which has lacked in "signature" beers.

I must admit this is pretty much the first Arcadia I have really liked, Hopmouth has become tiresome at this point even though I know it still sells.

4.33/5  rDev +11%

I found this at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

This is one of my first forays into black IPA's and I quite enjoyed it.

It pours very dark, almost soda-like, without the carbonation. Although I lack the nose for most of the aromas, you can definitely smell a hint of pine and other citrus fruits.

Goes down smoothly, which belies the 8 and change ABV. A very good brew.

4.24/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Dark cola like pour that leaves a very thin head.

Aroma is extremely unique, grapefruit, orange with some dark chocolate like notes to it. A completely new beer smell for me and something I really like.

Taste starts with some citrus, and then mellows into more of a typical porter taste with coffee and chocolate. Gentle pine in the finish, and I like the that hops continue throughout the taste.

I have never been a huge fan of black IPA style, but this one sets the new highwater mark. A really good beer and one I plan to have many more of. Another winner from Arcadia.

3.47/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tried this on tap at the Detroit Fall Beer Festival. Obviously from the name it's a Black IPA. It pours a surprisingly clear black, with fizzy head. There are notes of grapefruit and leather. The darker notes give this an interesting twist on a traditional IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

Unfortunately I didn't have any idea I'd be having this so I didn't take any notes or anything.

Look: It's black with a off white head that hung around for a while.

Smell: floral

Taste: Pleasantly bitter and floral/fruity.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth

Drinkablity: If it wasn't as strong as it is I could drink it all night. I'd get it again in an instant.

Got it on-tap at Hopcat in Grand Rapids, MI

3.96/5  rDev +1.5%

Great roasted malt flavor, mixes well with the strong hop flavor and aroma. Foam head was nothing special but the beer had a very good smell; floral hops with dark barley scent.
Leaves a bit of an aftertaste where you can tell there is a potent amount of alcohol. Overall, great beer to try.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured in brussells glass on tap at Beer Kitchen in KC

A: deep dark black, small one finger head, whiter than I expected. Great lacing. The white/black contrast looks really nice.

S: this is my favorite part about the beer. Sweet and malty, a hint of sawdust and a little chocolate. No scent of alcohol.

T: the description on Beer Kitchen's menu is pretty accurate. "Citrus, dark malt, earthy, pine, slight sweetness, moderate bitter finish." The only thing I disagree with is the "slight sweetness." I actually get a lot of sweetness on this pour. I really like the flavor, and if you enjoy bitter endings, this one does it.

M: good feel, not heavy, excellent carbonation, easily drinkable beer. It does have a little burn after a few sips. I didn't notice at first, but the feel is similar to a whiskey shot but not quite as powerful.

O: excellent black IPA. I'm really satisfied with the complexities and sweetness. Again, I love how this beer smells. Even though I had it on tap, I did look at the bottle label online. The label solidified my desire to drink this over Halloween season. It just gives you that warm fall feeling while maintaining the hoppiness and bitterness of an IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +26.2%

Searched for a while for this one. Many new beers take a while to get to my corner of the thumb.

A- Pours black with a light tan head, barely 1 finger thick. Webbing hangs on for quite some time

S- While you should expect a little roasty malt from this style, the hops really steal the show both here and in flavor. Very pine-forward aroma.

T- Almost instant hop eruption. Definite pine and citrus presence, possibly a mild earthiness. After it warms some, the roasty aspects come out of their shells and bring the whole thing together.

M- Appropriate for the style.

O- Definitely plays more like a DIPA than a regular black IPA. I'd say definitely worth a pick up

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last