Arcadia Loch Down Scotch Ale - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

OG 1080; 28 IBU
Formerly called Arcadia Scotch Ale

(Beer added by: zerk on 10-02-2002)
annamaria1231

11-30-2012 02:52:44 | More by annamaria1231
XenonX

1.5/5  rDev -58.8%

04-28-2012 00:59:03 | More by XenonX
SometimesIfart

1.65/5  rDev -54.7%

My brother picked up a 6 pack of this at a local Kroger and he handed me one. The appearance is a very dark brown, almost black, With a smell of stale burnt toast. The taste pretty much follows the smell, Except it adds a slight sour, dark coffee flavor. The mouthfeel is fairly warming for a moment, However it then just regains it's sour dark coffee flavoring. Did not like this beer at all. I am definitely not a fan of Scotch Ale in any way shape or form.

06-17-2012 04:14:20 | More by SometimesIfart
kp29

Arizona

1.75/5  rDev -51.9%

12-31-2012 06:03:26 | More by kp29
jwc215

Wisconsin

1.95/5  rDev -46.4%

Pours very dark brown with a huge foamy tan head that descends, quite loudly to a rocky cover then a thin lid that eventually disappears.

The smell is fruity, yeasty and sour. A hint of caramel and a touch of peat are subdued.

The taste is sweet, sour and fruity. Some caramel and only a vague hint of peat are present - though they take some patience to allow them to come through at all. The Pacific NW hops - usually welcomed - do nothing here and seem out of place. It's off on the style, and is too clumsy as a beer regardless of style. Sourness is too dominating. Sweetness is misplaced.

It is on the lighter side of medium bodied. The rush of carbonation in the first half disappears in the second, leaving something of a watery character to the body.

Too flawed to be enjoyable. Misses the boat on the style. Odd.

12-09-2007 17:16:17 | More by jwc215
NJpadreFan

2.17/5  rDev -40.4%

Arcadia- Scottish Ale

Appearance- Reddish brown (looks like cola) with an enormous head That won't go down.
Smell- Sweet caramel malt with corn syrup.
Taste- Like flat coca-cola. Caramel malt and coke syrup.
Mouthfeel- Flat and sweet. Sour aftertaste.

Overall- tasted like flat coke thats been in the fridge for a month. Bleech.

04-15-2007 18:27:18 | More by NJpadreFan
bditty187

Nebraska

2.2/5  rDev -39.6%

Notes from August:

Dark brown with garnet highlights; beige foam that was quite loud as it dissipated. At the apex the head was only a half finger tall and the bubbles rapidly faded to a soapy collar. I am not impressed. There was no subsequent lacing. At best I’d call the appearance decent.

Very faint dark fruit hints with some caramel suggestions. Extremely low potency… this is unbelievable, I can hardly smell anything. My bottle was near room temperature when I poured it. Yikes. The nose is awful; I can’t smell a damn thing!

The palate is malty, alcoholic, and fruity with a vegetable twang along with plenty of diacetyl. What I taste is totally unpleasant. Harsh aftertaste and cloyingly sweet… I’d rather taste nothing over this mess. Gross.

Medium/medium-full in body, low carbonation, the mouthfeel is adequate.

This beer shows signs of respectability but it is too flawed. I love Scotch Ales but this one is a joke. Is my bottle bad? It would seem but not much from Arcadia has impressed me much. Surely not every beer I’ve tried (aside from London Porter) was off? What are the odds? Maybe this brewery doesn’t do it for me. Nevertheless, thank you RedHaze for the opportunity.

10-10-2006 14:26:14 | More by bditty187
vinny21bal

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

01-30-2014 05:11:25 | More by vinny21bal
kdahnke123

Indiana

2.28/5  rDev -37.4%

Poured into snifter. From brewery so presume to be recent bottling.
A - Thin medium brown pour with minimal head.
S - Smells sour, like an old stale beer.
T - Tast is similar to the smell. The sourness overwhelms any malt or hops that could show through.
M - Thin, lightly carbonated.
O - Not a good representation of a Scotch Ale.

02-17-2014 20:53:40 | More by kdahnke123
BasementDweller

2.3/5  rDev -36.8%

Can someone PLEASE tell me what all the fuss is about? I really tried to like this beer. Heck, I tried to like ALL of Arcadia's stuff, but I just can't do it in good conscience. Where's the smoke?? Where's the peat?? The commercial description says plums, toffee, caramel and roasted chestnuts, but all I could taste was (unsmoked) malt. Talk about unremarkable, while I was drinking this beer I thought to myself, "Hey, I should be drinking beer," followed by, "Oh wait, I guess I am."

Okay, technical stuff:

Pours brown, tan head. Aroma is malty, I guess, but utterly without character. If pressed to describe the aroma further, I guess I'd say, "dark malt, touch of earth," but that's just about it. On the palate this beer is thin with bland malt character. Low carbonation (standard) and too light in body for the style. It doesn't taste bad, per se, but it also doesn't taste like much of anything.

12-29-2008 21:43:29 | More by BasementDweller
billybob

2.33/5  rDev -36%

don't like to do this but this beer just does not do it for me. pours a murky brown color with a small head with a hard pour and almost no lacing. smells of roasted malt and alcohol. tastes the same with some sweetness. mouthfeel light and carbontion ok. no complexity to this beer and i tried it at three differant times.

12-13-2007 19:11:36 | More by billybob
baos

Indiana

2.4/5  rDev -34.1%

12 oz into Atlas Mason jar.

A: Doesn't look too bad as it pour a drak brown, except theres a serous lack of head.

S: An off caramelly smell, and a sour rum smell.

T: Nicht so gut. A sour-bitter caramel. Maybe I got an old bottle or a bad batch.

M: Not terrible.

D: I dumped it. Maybe next time I'm up in Michigan, Papa.

02-05-2008 02:17:06 | More by baos

larbush

11-17-2012 03:39:42 | More by larbush
Mitchster

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

Nice looking brew pours out to a clear mahogany color with pretty ruby highlights and forms a thin, but creamy light tan head atop small to medium-sized bubbles. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is potent with caramel, toffee, nutty character, and a fruity ferment. Hops are barely there, with no smoke character noted. Mouthfeel is extremely soft and smooth with a medium body. Lacing is sparse. Taste begins unpleasantly with some strong and nasty off-character fusel and isopropyl alcohols, leading into a metallic note, but halfway through, this beer becomes tolerable. The wet, soft finish is characterized by nutty, toffee amber malts with a subtle light molasses note and some faint rubbery hops. Smoke is not perceptable. It looks nice and has a nice finish, but that's not enough to make me want to recommend this brew to anyone, even Scotch Ale lovers. It seems these Peter Austin systems make all beers taste the same...this is the 3rd brewery I've tasted to use them, and they all brew unimpressive beers. Yawn...

03-10-2003 15:08:24 | More by Mitchster
dsa7783

2.55/5  rDev -29.9%

Single, 12 oz bottle copped from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield...
Pours a deep, dark-brown hue with a modest foamy head and no lacing to speak of...
Dusty, malty, slightly bitter aroma that wasn't too enticing or appealing...
Taste seemed unnatural and artifical and way too unbalanced and sweet for a Scotch Ale - heavy on the malts, but shaky on the overly sweet and nutty flavors that dominate this one...
Based on aroma and flavor, this had to be one of the most mediocore samples of the style, despitely the relatively hefty 7.5% ABV...
Artifical mouthfeel coupled with a poor level of drinkability make this an inferior suggestion of the style... poor stuff from Arcadia - really expected more from them than this sub-par offering...
Not recommended...

03-29-2008 21:58:45 | More by dsa7783
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

Pours a very dark brown, giving way to burgundy hues when held up to light. Small, light brown head that retains very well for what's there. Aroma is very earthy, very malty, figs, citrus notes. Taste is characterized by a very off flavor. Slightly sour and tart and just way off. Underneath that, their is earthy malty flavors and finishes with a dry hop, bitter flavor. Subtle Peat Moss on the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is kind of light bodied for the style in my opinion. Very carbonated and dry finish. Fair drinkability. Better Scotch Ales out there. I'm not sure what that off flavor that gets in the way of the taste is all about.

02-10-2008 00:18:53 | More by Doomcifer
joshsbeerblog

2.73/5  rDev -25%

my first michigan beer. we don't get many of the midwestern beers here in massachusetts, and the ones we get aren't really the ones you want. exhibit a, right here.

unusually dark. sweet malts capture nose and a little spice. not a bad taste, but a little muddled: bready, spiced, molasses. medium bodied, very lively in mouth. but a pretty dull wee heavy.

02-11-2009 03:52:12 | More by joshsbeerblog
brandoman63

11-22-2011 21:53:21 | More by brandoman63
bnes09

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

Dark leather brown. Fairly weak head that forms some lacing.

Big malty aroma of wheat toast, molasses and almonds.

Malty flavor, toasty, cherry sweetness. Rough and stale hop flavor ruins the experience. Old and musty aftertaste. Unpleasant.

Medium to full bodied. Low carbonation and strange texture with a dry finish.

I'll pass on this one. I am a fan of scotch ales but this is just not good.

11-28-2011 02:28:19 | More by bnes09

thinwhiteduke

03-16-2014 01:53:19 | More by thinwhiteduke
Alextricity

2.76/5  rDev -24.2%

Appearance: Looks like Coke or something -- dark reddish brown with about a finger of head that quickly bubbles away. Absolutely no lacing whatsoever, and very few bubbles stick to the side of the glass.

Smell: Really Scotchy with some traces of alcohol. Caramel malts are there as well, but this is distinctively Scotch-like.

Taste/feel: Now, there's no bottle date on this, but I have to think it's past its prime. Dark fruits and Scotch on the front, and it really stays the same the whole way through. Slight bitter aftertaste. Quite carbonated, and with a pretty thin feel.

This is the second Scotch Ale that I've had in a row (the other being Innis & Gun's Oak Aged) that has just been unappealing to me. This is considerably better than the I&G beer I had, but I still feel like it has to be an old bottle. It looks ugly, it smells "bleh", and it doesn't taste very good. I'd say it could be because I don't like the style, but I find Dirty Bastard and Old Chub to both be tasty brews. Not feeling this one by Arcadia.

04-07-2013 19:56:40 | More by Alextricity